Raimi: I want new 'Spider-Man' vision

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a77945/raimi-i-want-new-spider-man-vision.html

Sam Raimi has revealed that he is looking for a new writer to bring a fresh take to the Spider-Man franchise.

Raimi, who directed the first three installments of the superhero series, claims that he doesn't want to write the fourth film because he wants somebody else's perspective on how the character should develop.

He told MTV: "Right now, a writer is being sought to write the next installment. We're in the very early stages. I won't be working on the story. It'll be a brand new writer coming in with a brand new story - a fresh take on the Spider-Man series.

"We're hearing different versions right now and really enjoying the different stories. Hopefully, we'll hear one that sounds right for the fourth installment.

"Yes, that's right. In this case, it's more in the writer's hands. I'm going to let the writer envision where Peter Parker would go to next."

After the last one everyone should be fired..

I agree wholeheartedly! Spider-Man 3 was unbelievably horrible. Still, the first two were amazing. Raimi and company just can't bring in so many villians for Spidey to fight this time around. Take on one baddy and that's it. More emphasis on character development too.

I agree wholeheartedly! Spider-Man 3 was unbelievably horrible. Still, the first two were amazing. Raimi and company just can't bring in so many villians for Spidey to fight this time around. Take on one baddy and that's it. More emphasis on character development too.

Just like a simular trend with the Batman films, 3rd one is bad, and it goes downhill from there.. Then the series is reborn again. Hopefully there will be no "Schumacher" in the 4th installment of SM :p

Sounds like he might just produce instead of direct. I didn't hate 3, but it certainly didn't live up to 2 or even 1. It's time for Sam to supervise a new director - bring some freshness to the franchise.

Raimi was pressurised ( by Avi Arad , if you ask me ) to include the character of Venom in Spider-Man 3 . I know Spider-Fans from the 80's and 90's worship this character , but Raimi's reference point for his version of Spider-Man is the 60's and 70's and like it or not , Venom DOES NOT fit into the "world" Raimi so perfectly crafted in the first two movies . The directors turnaround regarding the inclusion of Venom hinted at "studio pressure" and as usual , the people pulling the strings lack of confidence in Raimi's vision of the franchise . In publicity leading up to S-M 3's release , Raimi was obviously reluctant to commit to another instalment , as director at least . This latest development seems a way of keeping him involved , but taking the franchise in a direction more suited to the needs of the studio . Whatever the reasoning , it doesn't fill me with confidence for the future of the movie series . Think about this , Raimi's original premise featured The Vulture and ( Sir) Ben Kingsley was approached . How perfect would that have been?

Raimi was pressurised ( by Avi Arad , if you ask me ) to include the character of Venom in Spider-Man 3 . I know Spider-Fans from the 80's and 90's worship this character , but Raimi's reference point for his version of Spider-Man is the 60's and 70's and like it or not , Venom DOES NOT fit into the "world" Raimi so perfectly crafted in the first two movies . The directors turnaround regarding the inclusion of Venom hinted at "studio pressure" and as usual , the people pulling the strings lack of confidence in Raimi's vision of the franchise . In publicity leading up to S-M 3's release , Raimi was obviously reluctant to commit to another instalment , as director at least . This latest development seems a way of keeping him involved , but taking the franchise in a direction more suited to the needs of the studio . Whatever the reasoning , it doesn't fill me with confidence for the future of the movie series . Think about this , Raimi's original premise featured The Vulture and ( Sir) Ben Kingsley was approached . How perfect would that have been?

i agree with you and thought i read something about the vulture somewhere a short time after the first one came out. i liked it like that, but also love Venom...so i was happy at first when i found out about him being in the movie... however, i was upset when i found out that Raimi was forced to include venom from his bosses.

Sounds like he might just produce instead of direct. I didn't hate 3, but it certainly didn't live up to 2 or even 1. It's time for Sam to supervise a new director - bring some freshness to the franchise.
I totally agree, a new director would keep this franchise from going the way of the 'Schumacher'.

Think about this , Raimi's original premise featured The Vulture and (Sir) Ben Kingsley was approached . How perfect would that have been?
That would have been AWESOME. :monkey2

the problem with spiderman 3 was that the three villains did not amount to one Doc Oc
:chew

Raimi was pressurised ( by Avi Arad , if you ask me ) to include the character of Venom in Spider-Man 3 . I know Spider-Fans from the 80's and 90's worship this character , but Raimi's reference point for his version of Spider-Man is the 60's and 70's and like it or not , Venom DOES NOT fit into the "world" Raimi so perfectly crafted in the first two movies .

True, but if you really look at SM3, the whole film circled around Venom/Brock and the Symbiote costume. From the get go the Symbiote was in the limelight with Sandman ending up being a serious sidenote throughout the film. Brock and Parker's relationship, weaving that through Gwen, etc. It didn't feel like Venom was forced other than half-assed. The transformation and ending sequence occurred so fast that it gave really no development at all....Sandman ended up being a blip on the film's radar. In reality if Raimi was being forced into Venom he should have introduced the actual Venom character early and through flashbacks of Peter's realizations told the story of Brock and Parker. Just eliminate the whole Sandman aspect completely. I really hope with SM4, they take a look at the history select a villain that can develop the same way GG and Octopus were allowed to in the first two and just let it take its course. I say bring on Mysterio or the Vulture or even Electro and allow some hardcore Spidey Rogues some really great screen time.

It looks as if Raimi is still attached one way or another, what I read is that he'll direct not write but then again from that blurb you could read it a number of ways. I wonder what is to be said about the rest of the cast especially Dunst and Maguire who were particularly vocal about ending their relationship with the franchise with SM3...

Last edited:
True, but if you really look at SM3, the whole film circled around Venom/Brock and the Symbiote costume. From the get go the Symbiote was in the limelight with Sandman ending up being a serious sidenote throughout the film. Brock and Parker's relationship, weaving that through Gwen, etc. It didn't feel like Venom was forced other than half-assed. The transformation and ending sequence occurred so fast that it gave really no development at all....Sandman ended up being a blip on the film's radar. In reality if Raimi was being forced into Venom he should have introduced the actual Venom character early and through flashbacks of Peter's realizations told the story of Brock and Parker. Just eliminate the whole Sandman aspect completely. I really hope with SM4, they take a look at the history select a villain that can develop the same way GG and Octopus were allowed to in the first two and just let it take its course. I say bring on Mysterio or the Vulture or even Electro and allow some hardcore Spidey Rogues some really great screen time.

All correct , but another way of saying "half-assed" is compromised . Raimi wanted Sandman and The Vulture , Sony wanted Venom . The compromise was Vulture out - Venom in , hence the shoe-horning in of the character . The lack of convincing story development shows that the Venom/Brock/Symbiote story arc was added relatively late in the day , as opposed to early on in the screenplays evolution .

If you remove Venom and insert the Vulture, Sandman still comes off as a side story at best....my biggest complaint is not about Venom himself and the lack of development because that was a given with the last minute attachment but that Sandman was never developed properly, even moment at the end that was supposed to be touching came off as lame. The Sandman had the potential to be an excellent villain and despite being teamed up with anyone, it was just never realized. In my honest opinion if Sony/Columbia would be willing they'd be working on another Spider-Man 3 and wipe out this one from memory similar to what Superman Returns did for the godawful Superman III and Superman IV

I say Raimi forgets Spidey right now and make EVIL DEAD 4!!!!

Back