Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Indiana Jones 5 (July 19th, 2019)

Yeah, I do agree that "old Han" is more feasible as an on screen character than "old Indy" since Han typically just sits in a cockpit seat or just shoots people. The rathtar sequence seemed to be about the limit of what he could do physically and not have his age be distracting. Indy doesn't always have to swing on ropes, run all around, and punch people left and right but then that's also a trade-off because those actions have been so synonymous with the character for so long.

He could walk around and just wave his umbrella at seagulls like his dad but again, I don't know if there'd be much point. I do think the age jokes are eye rolling but I guess at the same time I'm just content with having the first three films as my go to Indy saga and nothing more.

Maybe he'll actually be a real Archaeologist in this one; measuring the distance between post-holes in the ground, cataloguing small stones, pulling random theories out of his ass about what a mound of earth was used for, pandering to other archaeologists with overlong, ridiculously worded theses.

KOTCS is a solid enough movie up until Shia shows up. Other than the stupid prairie dogs (that Spielberg cuts to like 50 times :gah:) the first part is pretty entertaining.

Though what's with the weird synchronization of all the Russian soldier movements? I don't remember any of the other three films doing that. Like at the beginning when the street racers pass the convoy and the three soldiers all lean into frame at the exact same speed, or when Indy is pulled from the trunk and thrown to the ground and there's that shot of all the soldiers closing in in a perfectly choreographed little circle. There's another moment in the warehouse too. It's just weird how distractingly staged their motions are and it always takes me out of the movie.

Last edited:

The Fridge is one of the best parts of KOTCS. I love that whole Nuke Town sequence and that zany escape. It fits right in with the Raft Parachute in TOD, which I also love.

I don't like the prairie dogs, CGI Monkeys, ormega-ants, though. But the fridge nuking gets WAY too much hate from online goobers.

The nuke was fine, but him to walk out of it unscathed was comical. Although, I know some folks assume it was due to him drinking from the grail.

The Fridge is one of the best parts of KOTCS. I love that whole Nuke Town sequence and that zany escape. It fits right in with the Raft Parachute in TOD, which I also love.

I don't like the prairie dogs, CGI Monkeys, ormega-ants, though. But the fridge nuking gets WAY too much hate from online goobers.

I don't mind the fridge per se, but I do think it was an awkward chain of events that got him to nuke town. He starts at area 51 warehouse, takes a rocket to the middle of the desert, then walks to nuke town. All the other stuff is silly too, but just in the spirit of "cartoon" Indy.

Maybe he'll actually be a real Archaeologist in this one; measuring the distance between post-holes in the ground, cataloguing small stones, pulling random theories out of his ass about what a mound of earth was used for, pandering to other archaeologists with overlong, ridiculously worded theses.

I honestly wouldn't mind that at all. I'm sure there is a compelling story to be told with the process and politics of archaeology. If you can make a compelling story about baseball statistics (or any other kind of drama), I'm sure you can make a compelling story about straightforward archaeology.

KOTCS is a solid enough movie up until Shia shows up. Other than the stupid prairie dogs (that Spielberg cuts to like 50 times :gah:) the first part is pretty entertaining.

Though what's with the weird synchronization of all the Russian soldier movements? I don't remember any of the other three films doing that. Like at the beginning when the street racers pass the convoy and the three soldiers all lean into frame at the exact same speed, or when Indy pulled from the trunk and thrown to the ground and there's that shot of all the soldiers closing in in a perfectly choreographed little circle. There's another moment in the warehouse too. It's just weird how distractingly staged their motions are and it always takes me out of the movie.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Just Spielberg being Spielberg to the nth degree, overly stylizing the action.

The nuke was fine, but him to walk out of it unscathed was comical. Although, I know some folks assume it was due to him drinking from the grail.

I might not mind if they actually address it as a real point. Maybe not the focus of the story, but give it a good chunk of exposition and not just a throwaway line.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458145555.150122.jpg

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm curious to see what they do with the character. On the other hand, they should have just left well enough alone.

All old jokes aside, let's be realistic. We all want another Raiders or ToD: dirty, gritty, physical. That was taxing on Harrison back then. There's no way he can do that now. I don't want movies that keep reminding me of how far the Indy franchise has fallen. I'm afraid they are going to "play it safe" and we'll have another TLC -- a toned down version of Raiders. I was fine with the aliens in KOTCS. It was just poorly written and poorly acted.

Personally, I'd love to see Indy during the War. It was mentioned in KOTCS, but never expanded on.

