Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Indiana Jones 5 (July 19th, 2019)

I don't know.
CtriGo0.gif

Aliens made perfect sense for the era it was set in. So did nukes!

In terms of the era, but not in terms of the style of the films. Indiana Jones was always about archeological artefacts, that's why so many people (me included) don't like that aspect of KotCS.

Having nukes in the movie was fine, the problem is is that they let him survive it by climbing in a fridge. :lol

Having nukes in the movie was fine, the problem is is that they let him survive it by climbing in a fridge. :lol

Once the character survives a nuke in the first 10 minutes of the film, all sense of danger is lost. Not once did I feel like they were in danger or that there was anything at stake. It was like watching people on a Disney ride. :lol

I think KOTCS was very much the sequel to Last Crusade, which IMO was also a "cartoon" version of Indy. I'm not saying Raiders was realistic but it had an edge. TOD is a bit more fantastical but gets pretty grim and there are stakes. By the time you get to TLC we've got trains and lions and boats and tanks and miracles and bird attacks. And I love all that ****. But it's not like we went from zero to sixty in tone between TLC and KOTCS.

So they're going to have to set this in the early 60's or late 50's now right? Unless they make Ford a bookend type of thing and have Pratt being Indy for the majority of the movie. If they keep Ford as the primary Indy, maybe doing something with the Kennedy Assassination/Cuba Missile Crisis might be fun. :dunno

The original trilogy was based on those old 30's serial adventures and KotCS was the 50's sci-fi/Russian invasion cold war type of story. So I'm not sure what their inspiration would be now if they don't try more cold war stuff.

So they're going to have to set this in the early 60's or late 50's now right? Unless they make Ford a bookend type of thing and have Pratt being Indy for the majority of the movie. If they keep Ford as the primary Indy, maybe doing something with the Kennedy Assassination/Cuba Missile Crisis might be fun. :dunno

The original trilogy was based on those old 30's serial adventures and KotCS was the 50's sci-fi/Russian invasion cold war type of story. So I'm not sure what their inspiration would be now if they don't try more cold war stuff.

Maybe Indy will join The Beetles.

I bet LaBeouf will be in the Ark, jumps out and kills his dad. Then Marion will 'rage' for 3 seconds and then off on her way.

I want to see a Lost Horizon Shangri-la story about the beyuls. [url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyul [/URL]. It ticks all the Mcguffin boxes and ties into an aging/final adventure personal Indy storyline (which is all some people seem to be focused on anyway). I think tying it directly into a 60s event/conflict would be a mistake, make it more stand alone like ToD. Plus it would have him fighting in the snow. I like grumpy cold Ford.

Last edited:

have you guys watched the "Raiders of the Lost Skull" fanedit?

It is an impressive work by editor "njvc", somehow I really like that movie now.

I always watch that edited version... brilliant.

I’m glad to be getting a new movie because I love the character, but I am concerned that Ford is much too old to play the same part again. I actually did enjoy Crystal Skull—like 12BarBlues said, I feel it’s the same "cartoon" tone as LC. I’ve said it many times before that LC is the one movie that truly broke my heart, more so than the Phantom Menace. So because I had come to terms with that style of lighthearted Indy, I was able to enjoy CS all the more.

However, I do recognize how aged HF was in CS to play a character that runs around, climbing, swinging, leaping from vehicles, fist fighting with men half his age, etc. Even in TFA he didn’t seem that inappropriate. There was just some minor running and a lot of shooting.

I think Spielberg and Co will need to really push their creativity to have the character not feel so fantastical by having him do the same things he was doing when he was half his age. Whether that means the character is more cerebral in his beating his opponents (outthinking, using his wits more than his brawn), or he plays a more mentor type role like in TFA or just book-ends a younger version of himself, I don’t know. I also don’t know how the character would work in the 1960s where it’s getting a little too “modern” for such an old-fashioned guy. Part of the appeal of Raiders was being transported back to such a simpler time where the character had to rely on just a whip and a gun and his two fists, where transportation was more challenging and communication much more limited. If they go the book-end route, I hope it’s pre-Raiders so the time period is even more primitive which would allow for more interesting challenges.

I truly hope Spielberg surprises us all with a great movie. And please, the more serious, gritty Raiders style too!

Yeah, I do agree that "old Han" is more feasible as an on screen character than "old Indy" since Han typically just sits in a cockpit seat or just shoots people. The rathtar sequence seemed to be about the limit of what he could do physically and not have his age be distracting. Indy doesn't always have to swing on ropes, run all around and punch people left and right but then that's also a trade-off because those actions have been so synonymous with the character for so long.

He could walk around and just wave his umbrella at seagulls like his dad but again, I don't know if there'd be much point. I do think the age jokes are eye rolling but I guess at the same time I'm just content with having the first three films as my go to Indy saga and nothing more.

The Fridge is one of the best parts of KOTCS. I love that whole Nuke Town sequence and that zany escape. It fits right in with the Raft Parachute in TOD, which I also love.

I don't like the prairie dogs, CGI Monkeys, ormega-ants, though. But the fridge nuking gets WAY too much hate from online goobers.

Back