WATCHMEN TV Series in the works at HBO.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole season was a masterpiece.

Bravo, Damon Lindeloff.

Bravo, Regina King. She deserves an Emmy for her performance as Angela Akbar.

Fantastic.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece by any stretch, but I'll give credit where credit is due: there were a few really good hours of television in here wrapped by some of the lousiest I've seen in quite a while.

Episode 1: crap.
Episode 2: crap.
Episode 3: good.
Episode 4: crap.
Episode 5: quite good.
Episode 6: crap.
Episode 7: crap.
Episode 8: ehhhhh.....certainly not what I'd have done with the character and could never possibly be "canon" in my mind, but still an entertaining episode.
Episode 9: good, if not corny and predictable.

Did anyone on earth who's seen a movie in the last few years not see that smash to black coming about 5 minutes away? Inception, Batman v Superman, X-Men 3 (original trilogy) etc..........sooooo original.

This could have been a good or even great series if they hadn't resorted to the petty (and boring) race baiting. It was simply not necessary. Also, if you want your cliched cartoon super villain evil white supremacist bad guy who even speaks with a Southern drawl and yells "yeeehawww" to actually sound like an evil racist, maybe don't have him say things that are perfectly within reason.

(His line about white people being held accountable for things that happened hundreds of years before they were born, in case I have to clarify.)

A few scenes later, he calls Angela a "black *****." That's better. That's a racist. That's an ass hole. Nobody likes that.

The Ozymandias plot was actually a lot of fun and probably the most interesting and worthwhile part about the show. It was cool to get a little bit of it at a time and have it told out of order, and not have it spoon-fed. That was cool. His final interactions with the Gamesmaster was a nice scene too, as well as the reveal about what he spelled out with the bodies. (We were supposed to assume he wrote Dr, not "daughter." I'll admit I wasn't expecting Trieu to be his daughter but that's cause I didn't care. I found the actress thoroughly unlikable so I skipped every scene she was in since her introduction.)

I don't know if that makes her a good villain or not. We're not supposed to like the villains, but we're not supposed to be so turned off by the actor playing them that we skip their scenes entirely. I get that she was supposed to come off smug and unikeable, but whoever they cast must have dialed it up to 11 cause I couldn't stand to watch her at all.

As a TV show I'd give it about a C+ for the Ozymandias and Looking Glass stories alone. As a sequel to Watchmen it gets a big fat F from me. The only character that I could see behaving this way after the book was Ozymandias, and that's only if he's put in the position he was in. In all likelihood after the events of the book, he would continue pulling strings to try to push the world in the direction he wants it to go.

Dr. Manhattan probably really was on Mars, like he said he was going to be, or maybe he left the boundaries of our solar system or even dimension altogether. I don't see him picking up chicks after the events of the book. It was a nice homage, but the character was past that stage of his life and his humanity at that point. I also don't see him obsessing over Superman or whatever the hell dumb crap he did in Doomsday Clock. I'm just a fan, so I have no say, but I imagine whatever he ended up doing after 1985 was something we wouldn't quite comprehend. And since Alan Moore never felt compelled to tell us what it was, I'm fine with leaving it a mystery.

The eggs references were a bit on the nose, weren't they? Is that all it takes to seem "clever" now? Sprinkle some references to the finale in over the course of the eight episodes?

The obsession with race relations was such a drag. There honestly was no reason for it to be set in Tulsa other than the writers having a boner about that race riot there in 1921. If raising awareness about that event was there goal, then mission accomplished, I guess, cause I'd never heard of it before and now I'm aware of it. But....so? It was almost a hundred years ago. I'm not sure what the point of talking about it now is.

Hey, did everyone see what happened to the theater marquee after the squid storm? Dreamland got changed to "DR M"......get it??? GET IT??? DR M???? DOCTOR MANHATTAN???? DO YOU GET IT??? GUYS....GUYS....DID YOU GET IT??? DID YOU GET IT??? DOCTOR MANHATTAN......DID YOU SEE HOW CLEVER THEY ARE??????

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece by any stretch, but I'll give credit where credit is due: there were a few really good hours of television in here wrapped by some of the lousiest I've seen in quite a while.

Episode 1: crap.
Episode 2: crap.
Episode 3: good.
Episode 4: crap.
Episode 5: quite good.
Episode 6: crap.
Episode 7: crap.
Episode 8: ehhhhh.....certainly not what I'd have done with the character and could never possibly be "canon" in my mind, but still an entertaining episode.
Episode 9: good, if not corny and predictable.

