No Edition Size with NRD Doesn't Matter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cares two rat turds about Hot Toys edition sizes and they pull double, triple and quadruple retail prices.

Sideshow should just ditch releasing edition sizes all together.

Just sayin'.
... thank you ..... but most collectors wouldn't know what to do if SS removed a "drama factor" from the hobby .... :monkey1

... thank you ..... but most collectors wouldn't know what to do if SS removed a "drama factor" from the hobby .... :monkey1

I'd bet my entire collection that they'd just find something else to _____ about, like "Sideshow, I know I canceled my order but I think it's tacky you don't let me keep the Rewards Points!" :lol

If you can come up with a single scrap of evidence (I'll even accept a half scrap) that suggests that the issue of open edition size is relevant to the undisclosed ES on the Joker PF, I'll amend my certainty to a tentative, "Oh, wait, the edition size on this statue is 1250."

As for the rest, how many 1:2 scale Iron Man statues do you think they made? A non-collectible amount? You think that the statue is not rare because they put no limit on the production numbers? Why is a number scribbled on the base the litmus test of collectibility? That scratch of ink is not coterminus with low quantities.

Lack of a pre-set edition size does not equate to an unlimited number of statues. Your argument hinges on there being an infinite quantity of 1:2 Iron Mans. There aren't.

I'm sorry, how much do you make a year? Do you know how many starving children could be fed with one of your toy Lamborghinis?

You once again you conveniently sidestepped every point I made and answered them with more questions. I was never talking about the joker. What I pointed out if you read my previous post again was that your congratulating SS for "no ES with NRD", when some pieces have NO ES at all. These can not be called collectibles as they are not advertised as limited or numbered. The other point you dodged is why its acceptable for SS to charge $2000 for an item that will NEVER have a disclosed ES.

I dont see you congratulating SS for open edition sizes in your original post or in the title of this thread. Essentially, what im gathering from your responses is that you could care less if SS didnt put a singel ES on any of their products....you would still be happy to buy them at the prices they charge?

Legacies Neytiri has been up for PO for a while now at $1600. Yet their is still no ES on that piece in all this time. Your telling me if SS never disclosed an ES we should just PO anyway because their called "sideshow collectibles"? Where is the exclusivity in an investment like that?. Why would I buy something at $1600 if I knew their would be thousands more out there, which would in turn also effect resale value or appreciative value in the future?

The 1:2 Ironman is good example of this. SS is still selling them for 2k, yet theirs many in auction on ebay for well under the MSRP. This is considered a collectible to you?. If the 1:2 Ironman had an ES of 300-400 that thing would easily be selling well over the MSRP right now. So again my question is, why should we pay $2000 for an item with no ES?....wait I know, because Devilof76 said it was alright.

Also, dont try turning things around about what I spend on my collectibles vs starving children. Every member on this board or person living in the western world can be accused of buying things they dont need like collectibles despite their being starving children in this world. That is a very shallow and hypocritical remark. But to answer your question, I make enough a year to buy the toys I do and still donate more to charity as I do, than you will in a lifetime.

Chris

You once again you conveniently sidestepped every point I made and answered them with more questions. I was never talking about the joker. What I pointed out if you read my previous post again was that your congratulating SS for "no ES with NRD", when some pieces have NO ES at all. These can not be called collectibles as they are not advertised as limited or numbered. The other point you dodged is why its acceptable for SS to charge $2000 for an item that will NEVER have a disclosed ES.

I dont see you congratulating SS for open edition sizes in your original post or in the title of this thread. Essentially, what im gathering from your responses is that you could care less if SS didnt put a singel ES on any of their products....you would still be happy to buy them at the prices they charge?

Legacies Neytiri has been up for PO for a while now at $1600. Yet their is still no ES on that piece in all this time. Your telling me if SS never disclosed an ES we should just PO anyway because their called "sideshow collectibles"? Where is the exclusivity in an investment like that?. Why would I buy something at $1600 if I knew their would be thousands more out there, which would in turn also effect resale value or appreciative value in the future?

The 1:2 Ironman is good example of this. SS is still selling them for 2k, yet theirs many in auction on ebay for well under the MSRP. This is considered a collectible to you?. If the 1:2 Ironman had an ES of 300-400 that thing would easily be selling well over the MSRP right now. So again my question is, why should we pay $2000 for an item with no ES?....wait I know, because Devilof76 said it was alright.

Also, dont try turning things around about what I spend on my collectibles vs starving children. Every member on this board or person living in the western world can be accused of buying things they dont need like collectibles despite their being starving children in this world. That is a very shallow and hypocritical remark. But to answer your question, I make enough a year to buy the toys I do and still donate more to charity as I do, than you will in a lifetime.

