EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting —- EXO-6 sells direct to each of us individual private collectors. EXO-6 then also sells to Sideshow. Sideshow then supplies Cotswold ( amongst others I guess) . So under that circumstance the product travels through two more … uh additional steps (or … companies) . Each of those companies have to get their cut —- yet the price is essentially the same for us regardless of going direct or through two additional steps.
I was trying to get a handle on what the supply ( or demand) was for TMP Kirk and asked Cotswold via email not expecting the answer I got prior to the reveal here in this forum. I got a nicely composed answer explaining what’s since been explained here in this forum. The bottom line answer is they got 33 orders.

Interesting —- EXO-6 sells direct to each of us individual private collectors. EXO-6 then also sells to Sideshow. Sideshow then supplies Cotswold ( amongst others I guess) . So under that circumstance the product travels through two more … uh additional steps (or … companies) . Each of those companies have to get their cut —- yet the price is essentially the same for us regardless of going direct or through two additional steps.
It's standard practice for a manufacturer who also supply customers directly to sell at RRP. This stops the retailers from being annoyed about competition and having consumers bypass them. Some people will always prefer to use a retailer in their own country in case there's a problem.

My favorite Trek aficionado Robert Meyer Burnett has watched ALL episodes of Picard season 3 and has given it his highest praise. If you've ever watched his rants about his ultimate dislike of Trek under the Kurtzman era, you can't help but agree with his valid arguments. The man knows his stuff. I believe Picard season 3 will finally be what TNG fans have been waiting for. Naysayers be damned. Feb. 16, 2023 can't come soon enough.
RMB is why I’m giving season 3 a chance.

It's standard practice for a manufacturer who also supply customers directly to sell at RRP. This stops the retailers from being annoyed about competition and having consumers bypass them. Some people will always prefer to use a retailer in their own country in case there's a problem.
I certainly see a consumer preferring a level of security from a retailer within his own national borders. But here we have a third rung on the ladder. Sideshow becomes a distributor of sorts within US. And still at every rung the same price is presented to the consumer. Obviously there is a cost to manufacture each figure. Obviously each rung is expected to make a profit. Obviously purchasing in bulk gets you a break. But how much of a break or how much of a profit can each rung get/make ?

My favorite Trek aficionado Robert Meyer Burnett has watched ALL episodes of Picard season 3 and has given it his highest praise. If you've ever watched his rants about his ultimate dislike of Trek under the Kurtzman era, you can't help but agree with his valid arguments. The man knows his stuff. I believe Picard season 3 will finally be what TNG fans have been waiting for. Naysayers be damned. Feb. 16, 2023 can't come soon enough.
He's always come across to me as too much of an inflexible curmudgeon when it comes to newer Trek (acting like Trek should only be written one particular way), but I can't deny he did make some good points about the first two seasons of Picard, so the fact he seems to love the third season so much better does make me hopeful.

Last edited:
I certainly see a consumer preferring a level of security from a retailer within his own national borders. But here we have a third rung on the ladder. Sideshow becomes a distributor of sorts within US. And still at every rung the same price is presented to the consumer. Obviously there is a cost to manufacture each figure. Obviously each rung is expected to make a profit. Obviously purchasing in bulk gets you a break. But how much of a break or how much of a profit can each rung get/make ?
I'm not sure I get your point. RRP is set by Nanjin. A retailer either chooses to stick to that or not.

Sideshow will likely get the figure at say 50% retail, Cotswolds get it at say 30% from them. Meaning that any Sideshow sell to retailers, they'd make 20%, the ones they sell direct, they get 50%. It might only be 30% + 15%. Only Sideshow and Nanjin will know.

Case in point, BCS in the UK are selling TMP Kirk at around $343 - almost double retail. Side note: They're still up for pre-order, so no idea where they're getting them from. Anyway, perhaps they buy from Sideshow and import them. 20% VAT would then eat into the 30% RRP they are supposed to mark them up by.

I know Star Ace HP figures were manufactured for under fifty bucks a pop and retailed for four times that.

Case in point, BCS in the UK are selling TMP Kirk at around $343 - almost double retail. Side note: They're still up for pre-order, so no idea where they're getting them from. Anyway, perhaps they buy from Sideshow and import them. 20% VAT would then eat into the 30% RRP they are supposed to mark them up by.
For the most part in the UK we normally simply to a $ sign turned into a £ and call it a day (least it seems that way sometimes. BCS seem to have been rather strange with their pricing with Exo-6 as the First Contact chair was too really high priced… much more than the difference between Hot Toys with other UK based retailers.

Assuming it’s stock they already have incoming and just haven’t sold, maybe one day someone will grab one in a sale (hopefully before the after market price starts to rise… ignoring the scalpers who were selling them the day after Nanjin made them available)

For the most part in the UK we normally simply to a $ sign turned into a £ and call it a day (least it seems that way sometimes. BCS seem to have been rather strange with their pricing with Exo-6 as the First Contact chair was too really high priced… much more than the difference between Hot Toys with other UK based retailers.

Assuming it’s stock they already have incoming and just haven’t sold, maybe one day someone will grab one in a sale (hopefully before the after market price starts to rise… ignoring the scalpers who were selling them the day after Nanjin made them available)
Like I say, I bet BCS dealt with Sideshow, same as CDUK because PAF seem to have UK exclusivity. But that’s my assumption. I think the straight $ to £ has long gone since pound the tanked and VAT increased to 20%

He's always come across to me as too much of an inflexible curmudgeon when it comes to newer Trek (acting like Trek should only be written one particular way), but I can't deny he did make some good points about the first two seasons of Picard, so the fact he seems to love the third season so much better does make me hopeful.
But my favorite still has to be the people who somehow walk around with the incorrect belief that “NO ONE” can possibly enjoy the Paramount Plus Star Trek shows just because they don’t. Foolish…to be frank.
I can’t imagine enjoying the Star Wars sequel movies myself, for example, but I’m not dim enough to assume that no one else does just because I don’t.
Even worse, I can’t imagine being upset about someone else enjoying them just because I don’t…how in the world does that possibly affect me in any way?

I'm not sure I get your point. RRP is set by Nanjin. A retailer either chooses to stick to that or not.

Sideshow will likely get the figure at say 50% retail, Cotswolds get it at say 30% from them. Meaning that any Sideshow sell to retailers, they'd make 20%, the ones they sell direct, they get 50%. It might only be 30% + 15%. Only Sideshow and Nanjin will know.

I know Star Ace HP figures were manufactured for under fifty bucks a pop and retailed for four times that.
I wasn’t making a point. I was asking a question. You have essentially answered it.

Just spoke to someone at Popcultcha who couldn't shed any light on the situation but said an item would be removed from their site immediately if they were notified it couldn't be supplied.

If December 15 is a deadline we'll see what happens on their site after that (and of course if we get a formal cancellation email).

🖖 "𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘨𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦, 𝘚𝘤𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘺."

The Admiral has arrived in Australia!

IMG_20221212_194223.png

Back