Sideshow Cad Bane The Clone Wars Animated 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to add here what I just put under the Hot Toys Cad Bane thread in response to a members comment.

I understand the underlying pessimism here due to some recent Prototype to Production disappointments, but I do have hope.

I always thought that Sideshow did their best work on aliens/creatures rather than human portraits/proportion. I still have my Greedo, Hammerhead (sorry guys old school), Sandperson and creature pack and think they still hold up well. Also they have already produced a Cad Bane headsculpt in a historical offering and I thought it was good for the time.

So, that is why I have some hope for this figure and will pre-order day one, if this goes up.

As I said in the other thread, I don’t think it’s a good idea to give them money on an NRD just because they made good figures a decade ago.

Sideshow today is vastly different from back then. They made some great figures but that was a core part of their business.

They are mainly distributors now with a glorified side business of making some figures here and there.

The quality of their figures - which, let’s be honest, was not always as good as it could’ve been - has only gone downhill with each passing year.

Wait for in-hand reviews. If you want the figure still, get it on discount.

They produce Threezero quality figures (sometimes worse) while charging $300+ for it. At least Threezero has the decency to charge $150-$180 for their 1/6 figures.

Being a distributor for Hot Toys has let it get to Sideshow's head that they're somehow worth the same prices as them. I'd gladly grab this line if it was in the $150 area but they're all close to $300 after tax and shipping while outputting mediocre quality. What's worse is that they've been in the 1/6 game for almost as long as Hot Toys themselves while only having downgraded over the years.

I actually feel like 3Z is doing better quality than Sideshow at this point at least when it comes to this CW line. Their Eastwood figures, while having questionable headsculpts, have come out looking pretty close to the protos, especially Preacher. Still not worth the nearly $300 price tag but those don't look to be as much of a bait and switch as the CW figures.

I actually feel like 3Z is doing better quality than Sideshow at this point at least when it comes to this CW line. Their Eastwood figures, while having questionable headsculpts, have come out looking pretty close to the protos, especially Preacher

I’d rather buy a $300 ThreeZero figure than a $300 Sideshow one.

But thankfully there’s no one forcing me to buy either. :lol

This won’t be better than the Hot Toys figure which is fantastic and one of the best releases of the year so far. Even though this look may technically be more iconic for fans of TCW (myself included) I’m not going to bother.

IMG_5152.png

From the sideshow social network

I think it's more likely they just were waiting for the hot toys version be suitably sold out so as to make theirs the only option in town.
Sounds like normal bonehead Sideshow logic.

Rather than release at the same time as HT and get any people on the fence to go for SS's version, they wait until everyone has a HT ordered or already received leaving less customers to buy theirs.

Last edited:
Sounds like normal bonehead Sideshow logic.

Rather than release at the same time as HT and get any people on the fence to go for SS's version, they wait until everyone has a HT ordered or already received leaving less customers to buy theirs.

Even if they were up at the same time, I just can’t imagine a ton of people struggling to choose between the two.

I wonder if HT actually has some sway over Sideshow’s figure announcements.
This would certainly be viewed as a competing product so HT may mandate that a certain percentage of their version must be sold before SSC can announce the same character.

Seeing as SSC are now able to delay HT HK releases till they get their stock in, it makes sense that they would have agreed to certain concessions.

Back