Chris
While I do agree with part of what you're saying about exclusivity & the collectible nature of things, if you asked me to answer that underlined question I would tell you this:

Buy the item b/c you appreciate it for what it is, and do not buy it b/c you see it as an investment or the potential to make profit off of it via resale down the road.

I'd bet my entire collection that they'd just find something else to _____ about, like "Sideshow, I know I canceled my order but I think it's tacky you don't let me keep the Rewards Points!" :lol

:lol so true ... here's one for you ... and watch somebody run with it ..... "we should get points equivalent to the NRD when canceling since we spent the money, because Im just that entitled."

Atheris, Fuzzy and Filip seem to be the only people that can agree that edition sizes do matter on both of the statue message boards. The other people are in denial, this company is famous and has grown for that reason alone and yes low edition sizes are a big part as to why many people actually do spend the amount of money they do on this company. With the recent unveiling of the " Joker exclusive " edition size of 1,250, that number is nowhere " exclusive ". I am surprised they didn't make it 500 since the company is in love with that number.

I don't care how popular a character and whatever else these Sideshow lovers have to say, the people with a lot of money have made Sideshow what they are today, without these people this company wouldn't be as big. If you piss these people off then there will be consequences. I have many friends that own businesses and are extremely wealthy, they throw money out like it's nothing and many of them no longer support Sideshow after getting countless damaged items and statues with paintjobs done by what could have been five year old children.

For the people that say " LOL I buy a statue for what it is, not for the edition size ", well all I can say is this is a limited collectible hobby for a reason, the exclusivity makes it. As to what Atheris was saying, I look forward to seeing what Sideshow is going to do with the Legendary Scale line. In my opinion, for Sideshow's best interest they should have each character in this line have a maximum of 200-300 pieces made while having the prices to be around $1,500 - 2,000. If they make it open or have edition sizes for each to be 500 or more they are making a big mistake and I don't see the company recovering the amount of money they spent into this line. However I don't see Sideshow doing this, I expect each one to have an open edition and if that happens I definitely won't be buying any due to the risk of the quality being poor. I have not ordered the Iron Man and Neytiri statues for that reason.

Most people love having rare things that other people can't have, if it didn't matter then there wouldn't be anything worthwhile to collect.

:lol so true ... here's one for you ... and watch somebody run with it ..... "we should get points equivalent to the NRD when canceling since we spent the money, because Im just that entitled."

I would have at least 50 points by now! :lol I'm actually rather amazed that Sideshow would even consider offering a refund on the NRD. I knew what I was doing when I accepted the terms and if circumstances change and I have to eat that NRD, so be it.

While I do agree with part of what you're saying about exclusivity & the collectible nature of things, if you asked me to answer that underlined question I would tell you this:

Buy the item b/c you appreciate it for what it is, and do not buy it b/c you see it as an investment or the potential to make profit off of it via resale down the road.

I believe they go hand in hand. You shouldn't have to pay an absurd amount of money for a collectible while knowing theirs potential to lose more than half your investment right after you buy it. Multiply that over the many collectibles people have in their collections....then talk to me about wasted money while theirs starving children in the world.

Chris

ES isn't nearly as big of a deal as consumer demand.
One of SS's original grails the Balrog had a decent ES of 1000 and still pulled in around $3k in its heyday....
... the just plain dumb part is when the ES is what fuels the demand rather than the piece itself ... :monkey1

I believe they go hand in hand. You shouldn't have to pay an absurd amount of money for a collectible while knowing theirs potential to lose more than half your investment right after you buy it. Multiply that over the many collectibles people have in their collections....then talk to me about wasted money while theirs starving children in the world.
Chris
I never made any comments about starving children :dunno

I buy a piece because I like something. Sure it having a low ES or getting a low # is nice if I ever have to sell it but the ES is not a major factor in when I buy something. Some of my favorite pieces from the SSW LOTR line were open edition pieces while some of my other favorite pieces had strict low ES. Thats how I approach collecting.

As far as having a NRD at the time we PO something. I prefer to see one when a NRD is asked for but I'm not gonna go an demand it. SS knows better than I do by a country mile what works for them and how they do things. I trust that.

One of SS's original grails the Balrog had a decent ES of 1000 and still pulled in around $3k in its heyday....
... the just plain dumb part is when the ES is what fuels the demand rather than the piece itself ... :monkey1

1,000 for a huge character isn't bad at all, look at the Hulk PF. Statues made with great quality back in the day, you can't say that anymore.

Heck I can remember the Balrog hitting 4-5k for that piece or the RWOS hitting 1k with an ES of 5k.

Collecting to me is about the piece and the emotional attachment to the subject it represents. Not the ES.

