The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more sociopolitical posts. They're pointless and violate the board's Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct.

I've posted enough warnings. The next post I see that violates the rules will earn the lucky winner one of two prizes: a two-week or 30-day vacation.

Thread cleaned.

Which batsuit or suits do you like better?
I like the 1989, original Batfleck, and somewhat Begins and Forever sonar.

Patbat has some elements that are really nice. I would I prefer for the cowl to have the jaw covered a bit more, no collar, no useless darts on the gauntlets, and no tactical pants. I'd say half is of the costume works for me.

No more sociopolitical posts. They're pointless and violate the board's Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct.

I've posted enough warnings. The next post I see that violates the rules will earn the lucky winner one of two prizes: a two-week or 30-day vacation.

Thread cleaned.
I feel well rested I just WOKE up…

:chase

I like the 1989, original Batfleck, and somewhat Begins and Forever sonar.

Patbat has some elements that are really nice. I would I prefer for the cowl to have the jaw covered a bit more, no collar, no useless darts on the gauntlets, and no tactical pants. I'd say half is of the costume works for me.
Good call on BvS Battfleck suit. That's a definite contender for best ever suit, IMO.

Normally I don't love the shift away from comic book origins to overly tactical stuff but I just adore it on Pattinson's suit. I love the way that big ass utility pouch on his leg breaks up his silhouette. Plus the cowl, silver spikes on his forearms, etc.

I feel well rested I just WOKE up…

:chase
I can remedy that.
SkinnyPointedAnglerfish-max-1mb.gif
:monkey3

I watched it, finally.

sure-fine.gif

It starts off really clunky. The scene in the beginning where Battinson STARES with his BAT-STARE at the ORPHAN because they're BOTH.ORPHANS.MEANING.THEY.BOTH.HAVE.NO.DAAAAAAAAAADS(althoughthekidhasamumstillbutwhatever) was held too much. Honestly, his Batman was written like an angsty 15 YO who tries to be as cringy as possible. He's not a Gothic Brooder, he's literally every parody about Batman being an autist personified. It gets better as it progresses, and apart from a few jarring shots I can't find any technical flaws that stick out that much. The problem for me is that it tries to be uber-serious and create an atmosphere, but the dialogue and writing are so cheesy, the entire thing is such a PG-13 Fincher rip-off, and Riddler is so hilariously (badly) overacted, that it turns into some sort of forgotten late-90s Law & Order: Gimp Edition special episode. It both feels too boring and drawn out, and at the same time it doesn't immerse you in the world because it's a constant rotation of about 5 sets. The aesthetic is just throwing red overlays over dark lighting conditions.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it literally is "dood, Batman, but, like, it's directed by Fincher cuz he did, like, Se7en bro!11", just tacked on with a bunch of [current day] politics and then rounded up with bad cheese that doesn't even let the film be a genre-noir rip-off. The speech at the end is ridiculous, but then again so was most of the dialogue. Really, a "you're not my dad Alfred, because MY DAD IS DEAD" line 5 seconds after the guy walks in? And then you follow it up with "uwu awkward uwu" bonding/make-up? In a 3 hour movie you couldn't find time to let that breathe? It's filled with such nonsensical scenes and everyone generally seems as if they're working in a B-Movie from the late 90s.

Riddler... Jesus. This is the guy people found scary? This is the guy women on Twitter and Tumblr are thirsting for? Why you call him an incel I don't understand. I get that this place is full of 50 YOs who get their news from second-hand sources (not judging, just saying that I don't expect people here to be keeping up with trends as they evolve in the interwebs), but incel was a term created by lonely autists on the internet to describe themselves. The balding-at-20-while-being-5'5" crowd just gathering to find some company in self-pity. That's what the term was, before mass media and social media turned into the new version of the "virgin" insult. That's all it is. Everything else is out-of-context second-hand nonsense. It grew beyond that, but that's the term's origins.

