Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Netflix is acting weird right now. Hopefully this doesn’t affect the movie. They seem to be cutting lots of corners and acting rather crazy .
Netflix sucks, that's why. I dumped it even though I was getting it almost free with T-Mobile (was just paying difference in rate increase) and Witcher S2 was the final straw.

They've pissed a lot of people off by making random shows to check a demographic box then canceling it after a season or two.

Elon Musk called it a "woke mind virus!" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

I heard that Snyder's zombie film was such a dissapointment. I don't think his sci-fi film will be any different. I only saw his DCEU films and i hated them. This guy shouldn't get anymore jobs, what is it with hollywood being so hack friendly. lol

I hope he can achieve the substance over style in this one. Longshot, I know.

Well, except that here style is going to be such a huge part of what makes this film work. The basic story is based on the Seven Samurai so that part will hopefully be fine. Otherwise it’s about building a mythology and a setting. Worldbuilding stuff.

I heard that Snyder's zombie film was such a dissapointment. I don't think his sci-fi film will be any different. I only saw his DCEU films and i hated them. This guy shouldn't get anymore jobs, what is it with hollywood being so hack friendly. lol

I thought it was decent for a Zombie flick, athough I’m really not that into that particular genre. Not into horror in general for that matter.

Snyder is going to build the world out, and reportedly this first movie just scratches the surface. The zombie virus escaped from Area 51, and the future installments are going to develop that further. There’s also a time travel element. I’m looking forward to see where it goes.

The only zombie movie I think I’ve actually liked is World War Z. (And it's not like I loved it. But it definitely held my interest throughout. Probably because it was the most grounded take I think I've seen for the genre.)

Last edited:
It is being said that Robert Eggers is taking the sophisticated adult genre spotlight that Snyder was working on conquering.

With The Northman being what it has become I say that Eggers is off to a good start at achieving what Snyder has been chasing his entire career.

It is being said that Robert Eggers is taking the sophisticated adult genre spotlight that Snyder was working on conquering.

With The Northman being what it has become I say that Eggers is off to a good start at achieving what Snyder has been chasing his entire career.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to check it out.

Zack Snyder is one of the most interesting directors we have working now. He was an early pioneer in the "green screen" style of fantasy filmmaking with 300 that really represented the future of filmmaking. We have so many bland-looking movies coming out now, and his are still some of the best-looking. In that way, he's continuing on in the tradition of George Lucas, Ridley Scott and James Cameron, the same way that Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro are.

Snyder's an auteur, who is not out there trying to "appeal to a demographic" or pander to the lowest common denominator. His movies feel like unique visions and not faded carbon copies of last year's hit. He's making movies how he believes they should be made, and asking the audience to take his vision as it is or leave it. That gives him the bold individuality and independence of directors like Scorsese, Shyamalan, Nolan or Villeneuve. Yet, at the same time, his movies are not pretentious arthouse fare, which is just another form of pandering in filmmaking.

Snyder is willing to give you deep thinking and big-budget eye candy at the same time, which is something that's been sorely lacking since George Lucas delivered it in all of his Star Wars movies. It's a real rarity to get groundbreaking, visionary imagery married with intelligent, thoughtful content in movies today. I feel really lucky to have Snyder out there. Movies seem to be getting less interesting from year to year, but he's one of the few filmmakers that still makes them feel fresh, unique, original and exciting.

As for Army of the Dead, it has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so not everybody thought it was disappointing.

I don't think Snyder has been chasing "sophisticated adult" audiences. Just like Lucas with his Star Wars films, he's simply aiming to give us an entertainment spectacle that isn't dumbed down or simplified. He's making movies from the clear perspective of an adult comic book, sci-fi, fantasy or horror geek. His movies are for people who love historically disreputable genres but think they should be made with depth, respect and intelligence rather than contempt, cynicism and condescension.

As for Eggers, his films don't seem to be connecting with general audiences, with their low audience scores (Cinemascore and Rotten Tomatoes audience rating) and meager box office takings. Northman had a large budget increase over his first two movies, and it looks like it's going to be a financial failure. He seems to be strictly appealing to the arthouse crowd. Giving him a $70–90 million budget and a big marketing campaign for Northman looks to have been an unwise move.

Dude... You don't know what an art film is. An art film is a groundbreaking, visionary imagery married with intelligent, thoughtful content in a film. You describe a deep art film by that. It is not something else and trying to make ''intelegent'' ''deep'' action blockbuster films make Snyder a pretentious hack. His films are all pretentious **** fests.

Last edited:
Zack Snyder is one of the most interesting directors we have working now. He was an early pioneer in the "green screen" style of fantasy filmmaking with 300 that really represented the future of filmmaking. We have so many bland-looking movies coming out now, and his are still some of the best-looking. In that way, he's continuing on in the tradition of George Lucas, Ridley Scott and James Cameron, the same way that Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro are.

Snyder's an auteur, who is not out there trying to "appeal to a demographic" or pander to the lowest common denominator. His movies feel like unique visions and not faded carbon copies of last year's hit. He's making movies how he believes they should be made, and asking the audience to take his vision as it is or leave it. That gives him the bold individuality and independence of directors like Scorsese, Shyamalan, Nolan or Villeneuve. Yet, at the same time, his movies are not pretentious arthouse fare, which is just another form of pandering in filmmaking.

