Dave Filoni is officially an Executive Creative Director at Lucasfilm

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its like you guys don't accept that Star Wars is growing beyond the OT but at the same time you don't have the will to drop this franchise at once.

I have watched the first season of Agents of Shield, but i did not like the series storytelling, so i just dropped and never think about agent Coulson again.
Its okay to not like the Rebels finale, but since the beginning the whole show was heavy on magic stuff hidden in the galaxy.

Agents of Shield is not MCU. Feige didn't produce it and it is not part of the MCU. I think that's the point to get to, the big corp, even Lucasfilm became a big corp, that it really is about the bottom dollar and to make it fit into a continuity is just to please the fans. "Oh, they said something about Captain America. Cool, bro!"

Essentially, you just have to cut out the canon that is personal to you cause they will milk the franchise cow whoever is running the show.

To be clear, I have no problem with Space Whales per se, (after all, we had a space slug in ESB) but the way they're used in the story seems a bit silly.

You don?t know what the ENTIRE fandom thinks about anything now, do you?
The Mandalorian is like a sugary cereal that feels great going down until you stop and realize that what you ate wasn?t food, it was just a bowl of sugar and food coloring.
Sorry, it?s a wonderful love letter to my childhood, growing up in London in the 1980s, nothing more. Last Jedi was awful, but in its own way, Mandalorian is such a hollow and soulless nostalgia machine that it may be worse.

Well, THIS miniscule part of the entire fandom is less than enthused over any more Filoni-power; enjoyed and was even impressed by Rebels and Clone Wars, but didn't expect the Mandalorian to make a hard u-turn into rehash and/or a Clone Wars sequel:pfft:. Ahsoka, Boba, Luke...hardly any characters left original to the Mandalorian ("new characters, in a way we've never seen them before").

I didn't think Mandalorian was a hollow and soulless nostalgia machine when it started; but looks like it took the easy way out midway through Season 2.

Will save me some money collecting tho. I don't need to go 'round the Clone Wars again. Or really see a genuine Baby Yoda no matter what this character is named - might as well call Grogu "Baby Yoda" with his own little light saber. Probably friends with toddler Kylo, too.

Well, THIS miniscule part of the entire fandom is less than enthused over any more Filoni-power; enjoyed and was even impressed by Rebels and Clone Wars, but didn't expect the Mandalorian to make a hard u-turn into rehash and/or a Clone Wars sequel:pfft:. Ahsoka, Boba, Luke...hardly any characters left original to the Mandalorian ("new characters, in a way we've never seen them before").

I didn't think Mandalorian was a hollow and soulless nostalgia machine when it started; but looks like it took the easy way out midway through Season 2.

Will save me some money collecting tho. I don't need to go 'round the Clone Wars again. Or really see a genuine Baby Yoda no matter what this character is named - might as well call Grogu "Baby Yoda" with his own little light saber. Probably friends with toddler Kylo, too.

Welcome to the light.
I guess that makes a couple of us who are willing to admit that the Mandalorian Emperor isn?t wearing any clothes.
This time next year everyone else will be tripping over each other claiming that they always knew it wasn?t really all that good.

This time next year Obi-Wan will be THE show.

Now you want to talk about a nostalgia vehicle... I have almost zero interest in Jedi so my anticipation for this show equates. Ewan was one of the best things about the PT, but that isn't saying very much. But he has a huge following and the show will no doubt bring OTers and PT together for the initial series.

I like the Mando show, but can't say I love it. I like the world more than any single episode, but then that's Star Wars. I don't have any interest in revisiting any episodes thus far, but I have rewatched parts of the transport chase episode and the final episode with Luke. I can watch Rogue One over and over though if that gives a bearing.

That all said, Mando is tons better than the ST movies. So it has that going for it.

Season 3 is going to bring down the Mando hammer and you'll get more Mandos than you can possibly imagine. Yes, TCW had a few arcs with Mandalore, but live action is where it is at.

I was going to start a new thread, but this thread seems fine enough. Has anyone ever looked into this? I always heard bits and pieces, but never really knew what Lucas was going for. I guess he didn't know either.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-w...el-trilogy-plot-abandoned-canceled-darth-maul

Weird that it really was him to bring Maul back and Filoni said he was cut in half, how would you do that? Sounds like he might've failed Luke in his story, too. Oh, and more politics!