I mention that not to get into a social discussion, but just to show that Riddler wasn't that and I don't get why every news site treats him as a "real problem". He was literally just an overacted zany killer with a motif and a generic political angle. There's been countless of politically-angled killers both IRL and in fiction, and nothing makes this one [current year], or incel-y or whatever else. Even the usual "REEEEEEE F*MALES REEEEE" definition of "incel" doesn't apply, as he's literally just angry at "corruption" and "lies". None of that has anything to do with the incel/virgin/woman-hater narrative. He could be an asexual furry with gender dysphoria or whatever else; nothing about his sexuality/romantic life is brought up. But moving beyond that, he was just cringy. I felt like I was watching the Riddler version of the Jokah Baybee. How Dano was reduced to this I don't understand. He wasn't intimidating, he wasn't "chilling" in his "realism", he was a true crime caricature that's a dime a dozen in fiction, and came off as an unhinged manchild who watched too much anime and tried to scare his bullies with gerbils, instead of an unhinged motivated sociopath on a crusade. His outbursts and mannerisms broke all immersion of this "dark noir epic". Sure, he caused a lot of damage so he was effective but his portrayal, not his actions, was laughable.

I can theoretically see why people would like this, but I just found it rather mediocre. It tried to do a couple of things but it was an amateurish approach. Oz was fun and I found Gordon likeable, but I think that's mostly because I like Farrell in general and also enjoy Wright very much and find him a "relaxing" actor. Kravitz was pretty good, Turturo is always enjoyable, Serkis wasn't given anything to do and that's pretty much it. Pattinson seemed as if he was regretting every single minute he was playing dress-up and just went into automode to deal with the awkwardness. How much is his fault and how much is the silly writing's I don't know, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

From the way this turned out and with Reeves' comments on hypothetical sequels, I doubt I'll be buying any dollies from the entire saga, unless they do some great translation of the Owls and the Talon(s) costume-wise. I'm mostly waiting for QS/IA to get the Arkham license and give me a great Ras tbh. I've said it before but I mostly enjoy the Gothic aspect of Batman, and this is full-on "neo-noir" pastiche, so I doubt I'll find much to interest me. I'll probably buy a Battinson down the line if they give him a better costume, if only just to have a Battinson, but all in all, my hype went to 0 and I have little interest in any follow-ups, bar seeing Pattinson again.

THE PHYSICAL SCARS OF THE PHYSICAL WOUNDS WE SUFFER IN OUR DAILY LIVES, SUCH AS FROM A PAPERCUT OR AN ACCIDENT WITH THE HAMMER AS WE TRY TO HANG A FRAME, MAY HEAL, BUT THE METAPHORICAL SCARS IN OUR HEARTS AND MINDS AND SOULS, WHETHER THESE BE REAL OR IF THIS MEAT BE ALL THAT WE ARE, WILL NOT SO EASILY HEAL, AGAIN, METAPHORICALLY FOR THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE PHYSICAL SCARS MENTIONED BEFORE, SO WE NEED HOPE AND NOT VENGEANCE, FOR THE FORMER IS HOPEFUL AND BRINGS COMMUNITIES TOGETHER WHILE THE LATTER IS APPARENTLY AND SURELY A SELF-DESTRUCTIVE CRUSADE THAT HAS NO EFFECTS BECAUSE OF REASONS, SO FROM NOW ON I WILL BE NOT VENGEANCE BUT HOPE AND WILL HEAL BOTH THE PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOSPIRITUAL WOUNDS IN BOTH ME AND MY CITY, WHICH OF COURSE IS COMPROMISED OF SEVERAL PEOPLE WITH BOTH PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOSPIRITUAL WOUNDS WHOSE LIVES I WILL AIM TO TRULY IMPROVE BY ACTING AS A BEACON OF HOPE AND CHANGE.

-Batman's Hopeful Journal, Entry 19/04/2022

PS: Acne Joker is still ridiculous, and the scene with him and the Riddler is one of the worst acted pieces of film and tv I've seen. I could grab random theater kids and they'd do better. I don't know what it is about this movie and having talented actors deliver such lukewarm to bad performances.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
AppleTV/iTunes copy looks amazing on a 4K UHD 83" Oled. Sonos everything makes this a spectacle. The extras are also pretty cool to have.

Yeah, I have HBO max but it's Batman. So **** it. Might as well see it in the best version there is. (still getting the BD release once it releases).

