The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man , aomwtimes this place is great to remind me how many different opinions there are about what I see as clear cut…

Best Joker is still Ledger…..
then The Mark Hamill video game one..
then the Cartoon Mark Hamill.
then Gothams Joker
then Ceasar
then Phoenix, (even though its entirlly a copy of Taxi Driver…is such a blatant rip off I cannot believe everyone guvea it a pass)
The Letoker, terrible look, over the top acting also (and I like him as an actor)
dQn94cs.gif

YFAv4NX.gif

But I agree, Ledger is The Clown KING of Crime

lmklCqo.png

82xjQ4U.gif

As far as best looking Joker I prefer Phoenix > Ledger > Nicholson.

Best Bruce Wayne overall.

Not easy.

I’m still not entirely sold on RP Bruce although it was a nice contrast going from quiet soft Bruce to confident tank Batman it’s just he didn’t do much as Bruce other than sulk which is fine because The Batman was a BATMAN centric movie.

So for now I honestly can’t choose lol

I would say each Bruce have their own positive moments.

I do find it amazing that smaller RP pulled off as menacing a Batman as big boi Affleck did.

Last edited:
As far as best looking Joker I prefer Phoenix > Ledger > Nicholson.

Best Bruce Wayne overall.

Not easy.

I’m still not entirely sold on RP Bruce although it was a nice contrast going from quiet soft Bruce to confident tank Batman it’s just he didn’t do much as Bruce other than sulk which is fine because The Batman was a BATMAN centric movie.

So for now I honestly can’t choose lol

I would say each Bruce have their own positive moments.

I do find it amazing that smaller RP pulled off as menacing a Batman as big boi Affleck did.
That's because Batfleck still looks like Fatman, whereas Battinson comes off as guy with both strength and speed who would also shank you and pull off a "h-he's fast!111!" manauever.

2a6.jpg

While I was debating whether to cancel my DX019 and wait for a QS BaleBat, or just keep it and not go for that hypothetical upgrade, my mind started wandering to the other Batmen QS could make. I started looking for Batfleck pictures and Jesus, it looked better in my memory...

png-transparent-batman-batsuit-costume-film-director-the-dark-knight-returns-ben-affleck-celebrities-superhero-fictional-character.png
mms342-bat4.jpg

I get the idea behind it, but whenever I revisit it, all it does is make me gain a better appreciation for Bale's look. I was lukewarm towards it during his tenure, but looking back it was actually pretty cool. The lower portion was a bit too bare, but the upper torso worked. BaleMan was a Modern-Day Knight and the aesthetic fit him. He had his armour and his "steed" (Bat-Pod). Batfleck is a guy in a suit which is unflattering in general. The thematic element isn't there. Which I suppose comes down to personal preference. I like it when they lean into the Knightly aesthetic, as I prefer such stories over regular super-hero cape vigilantism. The tights don't work for me. Something like the Arkham suits me the most, and I hope QS makes if I'm being honest. It goes for too much in the aftermarket and there's no Bruce HS, plus all the material defects.

batman-arkham-knight-screen.jpg

Movie-Wise though, BaleMan wins for me. It helps I suppose that Bale has a more aristocratic air to him. Affleck's a handsome brooder, and I love his Bruce Wayne look, but Bale's Brit flair made it work a bit better.

dx19-17.jpg

To bring it to Batinson, he works for similar ways. It helps that while he's shorter, he comes off as more unhinged and fast, which is what Batman should be IMO. He should have more muscle than Batinson had, but he shouldn't be a 6'3" tank. I think with all of these characters who are normal humans who have to pull off both brute force and crazy acrobatics, you need to find a balance. The super-agile 6'6" uber-tank only works with a Magical Cyborg like Darth Vader. Real life has too many physics. And Batman, who's supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades ninja, shouldn't be a brick house. Granted, Canon Batman is 6'2" already, but higher than that it gets pretty tricky to buy him being effective as anything beyond a bruiser. One forgotten look that leaned completely into that was Gordon's Batsuit, which I also really loved, as it was essentially a Bat-Themed Ninja suit:

47ff62f06414093bbf28f494604e16a4721c5b60_hq.jpg

It's similar to the Beyond look, which, let's face it, is the more "realistic" take. A cape doesn't work with the character, at least in combat. It really should be a retractable one...

For the sequel, I'm hoping they give him something close to a mix of the Nu52 & Rebirth suits. That I'd buy in an instant, GigaUltraMegaDeluxe Edition and everything. Honestly, whatever they do I just hope they keep the collar. I've seen lots of fanart, but I particularly like this one's cowl:

3anv971env361.jpg

Beyond that, Pattinson just has a more "psycho" face. Affleck's a handsome bro type who grew into a DILF. Pattinson's got those deep eyes and high cheekbones that can make him either a handsome billionaire playboy like in Cosmopolis, or an unhinged autist like in Batman. Honestly, with how strong his jaw and distinctive his profile are, you'd think it'd be far easier to identify him in the ReevesVerse...

Either way, while I usually have a One-Figure-Per-Character rule, apart from very specific and unique costumes, I will be buying a Battinson dolly. I'll be waiting a bit, to see the QS & JND offerings, see how the year develops, and decide if I'll wait for the sequel too or if I'll jump on the current look. Bale will go with Ledger and they'll have their own special corner. Battinson will be my main Batman. Affleck and Keaton, while I do like them, aren't making the cut for me to drop an extra 300-500 on each as doubles/triples. Battinson had me hooked since the beginning, and seeing it all come together makes me genuinely want a representation of him, my Bale dolly aside.

giphy.gif

RE Joker: I liked Phoenix's performance, and I want a dolly, but he's divorced from the Joker for me. I'd put him in my Movie Shelf, not my Batman one. He's just too much of a ***** for me to see him as The/A Joker. Ledger had Chad energy, period. And I still think Leto could've pulled off a proper Joker, but with how it all turned out, I have no desire to own a doll of him. Sad news is, we'll be getting downgraded Ledger with "I'll Be Useful Sir", at least looks-wise. I want the bleached skin and green hair.

