The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just glad we're finally at a place where "fan-service" isn't such a taboo thing anymore. I never understood everyone who'd complain about that.

I'm a fan. Give me the full-service:dunno

I know right. Blasting a property for showcasing the most appealing elements *of* that property has always been an utterly bizarre criticism to me. :lol

I like a little fan service as much as the next, er, fan. But it feels like that's been the sole focus of a lot of Disney Wars stuff. Makes you wonder what new stuff they could have come up with if they hadn't put so much effort and energy into the nostalgic nods and winks.

I'd hoped Mando would forge its own path. But inevitably it's tied in to CW and the ST instead of exploring uncharted territory.

I like a little fan service as much as the next, er, fan. But it feels like that's been the sole focus of a lot of Disney Wars stuff. Makes you wonder what new stuff they could have come up with if they hadn't put so much effort and energy into the nostalgic nods and winks.

I’m a person and my name is Solo

Well you do have to ask yourself "What happened to the Jewish children after that picture was taken?" Big difference in the final outcome. So one could say tat he was trivializing what the Jews went through.

Also he had another post were he compared maga peeps to Nazis and slavers... So there is that also.

Carano's post was the same as what we see all the time.. People comparing the other side to Nazis.. Problem is she choose the wrong side to call Nazis. Personally I feel any time either side start throwing around the term Nazi at anyone who is not an actual Nazi they are hurting their argument.

Disney also tried to say that she was attacking a culture and a religion.. That was not the case at all.

I have issues with Disney getting all high and mighty after the Mulan fiasco.

Bro come on. Those kids were gassed and died. They had no food. They were forced to work. Many were experimented on and sexually abused. You can?t sit here and say Gina?s post was out of line and have no issue with Pedro?s.

They were treated humanely compared to Jewish children. Stop minimizing it.

Political persecution/discrimination has been a thing throughout history.

I don?t think Gina wasn?t comparing them 100% directly like Pedro was. She was saying that political resentment can lead to the level of violence. That acceptance of division and hatred can lead to another genocide.

Hating someone for being different, no matter the difference, is the same thing. It is hate regardless.

Those are very good points, but I think the starting point of the comparison made by Pascal is different from Carano's.
Again, persecution and inhumane treatment due to origin/religion and differing political views are quite different. If the point is "look where political persecution can lead", then use authoritarian states like the USSR (and now Russia), China, Cuba or Venezuela and have a field day with that.

At any rate, I'm glad we can have a sensible conversation about it. :duff

I'd hoped Mando would forge its own path. But inevitably it's tied in to CW and the ST instead of exploring uncharted territory.

Also IMO too much, too fast; e.g. Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Boba, and Luke; all in one very short season.

It can be argued that it was logical for them to be there, and narratively makes sense; but it could just as easily be argued that Boba stays dead/missing, Ahsoka is still off someplace, Bo-Katan died in the Purges, and Din D'jarin never meets Luke. Just depends on how you write a story.

Also, IMO, it's "fatal" - or at least a grave mistake IMO - to not focus on the character development of your new characters and worlds, if you are creating something new. Since F & F threw the nostalgia door open so wide, the "dilution" even shows up in comments online - "When will Sabine/Darth Maul/Ezra/Kylo etc. show up?"
Like checking the boxes of the Filoni-verse. For me it's not fun, and wasn't what attracted me to the Mandalorian in the first place.

Favreau used to get cranky about folks calling the Child "Baby Yoda" - and there the cookie thieving toddler is Season 2, doing the Yoda meditation thing. So yeah, BABY YODA. Ye gawds, I hated all that. Esp. when throwing yourself open like that would have attracted Dark Siders - even in Rebels the concept of too much, too soon re the Force comes up.:banghead:pfft:

But - I haven't cancelled D+ yet besides I need to watch the MCU stuff.:monkey3

If the point is "look where political persecution can lead", then use authoritarian states like the USSR (and now Russia), China, Cuba or Venezuela and have a field day with that.

Her point wasn't to focus singularly on state-sponsored political persecution, though. Her message was about how demonizing one group can lead to neighbor turning against neighbor.

She was saying that propaganda-inspired hatred can lead to people willing to beat, and even kill, their neighbors in the street for nothing more than believing in a different ideology. And she pointed to a historical example of how that sort of unthinkable reality can actually manifest.

Her concern about demonizing over ideology is about more than having it just come from an authoritarian political pulpit. The media, academic institutions, and other complicit corporations *choosing* to propagate a demonizing message is a different problem than when they are *forced* to tout one by a central government mandate.

