Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM remained # 1 against the onslaught of Christmas movies on Christmas week/weekend and even on Christmas Day! :horror

The dude has a legitimate following no doubt.

The movie was an entertaining enough watch, and Snyder's visual style and flair is undeniable. However, it is a mashup of plots, styles and influences from movies like Star Wars, the cheesy but underrated Battle Beyond the Stars, 1984 Dune, and Jupiter Ascending. Given the Planet A to Planet B to Planet C recruitment story structure and lack of any character development beyond Kora this first cut was obviously hacked together for the general release. As folks are pointing out, Netflix and ZS are trying to create a RTSC movement. Which doesn't really happen when both Snyder and Netflix have already confirmed that it will be released. For the most part I imagine there'll be much more blood and gore, maybe a little nudity (I wouldn't be surprised if the spider woman is rerendered with breasts), and some shipboard interaction among the recruits basically telling back stories (like in Jaws) or engaging in banter (like in Aliens). I don't want to see a longer version of the scene with the soldiers and the young farm girl. It rings pretty close to truth during wars and occupations, but was uncomfortable to watch. I did find some of the science to be ridiculous. How is a gas giant beautifully visible at night, but during the day there's a blue sky and no trace of the planet? Yes, you can make the argument that the moon's rotation turns it away from the planet, but not even a partial ring. Not to mention, when the sun is setting towards the end of the movie, wouldn't the planet be rising?
I don't know if this will necessarily turn out to be a big franchise, but I am planning to watch both the extended version and Part 2.

Apparently they went with Arto Condensed Bold. I consider that less offensive than papyrus. I only want to see papyrus if I can order a gyro.

It's funny, in its time, Avatar got beat-up that it stole so many cliches (not just Dances with Wolves) but Rebel Moon got Cameron beat there.

I don't think I have ever seen a movie with more blatant "nods" -- be they homage or plagiarism -- than Rebel Moon. Not even the Legos movies can top it.

Eh, it's only the 9th biggest debut week on Netflix this year. The Jonah Hill movie You People had a stronger opening week.
Looking at those other 8 it seems all have established actors that helped bring viewers plus their plots weren’t as niche.

RM has Ray Fisher and a breakdancer lol

What's better: Avatar 2 or Rebel Moon...?

As much as I don't like Avatar 2, I'd watch it a thousand times again before suffering through RM again. At least it feels like some semblance of a cohesive story (albeit, one I didn't like). RM is an amateur mess on all fronts.

I'd just like to say the extended version of BvS exist and is quite the watch imo.

Just tired of BvS getting thrown under the buss is all. Or perhaps that sucked too for most, idk lol

It really harms the film for the theater cut to have removed a half hour from BvS. But the core reasons that people hate the film, such as the deconstructive elements of Superman doubting whether he should use his powers, and Batman falling morally (like a fallen paladin), Lex Luthor as a millennial with Tourettes and Asperger’s, etc., are unchanged. If one can’t accept the deconstruction and hates that it’s a deconstruction, that won’t be changed by the UE. But if you accept how BvS is a different take on superhero mythology then the UE is the actual film that Snyder intended to release. It was never his plan to release that 2:31 theater release. The studio did that.

AWOW by a mile. I greatly enjoyed RM but not because it can go toe to toe with truly well told stories. I just liked the characters, tension, world building and cinematography.
As much as I don't like Avatar 2, I'd watch it a thousand times again before suffering through RM again. At least it feels like some semblance of a cohesive story (albeit, one I didn't like). RM is an amateur mess on all fronts.

Two completely different points of view, yet... same conclusion.

Back