EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still waiting on TWOK. Wasn’t Spock mentioned at the convention for September ? —-—- Disappointing—- Not even much conversation going on here in this thread recently.
Savik was up for preorder like a month ago. And there's still conversation daily. Most of its separated out to specific threads though.

After conducting an extensive review of their inventory, 1:6-scale Star Trek action figure company EXO-6 is planning a flash restock of long-sold-out releases found in the depths of their warehouse.

Many of EXO-6’s Star Trek figures, dating back to initial releases in 2021, will come back online for immedate purchase this Friday, November 24 at 12PM ET / 9AM PT in extremely limited quantities. Some figures might be numbered in the 100-piece range, while some others may have as few as 5 pieces available when Friday’s restock goes live.

After conducting an extensive review of their inventory, 1:6-scale Star Trek action figure company EXO-6 is planning a flash restock of long-sold-out releases found in the depths of their warehouse.

Many of EXO-6’s Star Trek figures, dating back to initial releases in 2021, will come back online for immedate purchase this Friday, November 24 at 12PM ET / 9AM PT in extremely limited quantities. Some figures might be numbered in the 100-piece range, while some others may have as few as 5 pieces available when Friday’s restock goes live.
Sounds like there may be a possibility of picking up FC Data and Picard for those who missed out. They should really publish the list of what’s up for grabs.

Still waiting on TWOK. Wasn’t Spock mentioned at the convention for September ? —-—- Disappointing—- Not even much conversation going on here in this thread recently.
Remember, this was in the May 30th newsletter:
1700624594704.png

Odo finally went up for preorder this month. It would seem that they can't meet their own preorder dates unless it's a Voyager figure.

The more I think about it, and the more I see the results of the Voyager figure drive, the more I think the theory I commented with a page or two back is correct. NT took the Trek series he was least sentimentally invested in and put it on an expedited production track in order to build up cash reserves for his more treasured lines.

That's not to say that these figures would not benefit from all the areas in which EXO excels (tailoring, engineering creativity, personalized body types, etc.) but the really expensive talent sits squarely in the sculpting and (even more so) the paintwork areas of the production line.

It almost feels like EXO is doing a REVERSE Star Ace strategy.

For those not familiar with Star Ace, the short(ish) version is they obtained and very lucrative 1/6 figure license with their Harry Potter line. They invested heavily in sculpt/paint talent early and produced some very good to superb figures. But they also gambled on making their HP line in film release order, and there was much less interest in many of those releases as compared to the older versions of the HP Big Three and popular supporting characters.

So, Star Ace's folly was that they invested in top tier talent/production time to produce figures that were not nearly as popular as the ones everyone knew they would not get to for potentially years. The result was that their revenue dried up at a catastrophic rate, and then, by the time they actually got to the later films, they had no reserves available to pay for top talent and longer production times associated with more detailed finish and paint work.

I'm sure you can see where we're headed with this....

All evidence suggests that NT has decided on the reverse of this scenario in order to avoid Star Ace's fate. So, he culls us along with decent but perhaps unremarkable releases at (relatively speaking) bargain prices to feed our Trek thirst (and the ever-present collectors addiction, of course...) using Voyager as a test balloon. I'll also note that along the way he throws in some truly top-shelf stuff as well letting us know what the company is truly capable of!

But it's a brand new company, and this time NT is Top Dog, so he is the author of all of the strategic moves. And a brand new company needs working capital above all else.

So, he constructs a lightning-fast production process for Voyager, happily collects our money and builds the reserves for the main course! So, by the time we go into high gear on TWOK, TNG, and TOS, he has (hopefully) an impressive bank account and the ability to slow down the production line a bit to put in some time for detailed sculpting and painting, and the funds necessary to put the best people on both tasks.

So, where Star Ace put all the money into their production up front when they were producing off-peak figures in terms on customer demand, EXO is doing the opposite! So, when the top-tier figures begin to be produced, NT will be sitting on a GOLD MINE where his very best figures in terms of overall quality are also the ones with universal and STRATOSPHEREIC demand! Can you imagine!?