Did anyone on earth who's seen a movie in the last few years not see that smash to black coming about 5 minutes away? Inception, Batman v Superman, X-Men 3 (original trilogy) etc..........sooooo original.

This could have been a good or even great series if they hadn't resorted to the petty (and boring) race baiting. It was simply not necessary. Also, if you want your cliched cartoon super villain evil white supremacist bad guy who even speaks with a Southern drawl and yells "yeeehawww" to actually sound like an evil racist, maybe don't have him say things that are perfectly within reason.

(His line about white people being held accountable for things that happened hundreds of years before they were born, in case I have to clarify.)

A few scenes later, he calls Angela a "black *****." That's better. That's a racist. That's an ass hole. Nobody likes that.

The Ozymandias plot was actually a lot of fun and probably the most interesting and worthwhile part about the show. It was cool to get a little bit of it at a time and have it told out of order, and not have it spoon-fed. That was cool. His final interactions with the Gamesmaster was a nice scene too, as well as the reveal about what he spelled out with the bodies. (We were supposed to assume he wrote Dr, not "daughter." I'll admit I was expecting Trieu to be his daughter but that's cause I didn't care. I found the actress thoroughly unlikable so I skipped every scene she was in since her introduction.)

I don't know if that makes her a good villain or not. We're not supposed to like the villains, but we're not supposed to be so turned off by the actor playing them that we skip their scenes entirely. I get that she was supposed to come off smug and unikeable, but whoever they cast must have dialed it up to 11 cause I couldn't stand to watch her at all.

As a TV show I'd give it about a C+ for the Ozymandias and Looking Glass stories alone. As a sequel to Watchmen it gets a big fat F from me. The only character that I could see behaving this way after the book was Ozymandias, and that's only if he's put in the position he was in. In all likelihood after the events of the book, he would continue pulling strings to try to push the world in the direction he wants it to go.

Dr. Manhattan probably really was on Mars, like he said he was going to be, or maybe he left the boundaries of our solar system or even dimension altogether. I don't see him picking up chicks after the events of the book. It was a nice homage, but the character was past that stage of his life and his humanity at that point. I also don't see him obsessing over Superman or whatever the hell dumb crap he did in Doomsday Clock. I'm just a fan, so I have no say, but I imagine whatever he ended up doing after 1985 was something we wouldn't quite comprehend. And since Alan Moore never felt compelled to tell us what it was, I'm fine with leaving it a mystery.

The eggs references were a bit on the nose, weren't they? Is that all it takes to seem "clever" now? Sprinkle some references to the finale in over the course of the eight episodes?

The obsession with race relations was such a drag. There honestly was no reason for it to be set in Tulsa other than the writers having a boner about that race riot there in 1921. If raising awareness about that event was there goal, then mission accomplished, I guess, cause I'd never heard of it before and now I'm aware of it. But....so? It was almost a hundred years ago. I'm not sure what the point of talking about it now is.

Hey, did everyone see what happened to the theater marquee after the squid storm? Dreamland got changed to "DR M"......get it??? GET IT??? DR M???? DOCTOR MANHATTAN???? DO YOU GET IT??? GUYS....GUYS....DID YOU GET IT??? DID YOU GET IT??? DOCTOR MANHATTAN......DID YOU SEE HOW CLEVER THEY ARE??????

I agree with a lot of what you said...

I think the show was ok, but not great in any way. Most of the characters lacked charisma, so it was a bit tough for me to root for any of them, let alone identify with them.
Angela was insufferable (but that's probably me, I usually don't like those "driven" characters), Jus-whatever unpronounceable name was a clich?, the baddies were caricatures (especially the Senator dude... "yeehaw" - seriously?), Dr. Manhattan was (IMHO) completely unrecognisable from the comics and generally poorly written... Ozymandias, Looking Glass and Hooded whatever were the only interesting characters for me. I thought it was appropriately funny and ironic that the first hero was a gay black dude who wore a hood and a noose around his neck to remind us what "doing justice with your own hands" can actually lead to, i.e. lynching and vigilantism.
I agree that the racial tension thing was a bit overdone, but I do believe it's important to remind us of wrongs that have been done, even if it's a long time ago, because it's important to keep the memory alive so it's harder for such things to happen again.

I think the show was ok, but not great in any way. Most of the characters lacked charisma, so it was a bit tough for me to root for any of them, let alone identify with them.