Last edited:
I liked when Batman chucked a baseball bat at that dude in the Iceberg Lounge. That whole scene was great - it felt like Batman fighting Maroni’s guys at the club in TDK on steroids.

Last edited:
Saw the movie last week, and while it far exceeded my low expectations it didn't give me a 'wow' factor. A bit like Joker, it was a more low key and gritty take on the world. A '70s style thriller with costumes.

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and the Gotham series are still my favourite live action interpretation of Batman's world.

Was thinking back about the film. The fact they used the his mom being an Arkham from the Earth one comic, opens the door to amazing ideas for future films. One story that I would love to see be done finally is Arkham Asylum a serious house on a serious earth. Where we get Joker being there as a guide to Batman rather then a main Villain. I was thinking they can tweak it slightly, and make it a modern version of Dante's Inferno with it connecting to the Arkham family, and that they where tormented, and controlled by the Court or Owls(Hence why the Arkham Family had mental illness caused by the court). Maybe even introduce Hugo Strange as the main villain who works for the court for his own schemes, and we see his obsession with The Batman.

Seriously… The Joker movie was ok but in no way shape or form was he the Joker. At least not in any one single comic I have read.

He had the body type but it ended there for me.

Never understood the hate for Leto’s Joker except he was in a less then stellar film and his look was all wrong. Thought they / he nailed it in ZSJL. Give me that joker any day over the Phoenix one.
Agree 100% on Phoenix ... actually yeah, he was thin but I've just as often seen the Joker as wiry ... fast albeit not powerful. Phoenix was just frail.

I don't particularly like Leto's Joker but don't hate him as much as some others do ... and at least he was playing the actual character, as you say.

Because Hot Toys promo pics and the actual product weren't the same. The final product was a vast improvement.
Yeah, there's more of a muscley look and less of a pajama feel, no doubt.

maxresdefault.jpg

But I was talking in more general terms about the Batfleck look. In-Universe I remembered him looking better than he truly does. But like I said, it comes down to preference. He's very close to a live action TDKR/Batman-In-Tights look. But as I prefer the armoured looks, I'm harsher on it. I still love his Bruce Wayne look, with the greying temples and all everything. But the suit... Eh. It was much more impressive as a 6 year-old memory... Again though, it's just preference. I know other Batfans who hate anything too armoury, and it's perfectly valid considering how many decades he's spent in that mode.

Man , aomwtimes this place is great to remind me how many different opinions there are about what I see as clear cut…

Best Joker is still Ledger…..
then The Mark Hamill video game one..
then the Cartoon Mark Hamill.
then Gothams Joker
then Ceasar
then Phoenix, (even though its entirlly a copy of Taxi Driver…is such a blatant rip off I cannot believe everyone guvea it a pass)
The Letoker, terrible look, over the top acting also (and I like him as an actor)

Now I see people do not like the Nolan Batman? and prefer Snyder? damn….

TDK
TB
Video game Batman
BB
Cartoon Batman
TDKR
B (Keaton)
BR
Snyders Batman films New DC nonsense
BnR
BF
Batman TV

Dunno what that says about how I like my Batmen….maybe someone should analyze it. I know I do not like campy nipple Batmen….

Not a fan of Jack Nicholson?

Seeing as we are ranking (unless we aren't, in which case I apologise!)

Best Joker (theatrical releases)

Hamill
Nicholson
Ledger
Leto
Romero
Phoenix

Best Batman (theatrical releases)

Pattinson
Keaton
Conroy
Affleck
Bale
West

Best Batman movie (theatrical releases)

The Batman
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman (1989)
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight
Batman vs Superman (this and ZSJL are interchangeable, can't decide)
Zack Snyder's Justice League (this and BvS are interchangeable, can't decide)
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman (1966)
Batman & Robin
Justice League

Full disclosure; this is a list of what I think are the best "Batman" movies (as in best adaptation of the Batman character and his world), not necessarily the best in terms of cinematic quality. Although "The Batman" would top that list too.

Last edited:
Saw the movie last week, and while it far exceeded my low expectations it didn't give me a 'wow' factor. A bit like Joker, it was a more low key and gritty take on the world. A '70s style thriller with costumes.

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and the Gotham series are still my favourite live action interpretation of Batman's world.
The Batman is a fantastic film and it would be unfair of me to pit it against BB and TDK - nostalgia (especially for TDK) can often cause biased judgement.

It deserves repeat viewings - there's a lot to take in. It's up there with BB and TDK though. :1-1:

I know that previous Batman actors all did a pretty good job of playing Bruce Wayne as the larger than life aristocratic playboy and that that is pretty accurate to the comics but I just loved Pattinson's detached and seemingly unstable vibe that he couldn't bury even as Bruce. It just seemed so much more authentic for a character that actually lives and survives in the world presented on screen and really helped sell why criminals would genuinely fear him despite the costume (I don't think a single bad guy made fun of it which is rare for live-action?) to the point that even cops were unsettled around him.

He truly was Batman first and foremost and Pattinson was absolutely perfectly cast.

Back