It is nice to finally experience a great Batman film ever since Nolan ended the TDK trilogy. Nothing in between counts.

AppleTV/iTunes copy looks amazing on a 4K UHD 83" Oled. Sonos everything makes this a spectacle. The extras are also pretty cool to have.

Yeah, I have HBO max but it's Batman. So **** it. Might as well see it in the best version there is. (still getting the BD release once it releases).

It is nice to finally experience a great Batman film ever since Nolan ended the TDK trilogy. Nothing in between counts.
Only BD? I preordered the 4k steelbook

I watched it, finally.

sure-fine.gif

It starts off really clunky. The scene in the beginning where Battinson STARES with his BAT-STARE at the ORPHAN because they're BOTH.ORPHANS.MEANING.THEY.BOTH.HAVE.NO.DAAAAAAAAAADS(althoughthekidhasamumstillbutwhatever) was held too much. Honestly, his Batman was written like an angsty 15 YO who tries to be as cringy as possible. He's not a Gothic Brooder, he's literally every parody about Batman being an autist personified. It gets better as it progresses, and apart from a few jarring shots I can't find any technical flaws that stick out that much. The problem for me is that it tries to be uber-serious and create an atmosphere, but the dialogue/writing are so cheesy, the entire thing is such a PG-13 Fincher rip-off, and Riddler is so hilariously (badly) overacted, that it turns into some sort of forgotten late-90s Law & Order: Gimp Edition special episode. It both feels too boring and drawn out, and at the same time it doesn't immerse you in the world because it's a constant rotation of about 5 sets. The aesthetic is just throwing red overlays over dark lighting conditions.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it literally is "dood, Batman, but, like, it's directed by Fincher cuz he did, like, Se7en bro!11", just tacked on with a bunch of [current day] politics and then rounded up with bad cheese that doesn't even let the film be a genre-noir rip-off. The speech at the end is ridiculous, but then again so was most of the dialogue. Really, a "you're not my dad Alfred, because MY DAD IS DEAD" line 5 seconds after the guy walks in? And then you follow it up with "uwu awkward uwu" bonding/make-up? In a 3 hour movie you couldn't find time to let that breathe? It's filled with such nonsensical scenes and everyone generally seems as if they really working in a B-Movie from the late 90s.

Riddler... Jesus. This is the guy people found scary? This is the guy women on Twitter and Tumblr are thirsting for? Why you call him an incel I don't understand. I get that this place is full of 50 YO who get their news from second-hand sources (not judging, just saying that I don't expect people here to be keeping up with trends as they evolve in the interwebs), but incel was a term created by lonely autists on the internet to describe themselves. The balding-at-20-while-being-5'5" crowd just gathering to find some company in self-pity. That's what the term was, before mass media and social media turned into the new version of the "virgin" insult. That's all it is. Everything else is out-of-context second-hand nonsense. It grew beyond that, but that's the term's origins.

I mention that not to get into a social discussion, but just to show that Riddler wasn't that and I don't get why every news site treats him as a "real problem". He was literally just an overacted zany killer with a motif and a generic political angle. There's been countless of politically-angled killers both IRL and in fiction, and nothing makes this one [current year], or incel-y or whatever else. Even the usual "REEEEEEE F*MALES REEEEE" definition of "incel" doesn't apply, as he's literally just angry at "corruption" and "lies". None of that has anything to do with the incel/virgin/woman-hater narrative. He could be an asexual furry with gender dysphoria or whatever else; nothing about his sexuality/romantic life is brought up. But moving beyond that, he was just cringy. I felt like I was watching the Riddler version of the Jokah Baybee. How Dano was reduced to this I don't understand. He wasn't intimidating, he wasn't "chilling" in his "realism", he was a true crime caricature that's a dime a dozen in fiction, and came off as an unhinged manchild who watched too much anime and tried to scare his bullies with gerbils, instead of an unhinged motivated sociopath on a crusade. His outbursts and mannerisms broke all immersion of this "dark noir epic". Sure, he caused a lot of damage so he was effective but his portrayal, not his actions, was laughable.

