Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is a gas giant beautifully visible at night, but during the day there's a blue sky and no trace of the planet? Yes, you can make the argument that the moon's rotation turns it away from the planet, but not even a partial ring. Not to mention, when the sun is setting towards the end of the movie, wouldn't the planet be rising?

I was curious about that as well. Not ridiculous though. As you identified, Veldt spins on an axis as it orbits the gas giant, Mara. In that scene the surface of Veldt with the village is facing away from Mara and that side of Veldt is facing the sun. Veldt is well outside the rings of Mara evidently.

Last edited:
I do not hate or like Snyder or his movies. They are what they are. I like aspects of his movies and others are just eh. However, it always seems like he never releases the movie he wants. Is he not a big enough name to release a movie that he wants to release? He seems to get big license movies.

prey-copy-jpg.680880

leonidas.jpg

Last edited:
I was curious about that as well .
It must mean something! ZS is very clever. There must be some symbology...

Sorry, couldn't help being mischievous.

As I've only seen his 2 zombie movies and after the flashy messy trailer, I'm sitting this movie out too, I don't have a horse in this race, though out of curiosity I suppose I have watched a few reviews and popped my head into a few comment sections and I must say, as an "outsider" who doesn't have much of an opinion of ZS, given most of his work seems to be comic book stuff and I haven't seen it, the ZS fandom are, honestly, by and large, a bit nuts.
I'm not counting you in there Alatar, you're far more reasoned than most ZS fans but generally they give Nolan fans a run for their money.
Every negative review or opinion is just down to Snyder hate. No matter how well written a review or how reasonable with cited examples an opinion is, if it's negative toward the movie it is written off as hate.
How on earth could anyone doubt or not see Snyders genius afteral?
I don't know guys, he makes pretty comic book movies, how deep is his body of work really?
Anyway, just an outsiders thoughts after dipping a toe into this ZS fandom. I think I'd rather stay away from ZS and his dedicated fans.
I would say though, you hard core ZS fans should probably save your breath (or your typing fingers anyway). You'll not be able to convince people that have seen RM and didn't care for it, that they're wrong and here's why RM is amazing and Zack is a misunderstood genius. You're just stressing yourselves out. If RM is as good as you believe it is, it'll find it's audience.

I do not hate or like Snyder or his movies. They are what they are. I like aspects of his movies and others are just eh. However, it always seems like he never releases the movie he wants. Is he not a big enough name to release a movie that he wants to release? He seems to get big license movies.

Rebel Moon is the film he wanted to release. He released two versions of it, though. He explained that he has always insisted it be R-rated (he did with Lucas Films as well when he first pitched it something like15 years ago). But since he's a good partner with Netflix, he also respects that the movie needs to be released in a PG-13 version as well. That's why there's two versions. Netflix wants this to be the next big franchise. In order to reach the widest audience possible, kids and families have to be able to watch it. Parents should be able to let their kids have it on in the living room, etc.

It must mean something! ZS is very clever. There must be some symbology...

Sorry, couldn't help being mischievous.

As I've only seen his 2 zombie movies and after the flashy messy trailer, I'm sitting this movie out too, I don't have a horse in this race, though out of curiosity I suppose I have watched a few reviews and popped my head into a few comment sections and I must say, as an "outsider" who doesn't have much of an opinion of ZS, given most of his work seems to be comic book stuff and I haven't seen it, the ZS fandom are, honestly, by and large, a bit nuts.
I'm not counting you in there Alatar, you're far more reasoned than most ZS fans but generally they give Nolan fans a run for their money.
Every negative review or opinion is just down to Snyder hate. No matter how well written a review or how reasonable with cited examples an opinion is, if it's negative toward the movie it is written off as hate.
How on earth could anyone doubt or not see Snyders genius afteral?
I don't know guys, he makes pretty comic book movies, how deep is his body of work really?
Anyway, just an outsiders thoughts after dipping a toe into this ZS fandom. I think I'd rather stay away from ZS and his dedicated fans.
I would say though, you hard core ZS fans should probably save your breath (or your typing fingers anyway). You'll not be able to convince people that have seen RM and didn't care for it, that they're wrong and here's why RM is amazing and Zack is a misunderstood genius. You're just stressing yourselves out. If RM is as good as you believe it is, it'll find it's audience.

