No Edition Size with NRD Doesn't Matter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you buying them then, To flip? Does the way the piece looks on your shelf not come first?

I think there are 2 types of collectors

1) The collector who wants the piece no matter what and buys it
because he/her likes it and wants in there collection to look at
and every time they see it, It brings a sense of pleasure that
they own it.

2) The collector who sits on the fence before ordering wondering how
much the piece will be worth in 6 mths and is it worth pulling the
trigger on it, This buyer walks past there shelf everyday wondering
if the price has gone up on there piece or if they have lost money
and when they look at the piece they see $$$ signs at not how
great it looks. They like it of course but the money side edges it.

Both are collectors but for different reasons :dunno

Every collector likes there pieces to go up in value who wouldn't but when you don't buy a piece you like because it might not be collectable enough or go up in value enough you have got to start to question yourself are you in the right game. :peace

As much as I would love to be lectured by a board newb, myself having collected avidly since 2000; somehow I don't think I will suffer myself that privilege. :sleep

However, having been in the game a LONG time, I know as well as though who have that collectibles ebb and flow; and while I don't collect to resell, there are inevitable times where we do make room, part with or make profit on our collections.

Collectible has to mean just that, collectible; and an ES of 10,000 is merely commonplace. Oh, and you might want to research the companies that have forgotten that (*cough Gentle Giant) and see how they are doing.

In any case, Sideshow will do what they think is best for their business - which is in existence to make money - and if most collectors are on board with this, then more power to them.

As much as I would love to be lectured by a board newb, myself having collected avidly since 2000; somehow I don't think I will suffer myself that privilege. :sleep

However, having been in the game a LONG time, I know as well as though who have that collectibles ebb and flow; and while I don't collect to resell, there are inevitable times where we do make room, part with or make profit on our collections.

Collectible has to mean just that, collectible; and an ES of 10,000 is merely commonplace. Oh, and you might want to research the companies that have forgotten that (*cough Gentle Giant) and see how they are doing.

In any case, Sideshow will do what they think is best for their business - which is in existence to make money - and if most collectors are on board with this, then more power to them.

Not lecturing just posting a reply to how your post seemed to come across:sleep

Not lecturing just posting a reply to how your post seemed to come across:sleep

You have every right to pay full retail price (including the NRD) for something that I will get off of eBay for much less ... or better yet, even use a gift card on later.

:lecture

That's not what I mean.

What makes you think that an undisclosed ES means there are going to be 10,000 Jokers?

I don't, I have no way of knowing what the ES will be; and I am not all that attached to the Joker, personally.

However there will be that inevitable piece that I will have interest in and the dilemma will be to "purchase" it up front (the NRD) or wait it out until it hits the secondary market. As of late, it seems the secondary market is quite safe; so I don't feel much if any compulsion to make many pre-orders. I don't fault the TBD or NRD solely for this; I think the larger issue is the current economy and lack of disposal income, but it is what it is.

Again, it has to work for Sideshow and if they are happy with it, then so be it. Hopefully for them, there will be more collectors satisfied with their procedures than not.

If there's no connection between the state of the aftermarket based on the economy, and the potential for inflated edition sizes based on the x factor of TBD, why are you drawing associations between the two? They are completely unrelated.

I am not so sure that they are unrelated, but the aftermarket is not my main concern. I only brought up the opportunity afforded to me as a collector to be more choosey as to when and where I order from. Sideshow's business decision (which they obviously believe to be a good one) has thus far allowed me to not only save money off of retail prices - including that of exclusives - but to also negate any need to put money down on a product that might turn out to be lacking the collectibility that I enjoy.

I personally find the practice of placing a NRD on something without a stated edition size to be presumptuous; but don't cast any judgments on Sideshow other than my selecting to not spend my money with them. In the end though there have been a good many reasons why I have elected to not spend my money with them; long before their latest sales procedure.

I am certain that the market and their customer base will determine if such a policy is viable and they will either adjust or stick with what works best for them.

Hi All,

Thank you for the thread. The Joker Ex edition size will be posting this week! Even though this item has opened up the collector base to a wider DC audience, not previously purchasing product from us, I think collectors will be pleased to see that the edition size is well in range with our other edition sizes.

Sideshow Collectibles tries to provide as much information as possible when each item is posted for pre-order. There are several factors that contribute to an edition size being posted as TBD when launched. Even though we try to make sure all items have an edition size, sometimes this is not possible.

Our Customer Service has always treated our customers concerns fairly and we usually give a courtesy 'one time' NRD refund to the client if they contact us in a timely manner about their concerns for such things as abnormally large edition sizes or significant delivery delays. However, our Customer Service reps find that many of the cancellations we do receive due to 'edition size' concerns are not received within a reasonable time of the announcement of the edition size but just prior to clients having to pay for the item.

Ultimately, we receive very few complaints, in comparison to the whole, about editions sizes that are set after launching with TBDs because our editions sizes are usually within an established range.

Our 30 day Return Policy also protects the clients against item damages, defects in addition it lets them exercise their right to inspect the item and just change their mind.

We appreciate all the collectors, regardless of where they make their purchases. The staff at Sideshow hopes that the item they choose will become part of their lifetime collection and bring back fond memories of the movie, comic book or character that inspired them!

Hi All,

Thank you for the thread. The Joker Ex edition size will be posting this week!

Thank you... guess will be announced in the Newsletter...

Even though this item has opened up the collector base to a wider DC audience, not previously purchasing product from us, I think collectors will be pleased to see that the edition size is well in range with our other edition sizes.

So that means 50 - 2000 :rotfl

Thanks again... always good to hear from SSC direct

We appreciate all the collectors, regardless of where they make their purchases. The staff at Sideshow hopes that the item they choose will become part of their lifetime collection and bring back fond memories of the movie, comic book or character that inspired them!

To me this is what collecting is about...not edition sizes.

Thank you Sideshow for all your collectible goodness! :yess: :duff

it seems ES only matters when sideshow puts somehing up for order with a high flip factor :dunno

2011-02-10_140732_nail+on+head.jpg

Although, there are still some that will complain regardless of the flip factor. There does seem to be a larger fuss with items such as the Joker PF. I'll never understand it I suppose. For me, all I can think when people start complaining about an unannounced ES is:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW43SXk2Ac"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW43SXk2Ac[/ame]

Back