Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I’m seeing gal galdot is still WW. So wtf is it then? Soft reboot or reboot. I’m getting tired. It’s a shame these idiots fell so hard behind marvel. In the 00s the JL was the superhero team that everyone recognized. Nobody cared about the avengers except hardcore comic fans.
Scrapping the current plans for WW3 doesn't mean they are getting rid of Gal Galdot nor does it mean that they won't do another WW film but by taking the character is a different direction.

This is why I'm just waiting to see what they officially announce, as all speculation does is confuse people and perpetuate unfounded speculations as facts which in turn creates unwarranted outrage. Now, if some of these speculations are true, then we'll all have a real reason to rage and boycott DC etc.

It's amazing how Marvel Studios elevated their B-Team to worldwide beloved characters.

Scrapping the current plans for WW3 doesn't mean they are getting rid of Gal Galdot nor does it mean that they won't do another WW film but by taking the character is a different direction.

This is why I'm just waiting to see what they officially announce, as all speculation does is confuse people and perpetuate unfounded speculations as facts which in turn creates unwarranted outrage. Now, if some of these speculations are true, then we'll all have a real reason to rage and boycott DC etc.

It's amazing how Marvel Studios elevated their B-Team to worldwide beloved characters.
It really is. And you are right. It’s just all this panicking on the internet lately lol. So many YouTube vids about this subject but there is no concrete proof. What a mess

And what's going to happen with Reeves' Batman movies? And the Joker sequel? Are those still going forward? Nothing makes sense, my brain hurts! :lol
Given how successful and critically acclaimed both films were, I'd be amazed if they were thrown by the wayside. WB is a business, after all.

I really don’t get all the doomsaying. Gunn’s tweets were pretty damn clear about his intentions. Keep the good, get rid of the ugly, and I really don’t understand where all the doubt’s coming from considering he could’ve easily taken something like The Suicide Squad and made a full reboot. It wouldn’t be difficult with that concept, yet, he kept Robbie, Courtney, Davis, and Kinneman in their respective roles. He used half of Snyder’s Justice League in Peacemaker, even if it was an irreverent appearance, he’s already made crystal clear where HIS entries into the DCU stand…

I also don’t think he’d go out of his way to tweet a picture of Ross’ Justice League along with his statement if he intended to make a DCU that focused on Ambush Bug and the Justice League International (even though I’d watch the hell out of a Justice League International sitcom). The fact is Wonder Woman 3 was in the works from Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns and both of them pulled a Bizzaro Midas Touch with WW84 (they turned solid gold into a steaming pile). I have my criticisms of Snyder, but he was always on point with his casting. Gadot embodies Wonder Woman in the same way Reeve did Superman and Cavill, though his potential was largely wasted, IS that potential. He is entirely capable of being a Superman that could stand shoulder to shoulder with Reeve under the right creative team. I just can’t see Gunn throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water if there’s a chance to salvage it.

That being said, I suspect Cavill is the “we haven’t decided if that’s true or not” Gunn referred to. If I was a betting man, I’d suspect it had less to do with Gunn and Safran not wanting him as Superman, though, and more to do with The Rock’s ex-wife being his Rep and Dwayne using that to try and start a coup to get his Black Adam vanity projects off the ground. All I know is James Gunn has yet to give me a reason not to trust his intuition and until he does, I’m sticking with him.

Given how successful and critically acclaimed both films were, I'd be amazed if they were thrown by the wayside. WB is a business, after all.
Someone should tell them that. They have failed to business for a while now.

I really don’t get all the doomsaying. Gunn’s tweets were pretty damn clear about his intentions. Keep the good, get rid of the ugly, and I really don’t understand where all the doubt’s coming from considering he could’ve easily taken something like The Suicide Squad and made a full reboot. It wouldn’t be difficult with that concept, yet, he kept Robbie, Courtney, Davis, and Kinneman in their respective roles. He used half of Snyder’s Justice League in Peacemaker, even if it was an irreverent appearance, he’s already made crystal clear where HIS entries into the DCU stand…

I also don’t think he’d go out of his way to tweet a picture of Ross’ Justice League along with his statement if he intended to make a DCU that focused on Ambush Bug and the Justice League International (even though I’d watch the hell out of a Justice League International sitcom). The fact is Wonder Woman 3 was in the works from Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns and both of them pulled a Bizzaro Midas Touch with WW84 (they turned solid gold into a steaming pile). I have my criticisms of Snyder, but he was always on point with his casting. Gadot embodies Wonder Woman in the same way Reeve did Superman and Cavill, though his potential was largely wasted, IS that potential. He is entirely capable of being a Superman that could stand shoulder to shoulder with Reeve under the right creative team. I just can’t see Gunn throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water if there’s a chance to salvage it.

