Hot Toys 1/6 The Suicide Squad King Shark

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need need NEED this guy, Rat Catcher, Harley and BLOODSPORT!

Such a fantastic movie.

I honestly thought he’d be just pointless background decoration with a couple gags, but i liked him, he was so cute!

Really surprised HT didn’t put him up this week to cash in on the hype. But I suppose they are waiting on to see how this one is received before committing. They still had a Joker and his goons from the first one they prototyped but never released so they probably are playing it more conservative this time. Sounds like most are really liking this one so I’d say King Shark and probably a Harley or two will happen. Hopefully they don’t pull a JL and give us most of the Squad and then make us wait half a decade to finish it off.

The problem is, and it's so often the case with Hot Toys because of their cost and time to market, I'd potentially consider King Shark but as a stand alone I'm not so interested.

I'd want a few more of the core characters from the end of the movie say. But as we know this will never happen.

Harley maybe.......she got about 8 figures from the last outing....

Last edited:
Curious to see if there are any announcements this week for any of them. If not...

I can see two Harley figures for sure, 50/50 on king shark but that's it from HT unfortunately. I think everyone else will be 3rd party.

Curious to see if there are any announcements this week for any of them. If not...
FarMilkyGallinule-size_restricted.gif

I said before that King Shark was destined to remain an unreleased prototype and some fragile types here began to clutch their pearls.
Now that because of the uptick in Covid no one went to see the film in theaters when they could stay healthy and watch it in their living rooms, the film is being declared a “box office disappointment.”
It fell way short of the studio’s projections.
An article from Collider today stated that based upon its current trajectory it won’t even make half of what the 2016 film earned.
To those who accused me of being a naysayer when I accurately predicted that this figure would never be released…I told you so!

I think that anyone, movie executives especially, who honestly expected this film to make near as much money as quickly as the first movie in these times of Covid needs their head examined.
We are in a new reality, one where the majority of a movie's box office won't be won (or can be projected) by its opening theatrical release weekend.

I myself, despite living in the UK and having had the movie in cinemas a week early and with no stay at home alternatives like HBO GO (not that I would use them - my TV is crap and I genuinely enjoy going to the cinema) still haven't gone to see the movie as I wanted to choose a time/day when it would be less busy - because of Covid. People's habits are going to change, lines for the first screening will thin out, people waiting for the 2nd 3rd, 5th, week of showing is going to be more common, and as new variants arise and new restrictions and precautions with them, people will remain somewhat trepidatious.

That said, the movie isn't doing horrifically it already has the highest box office return of any R rated film released since the pandemic and it is only really just getting started, the movie has great reviews by critics which will get more people excited to see it, who will then in turn tell more people to see it etc.

I myself expect this movie to have some legs in its release with a consistent return over a longer period of time.

Also I wouldn't say a 3.5 million difference from the studios' projections given the current state of global instability and ongoing major events/crises taking precedence, is that much of a disappointment.

Birds of Prey had a better opening weekend, and that was heralded as a flop. That said, WB didn't expect this to earn what the original did, and box office numbers aren't an accurate depiction of a modern film's success when it is simultaneously released via streaming.

Also I wouldn't say a 3.5 million difference from the studios' projections given the current state of global instability and ongoing major events/crises taking precedence, is that much of a disappointment.
I agree with you completely. But in the world of tweet length financial analysis and with all of the rest of the stupidity that goes on at WB it is what it is. The movie has been declared a “flop” and that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
I had two free tickets to a screening a whole week before it opened and it was my most anticipated movie of the year.
My wife and I decided to stay home and wait the extra week to watch it at home on HBO Max because we live in Florida and Florida and Covid…yeah…
If I myself skipped out on seeing my most anticipated movie on the big screen for free, a week early, as a big movie buff(not just a casual movie-goer)…that told me everything I needed to know about how the movie would do at the box office.

