EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s really funny is folks who actually believe that their opinions are objective facts…
There is a little irony to it, in fact.
I think that the new Trek shows have TREMENDOUS reverence for the Star Trek canon and the history of the series…apparently Patrick Stewart, the rest of the TNG cast, and countless others all agree which is why the shows keep getting made.
It must be frustrating to know that there are many LIFELONG Star Trek fans who LOVE all of the new Trek content. There are tons of us. We just quietly enjoy it without going on all the time about how much we like it, so it’s easy to fall into your own echo chamber and mistakenly imagine that your opinions are shared by everybody. Sorry to burst your bubble.

THIS!!!! ALL OF THIS!!!

I don't consider anything from JJ Abrams or Kurtzman as canon because those guys don't respect Star Trek canon, it's just that simple. They are alternate timelines all to themselves.

Wasn't that the point of the alternate timeline, so they wouldn't trample on existing canon?

When people cite what is and isn’t canon or new creators not respecting canon it becomes a slippery slope not worth the investment of brain cells. Arguably the greatest Star Trek movie( wrath of khan) was made by a director and producer that were notoriously fast and loose with canon when it didn’t fit the narrative needs. We have room for all types of Star Trek and fans right?

Wasn't that the point of the alternate timeline, so they wouldn't trample on existing canon?
Yes that's what the plan was in 2009. What's confusing now is that Kurtzman says Disco and Picard and SNW are all regular canon, which those shows clearly aren't. Not that I really care one way or another -- my take on it is just enjoy what you like and be happy. I think the set designs, uniforms, etc look far superior in these new shows anyway. But they remain in the Kelvin Timeline for me.

Yes that's what the plan was in 2009. What's confusing now is that Kurtzman says Disco and Picard and SNW are all regular canon, which those shows clearly aren't. Not that I really care one way or another -- my take on it is just enjoy what you like and be happy. I think the set designs, uniforms, etc look far superior in these new shows anyway. But they remain in the Kelvin Timeline for me.
I guess that could kind of work for everything we've seen up to this point, but once SNW introduces their James Kirk with a very different backstory to the Chris Pine version (who didn't have a brother and lost his father to the Romulans), I don't see how that would work any longer.

I guess that could kind of work for everything we've seen up to this point, but once SNW introduces their James Kirk with a very different backstory to the Chris Pine version (who didn't have a brother and lost his father to the Romulans), I don't see how that would work any longer.
This was actually Kirk's older brother in the Kelvin timeline:
1652816599906.png

“Cannon” has always been a subject of discussion amongst Trek fans. Especially when discussing the many novels out there as well as TAS. Of course TOS ( and many of the tv series of its time) was never really consistent.

The funny thing about arguing about historical accuracy with Star Trek is that several Trek writers have said in the past that Roddenberry himself would happily ignore and contradict something in a past episode of it got in the way of the story he was telling today.

When the creator of the universe took a revisionist approach to his stories, especially in TOS and early TNG I’ve always found it funny that we fans bend over backwards to make sense of those older contradictions but flat out refuse to accept any difference however small on a show today.

Onto something more interesting, a Voyager figure seems to be the next on the board, crunch time coming up to whether I get the EMH and consider collecting the entire series (so far the only one I’m planning on 100% is DS9) or stick with just the Janeway for my Captains collection.

I enjoy new Trek enough to buy certain figures from each of the new shows. I don’t think I’ll be collecting entire crews like I intend to with VOY, TNG and DS9- except SNW. I’m already in love with every character on the show so far. Ortegas and Transporter Chief Kyle are on the top of my list, but likely to be later releases.

I do want Michael Burnham and Saru; I wish we could get Season 4 versions of them but I understand they’ve been in the works for a long while. I remember Nanjin enjoyed the portrayal of Seven from season 1 of Picard. Depending on the release schedule I could be enticed by a Picard Picard, Seven, and Rios- any others would be dependent on how well done the figure is.

Now, I don’t imagine it happening, but I think it would be fun to see characters from Lower Decks translated into realistic portraits (like how Hot Toys has styled some releases from Clone Wars).

