Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t show they aren’t linked, but I trust the multiple financial sites for the given reason.

You severely underestimate just how many didn’t like and didn’t care about BvS.

Here is an article discussing Justice League’s disastrous opening weekend. Notice this is only opening weekend. You can’t really blame all the changes made to JL when majority of the audience didn’t even know about the changes going into the movie. BvS effectively killed the DCEU.

Also, BVS had one of the worst dropoffs ever for a superhero film, here is the article.

I really don’t understand why you keep thinking ”internet nerds” killed the DCEU when in reality it was Snyder’s vision that wasn’t well received.

Marvel always had a good plan, DC always had a badly rushed plan.

What reasons are those?

You severely overestimate how many didn't hate or did like it.

I wasn't even that interested in the universe when JL came out and I knew about the changes. Many reviews came out before the movie did. If BvS was so damaging why did SS and WW do so well?

Yes, it did drop fast, it did have a huge opening weekend so it was bound to drop a lot. It had a 69% drop, Spider-Man: No Way Home had a 68% drop.

If there is no internet how do you know it's not liked? If you have a movie make nearly 900 million that's a success, ask the X-Men and Transformers franchise.

You keep moving the goalposts on the plans. DC didn't have one, now they did but it was rushed. Marvel had one but then you used an announcement in 2014 and now they did always have one but it was "good". Make up your mind.

What reasons are those?

You severely overestimate how many didn't hate or did like it.

I wasn't even that interested in the universe when JL came out and I knew about the changes. Many reviews came out before the movie did. If BvS was so damaging why did SS and WW do so well?

Yes, it did drop fast, it did have a huge opening weekend so it was bound to drop a lot. It had a 69% drop, Spider-Man: No Way Home had a 68% drop.

If there is no internet how do you know it's not liked? If you have a movie make nearly 900 million that's a success, ask the X-Men and Transformers franchise.

You keep moving the goalposts on the plans. DC didn't have one, now they did but it was rushed. Marvel had one but then you used an announcement in 2014 and now they did always have one but it was "good". Make up your mind.
T as a fellow Snyder fan I think we just have to let it go.

Honestly T, at the end of the day ironwez and those who want a fresh start are not entirely wrong either.

I don’t trust WB at all but ultimately they have very valid box office reasons with Black Adam why it should move on 100% without an ounce of ZS influence and as a ZS fan i’m ready to move on.

No need for tit for tat with ironwez or any other members us ZS fans held our ground with valid points as did the other side and lets just enjoy the fact that we own 3 of ZS movies that we will infinitely watch way more than Gunn’s TSS, am i right.

As a hard-core fan who enjoys all superhero properties my fingers are crossed and I hope for the best and if it’s great then we celebrate but if it’s trash then we come back here and make more fun of WB and say “I told you so” over and over lol

After seeing the awesome ZSJL in all its glory and realizing that everything was supposed to be wrapped up in ZSJL Part II I no longer feel that BvS was rushed. It now seems like it was part of a valid plan with a very satisfying end in sight. And the true JL would have really beaten IW to the punch if WB had simply allowed it to play out as originally intended.

Although the story is somewhat similar I think BvS has a lot more weight. There is very little spoon-feeding by comparison. It has cleverly repeating subtle themes and every time I watch it I find something new. It looks far superior, has a much better score, and takes itself completely seriously.
Mmmm idk bout that but I’ll agree to disagree

Honestly T, at the end of the day ironwez and those who want a fresh start are not entirely wrong either.

I don’t trust WB at all but ultimately they have very valid box office reasons with Black Adam why it should move on 100% without an ounce of ZS influence and as a ZS fan i’m ready to move on.

No need for tit for tat with ironwez or any other members us ZS fans held our ground with valid points as did the other side and lets just enjoy the fact that we own 3 of ZS movies that we will infinitely watch way more than Gunn’s TSS, am i right.

As a hard-core fan who enjoys all superhero properties my fingers are crossed and I hope for the best and if it’s great then we celebrate but if it’s trash then we come back here and make more fun of WB and say “I told you so” over and over lol
Lol funny thing is I was rooting for Snyder and thought bvs was going to be a good movie. I couldn’t wait for what he was going to bring to the table. He just missed the mark completely. But DC/WB did to. I don’t have faith in Gunn tho. I’ll see what happens when it happens. I enjoyed his suicide squad movie. King shark and rat catcher were pretty fun. But yea we need to move on from anything Snyder imo

I was rooting for Snyder, but it just never gelled for me. Man of Steel was a huge deviation from the kind of Superman I loved, and BvS was a mess even with the director’s cut, and even the ZSJL is good… but not great.