I said before that King Shark was destined to remain an unreleased prototype and some fragile types here began to clutch their pearls.
Now that because of the uptick in Covid no one went to see the film in theaters when they could stay healthy and watch it in their living rooms, the film is being declared a “box office disappointment.”
It fell way short of the studio’s projections.
An article from Collider today stated that based upon its current trajectory it won’t even make half of what the 2016 film earned.
To those who accused me of being a naysayer when I accurately predicted that this figure would never be released…I told you so!
That’s a shame too as I really loved this version of king shark

That’s a shame too as I really loved this version of king shark
I was in the camp that loved everything about this film.
Coincidentally my McFarlane King Shark arrived at my doorstep today and looks awesome.
That’s as close as we’re going to get to a Hot Toys version. I love seeing this character design represented in 3 dimensions, even if it’s only 1/12 scale.
Alas, what might have been.
Now I know how fans of Valerian and the city of a Thousand Planets must have felt…

I am sure Hot Toys is watching the box office and already decided what their plan is. With their history with DC figures (not named Superman or Batman) we all know this line is DOA. They love Harley in anything but i can't see anything else being made.

A lot of people still use box office numbers to back up their agendas.

The Rotten Tomatoes score is usually used to bash a film too however given TSS currently sits at 92% - it can't be used. :lol

As I mentioned yesterday, we won't see true box office numbers until Summer '22 earliest.

I do feel like some axes are being ground in the media, to herald this as a flop so soon despite the mitigating circumstances, especially from such a small margin of error - feels like an agenda. Or to be slightly more kind, it feels like an easy story that doesn't need much effort on the part of the writers.

If the agendas are within WB itself though....well if a small hiccup like this is enough to make WB decide to burn all their bridges with the DC fanbase YET AGAIN then frankly they deserve their lack of success. Its getting to a point with the WB executives where I feel like they should just sell the rights to some other studio with more faith in the franchise and can stick to a plan without coming across like headless chickens. Though that said, I'm not sure which big studios are left that could purchase the DC rights....

There is just such a clear lack of direction and faith with the studio in this IP.
For one, I have no idea which movies are actually still happening. At varying points there was talk of a Batfleck movie, a Jared Leto Joker movie, a sequel to the Phoenix Joker movie (which would be awesome), an Aquaman sequel, a Black Adam movie, A Shazam sequel, a Batgirl movie, A Nightwing movie, a Gotham PD tv series that ties into one of the many Batman universes now occuring, Flash movie with Keaton Batman, A Keaton Batman movie series revival, Black Superman movie, Supergirl movie, Man of Steel sequels, Blue Beetle movie, Cyborg movie, a Lobo movie, A Static Shock movie, An Aquaman horror movie spinoff about those monster-fish-people that live in the Trench, A New Gods movie, An Hourman movie and A Green Lantern buddy cop style show........

This is just showing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks - there is no vision here.

I think the Robert Pattinson Batman is the only upcoming thing from DC that I am genuinely really excited for at this point, other than a sequel to Phoenix's Joker movie and a continuation of Zack Snyder's Justice League story. I do keep an open mind and who knows there may be some hidden gems from the mess of potential upcoming properties, but I still think this ship is in need of a stable, confident captain willing to take risks.

Disappointed but I just can't see HT going through the process of making King Shark.

There were alot of things going against this piece from the get-go, so a middling BO performance isn't going to be considered a positive. Much easier to kick this aside and make another Mando.

Disappointed but I just can't see HT going through the process of making King Shark.

There were alot of things going against this piece from the get-go, so a middling BO performance isn't going to be considered a positive. Much easier to kick this aside and make another Mando.
Serious question: Would a standalone King Shark sell better than a Cobb Vanth or Fennic Shand? I know I'm in a DC thread, but still curious.

I have no idea what sort of following King Shark has but Star Wars collectors are rabid.

I'm thinking many of the people that want King Shark because its just a cool looking 'thing' to have on your desk... but if its $350 or something I'm quite certain a lot of people will quickly change their mind. HT knows this.

Back