That being said, I suspect Cavill is the “we haven’t decided if that’s true or not” Gunn referred to. If I was a betting man, I’d suspect it had less to do with Gunn and Safran not wanting him as Superman, though, and more to do with The Rock’s ex-wife being his Rep and Dwayne using that to try and start a coup to get his Black Adam vanity projects off the ground. All I know is James Gunn has yet to give me a reason not to trust his intuition and until he does, I’m sticking with him.
For me, it is Gunn having anything to do with it. Snyder or not, I would prefer my youngest has a shot at it over Gunn.

I’m confused. So there’s a meeting in a week where Gunn and Safran have to get approval for their plans from Zaslav, DeLuca, and Abdy? And DeLuca and Abdy don’t want what Gunn and Safran wants? So Zaslav will make the call then?

View attachment 611773
Pretty much like I saw it as well.

When I think about who would be in that meeting. i.e Zaslav, Gunn, Safran, DeLuca and Abdy. Then Deluca + Abdy would be against it so 2:2 against Gunn + Safran coming in with the plan, meaning Zaslav to potentially be the decider.

Therefore if Zaslav (and even Gunn + Safran) see the fandome outrage perhaps it's enough to reconsider their vote.

Certainly not the best way to do a test balloon for Gunn :lol :lol :lol

That being said, I suspect Cavill is the “we haven’t decided if that’s true or not” Gunn referred to. If I was a betting man, I’d suspect it had less to do with Gunn and Safran not wanting him as Superman, though, and more to do with The Rock’s ex-wife being his Rep and Dwayne using that to try and start a coup to get his Black Adam vanity projects off the ground. All I know is James Gunn has yet to give me a reason not to trust his intuition and until he does,

Everyone has their taste and opinion which I do sincerely respect, even when its different from mine. But its worth noting that James Gunn‘s TSS lost money for the studio—badly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...d-of-100-million-losers-club/?sh=342158c92e79
Parallel to this the Rock who was also vying for the gig Gunn got, despite his accountant (🤣) telling him Black Adam made money and somehow the standard 2.5x multiplier of the budget doesn’t apply to his film, also lost money with BA, although it almost broke even. And sure enough movies do continue to make money from other revenue streams. But when we talk about breaking even it’s in the context that ticket sales recoup the cost of making the film so that it can make a healthy profit through those other streams. (What the pros have told me on Twitter is that the standard $100M marketing costs are absorbed by investors.)

Anyway, it definitely looked like DeLuca was making decisions for the DCU until Gunn and Safran were hired. It was in the direction of bringing the actors back and building out from the Snyderverse foundation. I honestly have no idea how to judge how good a job Mike DeLuca has done over the years. His IMDb listing of movies he has produced is all over the map. Michael De Luca - IMDb

But right now I’d be trusting DeLuca more than Gunn. But again I obviously have a bias towards continuing with the current cast. So of course I’d see it that way!

Last edited:
Everyone has their taste and opinion which I do sincerely respect, even when its different from mine. But its worth noting that James Gunn‘s TSS lost money for the studio—badly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...d-of-100-million-losers-club/?sh=342158c92e79
Parallel to this the Rock who was also vying for the gig Gunn got, despite his accountant (🤣) telling him Black Adam made money and somehow the standard 2.5x multiplier of the budget doesn’t apply to his film, also lost money with BA, although it almost broke even. And sure enough movies do continue to make money from other revenue streams. But when we talk about breaking even it’s in the context that ticket sales recoup the cost of making the film so that it can make a healthy profit through those other streams. (What the pros have told me on Twitter is that the standard $100M marketing costs are absorbed by investors.)