I'm finding it bland and ponderous.

It's one of those series that you watch, but look forward to being over. In the fourth episode I was ready to throw in the towel, but I let them play on. Thankfully just one more to go now.

I much preferred The Boys. And for weird that was actually witty, Doom Patrol.

Jeremy Irons was the standout. The rest was ****ing terrible. Pretty much what I expect from Lindelof.

Irons was especially standout when he stood up... and farted!

giphy.gif

:fart

I'm finding it bland and ponderous.

It's one of those series that you watch, but look forward to being over. In the fourth episode I was ready to throw in the towel, but I let them play on. Thankfully just one more to go now.

I much preferred The Boys. And for weird that was actually witty, Doom Patrol.

So i finally sat down and crunched through it over 3 days. I originally abandoned it after episode 2 as more or less unwatchable, but people kept telling me how great it was.

Well...it *did* improve or maybe it was Stockholm Syndrome, I don't know. I'm mostly glad it's over and won't re-watch.

I didn't find any of the characters charismatic, as someone here has said...Dr. Manhattan's actions seemed incongruous with what we knew about the character already...and to be honest I'm getting tired of all this mystery box crap that keeps popping up in entertainment. I'd prefer a straight narrative to all this sneaking around.

It just felt disjointed and stitched together a lot of the time.

So I gave it a chance, it had its moments but overall, not for me.

Alan Moore says:

I thought, “Oh, god, perhaps a large part of the public, this is what they think Watchmen was?” They think that it was a dark, gritty, dystopian superhero franchise that was something to do with white supremacism. Did they not understand Watchmen?

Oh yeah. Oh that feels good. Oh man, it feels so nice to have The Original Author backing up my arguments after three years.

Am I that petty to resurrect this necro-thread about a truly lackluster and already forgotten TV show three years after the fact just to rub it in that Alan Moore basically validated all of my complaints?

Yes. Yes, I am that petty.

Last edited:
Alan Moore says:

I thought, “Oh, god, perhaps a large part of the public, this is what they think Watchmen was?” They think that it was a dark, gritty, dystopian superhero franchise that was something to do with white supremacism. Did they not understand Watchmen?

Oh yeah. Oh that feels good. Oh man, it feels so nice to have The Original Author backing up my arguments after three years.

Am I that petty to resurrect this necro-thread about a truly lackluster and already forgotten TV show three years after the fact just to rub it in that Alan Moore basically validated all of my complaints?

Yes. Yes am I that petty.
Please do not remind me of this show. Thank you.

Alan Moore says:

Yes. Yes am I that petty.

This show was pretty terrible. Let's be honest though Alan Moore hates absolutely everything :lol

I remember people telling me that I just didn't "get" what watchmen was about because I didn't enjoy the series.

I guess the creator doesn't "get" what it's about either, lol...

Clearly the original Watchmen story didn't have the racial themes of the new show. But the new creators went their own route, and I personally felt they were reasonably successful with it, though they went a bit over the top with, say, the portrayal of Don Johnson and his group as closeted Clansmen. A bit too on the nose.

But as Moore says, he was primed to disdain any effort to move forward with a TV show or movie around Watchmen. He doesn't want anything to do with any of it, and thinks those continuing to capitalize on it are scum. So, he would have been critical no matter what.

Saying that, I do love me some Moore curmudgeonness. And though I admit to being excited back when Greengrass and Gilliam were considering Watchmen adaptations, in hindsight it is evident that his comic masterpieces just can't be recreated effectively in any other medium.

I tend to agree.

I liked Snyder's Watchmen more than most, (I presume) especially the Ultimate Cut, but even then I view it as just a fun companion piece to the book. I can't imagine anyone watching the movie with no previous knowledge of the book or the characters possibly enjoying sitting through the movie.

My biggest complaint about the movie AND the original book is how easy it was to guess Ozymandias' password. I suppose I have to suspend disbelief cause it was the 80s and all, and PC passwords were still a fairly new idea that wasn't part of daily life yet, but it's still the one thing about the book that makes me roll my eyes to this day.

My biggest complaint about the movie AND the original book is how easy it was to guess Ozymandias' password. I suppose I have to suspend disbelief cause it was the 80s and all, and PC passwords were still a fairly new idea that wasn't part of daily life yet, but it's still the one thing about the book that makes me roll my eyes to this day.
There have been so many movies and TV shows where someone unbelievably guesses the password. I guess it's a trope at this point.

Back