No Edition Size with NRD Doesn't Matter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's ironic is the number of people who have ordered it and don't like the exclusive portrait. It seems the limited nature of the figure is something that people are still clinging to, despite the concern that it won't be limited.

I've gotta admit, I got on the waitlist for the Ex. because. . .it is exclusive. I don't like the Ex. head and only want the regular version for display. But, they cost the same on Sideshow's site, plus Sideshow's customer service and 5% back via reward points makes it a better route than buying from other retailers.

So I guess, for me, that I'll go with an Ex. I've got no use for. . .holding all other things constant. Because at least if I sell it down the road, it's then worth a few bucks more. I supposed edition size plays some role in that, as well, though I can't imagine I would ever use edition size as a key factor in my decision-making calculus when deciding to buy something or not. For me, that kind of thing matters on the margins.

Atleast you're straightforward about it.

I didn't like the Vampirella PF exclusive portrait, so I ordered through Alter Ego. No NRD. $35 cheaper. No Sideshow reward points, but AE has their own system. I weighed my financial means in the short run against all of the potential shorfalls of the longrun, and that was the answer that suited me best.

Edition size is important. Isn't ignoring that what destroyed Master Replicas? The question is whether a company should put the customer desire to know ahead of time (which strikes me more as OCD and excessive need for reassurance than anything else, particularly with a company that's been around long enough to know how ES can break them if they don't get it right) ahead of their own need to accurately gauge the market.

Yeah, I agree with you. The issue from my perspective would really be--how many customers' desires are being affected, how might they respond, and what are the drawbacks to acceding to the demands of those customers? Sideshow's willingness to refund NRDs seems like a sufficient bone to quell even those complaints, though I don't suppose it will. :D

tootsie.jpg

The world may never know. . .

:goodpost: to both of you.

It's being able to read conversations like these that keeps me coming back to these boards multiple times a day.

it seems ES only matters when sideshow puts somehing up for order with a high flip factor :dunno

Seems like it. :huh

I've gotta admit, I got on the waitlist for the Ex. because. . .it is exclusive. I don't like the Ex. head and only want the regular version for display. But, they cost the same on Sideshow's site, plus Sideshow's customer service and 5% back via reward points makes it a better route than buying from other retailers.

So I guess, for me, that I'll go with an Ex. I've got no use for. . .holding all other things constant. Because at least if I sell it down the road, it's then worth a few bucks more. I supposed edition size plays some role in that, as well, though I can't imagine I would ever use edition size as a key factor in my decision-making calculus when deciding to buy something or not. For me, that kind of thing matters on the margins.

Although I didn't like the Ex portrait...it's starting to grow on me.

All the points you make are what I thought about the Ex in regards to Reward Points, SSC's Customer Service and resale value if I decide to later on.

I'm surprised that in this entire thread or the original post not a signle person has touched on open edition sizes being an issue. When I did collect SS products their current system really wasn't a huge concern for me. As long as it had some sort of fair ES attached to the piece later on...I would pre-order it. However, pieces like their 1:2 Ironman at $2000 with an unlimited run really defeats the purpose of a "collectible". That piece went up for pre-order over 2 years ago and seems it will never sell out. As a collector of mostly 1:2 pieces myself, I believe this to be a very efficient method of losing customers business with the advent of their new LSF line.

The legacy Neytiri piece is also following suit with no ES as will probably other pieces in the LSF line. How can they expect to command largely inflated prices for an unlimited piece and still say they are staying true to collectors?. To me this is a very transparent practice of company greed, milking the cow till it's dead.

If anyone here even TRIES to deffend open editions sizes then you are no collector. In my personal opinion open edition size pieces have the same collectibility as rocks....take your pick.

I would say this is where the "NRD vs ES" argument or "praise" becomes a real concern and not something a long standing company should be proud of.

I think this thread was a little pre-mature in it's "congratulations" to SS when this is a practice that is still continuing.

Chris

Last edited:
Open edition sizes are not at issue here.

However, if the open edition produces 10 pieces, I'd like to know where you live that they have such collectible rocks.

Open edition sizes are not at issue here.

However, if the open edition produces 10 pieces, I'd like to know where you live that they have such collectible rocks.

Why are open ES not an issue?...because you say so?...you say it with such finality.

You were quick to create a thread of "praise" to SS, then dismiss the first legitimate point you overlooked.

How can you say an open ES is a none issue?. The reason why something gets designated a "collectible" in the first place is due to its availability and/or "edition size".

By your own statement and by definition "Sideshow collectibles" should change their name to "Sideshow products". Because as I said, theirs nothing collectible about something thats unlimited. Further, its outrageous to attach a high price tag to an unlimted product and expect masses of people willing to pay it. Would you pay $1000 for a toothbrush if SS made it because they called it a collectible?....of course not....no one would. Yet people are expected to pay $2000 for an Ironman statue to where the same concept applies :dunno

Their is no defending open edition sizes. Just because your "ok" with it does not mean its right for a collectible company to do so, or for others to accept it. SS has never given a valid reason for this nor do I expect one in this thread from them.

You can congratulate SS's efforts all you want (I dont believe they reward SS points for this), but in the end as I've always said....the creed is greed.

Chris

Last edited:
By your own statement and by definition "Sideshow collectibles" should change their name to "Sideshow products". Because as I said, theirs nothing collectible about something thats unlimited.
:goodpost:

Exactly what I said earlier and was buried quickly by bickering. SSC might as well change their name to Side Show Statues if the policy is always gong to be an open ES, b/c part of the intrigue of buying collectible items is that they are limited or special editions.

:goodpost:

Exactly what I said earlier and was buried quickly by bickering. SSC might as well change their name to Side Show Statues if the policy is always gong to be an open ES, b/c part of the intrigue of buying collectible items is that they are limited or special editions.

Open ES =/= TBD ES.

Why are open ES not an issue?...because you say so?...you say it with such finality.

If you can come up with a single scrap of evidence (I'll even accept a half scrap) that suggests that the issue of open edition size is relevant to the undisclosed ES on the Joker PF, I'll amend my certainty to a tentative, "Oh, wait, the edition size on this statue is 1250."

As for the rest, how many 1:2 scale Iron Man statues do you think they made? A non-collectible amount? You think that the statue is not rare because they put no limit on the production numbers? Why is a number scribbled on the base the litmus test of collectibility? That scratch of ink is not coterminus with low quantities.

Lack of a pre-set edition size does not equate to an unlimited number of statues. Your argument hinges on there being an infinite quantity of 1:2 Iron Mans. There aren't.

Atheris said:
....the creed is greed.

I'm sorry, how much do you make a year? Do you know how many starving children could be fed with one of your toy Lamborghinis?

No cares two rat turds about Hot Toys edition sizes and they pull double, triple and quadruple retail prices.

Sideshow should just ditch releasing edition sizes all together.

Just sayin'.

If I were able to convey the amount of clarity and truth in as few words, I wouldn't get stuck for such a long time in these damn threads. I think there's a direct correlation between number of words used, time spent in thread, and likelihood of being infracted.

King Darkness is way ahead of the curve. :lecture

The T-800 battle damaged endo bust has no edition size. It's $500 a pop. I'm sure they have sold A LOT - though I don't recall any complaints. :dunno To be honest, I don't hang out in the Terminator threads much so I don't know if no edition size was ever an issue for that piece.

Back