Anyway, it definitely looked like DeLuca was making decisions for the DCU until Gunn and Safran were hired. It was in the direction of bringing the actors back and building out from the Snyderverse foundation. I honestly have no idea how to judge how good a job Mike DeLuca has done over the years. His IMDb listing of movies he has produced is all over the map. Michael De Luca - IMDb

But right now I’d be trusting DeLuca more than Gunn. But again I obviously have a bias towards continuing with the current cast. So of course I’d see it that way!
Yep as far as my knowledge goes DeLuca was clearly a Snyder guy. He was there as a producer I believe and got his Batman/Deathstroke project canned by Emmerich. So I'm sure he was all for continuing the Snyderverse on to a certain point.

But it's not like he's out. And he theoretically has more say than Gunn and Safron you'd think. However they also don't want to piss Gunn off at the beginning giving him no say.

In any case as we both summised above it'll probably all come down to Zaslav. With a bit of luck the fan outcry will force Gunn to rethink some of the stuff, give DeLuca + Abdy more ammunition and persuade Zaslav to listen to the fans !!

OK perhaps I'm the eternal optimist, but it could still go that way. At least if money is the issue then perhaps Zaslav can overrule any issues in that area.

Jury is still out for me. But very frustrating that we find ourselves in this non clear situation again.

I’d be willing to bet it will be a soft reboot. They’ll still use Cavill, Gadot, Mamoa, etc. Right now a full blown reboot just doesn’t make sense financially. Aquaman was one of their biggest money makers. We still have movies coming out from the old regime one of which Safran is producing. James Gunn is also working on peacemaker season 2 which is also part of the larger DCEU.
Agreed. I think the general public is still fully onboard with these actors (and it's hard to imagine anyone else right now that would fit the roles better than Cavill and Gadot), but are just waiting for them to get some much better writing.

Plus after getting multiple Batmen and Superman over the years, I'm not sure one more reboot with a whole new set of actors is suddenly going to instill a ton of confidence in people or change their opinion of DC.

Last edited:
You know it is a double edge sword at least for me. The Synderverse all in all is a mess. I like MOS, BvS UE is servicable with a terrible ending and the ZSJL is a mixed bag. Not bad, not good. I have seen it 3 times now. I loved it at the first viewing but it just doesn't hold up IMO. I never liked Momoa as Aquaman. He is okay but he is not the King of the sea. The movie itself is mediocre.

Affleck is also a mixed bag for me. He was great in BVS but in JL he wasn't like himself. He acted like a caricature of Batman. His acting was weird, and he looked terrible in the new suit. Gal Gadot not the best actress. She has the look but her acting is mediocre. First Wonder Woman movie was good, the second one is terrible. I liked Shazam. Not the best of the bunch but had heart and I enjoyed it.

MOS is the best movie of the DCEU. Cavil has charisma and I like him but because of WB he will be in his 40's in a few months. They wasted him. Flash is horrible all around. Cyborg was pretty good. And don't get me started on Black Adam which did more harm than good for the future movies which will come out next year.

The best movie all around counting from MOS is The Batman. Right now IMO reboot everything and change every actor. Make The Batman as a base for the new DCU which is a great starting point and a quality movie and build from there. I know some people will hate this at the beginning and will be opposed to that. I was in the same boat but everything is a mess. Sadly personally I don't think people care about DC anymore. At lest the general audience.

If they actually manage to make good movies with a total reboot I think People will be on board after a while. Make a Superman movie with a new and young actor, than a World's Finest movie where Pattinson and the new Superman meet and team up. Than The Batman 2 and build slowly towards JL. That would be the best IMO overall.

Last edited:
I think it all depends on whether they think giving the current characters a proper ending to their respective arcs, be it in a JL movie or with stand-alone films, is worth their while. If they think there's money to be had with another outing of Cavill, Gadot and Affleck they will go for it for sure, but if there is some doubt, they'll just prefer to bury the whole thing.

I feel like it’s a bit disingenuous to say a movie that was among the first wave to really hit on the tail end of a global pandemic, with an extremely hard-R rating and that was a direct follow-up to a now notorious box office bomb (it made money, but, to this day, Ayer/WB’s Suicide Squad is pretty widely reviled) lost the studio money when it opened simultaneously on WB’s streaming platform and was one of HBO Max’s most streamed DC films. Not to mention both it and Peacemaker were huge critical successes (the latter of which also hitting record numbers for HBO max during its release).

