Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Batman at $609M after three weeks with a 45 day window before it goes to streaming on HBO Max. It’s about halfway through it’s entire theater run. China having a Covid surge being partly responsible, but I suspect this very dark sort of film perhaps does not appeal all that much to the Chinese audience to begin with.

There’s still no way I have found of commiserating with the BvS haters that love The Batman re: it not making $1B and still being a considered a success. They still disparage BvS. But anyway, it makes me feel validated in some odd way about BvS not cracking $1B either.
Didn’t expect the Batman to hit a billion in the first place

Didn’t expect the Batman to hit a billion in the first place

I hear you. A lot of folks on r/DC_Cinematic and Twitter did, though. They were very vocal about it when the movie released.

Scott Mendelson of Forbes says The Batman will finish with a multiplier of x4.2 its budget + advertising which is darned good. So yeah, it‘s quite a success despite ending up in the $700Ms. BvS made like $105M but in all the articles that arrive at that figure they didn’t include something like $160M in product placement earning back much of the production budget before the film was even released. So BvS did okay but certainly not 4x it’s multi per, no. My point being a concession that The Batman was more financially successful, yes.

BvS seems to be gradually garnering a more positive overall perception over time, although the haters will of course continue to **** all over it at at every opportunity, in every way they can think of. On r/DC_Cinematic, for example, I regularly see people posting now that although they hated BvS when it released in the theater, more recently they went back and watched the UE and were pleasantly surprised by it, and in fact in many cases even loved it.* But all that said, it will always be a controversial polarizing film, there’s no denying that. I personally don’t see that as a bad thing. It’s more interesting to talk about than a film that has played it comparatively much more safe and is widely accepted (fill in the blank here with almost any MCU movie). BvS continues to remain relevant in popular culture.

* Just a speculation but I wonder if the generally favorable perception of ZSJL, and enjoyment of that film, may have prompted them to take another look at BvS.

Last edited:
Scott Mendelson of Forbes says The Batman will finish with a multiplier of x4.25 its budget + advertising which is darned good. So yeah, it‘s quite a success despite ending up in the $700Ms. BvS made like $105M but in all the articles that arrive at that figure they didn’t include something like $160M in product placement earning back much of the production budget before the film was even released. So BvS did okay but certainly not 4x it’s multi per, no. My point being a concession that The Batman was more financially successful, yes.

BvS seems to be gradually garnering a more positive overall perception over time, although the haters will of course continue to **** all over it at at every opportunity, in every way they can think of. On r/DC_Cinematic, for example, I regularly see people posting now that although they hated BvS when it released in the theater, more recently they went back and watched the UE and were pleasantly surprised by it, and in fact in many cases even loved it.* But all that said, it will always be a controversial polarizing film, there’s denying that. I personally don’t see that as a bad thing. It’s more interesting to talk about than a film that has played it comparatively much more safe and is widely accepted (fill in the blank here with almost any MCU movie). BvS continues to remain relevant in popular culture.

* Just a speculation but I wonder if the generally favorable perception of ZSJL, and enjoyment of that film, may have prompted them to take another look at BvS.
BvS theatrical version and UE are not the same movie and I don't think they shouldn' be considered so. The theatrical version isn't a great movie and got what it deserved at the box office. BvS UE is a vast improvement over the theatrical version and fixes most of the shortcomings of the theatrical version by filling in some of the plot gaps. I'm not sure about it being particularly relevant in pop culture, especially compared.to the Snyder Cut of Justice League which was willed into existence by the persistence of fans and Snyder, and the continued speculation to continue it.

Scott Mendelson of Forbes says The Batman will finish with a multiplier of x4.2 its budget + advertising which is darned good. So yeah, it‘s quite a success despite ending up in the $700Ms. BvS made like $105M but in all the articles that arrive at that figure they didn’t include something like $160M in product placement earning back much of the production budget before the film was even released. So BvS did okay but certainly not 4x it’s multi per, no. My point being a concession that The Batman was more financially successful, yes.

BvS seems to be gradually garnering a more positive overall perception over time, although the haters will of course continue to **** all over it at at every opportunity, in every way they can think of. On r/DC_Cinematic, for example, I regularly see people posting now that although they hated BvS when it released in the theater, more recently they went back and watched the UE and were pleasantly surprised by it, and in fact in many cases even loved it.* But all that said, it will always be a controversial polarizing film, there’s denying that. I personally don’t see that as a bad thing. It’s more interesting to talk about than a film that has played it comparatively much more safe and is widely accepted (fill in the blank here with almost any MCU movie). BvS continues to remain relevant in popular culture.

Well, I hated the first version of Justice League, I thought it was an awful mess of a movie. However after some prompting by members of this forum I recently watched ZSJL and loved it, I found it to be so much more engaging and meaningful than the first version.
However, I still really dislike BvS (although I love my BvS Batman figure). The things I didn’t like about it before still bother me. Maybe it is partially because I was really looking forward to BvS while just being cautiously optimistic about ZSJL.
Overall, I simply didn’t like the story development in BvS and the Doomsday segment was really disappointing for me.