I can theoretically see why people would like this, but I just found it rather mediocre. It tried to do a couple of things but it was an amateurish approach. Oz was fun and I found Gordon likeable, but I think that's mostly because I like Farrell in general and also enjoy Wright very much and find him a "relaxing" actor. Kravitz was pretty good, Turturo is always enjoyable, Serkis wasn't given anything to do and that's pretty much it. Pattinson seemed as if he was regretting every single minute he was playing dress-up and just went into automode to deal with the awkwardness. How much is his fault and how much is the silly writing's I don't know, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

From the way this turned out and with Reeves' comments on hypothetical sequels, I doubt I'll be buying any dollies from the entire saga, unless they do some great translation of the Owls and the Talon(s) costume-wise. I'm mostly waiting for QS/IA to get the Arkham license and give me a great Ras tbh. I've said it before I enjoy the Gothic aspect of Batman and this is full-on "neo-noir" pastiche, so I doubt I'll find much to interest me. I'll probably buy a Battinson down the line if they give him a better costume, if only just to have a Battinson, but all in all, my hype went to 0 and I have little interest in any follow-ups, bar seeing Pattinson again.

THE PHYSICAL SCARS OF THE PHYSICAL WOUNDS WE SUFFER IN OUR DAILY LIVES, SUCH AS FROM A PAPERCUT OR AN ACCIDENT WITH THE HAMMER AS WE TRY TO HANG A FRAME, MAY HEAL, BUT THE METAPHORICAL SCARS IN OUR HEARTS AND MINDS AND SOULS, WHETHER THESE BE REAL OR IF THIS MEAT BE ALL THAT WE ARE, WILL NOT SO EASILY HEAL, AGAIN, METAPHORICALLY FOR THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE PHYSICAL SCARS MENTIONED BEFORE, WILL NOT SO EASILY HEAL SO WE NEED HOPE AND NOT VENGEANCE, FOR THE FORMER IS HOPEFUL AND BRINGS COMMUNITIES TOGETHER WHILE THE LATTER IS APPARENTLY AND SURELY A SELF-DESTRUCTIVE CRUSADE THAT HAS NO EFFECTS BECAUSE OF REASONS, SO FROM NOW ON I WILL BE NOT VENGEANCE BUT HOPE AND WILL HEAL BOTH THE PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOSPIRITUAL WOUNDS IN BOTH ME AND MY CITY, WHICH OF COURSE IS COMPROMISED OF SEVERAL PEOPLE WITH BOTH PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOSPIRITUAL WOUNDS WHOSE LIVES I WILL AIM TO TRULY IMPROVE BY ACTING AS A BEACON OF HOPE AND CHANGE.

PS: Acne Joker is still ridiculous, and the scene with him and the Riddler is one of the worst acted pieces of film and tv I've seen. I could grab random theater kids and they'd do better. I don't know what it is about this movie and having talented actors deliver such lukewarm to bad performances.

Spoiler Spoiler:
How.. how dare you

Only BD? I preordered the 4k steelbook

That's what I meant. I did go for the WM edition though, looks cooler IMO. Never understood the fascination with Steelbooks. I only ever buy physical media when it comes to Batman. Everything else is digital (movies/games/etc). That's probably why. Feels great having a minimalistic set up with absolutely no discs of any kind cluttering my space.

For games, it's got to be a seriously cool-looking ED for me to even consider a physical purchase.

That's what I meant. I did go for the WM edition though, looks cooler IMO. Never understood the fascination with Steelbooks. I only ever buy physical media when it comes to Batman. Everything else is digital (movies/games/etc). That's probably why. Feels great having a minimalistic set up with absolutely no discs of any kind cluttering my space.