That's why I think she invoked the insidiously tacit effects of Nazi propaganda rather than cite direct authoritarian strongarm tactics like those of Castro, Chavez, Stalin, and their ilk. And Disney legitimized her concerns by not only appeasing an online mob that demonized her, but by publicly labeling her message "abhorrent" and "unacceptable."

At any rate, I'm glad we can have a sensible conversation about it. :duff

Agreed! A sensible discussion helps all sides feel heard, and lowers the temperature. In other words, the complete opposite of what LFL/Disney accomplished. :lol

Her point wasn't to focus singularly on state-sponsored political persecution, though. Her message was about how demonizing one group can lead to neighbor turning against neighbor.

She was saying that propaganda-inspired hatred can lead to people willing to beat, and even kill, their neighbors in the street for nothing more than believing in a different ideology. And she pointed to a historical example of how that sort of unthinkable reality can actually manifest.

Her concern about demonizing over ideology is about more than having it just come from an authoritarian political pulpit. The media, academic institutions, and other complicit corporations *choosing* to propagate a demonizing message is a different problem than when they are *forced* to tout one by a central government mandate.

That's why I think she invoked the insidiously tacit effects of Nazi propaganda rather than cite direct authoritarian strongarm tactics like those of Castro, Chavez, Stalin, and their ilk. And Disney legitimized her concerns by not only appeasing an online mob that demonized her, but by publicly labeling her message "abhorrent" and "unacceptable."

Love this post - VERY nicely put :hi5: (* why have I never noticed your member name before?!?! - maybe because I don't generally post on "Star Wars" threads *)

. . . At any rate, I'm glad we can have a sensible conversation about it. :duff

Agreed! A sensible discussion helps all sides feel heard, and lowers the temperature. In other words, the complete opposite of what LFL/Disney accomplished. :lol

Also love the fact that it's staying civil - nicely done folks! :clap :clap :clap

Unless I missed something it stayed civil last time as well but....they just don't like us talking about anything that has the potential for political flamewar whether it has yet transpired or not.

I wasn't aware of any previous exchanges on the topic, but hopefully it's OK this time. Fingers crossed (as long as people play nice).

Guys - can we please be extra-careful with the "political" stuff - we don't want the staff to decide they have to delete posts or lock the thread.

As soon as anything looks like it may start causing serious contention they will act out of caution - and up until THIS point, the thread has been very respectful.

If we keep this going nicely we can call this an antidote to Twitter! :)

Guys - can we please be extra-careful with the "political" stuff - we don't want the staff to decide they have to delete posts or lock the thread.

As soon as anything looks like it may start causing serious contention they will act out of caution - and up until THIS point, the thread has been very respectful.

If we keep this going nicely we can call this an antidote to Twitter! :)

Agreed :goodpost:

star-wars-luke-and-grogu-poster-comic-con-1276848.jpeg

Grogu has a yellow lightsaber.

Grogu has a yellow lightsaber in fan art that Disney decided to sell.

I disagree, at the end of S2 there are still so many open threads.

Yeah, but for me personally, it's all ******** I have zero interest in. Darksaber and restoring Mandalore. Yawn. With Boba Fett out, and without the emotional anchor of Grogu, there's not much for me to get excited about.

I know some complained but I loved the adventure of the week format. It was all going great til Rosario Dawson showed up painted orange with weird **** on her face. That was the absolute low point of the series for me. Then it picked up again with the final 3 eps of season 2.

Yeah, but for me personally, it's all ******** I have zero interest in. Darksaber and restoring Mandalore. Yawn. With Boba Fett out, and without the emotional anchor of Grogu, there's not much for me to get excited about.

I know some complained but I loved the adventure of the week format. It was all going great til Rosario Dawson showed up painted orange with weird **** on her face. That was the absolute low point of the series for me. Then it picked up again with the final 3 eps of season 2.
Fair enough, I've loved the entire series, Ahsoka was a high point for me since she's probably my favourite character in Star Wars. And I couldn't be more excited about seeing a war for Mandalore and then a possible civil war between Din & Bo-Katan.

Fair enough, I've loved the entire series, Ahsoka was a high point for me since she's probably my favourite character in Star Wars. And I couldn't be more excited about seeing a war for Mandalore and then a possible civil war between Din & Bo-Katan.
I've disliked most of Disney Star Wars, but The Mandalorian has been one of my favourite shows of the last few years and it craps on any of the MCU Disney Plus shows, and I am predominantly a Marvel fan. I didn't watch Clone Wars so am not familiar with Ahsoka, but I really enjoyed the episode with her in it.
The show could go anywhere quality wise, but I'm sure that unlike the ST, Favreau and Filoni have an actual plan for the show and related shows.

Back