No Edition Size with NRD Doesn't Matter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that's a sample size of 1. There were 1,700 Wolverine PFs and the paint work was stellar. Edition size is not the cause.

Can you take a guess as to what the huge difference is between the Wolverine statues and the Spider-Man statues?

Yes, Wolverine's paint job requires much more nuance and detail b/c he uses flesh tones.

Bad management and/or a bad factory is the culprit there. Not edition size.

I'd imagine a lower ED size would have tighter QC control since they'd only be selling such a low # of units. :dunno
I don't follow the logic. Why would lower numbers of units necessitate tighter QC control? Again, it isn't like factories work on a single statue, and then take the rest of the week off once it's finished, so lower edition sizes mean more focused attention by the workers and managers.

So you guys would be satisfied with putting down $100 and then finding out that Sideshow is going to make 10,000 of them which means that most of them will be of craptastic quality?

You know, this was one of the reasons I laughed when people started to freak out. What on Earth makes you think they're going to inflate the edition size?

Avenger said:
No wonder Sideshow is still in business.

This smug BS is the other reason.

Wasn't the same kind of laugh though.

picture.php

I was gonna post about that being a straw man kind of argument, but I guess the argument would still hold if you're talking about 2-3,000 runs (which Sideshow does have from time to time) vs. 100ish (which we get with some of the really obscure stuff and wacky variants like Negative Zone Spidey PF).

But I still don't see why things would be different. Yes, Sideshow could focus more attention on lower quantity items if that was all they needed to focus their attention on. But they're probably gonna have multiple statues in production at a given time. And they surely aren't all gonna have 100 edition sizes no matter what. So, say they've got a 100 edition size dinosaur, a 500 edition size Master of Kung Fu diorama, and a 2,000 edition size Joker at once. They've got 2,600 statues to focus on, and for factories to work on. I don't see why the statue with the lower ed. size warrants more focused attention.

Proof is in the pudding, though. Go through every Sideshow piece that had QC issues and those that didn't, list edition sizes, and see if there is a correlation. Then I might buy that argument.

I think customers should be able to pre-order 400 dollar statues on a whim then cancel as they wish. Who cares if this skews production numbers and results in hundreds of pallets worth of unpurchased polystone busts, statues and premium format figures sitting in SS's warehouse for the next few years? They can just put them on the gift card list or use them for free give aways during Spook. :dunno

I think customers should be able to pre-order 400 dollar statues on a whim then cancel as they wish. Who cares if this skews production numbers and results in hundreds of pallets worth of unpurchased polystone busts, statues and premium format figures sitting in SS's warehouse for the next few years? They can just put them on the gift card list or use them for free give aways during Spook. :dunno
That's a good point. I didn't think of that!

Fair enough. With a character like the Joker and this being the 1st DC release for SSC I guess I'm anticipating a much higher ED :dunno

Yeah, edition sizes should be pretty damn high with Joker. But they were gonna try to meet demand with that one way or another. Even if the TBD/NRD issue wasn't there, the edition size would probably be 2000+ IMO. So, if that really does mean worse QC, then I don't think it was avoidable due to that.

In any case, order from Sideshow to minimize the chance of tears on that front. I had to return my first Spidey Comi, but the replacement was pretty good and now I'm happy with it.

I'd imagine a lower ED size would have tighter QC control since they'd only be selling such a low # of units. :dunno

Don't sideshow have a 30 day guarantee on their products? Also I received a damaged statue from them (Ms Marvel EX) and they replaced it at no cost to me and I am in Australia.

So if you order the item and are worried about QC then once you get your item you still have options. If they had no returns policy and your main concern was QC then I can see that you may purchase based on edition size but certainly there are options post purchase if the item doesn't meet your standard.

NRD makes sense. Having thousands of dollars of goods in a warehouse that you can't move at proper margin or have to discount or give away is not good for business. It may have worked in different economic times but I can see why a company would change its policy now.

I use Ultron as an example. If there was no NRD then many people would have ordered this item speculating that he may be a villain in a future film or that if there are no other orders in that period they would have the funds to buy it. Then SS thinks "crap our collectors want more light up Avengers villains at $350".

I read on forums a lot of collectors passed waiting for news of the Joker as they did not want to miss out on the option to purchase him. This is great. This lets SS know that a large part of the community is not willing to pay the ask for a light up avengers villain but is willing to pay for a DC line. Now SS can look at their release strategy without taking a massive hit to their pocket.

Anyway that's how I see NRD working for them and again I think it is cool. As for ES I didn't get into this hobby to be part of an exclusive club but can respect that some people do like knowing their item is limited in number. I think those collectors will still have an opportunity to pick up low ES items in the future, they may just have to wait.

The real people that suffer seem to be the flippers and speculators and as I am more in support of the genuine collector I am glad the company has made these changes.

The TBD and NRD have both led to me giving SS less and less of my money; no it doesn't matter but it has changed things.

:lecture

I won't fork out for a NRD if there is the possibility of something being only vaguely collectible.

I won't fork out for a NRD if there is the possibility of something being only vaguely collectible.

Why are you buying them then, To flip? Does the way the piece looks on your shelf not come first?

I think there are 2 types of collectors

1) The collector who wants the piece no matter what and buys it
because he/her likes it and wants in there collection to look at
and every time they see it, It brings a sense of pleasure that
they own it.

2) The collector who sits on the fence before ordering wondering how
much the piece will be worth in 6 mths and is it worth pulling the
trigger on it, This buyer walks past there shelf everyday wondering
if the price has gone up on there piece or if they have lost money
and when they look at the piece they see $$$ signs at not how
great it looks. They like it of course but the money side edges it.

Both are collectors but for different reasons :dunno

Every collector likes there pieces to go up in value who wouldn't but when you don't buy a piece you like because it might not be collectable enough or go up in value enough you have got to start to question yourself are you in the right game. :peace

Last edited:
Back