If this is really where NT is going with this endeavor, he is driving toward the ultimate set of circumstances any business owner could dream of. And I'd be willing to bet that seeing this dream through and getting these figures into the hands of Trek fans worldwide (including his own) is worth even more than the financial rewards he and his team will create if all this comes to pass.

Shall See.... 🤞

@S. Griffin

Remember, this was in the May 30th newsletter:
View attachment 675015
Odo finally went up for preorder this month. It would seem that they can't meet their own preorder dates unless it's a Voyager figure.
I think you're forgetting this one...
347743-20AA47FB-11D5-4EBA-8008-154371C17D3C.jpeg

Winter 2021 became Summer 2022. EXO-6 advertising hype with unfeasible release dates do not exclude Voyager releases.

The more I think about it, and the more I see the results of the Voyager figure drive, the more I think the theory I commented with a page or two back is correct. NT took the Trek series he was least sentimentally invested in and put it on an expedited production track in order to build up cash reserves for his more treasured lines.

That's not to say that these figures would not benefit from all the areas in which EXO excels (tailoring, engineering creativity, personalized body types, etc.) but the really expensive talent sits squarely in the sculpting and (even more so) the paintwork areas of the production line.

It almost feels like EXO is doing a REVERSE Star Ace strategy.

For those not familiar with Star Ace, the short(ish) version is they obtained and very lucrative 1/6 figure license with their Harry Potter line. They invested heavily in sculpt/paint talent early and produced some very good to superb figures. But they also gambled on making their HP line in film release order, and there was much less interest in many of those releases as compared to the older versions of the HP Big Three and popular supporting characters.

So, Star Ace's folly was that they invested in top tier talent/production time to produce figures that were not nearly as popular as the ones everyone knew they would not get to for potentially years. The result was that their revenue dried up at a catastrophic rate, and then, by the time they actually got to the later films, they had no reserves available to pay for top talent and longer production times associated with more detailed finish and paint work.

I'm sure you can see where we're headed with this....

All evidence suggests that NT has decided on the reverse of this scenario in order to avoid Star Ace's fate. So, he culls us along with decent but perhaps unremarkable releases at (relatively speaking) bargain prices to feed our Trek thirst (and the ever-present collectors addiction, of course...) using Voyager as a test balloon. I'll also note that along the way he throws in some truly top-shelf stuff as well letting us know what the company is truly capable of!

But it's a brand new company, and this time NT is Top Dog, so he is the author of all of the strategic moves. And a brand new company needs working capital above all else.

So, he constructs a lightning-fast production process for Voyager, happily collects our money and builds the reserves for the main course! So, by the time we go into high gear on TWOK, TNG, and TOS, he has (hopefully) an impressive bank account and the ability to slow down the production line a bit to put in some time for detailed sculpting and painting, and the funds necessary to put the best people on both tasks.

So, where Star Ace put all the money into their production up front when they were producing off-peak figures in terms on customer demand, EXO is doing the opposite! So, when the top-tier figures begin to be produced, NT will be sitting on a GOLD MINE where his very best figures in terms of overall quality are also the ones with universal and STRATOSPHEREIC demand! Can you imagine!?

If this is really where NT is going with this endeavor, he is driving toward the ultimate set of circumstances any business owner could dream of. And I'd be willing to bet that seeing this dream through and getting these figures into the hands of Trek fans worldwide (including his own) is worth even more than the financial rewards he and his team will create if all this comes to pass.

Shall See.... 🤞

@S. Griffin
Great post. I'll give you credit for writing that, not that other person for anything.

This discussion was getting somewhat heated a couple of months ago when some collectors expressed their frustration with EXO-6's releases and hurled some real tough criticism of the company's handling of the Star Trek license. I did suggest the same at the time: that the Voyager line is now clearly illustrating how EXO-6 has mapped out a larger longterm approach to sustaining the license. Not profitability alone, but perhaps merely sustaining everything to keep the Star Trek project safe from falling apart. It didn't make sense to me about 3 years ago, but seeing a Voyager line come together and in the hands of enthused collectors (that's not me, by the way) I can see how the same will play out for DS-9 next, TNG, TOS, TWOK and any other ST show/movie they choose to work on. Star Trek collectors just need to be patient now, because there is some planning and logic to all of this madness, despite the fact that it may seem unsatisfactory or unappealing to our collecting instincts and desires.

