EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But according to Disco canon Michael Burnham (Spock's sister) was always there from the go, in fact she is the reason Spock was such a great character, it's only thanks to her, Spock is who he is, and she retroactivly is, and has always been the greatest influence and reason Trek is great, was and will always be, past, present and now future, all thanks to her!:lol

Hence TOS 55th Anniversary figure is likely her.
Ahh, the joys of RETCON, eh?

Is this the new Playmates? Love to have a chat with the person responsible for.trek. View attachment 537718
It is odd they would at the same time as yours, grant a similar licence to what is at this scale essentially a competitor for your line, (although a slight different scale, I would understand an all-molded 3.75" or 6" , even a clothed costume mego like 8" line being justified as different enough.
But at 14" and clothed, this cuts awfully close.

Did your licencing agreement not include exclusive rights to produce costumed figures at or near the 12" scale.

This seems to cut into and compete with your licensed line, and brand.

And worse, it may have the effect of watering down, or what they call "genericization" of your brand (while nobody here would be fooled) the general audience might not distinguish, and associate these which will be more cheaply factory churned out, with what you are putting out. Thus lessening or eroding the value of your unique brand.

I' hope your lawyer looks into this.

Last edited:
It is odd they would at the same time as yours, grant a similar licence to what is at this scale essentially a competitor for your line, (although a slight different scale, I would understand an all-molded 3.75" or 6" , even a clothed costume mego like 8" line being justified as different enough.
But at 14" and clothed, this cuts awfully close.

Did your licencing agreement not include exclusive rights to produce costumed figures at or near the 12" scale.

This seems to cut into and compete with your licensed line, and brand.

And worse, it may have the effect of watering down your brand (while nobody here would be fooled) the general audience might not distinguish, and associate these which will be more cheaply factory churned out, with what you are putting out. Thus lessening the value of your brand.

I' hope your lawyer looks into this.

Pretty sure nanjin isn’t bothered by a $40 toy. And if anything, Mego had Star Trek rights first. Maybe they should lawyer up to shut down EXO-6.

...if anything, Mego had Star Trek rights first. Maybe they should lawyer up to shut down EXO-6.

I'm no expert, just wondering if it's something to look into.

It's not about who had it first as you say, but who has the current rights to produce, and licensing contracts distinguishing between different types of figures and scale, so there is no overlap. If someone is putting out a similar but lesser product at the same time, there is not just competition, but more importantly potential brand erosion.
Sure here among us it strengthens EXO-6 brand since to us these are obviously two different markets, Playmates antics, just vindicates how superior EXO-6 is. To a more casual gen audience however in ordering they may conflate the two, hence contracts distinguish so there is absolutely no overlap.
Is this the new Playmates? Love to have a chat with the person responsible for.trek. View attachment 537718
I am curious why?
If you do, would love to know what they say. If the wording "high-end collectibles" vs "mass market" or the slight scale difference is used to justify it?

Last edited:
You’re missing the forest from the trees because you know some minutia about contracts.

Hot Toys has been making MCU and Star Wars 1/6 scale figures for years. The 12” $20 5 POA things that Hasbro mass produces for either IP has never once been conflated by the general audience.

The particular exception in the contract that allows the two different products to exist is really irrelevant. It might be that Nanjin has a 1/6 license and a 14” Mego is clearly not in 1/6 scale. It might be that Mego is called a toy but EXO-6 has the contract for adult museum-quality collectible. It might be both. We don‘t know how it reads.

Now if QMx started announcing new 1/6 Trek figures, then you have something to fight. But the suggestion that nanjin have a lawyer take a look at Mego is patently absurd. Different companies legally have different realms of merchandising to play with all over the toy industry.

Last edited:
Sometimes, we don't need to ask why because the end result tells all.

Thats a reason why Trek merchandise was so successful with crappy merchandise in the 70s, and failed most of the time thereafter except the mass producers.

I myself thinks this is an opportunity for EXO-6 to standout. When there are no tall people, there's no short people.

Playmates go for Wallmart, pricing and distribution conflict with handcraft qualities merchandise. There shouldn't be an issue in confusing the quality and level between Playmates and EXO-6.

I don't have exclusive license for 1/6, ViacomCBS can give it to anyone. This is not a wise choice of action and I think they know.

It is still essential for us to differentiate ourselves from closely resembled products as taught by Marketing 101.

We are doing that which is quit successful.

I don't think anyone who are watching EXO-6 would see us like any other producer. Most should see us differently (I hope)

Playmates & EXO-6 are oil & water. Hardly going to clash in the collecting world.
Anyway don't Sideshow & Hot Toys both produce 1/6th Star Wars and those lines have run side by side for years

Last edited:
Nanjin can I just say, it's your fault I'm now bored with all other companies 1/6th figures. I once had almost 50 figures from HT, Asmus, Threezero & 3rd party. Now I'm down to 14 and planning to sell all but two of them (Han & Chewbacca if you're interested).
I am now totally under EXO-6 sway...Resistance truly is futile

Nanjin can I just say, it's your fault I'm now bored with all other companies 1/6th figures. I once had almost 50 figures from HT, Asmus, Threezero & 3rd party. Now I'm down to 14 and planning to sell all but two of them (Han & Chewbacca if you're interested).
I am now totally under EXO-6 sway...Resistance truly is futile
Outside of still actively collecting Asmus’ LOTR and an odd figure or two I am right there with you.

Back