Snyder is willing to give you deep thinking and big-budget eye candy at the same time, which is something that's been sorely lacking since George Lucas delivered it in all of his Star Wars movies. It's a real rarity to get groundbreaking, visionary imagery married with intelligent, thoughtful content in movies today. I feel really lucky to have Snyder out there. Movies seem to be getting less interesting from year to year, but he's one of the few filmmakers that still makes them feel fresh, unique, original and exciting.

As for Army of the Dead, it has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so not everybody thought it was disappointing.

I don't think Snyder has been chasing "sophisticated adult" audiences. Just like Lucas with his Star Wars films, he's simply aiming to give us an entertainment spectacle that isn't dumbed down or simplified. He's making movies from the clear perspective of an adult comic book, sci-fi, fantasy or horror geek. His movies are for people who love historically disreputable genres but think they should be made with depth, respect and intelligence rather than contempt, cynicism and condescension.

As for Eggers, his films don't seem to be connecting with general audiences, with their low audience scores (Cinemascore and Rotten Tomatoes audience rating) and meager box office takings. Northman had a large budget increase over his first two movies, and it looks like it's going to be a financial failure. He seems to be strictly appealing to the arthouse crowd. Giving him a $70–90 million budget and a big marketing campaign for Northman looks to have been an unwise move.
Which of snyders films is “ deep thinking” and on par with the directors you mentioned. Not being mean. Just curious on you what you think .

I actually agree that Snyder's CBM's have more depth, personality, vision, social commentary and analysis than practically any other blockbuster-type CBM, but I wouldn't put him on a page with the likes of Scorsese.

I do believe he's one of those "maverick" type of directors (I think there was a book that called those late 60's early 70's directors -Scorsese, Coppola, Altman, Bogdanovich, etc- "mavericks"), who has a very idiosyncratic style and a very strong vision of what his films should be like.

Dude... You don't know what an art film is. An art film is a groundbreaking, visionary imagery married with intelligent, thoughtful content in a film. You describe a deep art film by that. It is not something else and trying to make ''intelegent'' ''deep'' action blockbuster films make Snyder a pretentious hack. His films are all pretentious **** fests.

There’s no actual analysis here on your part is there? This looks to me like it’s just bashing. Is what you’re actually saying “I dislike it so therefore it’s ‘bad’?”

There’s no actual analysis here on your part is there? This looks to me like it’s just bashing. Is what you’re actually saying “I dislike it so therefore it’s ‘bad’?”
what analysis do you want ? i'm not a profecional film critic. You make the deep analysis then, let me answer to that. And actualy, there is analysis there in my previous mesage as snyder tries to make action block buster art films and that is ridiculously pretentious, if you don't have what it takes to get that from my post, that is your problem. Now lets see your deep analysis about snyder films ? start them rolling.

what analysis do you want ? i'm not a profecional film critic. You make the deep analysis then, let me answer to that. And actualy, there is analysis there in my previous mesage as snyder tries to make action block buster art films and that is ridiculously pretentious, if you don't have what it takes to get that from my post, that is your problem. Now lets see your deep analysis about snyder films ? start them rolling.

Darren Mooney of Escapist magazine in particular has written some great articles that lay it out. If one is able to appreciate the film through that lens BvS is mesmerizing af. All the seemingly quirky choices make sense. But anyway, if you’re interested, FYI:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/za...oyride-through-decades-of-comic-book-history/
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/fr...superman-ii-is-key-to-understanding-the-dceu/
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/ma...superheroes-justice-league-reconstructs-them/
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-4-years-later-movie-debate/
While I’m at it, these are some articles I’ve written myself:

https://snyderversetrilogy.wordpress.com/bvs-is-a-watchmen-like-deconstruction/
https://thesnyderverse.com/bvs-the-clash-of-postmodernism-and-modernism/
https://snyderversetrilogy.wordpress.com/batmans-story-in-bvs-as-monomyth/
https://thesnyderverse.com/zsjl-a-mesmerizing-unification-of-reconstruction-and-elegy/

OMG... This is too much to read man... Doing all these research about the films which i don't like is unbearable... I don't think i can handle that.

Lol, tbh most people won’t go to that trouble! But hopefully the articles do serve to make a point that there’s actually a lot to appreciate in Snyder’s films if one is willing to take the time and effort to examine them through various lenses. I’m just sharing why I and others appreciate the movies. The reasons are valid if you‘re able to entertain them. Often when someone dislikes a movie it’s ultimately for personal reasons. (Not in every case, but I would say it’s very likely when its a controversial or polarizing film.) Which is okay, that‘s very human! Folks just need to own that rather than assert that the movie is crap, objectively speaking.

I say the following in an article on Man of Steel and it’s a pretty concise statement of what I think drives why we either like or dislike a movie:

…[A] film succeeds in the most basic terms if:

1) I care what happens to the characters (they matter to me, their fate matters to me)

2) I become interested and engaged in the story itself and how it unfolds (it takes me on a journey, and I’m willing to go on it)

3) I appreciate the cinematic craft of storytelling, i.e., specifically through the medium of film.

The latter consists of cinematography, the screenplay and script, acting performances, pacing of the action, CGI (where applicable), etc., and how well the director orchestrates all the various elements of the film. We can offer objective evidence for these three criteria in our own appreciation of a film. But I assert again that the deepest reasons why one might appreciate a film as such ultimately varies individually, from person to person. I will add that I can often enjoy a film for the most part even when only one or two of these elements are mostly in place, and even without them succeeding brilliantly. (I tend to be pretty forgiving as a viewer.)

And finally even just cinematographically speaking there is so much to enjoy in Snyder’s films, as this video explains:

Last edited:
Back