Obviously it doesn't matter now but I couldn't help but feel that TFA was kind of a perfect send off for both Han Solo AND Indiana Jones. They even kind of combined the two characters for one last hurrah. Other than Lando we'd never seen Han punch a guy before TFA and of course there was his big Professor Jones speech about the Force and so on. I kind of wish they just left it at that.

Actually, the whole Shangri la thing could tie in well with current events, having the movie set near Pakistan and China would offer some potential new villains, and could lead Indy to reteam with a griwn up short round. though in today's market, having A Chinese person be the villain is probably a no-no, as it is sure to anger a huge market.

Are you guys acting like Indy is immortal because he drank from the Grail? He isn't. TLC stated that the power of the Grail only went so far as the Seal. Otherwise Indy would never have aged, Henry Sr. (who also drank from the Grail) wouldn't have died, etc.

I'm not nearly as concerned about Ford's age as most of you are. In fact, the only element of this film that is ultimately key to its success is the script.

It would be awesome if they pulled Kasdan back on board for this.

I just hope there are no "old man" references. In the last film, Indy didn't even have a name, they just called him "old man." Plus from the very beginning they were alluding to his age, which was so annoying, like we get it, he's old but there are other ways to show that in a more subtle way without spoon feeding it to the audience. Rambo 4 did it much better, by not making it obvious that Rambo was in his 60's. No one had to call him old man and he didn't have to make comments about his age...he was just older, a little bit slower, and no longer doing everything by himself like in the previous films.

I just hope there are no "old man" references. In the last film, Indy didn't even have a name, they just called him "old man." Plus from the very beginning they were alluding to his age, which was so annoying, like we get it, he's old but there are other ways to show that in a more subtle way without spoon feeding it to the audience. Rambo 4 did it much better, by not making it it obvious that Rambo was in his 60's. No one had to call him old man and he didn't have to make comments about his age...he was just older, a little bit slower, and no longer doing everything by himself like in the previous films.

It would almost be silly to do that to Rambo in that film, considering Stallone was probably the largest he's ever been. :lol

I love when he guts that **** bag at the end.

I just hope there are no "old man" references. In the last film, Indy didn't even have a name, they just called him "old man." Plus from the very beginning they were alluding to his age, which was so annoying, like we get it, he's old but there are other ways to show that in a more subtle way without spoon feeding it to the audience. Rambo 4 did it much better, by not making it obvious that Rambo was in his 60's. No one had to call him old man and he didn't have to make comments about his age...he was just older, a little bit slower, and no longer doing everything by himself like in the previous films.

"It's not the mileage, honey... it's the years." (Wink at camera)

:monkey3

I just hope there are no "old man" references.

Yeah I liked how in TFA there really weren't any direct acknowledgements to his age other than Rey having to remind him of the hyperdrive compressor before they took off. Otherwise you saw that he had grey hair and clearly a lot of past history and that was it.

Even the compressor thing could be attributed to the fact that he was just so familiar with the workings of the Falcon on account of having flown it for so many years that any little update might have even thrown off a younger Han.

Gonna just be a remake of Raiders prolly.

It would be awesome if they pulled Kasdan back on board for this.

It would require Kasdan to make it a "Raiders" nostalgia fest.

I'm a bit on the fence about that notion: part of me knows no sequel will ever be good enough, especially given Ford's age... so why not just do a 'Raiders" birthday party re-do in the same way that TFA was a nostalgic nod to ANH.

And yes, that would be Last Crusade... but that was like 30 years ago, man. :lol

TLC was a Raiders retread just like ROTJ was an ANH retread. Then TFA came out decades later and did it all over again. So why not do it again with Indy? I guess we'll get to see what those Argentinian Nazis were up to in the 60's. :lol

I can't see this turning out well.
They should at least try to bring Sallah back.
The Atlantis plot might be the best bet, maybe if he were in charge of a younger team as an advisor like Alan Grant or something...
Fords phone it in facial mannerism acting has lost its charm.

Actually, the whole Shangri la thing could tie in well with current events, having the movie set near Pakistan and China would offer some potential new villains, and could lead Indy to reteam with a griwn up short round. though in today's market, having A Chinese person be the villain is probably a no-no, as it is sure to anger a huge market.

The villain wouldn't have to be Chinese, just a cultural outsider and false believer like every other Indy flick. Perhaps a younger rival jerk archeologist who is attempting to replace Indy within academia. He could be played by Chris Pratt or Bradley Cooper. ;) A villain like that and the subject matter could tie into what people are already talking about with this film, aging and legacy torch passing, and shoot both notions down in fun ways, allowing Harry to do this thing and show us one more time why he IS Indy. The surprise return of adult Short Round as sidekick would be a great moment.

Last edited:
Back