Haha, sorry I often have difficulty posting on this forum from my iPad, it was bugging out on me. I went back and finished my response:

I was curious about that as well. Not ridiculous though. As you identified, Veldt spins on an axis as it orbits the gas giant, Mara. In that scene the surface of Veldt with the village is facing away from Mara and that side of Veldt is facing the sun. Veldt is well outside the rings of Mara evidently.

I do love when people look for deeper meaning in movies. I also love when said movie has deeper meaning to be revealed.

Perhaps we should call this Onion Moon.
A movie can't just be a movie, Wor. It's an artist letting you in on his/her/them/they/it most inner self. I remember hearing "We Built this City" and thinking there has to be more?

I'll have to check to see if any astronomers have chimed in on the movie. I remember watching and thinking, "wow, what an amazing shot." Then I was like "wait a minute..." Being that close to such a massive planetary body would no doubt have a huge impact on gravity that shifted every rotation. Look at how our moon affects the tides. Atmosphere would also probably be dramatically impacted by whatever gases comprise the giant. I've only watched it once, but didn't Kai fly through some of the rocks comprising the rings when they were leaving the planet? Not a big deal though. We aren't given much by way of size, distance or makeup, so there's no way to run the science. However, it does seem like ZS just composed a pretty visual then moved on. I would have thought he'd do something with the sky to make it appear somewhat alien as opposed to looking like a location that had been scouted. Come to think of it, I believe the griffin/horse bird planet also has a generic blue sky and looks like it was shot someplace like Australia or Arizona.

A movie can't just be a movie, Wor. It's an artist letting you in on his/her/them/they/it most inner self. I remember hearing "We Built this City" and thinking there has to be more?
I recently listened to justin bieber’s baby song and I knew instantly that it was a song about how young children especially babies are being eaten by the elite

I just wanted to say I don't have any issue with Synder at all - I have a soft spot for 300 because it was so unique (in it's day), but, I don't care if it's Snyder, Kubrick, Scorsese, Spielberg, Cameron... anyone, I don't give any of them a free pass when they do ****. **** is ****. I can't stand how a lot of people these days say "well, compared with..."

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Everything should be judged on its own merit, and if it doesn't stack up, then call it for what it is...

Alright decided to give this movie a shot... and I actually thought it was kinda decent! Obviously derivative as hell and low-grade scifi schlock, but it's at least very watchable schlock (which is about the standard for a Netflix movie). And it's nowhere near the incoherent Sucker Punch level mess I was expecting from reviews, as there was actually a story I could follow and a fairly engaging lead character. And a deliciously evil villain that was fun to watch.

Biggest issue is just with all the tame, bloodless action, as the movie really called for something a lot more violent and brutal. And yeah I know there's supposed to be an R-rated cut coming, but not sure I care enough to sit through this again. Lol

Last edited:
I'll have to check to see if any astronomers have chimed in on the movie. I remember watching and thinking, "wow, what an amazing shot." Then I was like "wait a minute..." Being that close to such a massive planetary body would no doubt have a huge impact on gravity that shifted every rotation. Look at how our moon affects the tides. Atmosphere would also probably be dramatically impacted by whatever gases comprise the giant. I've only watched it once, but didn't Kai fly through some of the rocks comprising the rings when they were leaving the planet? Not a big deal though. We aren't given much by way of size, distance or makeup, so there's no way to run the science. However, it does seem like ZS just composed a pretty visual then moved on. I would have thought he'd do something with the sky to make it appear somewhat alien as opposed to looking like a location that had been scouted. Come to think of it, I believe the griffin/horse bird planet also has a generic blue sky and looks like it was shot someplace like Australia or Arizona.

Well, one thing I’ve read that Zack did think of was for the sky of Veldt to always have a reddish tint (the color of Mara) that varies in intensity according to the planet’s rotation. So how red the sky is depends on whether the village view is facing Mara or away, and whether it’s day or night. The opening shot is at night, i.e., village is facing away from the sun in its rotation and Mara is fully in view. So it’s like Mara is providing what we would see as the light of full moon on earth, except Mara is way more massive than our moon and Mara is red. That’s a gorgeous shot.

