EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Cannon” has always been a subject of discussion amongst Trek fans. Especially when discussing the many novels out there as well as TAS. Of course TOS ( and many of the tv series of its time) was never really consistent.

I guess that could kind of work for everything we've seen up to this point, but once SNW introduces their James Kirk with a very different backstory to the Chris Pine version (who didn't have a brother and lost his father to the Romulans), I don't see how that would work any longer.
No…I’m surprised that so few people seem to understand how the Kelvin timeline works…
It’s all Canon without any rebooting or retconning.
We had Star Trek X - which was Nemesis…and Star Trek (first Abrams film) is, for all intents and purposes, Star Trek XI, acting as a chronological sequel to Nemesis, where we see that in the TNG timeline, subsequent to the events of Nemesis, Nero travels back in time, creates an alternate timeline, and the rest of the Kelvin films pick up from there…
basically as sequels to TNG set in an alternate past.
Even though BTTF is mostly set in the 1950s and BTTF III is set in the 1800s, BTTF III is still a sequel, just a sequel set in an earlier point in time.
SNW is a canonical prequel set before the events of Kelvin in the “prime” timeline.
Chris Pine’s backstory would have no bearing on it whatsoever.

If you really want to be depressed, check out the analytics data: Google Trends: "Star Trek" 2004-2022

Each "new trek" release has been met with less and less engagement, to the point where search interest in Star Trek right now is LESS THAN in 2004. That's right, with 4 series in active development and advertising campaigns across multiple platforms and mediums, online engagement in Star Trek is now LOWER than in 2004, two years after Nemesis left theaters.

"Oh tater squad, surely you must be wrong! They wouldn't keep funding new trek if engagement was this poor!" Ah, dear viewer, you misunderstand the content-factory investor landscape. For example, the ENTIRE CW network has been unprofitable since day one. Yes, that's right, the entire CW network has never turned a profit once, and yet it has operated since 2006. CW Network Unprofitable Since Launch in 2006
I don’t know what’s surprising or shocking about that. 2004 was a different world. Online streaming services weren’t a thing. There was no MCU, Game of Thrones, or the billion other forms of entertainment we consume that compete and vie for attention. I used to rewatch Trek all the time on reruns. Now it’s all I can do to keep up. I tried watching all the CW DC Comics shows and fell off because I couldn’t find the time for it all. Look at tv ratings. A network would kill for what Enterprise’s ratings were now.

As a DM of a Dungeons & Dragons campaign that is almost 32 years old, I have always had my reservations about certain Trek canon, but I can keep my own head canon. I have never liked that transporters can be used to transport people without locator devices like communicators. Our heroes could have been killed a hundred times over by cloaked Romulan vessels. The communicators or locators used in Insurrection make perfect sense (how do you carry out a molecular scan on multiple people from orbit?). But there are many other examples. My gripes tend to be technology based rather than character based, although I do prefer my Starfleet crew to behave like professionals. Kirk told off Chekov and Landon for canoodling while on duty and I wish someone would do the same in the newer shows.

With these EXO-6 figures in my possession it will be my head canon all the time. What's that tiny Kirk? Put Burnham in for psych evaluation for crying on duty again? Yes sir!

If you really want to be depressed, check out the analytics data: Google Trends: "Star Trek" 2004-2022

Each "new trek" release has been met with less and less engagement, to the point where search interest in Star Trek right now is LESS THAN in 2004. That's right, with 4 series in active development and advertising campaigns across multiple platforms and mediums, online engagement in Star Trek is now LOWER than in 2004, two years after Nemesis left theaters.

"Oh tater squad, surely you must be wrong! They wouldn't keep funding new trek if engagement was this poor!" Ah, dear viewer, you misunderstand the content-factory investor landscape. For example, the ENTIRE CW network has been unprofitable since day one. Yes, that's right, the entire CW network has never turned a profit once, and yet it has operated since 2006. CW Network Unprofitable Since Launch in 2006

If I'm reading the chart right It's actually higher. Looking at all of 2004 the highest peak was a 17, while today shows 18. Not much higher but details matter especially when someone makes a claim its less when in fact its not, unless I read the chart wrong feel free to correct me if I did).

I'd also point out if you look at the related queries chart and select top from the drop down menu "discovery Star Trek" is number 1. Under rising its number 3. To be fair its number 6 on the Related topics chart for Top and number 1 under rising.

I do prefer my Starfleet crew to behave like professionals. Kirk told off Chekov and Landon for canoodling while on duty and I wish someone would do the same in the newer shows.

While I have in general have enjoyed all the new Trek. Your point is one that bothers me too. From her actions in Picard Season 2 there is no way I buy Raffi as a security officer in Starfleet now.