You had all this amazing stories ripped from the comics - TDKR, Death of Superman, etc. - and this was their one shot and they just didn’t land it. I think about how meaningful a proper Death of Superman would be in a film where dozens of heroes knew him and loved him, where the world grieved and his loss was felt in a powerful way even amongst his foes.
Superman-Funeral-for-a-Friend-int.jpg

I imagine a Justice League formed over time, bonded by their shared histories of crime fighting and world saving. I imagine a Batman who we see in his prime with a Robin, one we see lose terribly, and who has the friends there to pull him back. I imagine a universe that thrives with the Teen Titans. I imagine a universe that looked at the Justice League Unlimited show for inspiration. I imagine a thriving universe where everyone from Hawkgirl to Green Arrow to Aztek are running around and Booster Gold is a household name. I imagine a universe with I can recognize Cassie Cain…

It wasn’t working. It was by Snyder’s own admission an Elseworld story and a deconstruction of these heroes. But many of them had never been in a movie before. Why would you “deconstruct” characters general audiences had never seen properly constructed in the first place?

It was never the right fit for a shared universe. It would never compete with the MCU with that approach. I love Henry Cavill as Superman in theory, but I never once felt I got the pure Superman moment I kept waiting for, not in five appearances.

It’s beyond time to reboot. I hope my kids get a better DCU than we got.

I can accept that Snyderverse is done. It has been for while. I can accept some didn't like it. I can accept that people are looking forward to what's next.

I'm not keen on people dropping what they consider facts that to me make no sense and I will say my piece. That said, sometimes I don't tend to know when to stop and I'm sure others get fed up with it.

I can accept that Snyderverse is done. It has been for while. I can accept some didn't like it. I can accept that people are looking forward to what's next.

I'm not keen on people dropping what they consider facts that to me make no sense and I will say my piece. That said, sometimes I don't tend to know when to stop and I'm sure others get fed up with it.
The facts make sense you just choose to not accept them cause you are a fan of the snyderverse. Here is the facts laid out infront of you

The snyderverse wasn’t a hit with the GA and half the fanbase. It failed to capture what made dc great. The movies should have easily crossed a billion but didn’t . The reboot had to happpen or else they’d lose even more money.

If Snyder didn't have to step back from JL when it was nearly finished, it could have been different. It's clear Snyder had his fanbase. However, this wouldn't have changed the problems with Flash, Aquaman etc

Who do we think will be cast as Batman? I hope the cut to the chase and don't do another origin with a relatively young Bruce. Just get to the action with his sexy cave and vehicles like in the comics

Snyders fanbase is too small. If it was larger, these movies would've succeeded and we wouldn't even be having these conversations..

MOS was Ok as a starting point. It just derailed from there for a majority of people (myself included) with the doom and gloom universe after seeing BvS which was terrible. JL was bad. Despite what Snyder fans want to think, the Snyder cut did not do well either on HBOMax. Both versions are terrible.

It's ok to be a Snyder fan and like what he was doing, but also understand that more people did not like it than did. The Box Office numbers speak for themselves. BvS should've broken a billion with ease.

Just my 2 cents..... :duff

The facts make sense you just choose to not accept them cause you are a fan of the snyderverse. Here is the facts laid out infront of you

The snyderverse wasn’t a hit with the GA and half the fanbase. It failed to capture what made dc great. The movies should have easily crossed a billion but didn’t . The reboot had to happpen or else they’d lose even more money.
This is what I'm talking about. Just because you think it, doesn't make it so.

Snyders fanbase is too small. If it was larger, these movies would've succeeded and we wouldn't even be having these conversations..

MOS was Ok as a starting point. It just derailed from there for a majority of people (myself included) with the doom and gloom universe after seeing BvS which was terrible. JL was bad. Despite what Snyder fans want to think, the Snyder cut did not do well either on HBOMax. Both versions are terrible.

It's ok to be a Snyder fan and like what he was doing, but also understand that more people did not like it than did. The Box Office numbers speak for themselves. BvS should've broken a billion with ease.

Just my 2 cents..... :duff
The first four DCEU movies averaged 775 million and a 6.7 on IMDb
The first four MCU movies averaged 480 million and a 7.1 average on IMDb

What is it about this that shows the MAJORITY of people didn't like them and what the box office says?

People have given you facts on facts on facts my guy. If the GA loved it and if it was a hit with all the fans we wouldn’t be having this conversation
Some facts, mostly opinions.

If only it was that simple. Was there no Spider-Man 4 because people didn't want it?