Heck I can remember the Balrog hitting 4-5k for that piece or the RWOS hitting 1k with an ES of 5k.

Collecting to me is about the piece and the emotional attachment to the subject it represents. Not the ES.

exactly ..... :goodpost: ...... :monkey1

Yes but Josh the amount of work they put into the statues back then were not as big as they do now. The quality of those back then were much different then the products this company produces now.

Yes but Josh the amount of work they put into the statues back then were not as big as they do now. The quality of those back then were much different then the products this company produces now.

The items I get now impress me as much as they did when I started collecting stuff from Sideshow in 2003.

I do have to admit it does sting when you buy something at retail and then see the price on it drop drastically on the secondary market. It would sting even more so if you bought something in the $1,000's.

When I was new to Sideshow and collecting, I bought the Gothmog on Warg piece through Sideshow at retail - and I ordered over the phone so I didn't even get rewards points. :( Two weeks later I realized it was going for less than 1/2 retail on eBay. It was a bit disappointing. I liked the piece, which is why I wanted it in my collection - but felt like I had just thrown a couple hundred out the window.

if you're suggesting more work was putting into the sculpting/painting in the past than currently is now, then you're just not very educated about their sculptors and artists. Feel free to visit their sites and galleries when you have some spare time ....

FFS...

You once again you conveniently sidestepped every point I made and answered them with more questions. I was never talking about the joker.

And this thread was never about open edition size. At all. Not remotely.

Atheris said:
What I pointed out if you read my previous post again was that your congratulating SS for "no ES with NRD", when some pieces have NO ES at all.

And that was hell on the knickers, wasn't it? See if they can handle this twist: the pieces with temporarily undisclosed ES are not unlimited, in theory or practice. TBD means that there will be an edition size, and it will be announced.

Atheris said:
These can not be called collectibles as they are not advertised as limited or numbered. The other point you dodged is why its acceptable for SS to charge $2000 for an item that will NEVER have a disclosed ES.

I didn't, actually. That was the entire point of my post. No matter how unlimited the $2000 Iron Man decoration is advertised as, there is always going to be a discrete number of pieces in existence. What will that number be? I don't know. Go count them if it's so important to you. I'll bet the lint in my pocket that there are not very many.

Atheris said:
I dont see you congratulating SS for open edition sizes in your original post or in the title of this thread.

That's because I wasn't.

Atheris said:
Essentially, what im gathering from your responses is that you could care less if SS didnt put a singel ES on any of their products....you would still be happy to buy them at the prices they charge.

Then perhaps you should polish your deductive logic up a bit because not only did I state explicitly that it mattered, I also have said nothing from which it can be inferred that I believe edition size was unimportant. I'm sorry you had to write so much based on that false assumption, but if you had paid more attention, and not allowed your indignation to post for you, you could have avoided that.

Atheris said:
The 1:2 Ironman is good example of this.

Really? There are thousands of them?

Atheris said:
SS is still selling them for 2k, yet theirs many in auction on ebay for well under the MSRP.

Did you buy an Iron Man for retail? Did you know it was an open edition? Does it sell below retail because it's not rare, or are there simply not that many people interested in buying such an expensive decoration, rendering the demand too low for it to fetch prices worth selling at in the secondary market?

Atheris said:
This is considered a collectible to you?. If the 1:2 Ironman had an ES of 300-400 that thing would easily be selling well over the MSRP right now.

How do you know it doesn't? Because in a rotten economy, people aren't willing to pay over MSRP if they don't have to?

Atheris said:
So again my question is, why should we pay $2000 for an item with no ES?....wait I know, because Devilof76 said it was alright.

Don't be petty. Why did you pay $2000 for it? You knew the situation, did you not?

Atheris said:
Also, dont try turning things around about what I spend on my collectibles vs starving children.

I didn't. You blamed Sideshow for being motivated by greed. What are you motivated by in pursuing that salary you can't help but brag about? Selflessness?

Atheris said:
Every member on this board or person living in the western world can be accused of buying things they dont need like collectibles despite their being starving children in this world. That is a very shallow and hypocritical remark.

It's not, but I can see why you were confused. You think that you are not motivated by selfishness (er, greed). And if you are not, explain why you don't donate everything beyond the bare necessities to charity.

Atheris said:
But to answer your question, I make enough a year to buy the toys I do and still donate more to charity as I do, than you will in a lifetime.

Chris

What does your vanity have to do with anything? I almost care how much you make, but it does go to support my argument regarding your hypocrisy in calling Sidshow greedy. Are you collecting to resell, to boast, or to appreciste the art you purchase? If it's the first, why do you need the money? How much is enough for you? Is Sideshow's greed interferring with your own? Why do you have a right to be while they do not?

:dunno

Back