Discovery isn't immune either there's been several moments where I rolled my eyes cause officer were focusing on feelings instead of the mission.

Prodigy is exempt from that because the crew isn't Starfleet, they are learning to be Starfleet, so for me it makes sense.

Lower Decks is a comedy so to me it's exempt from that problems too.

SNW so far hasn't had any of these problems, which is why it's my current favorite after Lower Decks.

As a DM of a Dungeons & Dragons campaign that is almost 32 years old, I have always had my reservations about certain Trek canon, but I can keep my own head canon. I have never liked that transporters can be used to transport people without locator devices like communicators. Our heroes could have been killed a hundred times over by cloaked Romulan vessels. The communicators or locators used in Insurrection make perfect sense (how do you carry out a molecular scan on multiple people from orbit?). But there are many other examples. My gripes tend to be technology based rather than character based, although I do prefer my Starfleet crew to behave like professionals. Kirk told off Chekov and Landon for canoodling while on duty and I wish someone would do the same in the newer shows.

With these EXO-6 figures in my possession it will be my head canon all the time. What's that tiny Kirk? Put Burnham in for psych evaluation for crying on duty again? Yes sir!
Yup. This the way and highly logical.

I enjoy new Trek enough to buy certain figures from each of the new shows. I don’t think I’ll be collecting entire crews like I intend to with VOY, TNG and DS9- except SNW. I’m already in love with every character on the show so far. Ortegas and Transporter Chief Kyle are on the top of my list, but likely to be later releases.
I haven't yet watched SNW being in the UK (Paramount+ coming next month unless I find another way of watching) so participating in these discussions is a bit of a risk but Im excited that lots of people are saying good things about it.

I do want Michael Burnham and Saru; I wish we could get Season 4 versions of them but I understand they’ve been in the works for a long while. I remember Nanjin enjoyed the portrayal of Seven from season 1 of Picard. Depending on the release schedule I could be enticed by a Picard Picard, Seven, and Rios- any others would be dependent on how well done the figure is.
I am mainly collecting Captains and small groups of characters, DS9 is the only one I am going all in on right now.

If you were going to get Rios what outfit would you want him in? Unless Seven is Captain of what ever ship takes centre stage in season 3 I'd rather Rio's in his Stargazer Captains uniform.

I'm also loving SNW, and it's a rare Trek show that my teenager is also enjoying - we're actually watching it as a family. I'm down for pretty much the whole cast after two episodes. On the flip side, I personally was so disappointed by Picard Season 2 that I'm no longer interested in figures from that show. Personal opinion only, but it was such a waste of potential and talent. That first episode showed such promise too. I was interested in getting a few figures, but probably not anymore. But yeah, my growing 1/6 Trek museum definitely needs the Strange New Worlds crew sooner rather than later.
I like Picard, I don't love it but it has had some good moments - hopeful they have something great in store for the return of the TNG crew. For me its only Rio's that I'd pick up, Sevens 2401 outfit could look good on a shelf too though, especially to contrast her Voyager style.

....as for all the canon discussions (which I try to stay out of), this comment rings very true. The older shows have just as many contradictions to "canon" as the newer ones. Why do we give a free pass to those, while rejecting the newer ones? It doesn't make sense to me.
Definitely, I have never understood why some fans come down hard on the new thing and ignore similar issues with older versions of whatever they are fans of. Ive been round long enough to remember there was negativity for every "latest" series in some form or fashion which up to recently appeared to give the last "worst Star Trek" a bit of breathing room.

SNW so far hasn't had any of these problems, which is why it's my current favorite after Lower Decks.
I don't hate any of the new series but I have to agree Lower Decks is my current favourite and is my most rewatched.

Hopeful for when I eventually see SNW reading some of these comments. My wallet is dreading the potential of it becoming the second "collect the line" series after DS9 though - its a little easier to be objective with the older shows as I know how each one lands with me and who I would most likely want or not want on my shelves.

Now I've seen 2 seasons of Picard, aside from Picard himself & 7, none of the characters have gelled with me enough to warrant spending money on. With the return of the main TNG crew for season 3. I'm happy to wait for figures from that season and hopefully it will give them a proper send off like TUC gave the original crew.

