HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than Ellie, Henry and Sam not running when they were supposed too with the infected coming out of the ground, that was dumb, and why Joel didn’t just shoot the fat lady in the head, that was also dumb, this episode was a banger and boy did that ending hit hard for me.

I’ve never played the stupid game so sue me.

Videogames lulz

Videogames lulz

giphy.gif

:lol

Don’t get me wrong i’ve been playing video games ever since my childhood days with the Atari 2600, my parents were not gamers though because there were none in their time lol

I’ve owned every single console.

But I have never went searching for quality story telling in a video game that’s just ridiculous and embarrassing I play to blow **** up no matter the game I just want to blow **** up, that simple.

My parents bought me Atari 2600 Adventure on release day god I loved that game lol

Hold on let me go searching for deep philosophy in Call of Duty i’ll be right back!

Don’t get me wrong i’ve been playing video games ever since my childhood days with the Atari 2600, my parents were not gamers though because there were none in their time lol

But I have never went searching for quality story telling in a video game that’s just ridiculous and embarrassing I play to blow **** up no matter the game I just want to blow **** up, that simple.

My parents bought me Atari 2600 Adventure on release day god I loved that game lol

Hold on let me go searching for deep philosophy in Call of Duty i’ll be right back!
giphy.gif

But I have never went searching for quality story telling in a video game

TLOU Ellie rain.gif

that’s just ridiculous and embarrassing
giphy.gif

I play to blow **** up no matter the game I just want to blow **** up, that simple.

giphy.gif

I never played them either, so consider them more as long films or TV series, which is the format that the story lends itself to since the player is along for the ride and can't change the direction or ending.

Other than Ellie, Henry and Sam not running when they were supposed too with the infected coming out of the ground, that was dumb, and why Joel didn’t just shoot the fat lady in the head, that was also dumb, this episode was a banger and boy did that ending hit hard for me.

Videogames lulz

The funny thing about these statements is that many video games, especially The Last of Us, touch upon more mature concepts and ideas and go to much darker places these days than any of the ********* Hollywood puts out while still being entertaining lol in fact the game is more grounded in reality than the show so far.

To me you just seem to have a very narrow minded view on video games and the people that enjoy them as a medium, I don't question anybody's intelligence for liking Disney, Marvel or DC and consuming their movies and shows as respectable and mature art which makes up for the majority of these forums but The Last of Us video games take a steamy dump on any of those childish stories in terms of philosophy but sure tell me about the "deep philosophy" of Luke drinking alien titty milk or *insert superhero name here* making a funny joke after destroying half of whatever place they're supposed to save. :lol

I'm still liking it a lot. It's not the game, and never could be, but it's the spirit of the game.

The show augments it, adds some extra scenes, but also changes things. The changes make me want to rationalise it as being told by a different narrator from a different perspective, who heard the tale of Joel and Ellie from various, and not always trustworthy, sources.

Either that or the TLOU series takes place in Marvel/DC comic book style on a parallel Earth.

When it's finished I want to binge watch it. I was considering editing out the Bill and Frank interlude interruption because it breaks the natural flow of Joel and Ellie's developing relationship. But why bother? That's what the fast forward button's for. :lol
I'm glad you like it but aside from the first episode and the second to some extent I feel like the spirit of the game has been lost along the way, I really enjoyed the first episode and it filled me with such high hopes but as the show goes on it feels like it's completely losing that essence and putting in too much stuff that undoes how grounded the world felt in the game.

Aside from the pre outbreak material, Bill's relationship and some small scenes of world building I don't feel like the show augments the game in such a huge way like it was promised it feels more like a remix of game material and new material and unfortunately the new material (looking at you Kathleen) just sucks lol.

But that's the best episode of television in the past decade! 🤪

So the school teacher was still ridiculous anyway lol. Sorry I don’t see how anyone could follow her. I felt like I was about to get a time out ever time she talked.

So the school teacher was still ridiculous anyway lol. Sorry I don’t see how anyone could follow her. I felt like I was about to get a time out ever time she talked.
Someone told me last week she was supposed to have a purpose in the story and after the latest episode I'm still wondering what was her purpose, aside from giving me a good laugh with her death scene :rotfl seriously what a complete waste of time on this bland character, we should've gotten two episodes of Sam and Henry not two episodes of Kathleen.

The funny thing about these statements is that many video games, especially The Last of Us, touch upon more mature concepts and ideas and go to much darker places these days than any of the ********* Hollywood puts out while still being entertaining lol in fact the game is more grounded in reality than the show so far.

To me you just seem to have a very narrow minded view on video games and the people that enjoy them as a medium, I don't question anybody's intelligence for liking Disney, Marvel or DC and consuming their movies and shows as respectable and mature art which makes up for the majority of these forums but The Last of Us video games take a steamy dump on any of those childish stories in terms of philosophy but sure tell me about the "deep philosophy" of Luke drinking alien titty milk or *insert superhero name here* making a funny joke after destroying half of whatever place they're supposed to save. :lol
Please don’t compare disposable fun silly video games to the best cinema experiences from 1930-2023.

I'm glad you like it but aside from the first episode and the second to some extent I feel like the spirit of the game has been lost along the way, I really enjoyed the first episode and it filled me with such high hopes but as the show goes on it feels like it's completely losing that essence and putting in too much stuff that undoes how grounded the world felt in the game.

The spirit of the game for me is the relationship between Joel and Ellie, and the repercussions of the event that relationship leads to.