I don't think EXO-6 is banking a huge amount of capital so much as they're maintaining sustainability and viability. They're a new company and function as a very small player in this industry/market. Small and also extremely niche with no diversity in their portfolio. This is a player that's sitting on a huge and staggering license that also turns out to be relatively unsellable to anyone other than niche Star Trek fans. There are no casual buyers here! It might not seem that way to "us" fans who are on this topic, but the Star Trek market is surprisingly very small and has historically been prone to failure when other companies tried it. EXO-6 may have made some missteps along the way, but that's to be expected and seems like an expense line they can endure. The trick is for EXO-6 to not go bankrupt or be shut down and lose the license along the way. They are answerable to their license holder. I believe they're just staying afloat and doing that long enough to fulfill this passion project.

This discussion was getting somewhat heated a couple of months ago when some collectors expressed their frustration with EXO-6's releases and hurled some real tough criticism of the company's handling of the Star Trek license . . .

Totally understand & agree.

But the thing is (and this has always been true, but is PARTICULARLY true since the site revamp & staff tweaks), folks here are INCREDIBLY reasonable, and (excluding the likes of myself) grown-up and pleasant to share the site with.

Doesn't matter if we disagree on some points - we all tend to handle things in a responsible & respectful manner - I like this place :) :family

Nanjin pretty much said he was using Voyager to train his staff while he was here.

No, the rest of the dudes crew hardly had a phaser on hand. They will be more like barebone figures. Pricing of course will be done accordingly.

Tuvok is a security officers, and he is one of the top 4 characters among diehard VOY fans, he needs a phaser rifle. I am not including the pulse rifle but a Type 3b because they did used them, especially with the Borg. To coincide with VOY series only fans, this rifle is important to have, and also linked to the up coming Borg releases.

VOY top 3 characters were Janeway, 7, and EMH. If those who only want these 3, then a Type 3b would be out of place. Janeway and Seven needs more common items beside identical comm patches to visually feel as a team/crew/family. Seven will have a Pulse Rifle.

If VOY collection continues to do well, a new Janeway is obvious, and of course must be drastically different from our original Janeway. 99.9999% will be the 2 pieces uniform. With a 2 pieces uniform, we can have a serious looking bugs killing Ripley Janeway in tank top holding a Type 3b. Don't forget after all these productions, improvements in production paintups should become a natural progress. With the way I train them, is almost impossible to NOT have improvements. Yes. The sequence of my releases is a production training process to increase qualities and efficencies. Results are obvious.

1700835098963.jpeg

https://blog.trekcore.com/2023/11/exo-6-announces-flash-restock-of-sold-out-star-trek-figures/
“After conducting an extensive review of their inventory, 1:6-scale Star Trek action figure company EXO-6 is planning a flash restock of long-sold-out releases found in the depths of their warehouse.

Previously sold out in their initial runs, the flash restock will include Captain Janeway and Tuvok from Star Trek: Voyager, Quark from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Shran from Star Trek: Enterprise, Captain Picard from Star Trek: First Contact — and his Locutus of Borg alter-ego from “The Best of Both Worlds.”

Also included will be the Star Trek: The Motion Picture versions of Admiral James T. Kirk and Science Officer Spock, both of which sold out extremely quickly when first put up for sale in 2022.

While this will kick off on Black Friday, this isn’t a sale — there are no discounts from the figures’ original retail pricing — but this is the last chance for collectors to nab these no-longer-produced characters.”

No real surprises other than TMP and FC Picard.

Seems like TNG Data, Old Man Picard, and Kira are all going to be shipping out in 2 weeks according to the latest email.

Good thing that restock was a bust for me, I guess.

Back