No…I’m surprised that so few people seem to understand how the Kelvin timeline works…
It’s all Canon without any rebooting or retconning.
We had Star Trek X - which was Nemesis…and Star Trek (first Abrams film) is, for all intents and purposes, Star Trek XI, acting as a chronological sequel to Nemesis, where we see that in the TNG timeline, subsequent to the events of Nemesis, Nero travels back in time, creates an alternate timeline, and the rest of the Kelvin films pick up from there…
basically as sequels to TNG set in an alternate past.
Even though BTTF is mostly set in the 1950s and BTTF III is set in the 1800s, BTTF III is still a sequel, just a sequel set in an earlier point in time.
SNW is a canonical prequel set before the events of Kelvin in the “prime” timeline.
Chris Pine’s backstory would have no bearing on it whatsoever.
Yeah I understand all that and fully accept the new shows as canon and set in the Prime timeline, I just think someone could if they really wanted, pretend these shows are set prior to the events of ST09 instead. Since there are clearly lots of visual and technological differences (like with the USS Kelvin itself for instance) that can't be explained away simply by Nero's incursion into the past.

It's definitely a stretch though and I don't see the need for it myself.

I'd also point our Spock never talked about his father either. In Sarek's first appearance Journey to Babel, Spock's closest friends (Kirk, McCoy) were blindsided when they learned that this ambassador from Vulcan was Spock's father.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Journey_to_Babel_(episode)
It's kind of odd when you think about it that we never heard the TOS crew talk about their families at all unless it was someone we actually encountered in an episode.

It's kind of odd when you think about it that we never heard the TOS crew talk about their families at all unless it was someone we actually encountered in an episode.
I actually liked this aspect, at its essence it was a show about a quasi-military crew working professionally together to overcome epic sci-fi problems while navigating moral dilemmas. I didn't need emotional baggage and family traumas and sordid backstories, I just wanted to see how the intrepid capable crew of the Enterprise would approach the latest challenge while still maintaining the ideals of the Federation and bonding along the way. It was the crew's optimism and scientific ingenuity and friendship in the middle of cold empty space that made me fall in love with Trek.

I actually liked this aspect, at its essence it was a show about a quasi-military crew working professionally together to overcome epic sci-fi problems while navigating moral dilemmas. I didn't need emotional baggage and family traumas and sordid backstories, I just wanted to see how the intrepid capable crew of the Enterprise would approach the latest challenge while still maintaining the ideals of the Federation and bonding along the way. It was the crew's optimism and scientific ingenuity and friendship in the middle of cold empty space that made me fall in love with Trek.
I like that very much too. I make an effort to be a little more lenient with Discovery since, like Voyager, the ship and crew end up being torn away from their home worlds. The office becomes less like a workplace when you don’t have family and home to return to.

Still, I really enjoyed how much of a workplace DS9 was and also spending time with the different family households on the station. Do your 9-5 as best as you can, then take your time off. Sometimes, it would feel like Picard and most of the TNG cast really only had their posts even though the Enterprise wasn’t often too far from home.

Yup. This the way and highly logical.
Hey Nanjin I had a question. I know a guy that makes real digital screen graphics for Star Trek. He does the console screens that are animated and can cycle through different settings. He so far has sample from TNG and Voyager. He also makes many props that have screens like tricorders and I wanted to know if you would be interested in using his stuff for your TNG bridge consoles and other screens. He also does amazing lighting and sound features that would be amazing in your dioramas.
I can send you his contact information if you are interested in at least seeing a demonstration of his work.

Hey Nanjin I had a question. I know a guy that makes real digital screen graphics for Star Trek. He does the console screens that are animated and can cycle through different settings. He so far has sample from TNG and Voyager. He also makes many props that have screens like tricorders and I wanted to know if you would be interested in using his stuff for your TNG bridge consoles and other screens. He also does amazing lighting and sound features that would be amazing in your dioramas.
I can send you his contact information if you are interested in at least seeing a demonstration of his work.
Non static LCAR screen is not very practical for 1/6 scale. QMx did BSG viper with a DRADIS. Was cool put killed the sales quantities because of the pricing.

The most important part for 1/6 scale console is that high gloss backlighted screen with correct versions of LCARs. Thry were all different and have some vert specific LCAR "canon" rules.

Non static LCAR screen is not very practical for 1/6 scale. QMx did BSG viper with a DRADIS. Was cool put killed the sales quantities because of the pricing.

The most important part for 1/6 scale console is that high gloss backlighted screen with correct versions of LCARs. Thry were all different and have some vert specific LCAR "canon" rules.
I can see it driving costs up. Would be a cool idea to see but not if it destroys yoyr sales. What price range do you think the TNG bridge diorama will be in? Are we looking at $1000 US or more?

1k maybe you can get the turbolift door section. A lot more than a 1k to look impressive. Domestic shipping will be in the hundreds, imagine international. Just molds will need about 2000 lb of raw steel.

Trek can't match with the Wars Fandom. Just be happy we have figures. Trek just doesn't have the fans to support anything that is too good.....
FB_IMG_1601444313769.jpg

DSC_8742-Edit.jpg

Back