Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pearl clutching

giphy.gif

I do wonder now where this would rank among the 'space-fantasy epic' movies since Star Wars.

You need to include Jupiter Ascending, Starship Troopers, Valerian, 5th Elelment, and yes, Battle Beyond the Stars, maybe even the dreaded Black Hole...

In that sense, Rebel Moon should fair quite well.

lol I still haven’t seen this yet 😢. I’m out the loop. Gonna catch it tonight tho so I can finally turn into a Snyder fan

It's kind of fascinating to me that I absolutely love many movies that I'm pretty sure.. or would expect at any rate... most dislikers or haters of Zack Snyder's films also love. A small cross-section of my taste:

Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy
Godfather 1 & 2*
Taxi Driver
2001: A Space Odyssey
Bladerunner
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Apocalypto
Midnight Cowboy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Ben-Hur
The Deer Hunter
Shane
The Road Warrior
The Elephant Man

I mean, I guess I'm saying this because I just want to make clear that I do appreciate what are considered classically great films.

* Then again, I adore Coppola's edit of 1 and 2 into a nine hour mini-series that ran in the 70s called the Godfather Saga. I like it better than watching the two films separately. That's an offbeat taste. I would dearly love to see it remastered and released in 4K on disk.

Last edited:
I do wonder now where this would rank among the 'space-fantasy epic' movies since Star Wars.

You need to include Jupiter Ascending, Starship Troopers, Valerian, 5th Elelment, and yes, Battle Beyond the Stars, maybe even the dreaded Black Hole...

In that sense, Rebel Moon should fair quite well.

And of course Dune Part 1. But you can probably guess where I stand.

I actually didn't care much for the recent Dune remake. Not because I feel it was poorly made or anything. It's well made. I just can't willingly suspend disbelief for Timothy Chalamet as Paul Atreides.

Oh, and I will add that I'm as much a fan of Chronicles of Riddick about as I am of the Rebel Moon Part 1 PG-13 cut. I love that movie!

No doubt we have movies we love in common. What makes me raise my eyebrow, as an outsider, is the staunch defense of his movies. Does Spielberg have this kind of following? 'Cause 1941 sucked, loved Duel, come to think about it Hook sucked too.

No doubt we have movies we love in common. What makes me raise my eyebrow, as an outsider, is the staunch defense of his movies. Does Spielberg have this kind of following? 'Cause 1941 sucked, loved Duel, come to think about it Hook sucked too.

Only some of Zack's films resonate with me to the extent that I have a strong feeling about them. MoS, BvS, ZSJL, Watchmen, and 300. Now Rebel Moon can be added to that list.

I didn't really much get into Suckler Punch. I don't think it's "bad" and I do appreciate what Snyder was trying to do. But it doesn't strike that deep chord in the way the other films above do. Nor does Dawn of the Dead or Army of the Dead do much for me. Both perfectly serviceable films, well made, etc. But they just don't affect me very strongly. The zombie apocalypse genre isn't my cup of tea, I guess. (With one exception: I did quite enjoy World War Z!) Owls is sort of a curiosity. It was decent, and offbeat for the children's book animation genre. But nothing to write home about. I do plan to rewatch it soon however. I wouldn't be surprised if Owls is yet another attempt at genre subversion, but again I need to give it a rewatch.

Last edited:
lol I still haven’t seen this yet 😢. I’m out the loop. Gonna catch it tonight tho so I can finally turn into a Snyder fan

I'll never get the attachment to directors - of course, that's after I had so much faith in the Russos and then there was IW and EG - tho that wasn't all their fault, with studio pressure etc.

One could hope a director with a good track record would do reasonable work. So, it's not that there aren't some IMO nice shots here and there. The whiff of some intriguing ideas. For me this completely sank under the weight of stuff I already posted. I'll watch part 2 as something to watch, but if it never happened I'd be completely indifferent.

Forgot that one. I like that movie too, especially because its so radically different than his first adventure, Pitch Black.

Yeah, the critics liked Pitch Black more, and it is indeed really good. But CoR has a whole universe of mythology behind it. It's Vin Diesel's home brew setting for D&D and of course featuring his main player character Riddick, a rogue. It just places you in that mythos without explaining it, but you can then guess at and wonder about those things. There's lore that was well developed in Vin's head for the Necromonger religion, the Elementals, the Furyans, the Mercs, Helion Prime (planet that's invaded), Crematoria (prison world), etc.

Last edited:
I'll never get the attachment to directors - of course, that's after I had so much faith in the Russos and then there was IW and EG - tho that wasn't all their fault, with studio pressure etc.

One could hope a director with a good track record would do reasonable work. So, it's not that there aren't some IMO nice shots here and there. The whiff of some intriguing ideas. For me this completely sank under the weight of stuff I already posted. I'll watch part 2 as something to watch, but if it never happened I'd be completely indifferent.

Captain America: Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU flick. Arguably the best mainstream superhero film ever made, although many will contend that honor goes to Nolan's TDK. (TDK I personally feel is overrated but then again I love BvS.) I suspect the Russos likely enjoyed the most freedom in making that film. Civil War kind of missed the mark for me. The Russos have admitted that the studio dictated that they change the original plan for the film late in the game in order to try to beat BvS to the punch with a similar plot. Even with Feige's notes to the Russos for IW and EG I still enjoyed that conclusion to the infinity stones saga tremendously, though.

Chronicles of Riddick
Forgot that one. I like that movie too, especially because its so radically different than his first adventure, Pitch Black.
I don’t think I’ve actually ever seen that entire movie, but I’ve stumbled across it on TV and seen the end several times. Isn’t that the one Judi Dench did purely for the paycheck? I do recall enjoying the 3rd one (Riddick?) with Katee Sackhoff. One of those guilty pleasure films lol.

Last edited:
Again, totally agree on Winter Soldier... and TDK being overrated (I love Ledger, but everything else in that movie falls flat or worse for me).

I do love Infinity War though. It's just a great non-stop, best-of, superhero movie with a great tragic cliffhanger. Much better than the plodding, emo End Game.

Again, totally agree on Winter Soldier... and TDK being overrated (I love Ledger, but everything else in that movie falls flat or worse for me).

I do love Infinity War though. It's just a great non-stop, best-of, superhero movie with a great tragic cliffhanger. Much better than the plodding, emo End Game.

Yes, and badass Thor for God's sake! I'm sorry I can't stand what Waititi did to the character.

Back