Welcome to the light.
I guess that makes a couple of us who are willing to admit that the Mandalorian Emperor isn?t wearing any clothes.
This time next year everyone else will be tripping over each other claiming that they always knew it wasn?t really all that good.

Based on Season 1 - am rarely so obsessed - thought this show would remain a sort of gritty fever dream of a show (as much as anything Disney can be:monkey3). Season to season, new planets, outstanding new characters.....whoops, welcome to the Filoni verse/rehash.

I get that a lot of folks/fans are excited (yee-hah, a live action Sabine Wren) and here's Luke too (more or or less) but just can't get excited about stuff that feels been there, done that. *&^%$ Coruscant. OF COURSE Grogu had many many teachers in the Jedi temple zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:pfft: instead of something IMO more interesting where he was never trained at all, and remains kind of a wild card - at least for a while.

I'd say it started well; great aesthetics and characters like the Armorer and the Client; but then F & F jettisoned whatever they envisioned originally for a trip down memory lane. :monkey2

That all said, Mando is tons better than the ST movies. So it has that going for it.

Well. Yeah. It's kinda bad when u pick up a TFA Rey and Kylo - Rey especially is a beautiful fig - but ur collecting comes to a screeching halt, and u can't even make urself pick up Finn at 50% off. I'd think about it....and then think - why? The end of it all blew.

I always said The Mando Show was a very entertaining cartoon, but I agree that it got soundly Filoni'd by the end. First season was best.

At Disney?s Hollywood Studios Theme Park they have this stage show where they have a big screen that plays clips from all of the Star Wars movies, loud thundering score, and then all of your favorite characters come parading out one by one on the stage in front of the screen.
First it?s Darth Maul, swinging his light saber and doing karate kicks.
Then Boba Fett shooting fireworks into the air.
Then Chewbacca with his bowcaster.
Darth Vader with a stormtrooper on either side.
The crowd goes wild as the theme builds to a crescendo.
After it?s over you say...what in the world did I just watch? It had no meaning just a parade of all of your favorite Star Wars characters side by side on stage saying their best lines. No rhyme or reason.
The Mandalorian is just that on television.

Maybe but you could say that about pretty much anything they might do at this point - in this or any established franchise.

I disagree. I think you are half-correct, I think that?s all you are going to get from Star Wars at this point.
Like or dislike WandaVision, but it didn?t rely on cheap cameos, fan service, or knowing nods to anyone?s favorite comic book moments. It was an original show that took some chances. Maybe they didn?t all pay off, but they could have very easily paraded a chorus line of MCU characters across the scene every week and didn?t.
Just to use one of the latest offerings from the most successful franchise of all time as an example.
I could say the same about more recent offerings from DC too, Shazam, Aquaman, even WW84. Not saying they were great or for everyone, but the people responsible tried to tell original stories and allow these things to stand on their own without relying solely on goodwill generated from nostalgia or fan service.

I know what you're trying to say, jal, but Wandavision may not be the best example because the entire premise was steeped in nostalgia -- for TV shows from the 50s, 60s, 70, etc. The entire gag was one big nostalgia fest -- maybe not for Marvel characters, but it was a journey down memory lane for a large portion of the MCU fanbase.

Falcon might be a better example because other than Sharon and that Wakanda warrior they didn't exploit any old characters beyond who you knew would be involved from the beginning. There was no Black Widow cutaway or anything like that. The show premise wasn't based on nostalgia.

The end result is important though and WandaVision and FatWS were OK at best. I certainly won't rewatch them in a hurry. I haven't rewatched Mando either but I would be more likely to rewatch Mando than those particular Marvel shows.

Defying expectations or ''subverting'' them as is the trendy phrase - just hasn't been working out very well for Star Wars or Marvel when they've tried it.

Season to season, new planets, outstanding new characters.....whoops, welcome to the Filoni verse/rehash.

I always said The Mando Show was a very entertaining cartoon, but I agree that it got soundly Filoni'd by the end. First season was best.

