EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope these future plans don’t involve $400 figures, or I’m out. Hard to tell half the time off posts like this.

Attachments

• 279A5F0A-F666-4068-95AC-E46BE72B2D3A.jpeg
    279A5F0A-F666-4068-95AC-E46BE72B2D3A.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
My translation skills may be rusty, but I think he is just saying that the EXO-6 manufacturing format precludes the amount of labor involved in creating comparably detailed figures, so they would not be heading in that direction.

So far, the Trek figures have been, for the most part, very well done and in my opinion, just those teased figures with "rooted" hair would benefit from a finer, better implemented hair detailing.

Any development that improves EXO 6 that justifies an increase is fine with me. We are not collecting Sideshow figures from 2005 anymore…yet companies for example, like Sideshow currently think we are, charging the prices that they do! Magnetic fore arm attachment, improvement in rooted hair, painting etc will justify price increases IF they can pull it off with consistency!

Part of the allure behind exo-6 is the price point and the “bang for your buck” factor that comes with it. I’m not sure what he’s getting at but a $400 price point could likely have a negative impact on sales and the customer base will become far more selective with their purchases.

They’ve already shown that they can nail the details (e.g. Sulu, Saru, Locutus) at a price that no one else can touch, as the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” IMO.

The Inart figures look incredible and I've got a few of them ordered, but I don't really need every figure I own to be of that extreme quality. And for me these Trek figures do the job perfectly well (with the exception of a few sculpts here and there that could be better).

Last edited:
He's just comparing himself to other companies. He does it every time Hot Toys puts something up for preorder and I'm so bored of it.
I try to ignore all those types of posts or take them with a bucket of salt. It's his page and he can say what he wants, but he likes to grandstand and make a few wild claims from time-to-time. You're right though, everytime a figure is talked about or admired, he'll say he can match it. I don't belive EXO-6 could equal Inart's incredible team, even with $400+ thrown at each figure. Anyway, I'm more than happy with the price vs quality EXO-6 is producing, flat paint not withstanding.

I think he does it to fill content because he doesn't have a new figure ready. The same figures are shown over and over again with the odd tease of a new one.

At least HT shows new stuff only when it's ready, as frustrating as weeks of radio silence can be in between sometimes.

I wouldn't say Exo-6 is especially cheap, at least not if you're ordering from overseas. Personally speaking I have to think of the cost of the figure, plus the shipping (which is usually around 40-50 €) and then taxes. They vary from place to place, but for me they're around 35% plus whatever commission the customs office gets. So if Kirk and Spock cost, say, 220$/€ (they're about equal these days) each, plus 40€ for the shipping, and another ~120€ for the taxes (I paid 60€ for a 140€ package just last month, and that was books, so something marked as a toy would be higher), and the average Exo-6 figure comes to ~400€. That's more than the HT Mando Luke I got from a local shop (320€ with VAT/taxes and shipping included), DamToys Godfather (around 340€ IIRC) and actually more than any HT if I order it from Kit, where I bypass taxes. It'd cost me as much as a standard InArt Aragorn or just ~100€ less than a rooted one, always ordered from Kit's.

So yeah, technically Exo-6 is providing pretty good figures for a neglected property at good prices, but in a Post-Covid world and for people on the other side of the world, they're actually pricier than other offerings. And while it is a plus, the very fast TOAs mean I have to gather half a grand in a relatively short amount of time. For someone like me who's on the younger side and has a lot of things going on, I can either PO an HT/IA, pay less/the same as an E6, and spread out the payments over a 1-2 year period through installments, or set aside roughly half a grand per figure in these unstable times. With the same cash I'd spend on the two E6 Trek figures I wanted for this year, I'll be able to get 3 HTs to finish lines I've already started, or 2 rooted IAs, more or less. I can't justify these prices for this product.

I'm not here to knock on E6 or anything, but even though I had TWOK Kirk & Spock in my list ever since I got news of this undertaking, I'll probably have to drop them since they're coming out this year, and with IA in the game, things have changed. The E6 model has its pros, but I'd also say it has its cons too. Maybe I'll have better luck when they get to Kelvin Kirk & Spock, but personally I think that it's more likely that I'll wait it out and see what happens if another, bigger company picks up the license. Maybe InArt for the JJ flicks, maybe someone else, I don't know. But while this model might work for Trek uberfans who are focusing on it, for more casual collectors of the line it's a hassle, and personally I'd prefer the way others do it. I'd take an increase in price but a wider distribution network so that I'll have more options, and more refined offerings at the expense of all the D-Listers and the faster delivery times.

Again, not knocking on anything, we can't all get everything, choices must be made. I'm just offering my 2 cents as an "outsider" in this case on the whole contrast with the two major brands.

I know it is slight off-topic, but where would a US buyer order a Queen Studios InArt figure?
OneSixthKit. Free shipping, no taxes, and if you're into it, installments. I think KGHobby offers a similar service, but I've never ordered from there. You'd get better answers asking in one of the IA threads, like the Aragorn one that has heavy traffic ATM.

Last edited:
I think he does it to fill content because he doesn't have a new figure ready. The same figures are shown over and over again with the odd tease of a new one.

At least HT shows new stuff only when it's ready, as frustrating as weeks of radio silence can be in between sometimes.
I think people forget that he's just as much of a nerdy Trek fan as the rest of us, and clearly enjoys showing all the progress and getting people hyped and excited about the cool upcoming figures they're working on. Just like any of us probably would if we were in his shoes.

This is still a super small operation so there's no reason he needs to act like a Howard Chan who's in charge of a behemoth like HT, and I don't understand why people would prefer that he did.

HT seem to be stepping up across the board since last month, between PT heavy hitters being announced and also announcing license plans for the year already.

I just want Indy this year above everything else.

Good interview with David Stephan ( who ?) . Answers clearly stated. Interesting ( and pretty clear) teases. Better understanding of timelines and explanations not given cryptically.

Good interview with David Stephan ( who ?) . Answers clearly stated. Interesting ( and pretty clear) teases. Better understanding of timelines and explanations not given cryptically.
Darklord Dave who used to own this forum.

Back