Your Favorite Horror Film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original Nightmare on Elm Street. One of my all time favorite horror movies. It's timeless in my opinion. When I watch Friday the 13th and even Halloween, you definitely can tell it's the 80s, but idk, Nightmare feels like it could almost be more recent. Great flick.

I love Nightmare on Elm Street too. Big fan of the 80's slashers. Halloween was always my favourite but last Halloweeen I watched the original Halloween at a special one off screening at my local cinema and man, it wasn't a good idea. It really just seemed silly and dated and lost a lot of its appeal. It kind of ruined the movie for me a bit but I'm hoping when I watch it again at home it'll still hold up in a way. This year they're doing a double bill of Alien and Aliens. I'd kill to see Alien on the big screen but my friend is getting married on Halloween so I guess that has to take priority. So bummed I'm gonna miss that though.

Ugh Land of the Dead, anything he's done since has been horrible.

I only own the Special Edition DVD of The Fly, since I read that the Blu Ray had no special features... like most Blu Rays.

That's a shame, I was looking to get The Fly on blu ray but once I got this box set I wasn't fussed. The special features seem really cool in the set, I assume the same as the special edition, just haven't watched them yet.

I love Nightmare on Elm Street too. Big fan of the 80's slashers. Halloween was always my favourite but last Halloweeen I watched the original Halloween at a special one off screening at my local cinema and man, it wasn't a good idea. It really just seemed silly and dated and lost a lot of its appeal. It kind of ruined the movie for me a bit but I'm hoping when I watch it again at home it'll still hold up in a way. This year they're doing a double bill of Alien and Aliens. I'd kill to see Alien on the big screen but my friend is getting married on Halloween so I guess that has to take priority. So bummed I'm gonna miss that though.

That's a shame, I was looking to get The Fly on blu ray but once I got this box set I wasn't fussed. The special features seem really cool in the set, I assume the same as the special edition, just haven't watched them yet.

If I remember right, there is like a 2 hour documentary. They talk to everyone involved, and it was fairly recent too.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street. One of my all time favorite horror movies. It's timeless in my opinion. When I watch Friday the 13th and even Halloween, you definitely can tell it's the 80s, but idk, Nightmare feels like it could almost be more recent. Great flick.

I see what you mean. It's not blantantly obvious that it's in the 80s like a lot of other slashers.

I just remembered, Jason goes to NY was on last night :yuck

Sweet, I'll have to check out that documentary. I love stuff like that.

Haha, I actually kinda like Jason Takes Manhatten. Although I realise how dreadful it is, it's just so 80's and trashy, it feels really nostalgic for some reason. It feels like something I've watched when I was a young kid in the 80's, I'm not sure if I did or if it just feels that way. It's by no means a great movie, it just has something that I enjoy despite recognising that it's pretty awful. :lol the original Friday 13th however still holds up as really creepy.

It's nostalgic for me, strictly because I saw it a lot when I was kid :lol

Most of the Friday franchise is built from good bad films.

The original Nightmare still holds up-one of my all time faves. I also have a soft spot for the first two Friday the 13th's-I was entering my teen years when they first came out and I thought they were awesome! I know a lot of people are mentioning Alien but I don't know...I've seen it without exaggeration 50 times and always looked at it as a Sci-Fi masterpiece with bits of horror sprinkled in. I saw it when I was 12 years old in the summer of '79 and the only scene that really scared the **** out of me was the chest burster-maybe I was conditioned after seeing Taxi Driver when I was only 9 years old-the good old '70's.

I'm not much of a horror fan, but I definitely respect & enjoy / own a bunch of the classics.

Carpenter's The Thing is definitely in my top ten, along with ALIEN, ANOES, The Shining, AAWIL, The FLY, The Howling, Halloween, NOTLD.. & another lesser known film - Dario Argento's Phenomena.

There's others that I also respect, but don't have the stomach to watch again, like The Exorcist, & Hellraiser. Great works, but yeah - very unsettling to me. :lol

Out of the 'modern' ones though - DOG SOLDIERS is sensational, & my fave.

Last edited:
The original Nightmare still holds up-one of my all time faves. I also have a soft spot for the first two Friday the 13th's-I was entering my teen years when they first came out and I thought they were awesome! I know a lot of people are mentioning Alien but I don't know...I've seen it without exaggeration 50 times and always looked at it as a Sci-Fi masterpiece with bits of horror sprinkled in. I saw it when I was 12 years old in the summer of '79 and the only scene that really scared the **** out of me was the chest burster-maybe I was conditioned after seeing Taxi Driver when I was only 9 years old-the good old '70's.
I never really categorized the Alien franchise as Horror either. Same as Predator.

I'd agree with pretty much all the above choices, especially The Fly, The Thing, The Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They just don't seem to make horror of the above mentioned calibre, anymore, but more recently I'd have to say that Wolf Creek stuck with me after watching it (unrated version). I'll reiterate that it's not a masterpiece like the others listed here but I found it disturbing. Character of Mick Taylor just really struck me as a very sadistic and believable psychopath. Ugh, if anyone else liked it, don't bother w/the sequel. One of the worst movies I've probably ever watched.

On a brighter note, last time I watched The Thing and TCM was last Halloween, so I'm looking forward to throwing those on at some point next week.

Fun TCM facts:

1) It's actually "Chain Saw" in the title. I don't know why, but this is so much more awesome than if it were one word.
2) SyFy was airing this today. I know it's Halloween time, but it seems genuinely perverse for that movie to be on at 1 in the afternoon on a sunny day.
3) SyFy really ****ed up my day, because I had stuff to do, and those things got pushed back because I watched TCM at 1 in the afternoon on a sunny day.

Yeah, that is a crime, cb! Watched The Thing, again, last night. Damn, just such a great flick. Was going to try and rent The Fog (original) sometime this week, but only the remake is available on VOD. For anyone that's seen it, is it worth picking-up sight unseen? I did that with The Thing, last year, and was not disappointed.

Yeah, that is a crime, cb! Watched The Thing, again, last night. Damn, just such a great flick. Was going to try and rent The Fog (original) sometime this week, but only the remake is available on VOD. For anyone that's seen it, is it worth picking-up sight unseen? I did that with The Thing, last year, and was not disappointed.

Fog good, Fog reboot not so good.

I've never seen The Fog - watched a couple old trailers though, & read up a little.

I don't know.. huge Carpenter fan, but the premise seems a bit boring to me.

Huh, The Fog was on channel 8 last night. I was flipping channels and stayed there for a while since it's been so long. Got bored and flipped to something else.

Hrm, it's starting again, same channel as last night. John Houseman's voice is just too rich and refined to buy him as a grizzled old sailor.
Guess I'll see how long I can watch this time.

I have a soft spot for The Fog-it was a disappointment upon initial release (Halloween is a tough act to follow)-it's a good, atmospheric ghost story-it does tend to lag in certain spots, but overall it is a good solid film from a young Carpenter. I remember reading somewhere after it was screened by studio exec's, Carpenter got really depressed-the suits killed it & he had a couple of weeks to re-assemble it & re-score the film.

I just read about it an hour or so ago. :D Yeah, he hated what he had and reshot a lot for it to make sense and flow better.

Back