It's pretty remarkable how adeptly Filoni has pulled the bait-and-switch act with The Mandalorian. It was sold to fans as a show about an unexplored era of SW which would introduce an array of new characters and plots evolving out of the OT. But just two seasons later, TCW and Rebels characters/plots (all *pre* OT, mind you) are somehow already taking the majority of the focus. Wow!

We've now got a plotline that is basically a live-action Rebels sequel with Ahsoka tracking down Thrawn and Ezra. Another plotline is a TCW quasi-sequel with Bo-Katan at the center of a darksaber plot for the throne of Mandalore. A mysterious baby of Yoda's species is now directly connected to the Clone Wars. And for good measure, there's an overarching cloning angle that is seemingly connected directly back to Kamino.

Filoni is like a magician. He somehow managed to recontextualize the OT as merely a brief interruption in the Filoniverse. :lol

I know what you're trying to say, jal, but Wandavision may not be the best example because the entire premise was steeped in nostalgia -- for TV shows from the 50s, 60s, 70, etc. The entire gag was one big nostalgia fest -- maybe not for Marvel characters, but it was a journey down memory lane for a large portion of the MCU fanbase.

Falcon might be a better example because other than Sharon and that Wakanda warrior they didn't exploit any old characters beyond who you knew would be involved from the beginning. There was no Black Widow cutaway or anything like that. The show premise wasn't based on nostalgia.

That?s a fair point. You are right about the reliance on nostalgia contradicting the core of my point, so agreed, probably not the best example. I think I still give WandaVision credit for stepping so far outside of the typical MCU / Superhero mold. Who imagined when they saw Avengers Age of Ultron for the first time that we would get those characters in a black and white sitcom setting?

The end result is important though and WandaVision and FatWS were OK at best. I certainly won't rewatch them in a hurry. I haven't rewatched Mando either but I would be more likely to rewatch Mando than those particular Marvel shows.

Defying expectations or ''subverting'' them as is the trendy phrase - just hasn't been working out very well for Star Wars or Marvel when they've tried it.
That?s completely subjective though, I was actually a HUGE fan of both shows, so to each their own. You can?t really say that it was factually OK at best, that is just how you personally felt about it, but a whole bunch of other people watched it and had different opinions.
I found WandaVision to be one of my favorite MCU properties including the movies, but can definitely understand exactly why many people hated it, I just happened to love it.
Objectively speaking, however, the show stood on its own without Dr Strange, Thor, Iron Man, or anything else. The Mandalorian seems to survive solely on the strength of fan service.

Unfortunately, Star Wars audiences seem to like the connective tissue of Star Wars -- they like everything to circle back to something familiar. This has been happening since Death Star II. And its cultural -- meaning, comic books to movies. It's all familiar at some point and the regurgitation gets people clapping.

I came of age at a time where the only cohesion in sequels was the main characters coming back, but the worlds and adventures were new -- Bond, OT and Indy were at first all about 'further adventures' and new things. Now, in both SW and MCU, there seems to be this need to constantly connect everything to everything else (familiar) and then spend the other half your time promoting the next show or movie in the series.

Given that most of the vast Star Wars audience is actually older people than it is young, nostalgia makes sense.

I'm one of the oddball oldies that wants completely new adventures... but for every one of me, there are tons of fans (in this very forum) that eat the nostalgia up, cry when Han returns and clap when Ahsoka arrives to tell you about her new show.

All new shows with all new characters and adventures will never happen in this day and age with tastes as they are and budgets what they are. It will take a new generation that is so tired of Star Wars that only something completely removed from it will generate interest.

Last edited:
You are correct Wor and that is probably the root of what had transformed Star Wars form something that used to bring me a great deal of joy into something that I find to be fairly annoying.
Everyone had to be related to someone else.
Rey has to be a Palpatine.
Han Solo?s first girlfriend has to be working for Darth Maul.
The guy who built the Death Star put the design flaw there on purpose.
All of the ooh aah, convenient coincidences have become exhausting and silly which has made Star Wars a bit light and meaningless. This is really on parade in Mandalorian.

Don't forget Lando's connection to Jannah in TROS. The fact that it may be more audience driven than truth only reinforces the idea that audiences need connections.

Back