The snyderverse was successful. The problem was that it was not as successful as the MCU circa Avengers and beyond. WB recognised that they had the two biggest comic book characters in Batman and Superman and figured that they should be making that sweet MCU money (if not more because the MCU was just b/c listers). The only problem is they didn't want to put in the work and time to make a shared universe work to its maximum potential. They had no patience to see through Snyder's vision or to grow the universe more organically and had one eye on their end of year bonuses at all times.

They wanted MOS to make a billion. As it did not, they scrapped man of steel 2 and fast tracked batman into the sequel, surely batman and Superman together would make a billion. Now the Avengers was making the mega bucks WB needed to fast track the Justice League. So they made Snyder compromise again on BVS and shoehorn in the Justice League videos with wonder woman.

Snyder was instructed to start straight away on Justice League. WB then received the numbers for BVS and they were not the billion that they wanted. WB then used the Snyder families personal tragedy to fire him and replace him with Whedon to turn Justice League into the Avengers. Whedon was given hardly anytime to achieve this because the film had to release so that end of year bonuses would be achieved.

Wonder woman and aquaman were both very successful supporting movies. Imagine if they had landed earlier in the schedule.

Suicide squad was a foolish strategic decision (should have been the flash or batman solo movie) but the final film was also butchered in the edit to make it guardians of the galaxy. Now WB have hired the Guardians guy to run their whole studio. Gunn better hope he tops a billion with his Superman movie, otherwise he has seen the blueprint for his future.

The first four DCEU movies averaged 775 million and a 6.7 on IMDb
The first four MCU movies averaged 480 million and a 7.1 average on IMDb

What is it about this that shows the MAJORITY of people didn't like them and what the box office says?
The first four MCU films involved Thor and Captain America.

The first four DCEU films involved Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

It shouldn’t even be close, let alone LESS acclaim.

The snyderverse was successful. The problem was that it was not as successful as the MCU circa Avengers and beyond. WB recognised that they had the two biggest comic book characters in Batman and Superman and figured that they should be making that sweet MCU money (if not more because the MCU was just b/c listers). The only problem is they didn't want to put in the work and time to make a shared universe work to its maximum potential. They had no patience to see through Snyder's vision or to grow the universe more organically and had one eye on their end of year bonuses at all times.

They wanted MOS to make a billion. As it did not, they scrapped man of steel 2 and fast tracked batman into the sequel, surely batman and Superman together would make a billion. Now the Avengers was making the mega bucks WB needed to fast track the Justice League. So they made Snyder compromise again on BVS and shoehorn in the Justice League videos with wonder woman.

Snyder was instructed to start straight away on Justice League. WB then received the numbers for BVS and they were not the billion that they wanted. WB then used the Snyder families personal tragedy to fire him and replace him with Whedon to turn Justice League into the Avengers. Whedon was given hardly anytime to achieve this because the film had to release so that end of year bonuses would be achieved.

Wonder woman and aquaman were both very successful supporting movies. Imagine if they had landed earlier in the schedule.

Suicide squad was a foolish strategic decision (should have been the flash or batman solo movie) but the final film was also butchered in the edit to make it guardians of the galaxy. Now WB have hired the Guardians guy to run their whole studio. Gunn better hope he tops a billion with his Superman movie, otherwise he has seen the blueprint for his future.
A couple of things in here aren't accurate but generally on the money...unlike WB

Some facts, mostly opinions.

If only it was that simple. Was there no Spider-Man 4 because people didn't want it?
That’s a horrible example. Sm3 was badly received but because Sony was greedy and wanted to hold onto the rights they decided to reboot instead of work with raimi on sm4

The first four MCU films involved Thor and Captain America.

The first four DCEU films involved Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

It shouldn’t even be close, let alone LESS acclaim.
Superman, the last movie made less than 400 million. The last really successful Superman movie was over 30 years ago.
Batman, sure he brings in the money generally but it was taking over from the super successful Nolan movies and going in another direction. A first-time Batman hasn't been super successful for 20 years. The 3rd Nolan movie made 33% less than the team-up of all the B-list Marvel heroes.
Wonder Woman is completely unknown in movies at this point. Sure she's great now but in 2016 she wasn't anything.

Add on top of that in 2016 GA was enamoured with Iron Man and the MCU. My kids weren't asking me to take them to see Superman and Batman, it was Tony Stark and Captain America.
The trinity may have been the gold standard in comics but movie wise they were second-tier by comparison.

That’s a horrible example. Sm3 was badly received but because Sony was greedy and wanted to hold onto the rights they decided to reboot instead of work with raimi on sm4
No it's not, the fans loved the universe and wanted more. It made good money. It didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back