Btw, I am not on Twitter and I don’t spend any time on Reddit discussing/arguing about these movies. I’m not trying to s#*t on BvS just giving my personal opinion

Well, I hated the first version of Justice League, I thought it was an awful mess of a movie. However after some prompting by members of this forum I recently watched ZSJL and loved it, I found it to be so much more engaging and meaningful than the first version.
However, I still really dislike BvS (although I love my BvS Batman figure). The things I didn’t like about it before still bother me. Maybe it is partially because I was really looking forward to BvS while just being cautiously optimistic about ZSJL.
Overall, I simply didn’t like the story development in BvS and the Doomsday segment was really disappointing for me.

Btw, I am not on Twitter and I don’t spend any time on Reddit discussing/arguing about these movies. I’m not trying to s#*t on BvS just giving my personal opinion
Have you seen the Ultimate Edition of BvS?

Yeah, BvS was definitely not made with mainstream taste in mind, I would say. Or certainly it does not cater to, or pander to, that taste. But that said, I do think it has enough captivating character moments, action scenes, and cinematicgraphical and musical score ingredients for mainstream audiences to thoroughly enjoy it, though.

Imo to really appreciate how layered with symbolic meta-content BvS is, one has to understand what deconstruction is. And in that aspect it certainly helps to become familiar with that topic, i.e., deconstruction, and to self-educate oneself about it. Ideally, this should entail understanding the roots of deconstruction in the comics, particularly 1986’s Watchmen and Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns.

I’m a bit sorry/not sorry about how elitist that probably sounds. But it is what it is.

Last edited:
Yeah, BvS was definitely not made with mainstream taste in mind, I would say. Or certainly it does not cater to, or pander to, that taste. But that said, I do think it has enough captivating character moments, action scenes, and cinematicgraphical and musical score ingredients for mainstream audiences to thoroughly enjoy it, though.

Imo to really appreciate how layered with symbolic meta-content BvS is, one has to understand what deconstruction is. And in that aspect it certainly helps to become familiar with that topic, i.e., deconstruction, and to self-educate oneself about it. Ideally, this should entail understanding the roots of deconstruction in the comics, particularly 1986’s Watchmen and Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns.

I’m a bit sorry/not sorry about how elitist that probably sounds. But it is what it is.
Well

I have a very firm understanding of deconstruction in literature and in film. Watchmen is great and I LOVED Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. As a matter of fact part of the reason I was excited to watch BvS was because of how much I enjoyed the aforementioned Frank Miller TDKR yet I still disliked BvS. Yes, I think the film has its moments but overall I thought it was poor.

To suggest that if a person doesn’t like BvS it means that they either don’t understand deconstruction, or have pedestrian tastes regarding films is condescending. Btw, I’m not saying that the condescension is intentional.

Last edited:
I think what alatar means is that he sees things in the movie that others can’t and he sees a deeper meaning in the movie and chooses to accept what the director tried to do even though many others didn’t like what they saw. I don’t think he meant people didn’t understand I think he just means it’s just not everyone’s cup of tea.

I think what alatar means is that he sees things in the movie that others can’t and he sees a deeper meaning in the movie and chooses to accept what the director tried to do even though many others didn’t like what they saw. I don’t think he meant people didn’t understand I think he just means it’s just not everyone’s cup of tea.
That makes sense.

That said, I have been thinking about giving it another watch from beginning to end to see what I think of it now since quite a bit of time has passed.

In case anyone bought the bull**** artists on Twitter claiming Discovery and WB were unhappy with The Batman and Matt Reeves, he's listed as one of the key development partner in the big Warner-Discovery press release today.

Yeah, he's sticking around and so is his take on the Batverse.

Thanks, you said it much better than I did. I’m definitely not trying to say that that I’m somehow smarter or more sophisticated than others who don‘t like the film.

Last edited:
Well

I have a very firm understanding of deconstruction in literature and in film. Watchmen is great and I LOVED Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. As a matter of fact part of the reason I was excited to watch BvS was because of how much I enjoyed the aforementioned Frank Miller TDKR yet I still disliked BvS. Yes, I think the film has its moments but overall I thought it was poor.

To suggest that if a person doesn’t like BvS it means that they either don’t understand deconstruction, or have pedestrian tastes regarding films is condescending. Btw, I’m not saying that the condescension is intentional.

Yeah, that came off all wrong. I’m coming more from the place that in my own personal experience after I studied Watchmen and analyzed BvS through that lens I saw the film in a whole different light. I was able to appreciate it much more. If you disliked it or for whatever reason it didn’t resonate with you I totally respect that.

Yeah, that came off all wrong. I’m coming more from the place that in my own personal experience after I studied Watchmen and analyzed BvS through that lens I saw the film in a whole different light. I was able to appreciate it much more. If you disliked it or for whatever reason it didn’t resonate with you I totally respect that.
Thanks for the clarification Alatar, I hear you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back