The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After posting that, it got me curious to see if I still had the emails from the TDK marketing, and holy crap, they're still there after 12 years!! :LOL:

I was just reading one of the many emails I got. This one was sent to me by "Jim Gordon."

And it says,

My friend,

Indictments are about to be handed down. If you don't want your name on one, we'll need your full cooperation in an upcoming operation.

In case you haven't heard, we are struggling with a bit of corruption in the department. I'm not about to let the Gotham PD collapse in on itself, so we're taking action. We've identified a group of offenders that need to be apprehended. Problem is, most of these cops are hightailing it out of the city. But a C.I. just like you just gave us some information on their last known whereabouts. Now all we need is to catch them. This is where you come in.

Consider yourself on deck. I'll contact you next week, and let’s just say it's in your best interest to play along. County's not a place you want to spend the rest of your life.

Lt. Jim Gordon, MCU
The last mail I got was from "The Joker" on 7/10/2008, called "Last Laugh"

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work anymore. It was for an early screening of the film. Sadly, after a year of emails and clues, I couldn't go to the early screening. I've always wondered what giftbag or souvenir they gave those people that went to see the film.

http://www.whysoserious.com/kickingandscreening HA HA HA HA HA ha HA HA ha HA HA ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha HA HA ha HA HA HA ha ha ha HA HA ha HA HA HA ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ha HA HA ha HA ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha HA HA ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA HA ha ha HA ha HA ha HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha HA HA HA HA ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA HA ha HA ha

I remember there was a full message from Joker, giving the location and time of the screening and saying something about clothes or masks being optional. It was a cool looking page too, IIRC.

Last edited:
After posting that, it got me curious to see if I still had the emails from the TDK marketing, and holy crap, they're still there after 12 years!! :LOL:

I was just reading one of the many emails I got. This one was sent to me by "Jim Gordon."

And it says,

The last mail I got was from "The Joker" on 7/10/2008, called "Last Laugh"

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work anymore. It was for an early screening of the film. Sadly, after a year of emails and clues, I couldn't go to the early screening. I've always wondered what giftbag or souvenir they gave those people that went to see the film.

http://www.whysoserious.com/kickingandscreening HA HA HA HA HA ha HA HA ha HA HA ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha HA HA ha HA HA HA ha ha ha HA HA ha HA HA HA ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ha HA HA ha HA ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha HA HA ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA HA ha ha HA ha HA ha HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha HA HA HA HA ha HA HA HA ha HA HA HA HA ha HA ha

I remember there was a full message from Joker, giving the location and time of the screening and saying something about clothes or masks being optional. It was a cool looking page too, IIRC.
Back when movie websites used to be fun too. Good times!

Too likely to trigger someone. :rolleyes:
True indeed.
tenor.gif

Maybe the scenes are really long. Like if he was in Jaws and said I'm just in one scene, the boat scene -- that's half the movie.

But I imagine you're right and he's not in it much. Like Harvey Dent in Batman '89. If he Collin didn't look like Harvey Weinstein, you'd likely miss him.

As it should be.

Probably too much Catwoman though.
So this was based off the Long Halloween, then when the animated movie released they said the director wasn't doing The Long Halloween anymore for this movie so they could release the animated film. Not sure what to think, but Catwoman was in TLH a lot.

Maybe the scenes are really long. Like if he was in Jaws and said I'm just in one scene, the boat scene -- that's half the movie.

But I imagine you're right and he's not in it much. Like Harvey Dent in Batman '89. If he Collin didn't look like Harvey Weinstein, you'd likely miss him.
According to him, about 8 minutes.

I never understand putting a major character in a cameo role.

So much effort to develop an interesting look (not in this case) only to use it as basically an advertising gimmick. But what if you you change your mind on his look in three years? What if a better writer/director comes up with a great new idea and you're stuck with what you established? Is the 8 minutes of screen time so important? Might be better to tease him in silhouette or something, gives you latitude to change and cast better.

You plan something, then something else happens that changes the plan... and you end up with TDKR.

I never understand putting a major character in a cameo role.

So much effort to develop an interesting look (not in this case) only to use it as basically an advertising gimmick. But what if you you change your mind on his look in three years? What if a better writer/director comes up with a great new idea and you're stuck with what you established? Is the 8 minutes of screen time so important? Might be better to tease him in silhouette or something, gives you latitude to change and cast better.

You plan something, then something else happens that changes the plan... and you end up with TDKR.
Just a B/C plot villain to track down and show off Batman's prowess. Might even be showing you the regular joe villain, then contrasting how different and challenging the Riddler really is. Penguin could grow into something more in a sequel or be the dumb criminal he captures again in another B/C plot scenario. Reminds me of the Turk Barrett character from the Netflix Marvel shows; gun runner that gets beat or caught by each Marvel hero.

I think they plan to have Penguin come back... but once you burn the reveal of a character like that, you really lose interest in seeing them again as a major player.

It was the inherent problem with (the plan of) having Ledger Joker come back for Part II. It would never be as good or as shocking, surprising, masterful as the first time. Plus, he would have been diluted by the newest villain (whoever that would have been).

If you want a 5-minute villain, then pick a B or C level villain that you can burn and be done with.

Yeah, the time and money spent for Penguin is just to have that name and reveal for the trailer and advertising. If it helps bring in butts, then that's all that matters.

Back