In the game Joel is hardened by the loss of his daughter. He's largely closed off and unreceptive to Ellie, who's looking at Joel as a father figure. She gradually wins him over to such an extent that... [spoilers]. Well, you know the rest.

I think Pedro's playing the part well. Withdrawn so much that he barely seems to be acting sometimes, because he's reluctant to open up.

Bella also captures the essence of game Ellie for me. An external shield of bravado that gradually drops to reveal her true nature, and her very real fear of being alone.

Warning to others - this video is a series of spoilers...

:monkey2

The spirit of the game for me is the relationship between Joel and Ellie, and the repercussions of the event that relationship leads to.

In the game Joel is hardened by the loss of his daughter. He's largely closed off and unreceptive to Ellie, who's looking at Joel as a father figure. She gradually wins him over to such an extent that... [spoilers]. Well, you know the rest.

I think Pedro's playing the part well. Withdrawn so much that he barely seems to be acting sometimes, because he's reluctant to open up.

Bella also captures the essence of game Ellie for me. An external shield of bravado that gradually drops to reveal her true nature, and her very real fear of being alone.

Warning to others - this video is a series of spoilers...

:monkey2

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. I get how some who have played the games will find this adaptation lacking to a certain extent, but for me it's about managing expectations. Rarely (never?) has a movie or TV series adaptation ever outstripped (in terms of quality) the source material that spawned it, be it a novel, short story, etc.. But video games like TLOU are a bit different than those in that there are already physical characters & performances to compare to (it's not left to our imaginations like in a book) as well as long stretches of play/travel with no character interactions whatsoever, which really doesn't translate well to movies & TV. So video game adaptations sometimes require added story content & characters to flesh them out, which is going to be hit-or-miss with a certain percentage of the game players. That said, I do think Kathleen's role in the KC revolt could have been made clearer. It was implied that she was the mastermind behind it after her brother (the leader of the resistance?) was betrayed by Henry and captured, but we never saw a true demonstration of that, hence the questions as to why people would follow her lead. Perhaps a short flashback to her (planning the attack with her lieutenants) in addition to the Henry & Ben flashback at the beginning of this episode would have done the trick? Regardless, she was a nice counterpoint to Henry (doing unspeakable evil in the name of revenge vs. his unspeakable evil in the name of love), and is another reminder to Joel of what he's trying not to be anymore.

Put a gun to my head make me choose between:

SW77, ESB, Raiders, LOTR, Road Warrior, CTB, Aliens, Predator 1, Die Hard, Robocop, Exorcist, The Thing, Airplane, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Wizard of Oz, Wrath of Khan, Forbidden Planet, MCU Phase 1-3, Lawrence of Arabia, The Batman, TDK, Black Orpheus, Caddyshack, The Mandalorian, Andor, Good Bad and the Ugly etc etc etc…

OR

The narrative powerhouses that are The Last of Us, Zelda, Final Fantasy and MGS Video Games

Boy that’s a hard choice….

1676137980209.gif

Last edited:
Someone told me last week she was supposed to have a purpose in the story and after the latest episode I'm still wondering what was her purpose, aside from giving me a good laugh with her death scene :rotfl seriously what a complete waste of time on this bland character, we should've gotten two episodes of Sam and Henry not two episodes of Kathleen.
Lol someone told me that last week aswell. That we will figure out why all these people follow her. I honestly got no indication as to why they would follow her other than she was a sister to the captain? I don’t know. But either way her soft spoken stern voice made me laugh.
“Now come on out Henry . Your actions have consequences”
Was about to give him time out

This is the first episode that I bought Bella Ramsey as Ellie. I'll give her about the last half of episode 4 from the point where she shoots Bryan, but she really sold it in this one. The stuff between her and Sam was great. She played the big sister role well and it felt organic. She also did great at the end. Pedro has proven he can do the big scenes so far, but at other times, I just don't buy into his performance. Whether it's the voice, facial expressions or delivery. His performance is so inconsistent.

Kathleen's character was pointless. She added nothing to the story and probably even made it worse. Her scenes took time from Henry and Sam when we could have seen more there. There's no way she should be in charge. It should be the other guy.

The Bloater was disappointing. They barely involved it in the fight. He ripped that guy's head off and that was it. I would've liked to see more from it.

This was probably the best episode overall though.

Put a gun to my head make me choose between:

SW77, ESB, Raiders, LOTR, Road Warrior, CTB, Aliens, Predator 1, Die Hard, Robocop, Exorcist, The Thing, Airplane, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Wizard of Oz, Wrath of Khan, Forbidden Planet, MCU Phase 1-3, Lawrence of Arabia, The Batman, TDK, Black Orpheus, Caddyshack, The Mandalorian, Andor, Good Bad and the Ugly etc etc etc…

OR

The narrative powerhouses that are Last of Us, Zelda, Final Fantasy and MGS Video Games

Boy that’s a hard choice….

View attachment 622378
You’re older you don’t understand. You can literally play any movie you want and live through those games. Dammit jye it’s people like you is the reason why it took so long to get respected video game adaptations like sonic. And yes I’m being serious

Videogames lulz

But I have never went searching for quality story telling in a video game that’s just ridiculous and embarrassing.
No one went looking for quality story telling when they played TLOU but when we got it anyway most of us were quite taken with it, hence the popularity/love. Calling it stupid and lumping it in with other mindless shoot'em up games without playing it is rather close-minded and doesn't do it justice. It's like my saying AWOW is a $2 Billion hot pile of garbage without ever seeing it. Except in the case of AWOW I'm quite confident that assessment is correct. :lol

Back