Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Indiana Jones 5 (July 19th, 2019)

Guess we should play guess the Macguffin.

I'm going with Fountain of Youth, given age is likely to be part of the story.

Then again, story whose search is centered around Florida sounds pretty uninteresting.

I liked the Spear of Longhinus idea Johnny Utah mentioned.

Hopefully they kill his character off in this one too. :slap

Fountain of Youth. Tree of Life. Atlantis. Spear of Destiny. It's all good. I think a more familiar MacGuffin is in order after the obscure Crystal Skulls were used.

According to Facebook I watched all four Indy movies in a row on this day two years ago. That was before our son was born. I think I've only seen ToD and KotCS one time each since then.

Fountain of Youth. Tree of Life. Atlantis. Spear of Destiny. It's all good. I think a more familiar MacGuffin is in order after the obscure Crystal Skulls were used.

According to Facebook I watched all four Indy movies in a row on this day two years ago. That was before our son was born. I think I've only seen ToD and KotCS one time each since then.

Especially since the Crystal Skulls were a hoax/fabrication

Guess we should play guess the Macguffin.

I'm going with Fountain of Youth, given age is likely to be part of the story.

Then again, story whose search is centered around Florida sounds pretty uninteresting.

I liked the Spear of Longhinus idea Johnny Utah mentioned.

Those have all been mentioned before, but I'm goons go out of a limb and suggest something totally different...

The impetus for ALL of the Indy films so far has been that each one plays within the pulp B-movies of the time in which they're set. For the first 3, it was the Action Serials of the 30s. For KOTCS (set in 1957) it was Cold War Sci-Fi B-movies (and it touched on all of those tropes). This one will be set in the mid-late 60s. Many genre B-movies of that time were goofy James Bond spy rip-offs. I can't see them going there for several reasons, so my out of left field total guess is...

60's Hammer Horror

You may recall one of the ideas Lucas has back in the day (after RAIDERS) was Indy in a Haunted House/Haunted Castle. But Spielberg didn't want to do that right after Poltergeist so that was changed to the Thugee/India stuff, which played well within the 30's pulp serial setup. The Bavarian castle scene in LAST CRUSADE (where Henry Sr. was held captive) was actually an inside homage to the Indy in a castle idea. But I'm wondering if a kernel of the idea of setting an Indy movie within a pulp gothic horror setting might still be there. If done right, I think they could pull it off.

It would be totally unexpected by most and seem weird at first, but frankly that's one of the things I like about it. Which means it properly won't happen. :lol

I'm sure they could pull it off.

Let's hope they just stay away from aliens/trans-dimensional beings and overuse of CGI. Ford was fine in the movie, but his co-stars (not including Blanchett), not so much. What a waste of Hurt, and Black seemed to be on medication the whole movie, I won't even elaborate on Lebouf.

I want to see Indy underwater. Would have preferred those old copper diving bells if this was the 30's, but if it truly is the 60's then Cousteau aqualung I guess.

Diving for treasure is a classic for Indy. Lost City of Atlantis and all that. Plus, given his age, the slow swimming works in his favor.

That said, I don't feel the world needs this sequel.

I'm sure they could pull it off.

Let's hope they just stay away from aliens/trans-dimensional beings and overuse of CGI. Ford was fine in the movie, but his co-stars (not including Blanchett), not so much. What a waste of Hurt, and Black seemed to be on medication the whole movie, I won't even elaborate on Lebouf.

From what I recall, that was a stipulation of GL if the movie was to get made. Spielberg and Ford finally gave in just to get the franchise back on the map despite neither being interested in "aliens."

I would totally go for a Hammer horror type Indy movie. Won't happen in a million years, though :lol

Raiders re-dux. 100% nostalgia-fest, with callbacks and references galore.

I want to see Indy underwater. Would have preferred those old copper diving bells if this was the 30's, but if it truly is the 60's then Cousteau aqualung I guess.

Diving for treasure is a classic for Indy. Lost City of Atlantis and all that. Plus, given his age, the slow swimming works in his favor.

Atlantis is a good logical step, I'd be down for that.

Hammer Horror sounds like a great idea. I agree it probably wouldn't happen. What would the MacGuffin be in a Dracula style movie anyways?

From what I recall, that was a stipulation of GL if the movie was to get made. Spielberg and Ford finally gave in just to get the franchise back on the map despite neither being interested in "aliens."

Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of giving in to George in the production of that movie.

Hammer Horror sounds like a great idea. I agree it probably wouldn't happen. What would the MacGuffin be in a Dracula style movie anyways?

Heath Ledger's ghost balls.

tumblr_inline_n24dq6zssY1saia1f.gif

Aliens made perfect sense for the era it was set in. So did nukes!

Aliens made perfect sense for the era it was set in. So did nukes!

I don't have a problem with aliens. I would have preferred they left out the "interdimensional" nonsense that (again, from what I remember) Spielberg suggested because he didn't want top make another "alien" movie. I don't have a problem with the nuke, the fridge or even most of The Beef's performance. My only issue with TCS is that it feel like Indy is just running around holding the Skull up for the second half like he got a cheat code.

The monkey thing didn't really happen. I don't think that really happened.

The monkey scene really was the worst thing in the movie IMO. But then, Jurassic World was basically that scene expanded to 2+ hours and it made about 20 billion dollars.

The monkey scene really was the worst thing in the movie IMO. But then, Jurassic World was basically that scene expanded to 2+ hours and it made about 20 billion dollars.

Worst than the fridge, or the cgi jungle sequence, or the giant man eating ants, or the aliens, or the constant lack of danger? I don't know.

Back