For games, it's got to be a seriously cool-looking ED for me to even consider a physical purchase.
Less is More

I watched it, finally.

sure-fine.gif

It starts off really clunky. The scene in the beginning where Battinson STARES with his BAT-STARE at the ORPHAN because they're BOTH.ORPHANS.MEANING.THEY.BOTH.HAVE.NO.DAAAAAAAAAADS(althoughthekidhasamumstillbutwhatever) was held too much. Honestly, his Batman was written like an angsty 15 YO who tries to be as cringy as possible. He's not a Gothic Brooder, he's literally every parody about Batman being an autist personified. It gets better as it progresses, and apart from a few jarring shots I can't find any technical flaws that stick out that much. The problem for me is that it tries to be uber-serious and create an atmosphere, but the dialogue/writing are so cheesy, the entire thing is such a PG-13 Fincher rip-off, and Riddler is so hilariously (badly) overacted, that it turns into some sort of forgotten late-90s Law & Order: Gimp Edition special episode. It both feels too boring and drawn out, and at the same time it doesn't immerse you in the world because it's a constant rotation of about 5 sets. The aesthetic is just throwing red overlays over dark lighting conditions.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it literally is "dood, Batman, but, like, it's directed by Fincher cuz he did, like, Se7en bro!11", just tacked on with a bunch of [current day] politics and then rounded up with bad cheese that doesn't even let the film be a genre-noir rip-off. The speech at the end is ridiculous, but then again so was most of the dialogue. Really, a "you're not my dad Alfred, because MY DAD IS DEAD" line 5 seconds after the guy walks in? And then you follow it up with "uwu awkward uwu" bonding/make-up? In a 3 hour movie you couldn't find time to let that breathe? It's filled with such nonsensical scenes and everyone generally seems as if they really working in a B-Movie from the late 90s.

Riddler... Jesus. This is the guy people found scary? This is the guy women on Twitter and Tumblr are thirsting for? Why you call him an incel I don't understand. I get that this place is full of 50 YO who get their news from second-hand sources (not judging, just saying that I don't expect people here to be keeping up with trends as they evolve in the interwebs), but incel was a term created by lonely autists on the internet to describe themselves. The balding-at-20-while-being-5'5" crowd just gathering to find some company in self-pity. That's what the term was, before mass media and social media turned into the new version of the "virgin" insult. That's all it is. Everything else is out-of-context second-hand nonsense. It grew beyond that, but that's the term's origins.

From the way this turned out and with Reeves' comments on hypothetical sequels, I doubt I'll be buying any dollies from the entire saga, unless they do some great translation of the Owls and the Talon(s) costume-wise. I'm mostly waiting for QS/IA to get the Arkham license and give me a great Ras tbh. I've said it before I enjoy the Gothic aspect of Batman and this is full-on "neo-noir" pastiche, so I doubt I'll find much to interest me. I'll probably buy a Battinson down the line if they give him a better costume, if only just to have a Battinson, but all in all, my hype went to 0 and I have little interest in any follow-ups, bar seeing Pattinson again.

THE PHYSICAL SCARS OF THE PHYSICAL WOUNDS WE SUFFER IN OUR DAILY LIVES, SUCH AS FROM A PAPERCUT OR AN ACCIDENT WITH THE HAMMER AS WE TRY TO HANG A FRAME, MAY HEAL, BUT THE METAPHORICAL SCARS IN OUR HEARTS AND MINDS AND SOULS, WHETHER THESE BE REAL OR IF THIS MEAT BE ALL THAT WE ARE, WILL NOT SO EASILY HEAL, AGAIN, METAPHORICALLY FOR THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE PHYSICAL SCARS MENTIONED BEFORE, WILL NOT SO EASILY HEAL SO WE NEED HOPE AND NOT VENGEANCE, FOR THE FORMER IS HOPEFUL AND BRINGS COMMUNITIES TOGETHER WHILE THE LATTER IS APPARENTLY AND SURELY A SELF-DESTRUCTIVE CRUSADE THAT HAS NO EFFECTS BECAUSE OF REASONS, SO FROM NOW ON I WILL BE NOT VENGEANCE BUT HOPE AND WILL HEAL BOTH THE PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOSPIRITUAL WOUNDS IN BOTH ME AND MY CITY, WHICH OF COURSE IS COMPROMISED OF SEVERAL PEOPLE WITH BOTH PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOSPIRITUAL WOUNDS WHOSE LIVES I WILL AIM TO TRULY IMPROVE BY ACTING AS A BEACON OF HOPE AND CHANGE.

Spoiler Spoiler:
Victor will show you how a real serial killer acts!

laughing-christian-bale.gif

7732dbabc39f4b6c59749f572595d892.gif

Back