Hot Toys - Prey: Feral Predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
behind-the-scenes-of-prey-v0-l9ka73at8jg91.jpg

hasbro-potato.gif

toy story ham GIF

Just look at that atrocity. Those responsible really ought to be flogged.
As much as I really enjoyed the film, I still can't forgive them for this. Ignoring the (laughably bad) face design, the quality of the suit reminds me of a cheap Halloween mask. It was that bad that they had to CGI the face during the unmasking scene.

The 1980s and its embarrassing fetish for body building posers...

giphy.gif

Some of those films are tough to watch now, especially the likes of Cobra.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I was actually listening to an interesting take on this topic from Russel Brand and The Critical Drinker last night where they described how the movies and leading men from America’s blockbuster movies symbolised how the country wanted to portray itself to the world.

70s- the era of the intriguing character actors.
The hefty, overt masculinity of the 80s showing the full scale of American confidence and power.
90s started showing a little more vulnerability from leads moving into the earnest, ‘oopsie, did I do that?’ nature of Sandler in portraying an America trying it’s best in the wake of entering the Middle East on a premise of falsehoods.
The 2000s being reflective or the war on terror- going all out with spy thrillers, military stuff etc. serious people doing serious work to protect the homeland-
And today we have no actual movie stars anymore; just actors playing popular characters, and an America at conflict with its own identity, with no idea who or what it stands for other than an insatiable desire to push itself as an ethical pillar of moral superiority, and using (/destroying) beloved IPs in order to convey that message.
The character arc and hero’s journey have been destroyed and replaced by innately awesome, faultless ‘strong’ leads who no longer face adversity, struggle with their failures and inadequacies, or rise to meet challenges but just have to make the world bow to them in acknowledgment of the greatness that was inside them all along.

As much as I really enjoyed the film, I still can't forgive them for this. Ignoring the (laughably bad) face design, the quality of the suit reminds me of a cheap Halloween mask. It was that bad that they had to CGI the face during the unmasking scene.
Yeah I agree. The film itself was solid but this is a really bad Predator design. As you say, not only hideous but the suit looks cheap.

Yeah I agree. The film itself was solid but this is a really bad Predator design. As you say, not only hideous but the suit looks cheap.
I fear the Predator design only gets worse in the future Predator films. The character is now so far removed from what Stan Winston created in '87. Predator in name only.

I fear the Predator design only gets worse in the future Predator films. The character is now so far removed from what Stan Winston created in '87. Predator in name only.
They've never been able to match Stan's work. Never been able to get the mandibles to work as well as Stan did.
And now, film makers seem to be obsessed with messing around with the design.
The hideous "Super Predators", the CGI mess from The Predator and now this horrid mutant from Prey.
It's such a departure from Stan Winston's Predator.
You're right it's Predator in name only.
Like this mutant thing in Prey only shares a common ancestor with Stan Winston's classic Preds. They diverged a couple million years or so ago and now barely resemble each other.
I imagine if it's the same people making the next one that made Prey, we'll be getting another weird mutant.
And even if they used a classic Pred, no one seems to be able replicate the quality of Stan's work.

They've never been able to match Stan's work. Never been able to get the mandibles to work as well as Stan did.
And now, film makers seem to be obsessed with messing around with the design.
The hideous "Super Predators", the CGI mess from The Predator and now this horrid mutant from Prey.
It's such a departure from Stan Winston's Predator.
You're right it's Predator in name only.
Like this mutant thing in Prey only shares a common ancestor with Stan Winston's classic Preds. They diverged a couple million years or so ago and now barely resemble each other.
I imagine if it's the same people making the next one that made Prey, we'll be getting another weird mutant.
And even if they used a classic Pred, no one seems to be able replicate the quality of Stan's work.
As a fan, it's so disappointing.

I'd forgotten about the CGI DNA injecting 'Predator' from The Predator. :yuck

Aaawwwww - I was gonna EXPLODE into this thread with EXTREME EXCITEMENT at the prospect of a HT Naru, but after reading this, it feels like a big damper.. Perhaps a 3P company can take it up, I reckon a good figure can be made.

Nevertheless a 1/6 Feral Predator is a musttttt since Prey is my favorite of the Pred series!!!
Yeah I'd say a third party Naru will be a lot more likely if HT actually makes the predator from the movie. Just have to hope it's one of the better companies making her and not the lower-tier ones.

Yeah I'd say a third party Naru will be a lot more likely if HT actually makes the predator from the movie. Just have to hope it's one of the better companies making her and not the lower-tier ones.

Agree, if HT makes only Feral Pred I can see a 3P jumping on the opportunity to make Naru to go along with it. Here’s to hoping!

If HT only do the predator from the movie ideally it becomes a shelf warmer and is heavily discounted before finally selling out. Then (and only then) InArt should swoop in and announce a top-of-the-line Naru to pair with it, satisfying all the customers HT failed to accommodate. :)

If HT only do the predator from the movie ideally it becomes a shelf warmer and is heavily discounted before finally selling out. Then (and only then) InArt should swoop in and announce a top-of-the-line Naru to pair with it, satisfying all the customers HT failed to accommodate. :)

An InArt Naru! :thud::love

We should all just appreciate in this day in age that we got a badass practical Pred suit rather than some CGI monstrosity

I think they CGI’d over the creatures face in 90% of the scenes it was shown.

I have not seen the film, but it doesn't look so bad in motion. It's horrible in stills.

Back