EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20-30 releases this year alone. So much for getting any other IP figure wise this year. I'm going to have to sell some of my non Trek figures just to clear out more room.

Possibly 30 releases this year if all goes to plan! :eek:

WeeklyTrek Interview Special — Talking Sixth-Scale STAR TREK Figures with EXO-6’s David Stephan

6 min mark:

https://blog.trekcore.com/2023/01/w...XUY7BJRTrwBevccvsB94ZpKktIXygSCrzyElXw51uy3fc

A MASSIVE thank-you from me for posting this :clap :clap :clap

My avatar gives away my fave franchise, but the quality of these EXO-6 releases and my love for TOS and DS9 in particular have combined to make me so grateful for what is being released.

This was without doubt the most interesting and informative 40 minutes of interview/discussion between a fan and producer that I have ever listened to.

For anyone that hasn't listened to it - I wholeheartedly recommend you do!

And BTW - did David say they have about 74 figures ultimately in mind / in the works? :horror

For those of us that haven’t had a chance to listen yet is there any specifics are far as the releases go that you can share? Any word on when TWOK, TOS or TNG crews might start showing up?

Anyone else notice the nagging realization that every toy and collectibles company is now actively trying to get you to collect their products exclusively? Imo this is TOO much too fast. Get an extension on the license. Or something. In this case even the normally great thought of a quick turnaround from announcement to shipping to having in-hand is working against anyone who collects multiple licenses. Or is not Bill Gates rich.

Anyone else notice the nagging realization that every toy and collectibles company is now actively trying to get you to collect their products exclusively? Imo this is TOO much too fast. Get an extension on the license. Or something. In this case even the normally great thought of a quick turnaround from announcement to shipping to having in-hand is working against anyone who collects multiple licenses. Or is not Bill Gates rich.
The podcast explains their logic. It was quite eye-opening and they do it to keep their own factory running, not to make collectors exclusive to them. That's not why they're doing it, but it is why Nanjin bangs on about only running for 5 years. He's keeping his paid factory workers working constantly to cover overheads. The random releases now make sense. So lots of figures released quickly is for them to stay afloat and pay for the factory and employees. If some collectors (or many) can't afford to keep up, or not buy them at all, that's their loss and it won't affect EXO-6's business model.

That's interesting but of course most collectors won't care. I'm all for supporting small business and keeping people employed; but I really do think this has a very real potential of winding up biting them in the butt as more and more will see holes in their collections and decide to drop the line. It's happened countless times before in other collections, leaving a bitter taste that lasts years. Now that might not matter to Nanjin as he may see this as more a "bucket list" he's checking boxes rather than a longterm business model. And if that is indeed the case, probably better to accept the near inevitable fact and just buy your favorites or skip the whole thing. After seeing this schedule I may just drop down to TWOK and call it done. No way in hell I'll be able to keep up with the current projected schedule. This is like if Mezco actually released things on time or ahead of schedule. Just not possible.

The podcast explains their logic. It was quite eye-opening and they do it to keep their own factory running, not to make collectors exclusive to them. That's not why they're doing it, but it is why Nanjin bangs on about only running for 5 years. He's keeping his paid factory workers working constantly to cover overheads. The random releases now make sense. So lots of figures released quickly is for them to stay afloat and pay for the factory and employees. If some collectors (or many) can't afford to keep up, or not buy them at all, that's their loss and it won't affect EXO-6's business model.

Yeah - makes perfect sense to me.

The way they are splitting things up really helps anyone cherry-picking fave shows (will be EVERY TOS & DS9 release for me).

To be fair Nanjin from the beginning has stated, buy those that mean the most to you. Unfortunately for me (and I imagine a fair few others) that's everything from TOS to Ent.
Ultimately if you can't keep up, there's always the secondary market. Say you miss out on Sulu & McCoy during the EXO-6 production phase, once that's over & there are no new figures coming out, you can have fun tracking them down. Either landing a bargain or paying more than retail at a time no new Trek figures are coming out

That's interesting but of course most collectors won't care. I'm all for supporting small business and keeping people employed; but I really do think this has a very real potential of winding up biting them in the butt as more and more will see holes in their collections and decide to drop the line. It's happened countless times before in other collections, leaving a bitter taste that lasts years. Now that might not matter to Nanjin as he may see this as more a "bucket list" he's checking boxes rather than a longterm business model. And if that is indeed the case, probably better to accept the near inevitable fact and just buy your favorites or skip the whole thing. After seeing this schedule I may just drop down to TWOK and call it done. No way in hell I'll be able to keep up with the current projected schedule. This is like if Mezco actually released things on time or ahead of schedule. Just not possible.
I'm not condoning the way he's doing it, as I think it's the wrong approach for maximum return, but Nanjin is fond of saying he's not doing it for profit. And it's not about what "most collectors" think (although, you can't speak for anyone but yourself), and supporting a small business? Why? That's missing the point of what he's doing. Nanjin is looking out for himself and his staff. He won't care much about a bitter taste in a few grumpy people's mouths either because it's only a 5-year company. He's making the highest quality Trek figures for the best cost because it's his passion.

So, yep, buy what bucket list items you can, when you can.

But I now understand WHY he's doing it that way, which I didn't until the podcast. He's running a business and will do what he thinks best. Remember, Nanjin learned from QMX's failure, so won't want to repeat it. Every business is complicated, so he's not going to share all his reasionings. If he worked to only please collectors (impossible task) he'd go bankrupt.

That's just the thing though. If he's truly looking out for his "business" and his staff, he'd be very wise not to inconvenience at best/tick off at worst the people buying his products. Excellent product is only part of the equation, and while it's true you'll never please all collectors, we're not talking rocket science here in basic collecting etiquette. If a majority of buyers can't afford to collect the basic product, minus any insanely limited or exclusives, there's a problem. He's not the first to think this way though, nor will he be the last. But it's not a sustainable business model. Which as you said, doesn't really seem to be his main goal anyway with the whole 5 years plan. So the "looking out for business" argument is almost completely a non factor, and perhaps it's best to say he's looking out for himself and his staff only, and consider this more of a "hobby with rewards" for him. That might deflect some of the potential bad rep this plan might generate.

He's pissed off a lot of people with Kirk's availability and Spock arriving with two left feet.

Plus advertising that some people are getting free figures looks bad.

He's pissed off a lot of people with Kirk's availability and Spock arriving with two left feet.

Plus advertising that some people are getting free figures looks bad.
Spock with two left feet? Literally? The whole batch or a few qc complaints? I did grab Spock (through Sideshow) so if there's not replacements be good to know! Hopefully this is a one time thing. People are having enough headaches with Mondo and Mezco right now.

Back