No Edition Size with NRD Doesn't Matter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're suggesting more work was putting into the sculpting/painting in the past than currently is now, then you're just not very educated about their sculptors and artists. Feel free to visit their sites and galleries when you have some spare time ....

What? Reread what I wrote, you made a mistake.

now that Ive had a couple beers I read it differently .. damn sobriety.. my apologies .. :duff

ES is not that important to me. If the exclusive Joker had an ES of 300, 1500, or even 8000 there will be nobody that I know that will enter my apartment and see the Joker and say "Oh, yeah. That's that Sideshow Joker. My uncle has one of those. I see you have the exclusive version." They will say, "Holy __. That is a really cool Joker statue and that big Darth Vader head (they wouldn't even know to call it a bust) is cool etc. Some even have asked "Do you make all these?"

However, I will never sell any of my collectibles so maybe that is why ES is not important to me. When I was about 9 I decided I should grow up, so I sold some of my less favorite toys at a garage sale. I'm 32 now, and I can still remember everything I sold and I realize I will never sell any of my toys again. I don't know what I did with the money I earned but if I still had those toys I would know exactly where they are. I get very attached. They don't ask for money, they don't need to change diapers, and I don't have to feed and water them. If I had a dog I wouldn't sell him just because I could get 4 times what I paid.

I was at SF the other day and I noticed this was written by Chicky which gave me a little chuckle "the wider DC audience". She does know that Marvel out sells DC at least 2 to 1 right? :wink1:

From Chicky, a Sideshow rep:

Hi All,

Thank you for the thread. The Joker Ex edition size will be posting this week! Even though this item has opened up the collector base to a wider DC audience, not previously purchasing product from us, I think collectors will be pleased to see that the edition size is well in range with our other edition sizes.

Sideshow Collectibles tries to provide as much information as possible when each item is posted for pre-order. There are several factors that contribute to an edition size being posted as TBD when launched. Even though we try to make sure all items have an edition size, sometimes this is not possible.

Our Customer Service has always treated our customers concerns fairly and we usually give a courtesy 'one time' NRD refund to the client if they contact us in a timely manner about their concerns for such things as abnormally large edition sizes or significant delivery delays. However, our Customer Service reps find that many of the cancellations we do receive due to 'edition size' concerns are not received within a reasonable time of the announcement of the edition size but just prior to clients having to pay for the item.

Ultimately, we receive very few complaints, in comparison to the whole, about editions sizes that are set after launching with TBDs because our editions sizes are usually within an established range.

Our 30 day Return Policy also protects the clients against item damages, defects in addition it lets them exercise their right to inspect the item and just change their mind.

We appreciate all the collectors, regardless of where they make their purchases. The staff at Sideshow hopes that the item they choose will become part of their lifetime collection and bring back fond memories of the movie, comic book or character that inspired them!

My head hurts...

She posted that here too. Did she say wider than the Marvel audience? Or did she say having the DC license was widening the number of people buying from them (i.e., not previously purchasing product)?

I guessing she meant wider in terms of collectors who only collect PF's and thus were never able to buy their favorite DC characters through SSC.

My head hurts...

She posted that here too. Did she say wider than the Marvel audience? Or did she say having the DC license was widening the number of people buying from them (i.e., not previously purchasing product)?

I think she posted that mainly to justified the increase of the ES EX of the Joker PF. There is no way in hell that DC has a wider audience then Marvel ever.

What she said was, "Even though this item has opened up the collector base to a wider DC audience, not previously purchasing product from us, I think collectors will be pleased to see that the edition size is well in range with our other edition sizes."

And if you're using sales figures to determine the number of fans of either company, I don't think you're getting an accurate measure of things. There are elements of DC that are far more popular than the whole of Marvel comics.

That's what I was thinking, and he's significantly more of a pop culture icon as well. Same goes for Batman and Superman. Spider Man and Hulk have similar status, but I don't know that it's equvalent.

Either way, her point was pretty clear. There are Sideshow collectors who were buying Marvel. Now they're selling DC, and they've just expanded their customer base beyond what it was previously. There are people buying Marvel who will also buy DC. People who did not buy Marvel, but will buy DC, are now going to buy. The audience is has widened.

The only thing that DC has which is the most recognizable character is Batman. His ES will be at least 2000 for the EX PF then we should see quite a dip on the rest. But as a whole (if I was to score the company), Marvel a 10 & DC 7 in brand recognition.

That's what I was thinking, and he's significantly more of a pop culture icon as well. Same goes for Batman and Superman. Spider Man and Hulk have similar status, but I don't know that it's equvalent.

Either way, her point was pretty clear. There are Sideshow collectors who were buying Marvel. Now they're selling DC, and they've just expanded their customer base beyond what it was previously. There are people buying Marvel who will also buy DC. People who did not buy Marvel, but will buy DC, are now going to buy. The audience is has widened.

Exactly my thoughts as well. :goodpost:

It's tricky because there's no real way to tell, but history helps.

The only thing that DC has which is the most recognizable character is Batman. His ES will be at least 2000 for the EX PF then we should see quite a dip on the rest.

Superman? Wonder Woman?

VS1976 said:
But as a whole (if I was to score the company), Marvel a 10 & DC 7 in brand recognition.

How do you figure?

It's tricky because there's no real way to tell, but history helps.

Superman? Wonder Woman?

How do you figure?

Answer your first question "most" recognizable. Batman is #1 most recognizable character that DC has.

2nd question is merely my own opinion:D However based on sales at the movie box office, toys and comics out there, I know Marvel has the better license. :wink1:

Captain America, Iron Man and Wolverine are up there, but so are Flash, Green Lantern, Catwoman. It would be insane trying to decide which company was more popular though.

The only thing I'm going on is that DC had Superman and Batman solidly established before 1940 and Marvel didn't really come into its own until 1961.

2nd question is merely my own opinion:D However based on sales at the movie box office, toys and comics out there, I know Marvel is the better license. :wink1:

Very scientific.

Captain America, Iron Man and Wolverine are up there, but so are Flash, Green Lantern, Catwoman. It would be insane trying to decide which company was more popular though.

The only thing I'm going on is that DC had Superman and Batman solidly established before 1940 and Marvel didn't really come into its own until 1961.

Very scientific.

LOL pretty scientific :D :lol

How can you miss the Hulk & Spiderman. :sleep

Back