I just feel like Gunn has a distinctive understanding of the nuance of the medium he’s working in that Snyder, frankly, doesn’t. Guardians has its own distinctive flavor comparative to something like TSS and it works. I feel like I’ve said it before, but take something like Starro the Conqueror. This is a character that is utterly ridiculous and campy. And that’s by design because it was created in a time when comic books were utterly ridiculous and campy. Yet, Gunn managed to create a creature that was equal parts terrifying Cronenberg body horror and imbued with genuine pathos and he did it, and this is where he won me over, while being unapologetic about the fact that this thing is an utterly ridiculous, campy, over the top giant starfish.

Like you said, mileage may vary and there have been many interpretations since, but I can’t dissociate The Fourth World and the New Gods from Kirby. I just can’t. They’re arguably the most elaborate, fascinating creations to come from the mind of a man that brought us Captain America, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and so many more and I would easily say they’re his most personal. It’s Jack in his most uninhibited, pure form and that’s precisely why I can’t get behind Snyder’s depiction of that world as a whole. Because it’s an operatic melodrama and a biblical epic all rolled into one…but it’s also a comic book. Not just any comic book, but an unapologetically campy, over the top comic book that sprung forth from the pages of titles like Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen and The Forever People.

We saw Snyder’s Fourth World and it had the melodrama and the epic mythology, but it falls apart without the self-awareness for me. Some people would prefer they play it straight. Me? I think it requires too much suspension of disbelief for me to look at a primary antagonist whose moniker is literally Darkseid without it being played with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Gunn’s sensibilities match that to a T. He can go dark, he can go light, he can embrace the fact that one of the heroes of this story is a master escape artist whose name is Scot Free and I think that’s why I’m so much more excited to see what he does with it.

I should clarify that I don’t believe everything should be campy and, again, it all comes down to the characters. Matt Reeves’ Batman is arguably the darkest thing I’ve ever seen out of DC and it’s arguably the best depiction of comic Batman I’ve seen in live-action, in my opinion, but it would also be a terrible Superman movie to channel that same tone for that character. That’s what it feels like Snyder does and part of why I’m so critical of him is that I feel like he’s fundamentally misguided. The DNA of his DCEU is, by its very nature, an apologist’s take because all of his opinions, all of his conceptions and beliefs are rooted in the works of people like Alan Moore and Frank Miller. And, again, their seminal superhero work is rooted in that same apologism. Miller’s Batman is a quasi-fascistic ideologue he used to lampoon the jingoism and excesses of 1980s Reagan-era America and Watchmen is one, giant, scathing critique of how immature and ridiculous comic books are by casting familiar archetypes as impotent middle aged ornithologists and psychotic, unwashed hobos.

It’d be like if I said “I’m a huge Elvis fan and I want to make a movie about him,” but the only thing I knew about Elvis was Andy Kaufman’s impression he did on Johnny Carson. Might make for an interesting movie, but it’s not going to be the Elvis most people remember or even necessarily want to see and that’s a losing formula when you’re talking about billions of dollars worth of IP and a general public champing at the bit for a taste of something familiar.

Yea the snyderverse just doesn’t gel well with the GA and half of the fanbase. It was crazy to think they’d continue imo. But the actors were great aside from affleck. Hate old man Batman. Oh and get rid of leto too.

So now it's being reported that Jenkins walked out because she didn't want to rework her treatment for WW3 and Gadot is still believed to be WW.

I feel like it’s a bit disingenuous to say a movie that was among the first wave to really hit on the tail end of a global pandemic, with an extremely hard-R rating and that was a direct follow-up to a now notorious box office bomb (it made money, but, to this day, Ayer/WB’s Suicide Squad is pretty widely reviled) lost the studio money when it opened simultaneously on WB’s streaming platform and was one of HBO Max’s most streamed DC films. Not to mention both it and Peacemaker were huge critical successes (the latter of which also hitting record numbers for HBO max during its release).

A box office bomb means it didn't make money. SS wan't a bomb. It didn't review well but it wasn't a bomb, quite the opposite. It even outsold Civil War on home video.
The Conjuring 3 was an R-rated day and date release during COVID just like TSS (even earlier) was and that made more than TSS did. It made nearly 2/3's of what a Conjuring movie does. I personally haven't met anyone (not online) that liked TSS. We don't really know if either were some of the most streamed content, especially with Samba TV and WB lying about their success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back