I'm also loving SNW, and it's a rare Trek show that my teenager is also enjoying - we're actually watching it as a family. I'm down for pretty much the whole cast after two episodes. On the flip side, I personally was so disappointed by Picard Season 2 that I'm no longer interested in figures from that show. Personal opinion only, but it was such a waste of potential and talent. That first episode showed such promise too. I was interested in getting a few figures, but probably not anymore. But yeah, my growing 1/6 Trek museum definitely needs the Strange New Worlds crew sooner rather than later.

When the creator of the universe took a revisionist approach to his stories, especially in TOS and early TNG I’ve always found it funny that we fans bend over backwards to make sense of those older contradictions but flat out refuse to accept any difference however small on a show today.

....as for all the canon discussions (which I try to stay out of), this comment rings very true. The older shows have just as many contradictions to "canon" as the newer ones. Why do we give a free pass to those, while rejecting the newer ones? It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, next Voyager figure, it does seem like we might be getting someone else next. Chakotay would be great although part of me hopes for a total oddball release like Neelix (who, as much as he often annoys me, would really pop on the shelf).

....as for all the canon discussions (which I try to stay out of), this comment rings very true. The older shows have just as many contradictions to "canon" as the newer ones. Why do we give a free pass to those, while rejecting the newer ones?
I would like to state how vital a consistent canon is in a literary context. It is the shared mythology, the glue that holds a world together. When it becomes fractured, you start to see huge divides and breakdowns in communication within fandoms, and we start silo-ing ourselves into factions.

You ask why some of us give a pass to older canon contradictions. For me, it is often because the older shows didn't try to actively sabotage and subvert what came before. One example, the klingon head ridges. The decision to rework in TMP was to enhance the visual distinction in species that was wanted but not possible due to budget limitation in TOS. But compare to the nu-Trek Spock revision, who is now learning disabled, has emotional outbursts, has severe mental health issues, and has a sister he never mentioned who saves the universe three separate times and teaches him to be "a better vulcan". One of these canon reworks enhances the original intention and spirit, and the other deconstructs and rebuilds into something entirely new.

You will notice that the purpose of most of the new canon violations are to twist and distort, to deconstruct and then re-frame fundamental characteristics or historical narratives. I see a distinction, and this may answer your question as to why some people have more difficulty with modern canon deconstruction.

I would like to state how vital a consistent canon is in a literary context. It is the shared mythology, the glue that holds a world together. When it becomes fractured, you start to see huge divides and breakdowns in communication within fandoms, and we start silo-ing ourselves into factions.

You ask why some of us give a pass to older canon contradictions. For me, it is often because the older shows didn't try to actively sabotage and subvert what came before. One example, the klingon head ridges. The decision to rework in TMP was to enhance the visual distinction in species that was wanted but not possible due to budget limitation in TOS. But compare to the nu-Trek Spock revision, who is now learning disabled, has emotional outbursts, has severe mental health issues, and has a sister he never mentioned who saves the universe three separate times and teaches him to be "a better vulcan". One of these canon reworks enhances the original intention and spirit, and the other deconstructs and rebuilds into something entirely new.

You will notice that the purpose of most of the new canon violations are to twist and distort, to deconstruct and then re-frame fundamental characteristics or historical narratives. I see a distinction, and this may answer your question as to why some people have more difficulty with modern canon deconstruction.
I would like to first thank you for a well thought out and very reasonable response! I tend to avoid these discussions because of the apparent inherent bias in many people's comments (that's a generalisation, folks, and is not aimed at anyone in particular).

I freely admit that I stopped watching Discovery midway through the second season as I just wasn't enjoying it, so my only exposure to Ethan Peck's Spock has been through SNW, where he doesn't seem to display any of those characteristics you've mentioned, which would almost certainly bug me too - aside from the unmentioned family member, which is actually pretty consistent Spock behaviour (with the previously unmentioned Sybok, for instance).

Personally, I don't at all feel that the new shows are trying to sabotage what has come before - like jal76 and Kebron have stated previously, I feel it's quite the opposite and that there is a lot of reverence shown, even if they don't always get the execution right. So, on that point, we'll have to agree to disagree - but again, thank you for the very considered and well-explained response, it's appreciated!

Back