Another shot like that is the old western campfire scene on the way to the port city of Providence! It’s reminiscent of the westerns, what with The Magnificent Seven being a huge inspiration for this movie. Anyway, those old western campfire scenes were shot literally with painted backdrops. That campfire scene with Kora and Gunnar is an homage to that.

Last edited:
Alright decided to give this movie a shot... and I actually thought it was kinda decent! Obviously derivative as hell and low-grade scifi schlock, but it's at least very watchable schlock (which is about the standard for a Netflix movie). And it's nowhere near the incoherent Sucker Punch level mess I was expecting from reviews, as there was actually a story I could follow and a fairly engaging lead character. And a deliciously evil villain that was fun to watch.

Biggest issue is just with all the tame, bloodless action, as the movie really called for something a lot more violent and brutal. And yeah I know there's supposed to be an R-rated cut coming, but not sure I care enough to sit through this again. Lol
This review feels more open and honest than the Lord of the Flies kind of reaction to Piggy that I’ve been seeing. I mean versus the reflexive piling on, etc.

Netflix definitely needs to have a PG-13 cut so that kids/families can watch it, and then take part in watching the growth of the franchise and its saga and worldbuilding, etc. But I think Zack is using this as a rare opportunity to kind of emphasize how the product designed for the broadest possible mass consumption compares with the pure artistic vision version. The director is always having to bring those two forces or energies together and unite them somehow. There’s even a metaphor for that with how we live our lives individually at an existential level, that may or may not be intentional on Zack’s part but does exist regardless.

The R-rated extended versions of the films are going to show just how sanitized Star Wars is with respect to war and people actually having sex. I mean, it’s fine that Star Wars does it in a sanitized way, I love me some Star Wars. I’m not knocking it. But I really do look forward to what Zack is doing with his R-rated take on this sort of content.

Last edited:
This review feels more open and honest than the Lord of the Flies kind of reaction to Piggy that I’ve been seeing. I mean versus the reflexive piling on, etc.
No offence, but your defense of this film and assertions of others peoples opinions are as though you'd written and directed the thing yourself - and even if you did, you must not have the wisdom to understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes.

If you think it's a masterpiece, all power to you, but don't disparage others for not sharing your enthusiasm.

Rebel Moon is the film he wanted to release. He released two versions of it, though. He explained that he has always insisted it be R-rated (he did with Lucas Films as well when he first pitched it something like15 years ago). But since he's a good partner with Netflix, he also respects that the movie needs to be released in a PG-13 version as well. That's why there's two versions. Netflix wants this to be the next big franchise. In order to reach the widest audience possible, kids and families have to be able to watch it. Parents should be able to let their kids have it on in the living room, etc.
Are families really watching this? Is this even geared toward kids? Kids who have access to all kinds of content. I get they want the widest net and the two versions. Release both versions at the same time, but I guess dragging it out makes the most profit. I can then decide which one I play in my living room and the one behind closed doors. :ROFLMAO: Sorry, being a dick.
I was mildly intrigued when I first read about this project. Now not so much.

I think that in the past (mainly with BvS and JL) Snyder has been guilty of not making the movie his employers wanted, being incapable of delivering his stories in what they considered a reasonable length in order to maximize box office. They were looking at the numbers pouring in at Marvel and wanted in on the action. Perhaps Snyder thought they'd cave and accept his versions or he was just naive (seems unlikely given he'd been in the business for quite a while), but after his success with the JL #releasethesnydercut situation he seems to have found a studio willing to indulge his excesses without further need of mobilizing the Snyderettes.

For a PG-13 I’m surprised they kept the line from the squad commander at the barn “First i’m going to split her wide open!”

Enjoy that kids lol

Last edited:
No offence, but your defense of this film and assertions of others peoples opinions are as though you'd written and directed the thing yourself - and even if you did, you must not have the wisdom to understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes.

If you think it's a masterpiece, all power to you, but don't disparage others for not sharing your enthusiasm.

Untitled.jpg

Back