The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bruce.jpg

Yeah, but you gotta take things into perspective. A 70 year old man in 1989 is (typically) not the same as a 70 year old man in 2023.

When I was a kid in the 80s, anyone 50 and older just seemed ancient. But things have shifted. People live longer and are more active now.

Same thing with Mark Hamill and Alec Guiness. Obi Wan seemed like an old, old dude when we were little, you know? Hamill just seems like a slightly older co-worker or something.

Besides, Gough looked OLD in all of his Batman appearances. He seemed frail. Keaton looks like he's in great shape.

Of course, I won't be able to suspend disbelief when I see his rubbery CGI model jumping and twirling around and all that dumb crap, but it's perfectly within reason for me to believe he can stand around in a latex suit.

I forgot I owned the Burton Batflicks on blu-ray so I watched Batman 89 last night since my 13 year old son wanted to see it after watching the Flash trailer before Ant-Man 3. Oh and a little shout out to two of the fattest people in the world who decided to walk in front of the screen on the way to their seats right as Keaton appeared to deliver his iconic line. :gah:

Anyway back to Batman 89, it was a trip watching it with someone who'd never seen it before. He liked it even after seeing The Batman on the big screen and the Dark Knight trilogy for the first time about a month ago. He liked that the music and overall vibe "felt so Tim Burton," chuckled when Joker danced in the museum, said "now that's a cool car" and thought that Joker's pistol was absolutely ridiculous. So pretty much what everybody thought in 1989, lol.

Oh and he did think it was really cool to see the Vulture playing Batman, lol.

As for me it was fun and I do think I tend to judge it a little too harshly.

Last edited:
I remember returns creeping me out as a kid. The end eith the penguin having all that blood come from his mouth was to much lol

Just gonna stick this right here.
View attachment 626081
Nolan was trying to be semi-plausible though. I get it, I've accepted it.

Unrelated to that I've learnt that General Zod himself is currently living a few doors up from me. Must be shooting something in Ireland. I was walking home from town the other day and saw a guy outside a house on my road, just a fleeting glimpse of his face before he turned around and went inside - I thought, 'huh....but nah'. But now my brother has seen him and spoken to other people who confirmed it. Probably the most world-famous person I've kinda-sorta seen. :lol

Marc Guggenheim the creator of the Arrowverse shared why he is disappointed for not being called by Gunn and Safron to help with the new DC universe:

“Not a job, mind you. A meeting. A conversation. A small recognition of what I’d tried to contribute to the grand tapestry that is the DC Universe. I’d only spent nine years toiling in that vineyard, after all,” Guggenheim wrote on his Legal Dispatch newsletter dated Feb. 3.

He added, “Although working for DC had been creatively fulfilling, it involved a lot of adversity, challenges, and personal sacrifices — none of which seem to have accrued to any professional benefit. Simply put, the Arrowverse hasn’t led to any other gigs, so it feels — at least on a career level — that I really wasted my time.”

OUCH LOL

He added, “Although working for DC had been creatively fulfilling, it involved a lot of adversity, challenges, and personal sacrifices — none of which seem to have accrued to any professional benefit. Simply put, the Arrowverse hasn’t led to any other gigs, so it feels — at least on a career level — that I really wasted my time.”

Ron Moore did a podcast where he talked about being invited into the writers room for Star Trek The Next Generation. He pitched an idea for an episode about Klingons. Then he was asked about his other ideas. He said all of them besides the Klingon one were shot down, though he spent a lot of toil on those ideas. Then he said he spent months deathly afraid of being kicked out of the room, because he had no contract and he was basically an outsider to the established system. He talked about how there were ten thousand other people waiting, chomping at the bit, to be where he was, right on the edge but a foot in the door.

So I don't know honestly. The Arrowverse brought this guy in what probably amounts of real life changing money. Maybe generational level life changing money.

Everything is a competition. So outcompete everyone. Make something that that forces people to turn their heads and notice.

Marc Guggenheim the creator of the Arrowverse shared why he is disappointed for not being called by Gunn and Safron to help with the new DC universe:

“Not a job, mind you. A meeting. A conversation. A small recognition of what I’d tried to contribute to the grand tapestry that is the DC Universe. I’d only spent nine years toiling in that vineyard, after all,” Guggenheim wrote on his Legal Dispatch newsletter dated Feb. 3.

OUCH LOL
Mans thought he was gonna gain Snyder type sympathy. Lol

Guggenheim's a hack. His comics are godawful and his CW shows weren't much better. Gunn would be smart to continue to ignore him.

Stargirl was the only good DC CW show and Guggenheim had nothing to do with it.

Guggenheim's a hack. His comics are godawful and his CW shows weren't much better. Gunn would be smart to continue to ignore him.

Stargirl was the only good DC CW show and Guggenheim had nothing to do with it.

Star Trek DS9 turned some heads. It was a huge deviation from how most of the Star Trek properties worked under Roddenberry. That gave Ron Moore the credibility to do Battlestar Galactica. Which was a huge sleeper hit industry wise. Moore turned that into opportunities for Outlander and For All Mankind.

Rob Thomas is apparently getting a shot at The Lost Boys with heavy investment. He turned heads with Veronica Mars. VM was a staggering achievement considering that teen type drama had been beaten to death by countless other attempts by countless other people. VM was fresh and surprising.

I remember watching Some Kind Of Wonderful for the first time, and the scene with John Ashton and Eric Stoltz was pretty staggering. Most movies back then, the parents were idiots or tone deaf cutouts. Single dimensional roadblocks with no real agency. But John Hughes put a lot of humanity in the parents in his films. With Pretty In Pink, Molly Ringwald's dad was clearly mentally ill. Or so far into depression that she was forced to take care of him as a teenager. This is the kind of stuff no one wanted to really talk about back then.

John Hughes had a blank check to make any kind of teen/coming of age movie that he wanted. But he turned heads.

This Guggenheim hack sounds like someone who only wants to date really hot people but refuses to go to the gym and get ripped and refuses to go out and make a crap load of money first.

No one cares what you meant to do, they only care what you actually did better than everyone else.

It's this victim mentality that is like a swarm of locusts. Recently Wil Wheaton has gone on and on about how he was a victim as kid. And maybe he was, to be fair about it, but no one is going to pretend that it's also not some kind of career gimmick as well, to get his face plastered in the news and mainstream media. Wheaton got to make out with prime Ashley Judd, and be in big movies, so no one is going to rush to feel sorry for him.

This is just the kind of industry where many people are given things. Kate Hudson was a movie star because her step dad and mother were movie stars. Then other people are used and abused. Sucks for Wil Wheaton that his dad wasn't Marlon Brando. But you sure didn't talk about any of this before. Now everyone has a story. I call it the American Idol Syndrome. It's not just enough to be a damn good singer. You need to have been born an orphan and lived in the back of a van while being chased down by a drug cartel.

We will never see films like John Hughes films again. Just guys like Guggenheim and Wheaton sobbing as soon as they see a camera somewhere.

Well she's definitely had work done, perhaps not the best, most well-advised work. But I sympathize. Beautiful women arguably have further to fall than men when time pushes them off the cliff, particularly when subjected to the judgment of pretty much everyone, men and women.

Back