Dave Filoni is officially an Executive Creative Director at Lucasfilm

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And Space Whales is as logical as an "space wizard with a laser sword".

Pre-supposition failure. It?s not a question of logic it?s a question of aesthetic sensibilities and world building.

If you enjoy Whales In Space go nuts, more power to you.

Just like I don?t have to enjoy the crap they?re trying to sell me based on ever-receding childhood nostalgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-supposition failure. It?s not a question of logic it?s a question of aesthetic sensibilities and world building.

If you enjoy Whales In Space go nuts, more power to you.

Just like I don?t have to enjoy the crap they?re trying to sell me based on ever-receding childhood nostalgia.

Exactly, the key word is "world building", and this comes together with new concepts and new things in the mythology like a space whale.
You're forgetting that everything in pop culture is based around childhood nostalgia, this is one of the reasons that grow man like us pays $300 on dolls.

Exactly, the key word is "world building", and this comes together with new concepts and new things in the mythology like a space whale.

We're all very aware of what Filoni is doing, and to reiterate one final time, it's not going to appeal to everyone, and some of the concepts they're selling invite ridicule. I'm not telling you not to enjoy it.

You're forgetting that everything in pop culture is based around childhood nostalgia, this is one of the reasons that grow man like us pays $300 on dolls.

I literally said as much in my above post, so I'm not 'forgetting' anything. :lol

But in my case, and in the case of any number of fans, that nostalgia Disney's literally banking on grows fainter the further they stray from the source material. That's inevitable and certainly not unexpected, but it's what will render this era of the property disposable entertainment rather than the unique cultural juggernaut it once was owing to time and place.

And contrary to at least one common accusation, it's not always a case of 'old-timers and rose-coloured nostalgia glasses' although I'm sure that's a factor...the Star Wars mythos was built on one very specific, very evocative era.

It's like being a fan of WWII films and not enjoying subsequent stories about The Marshall Plan or the Soviets setting up satellite states.

Space whales that happen to capture the bad guy and travel through hyperspace. Makes as much sense as Obi-Wan riding a donkey through space. There are limits to even imaginary worlds or it loses it's flavor. Let's put a Dr. Strange wizard in there, no he doesn't use the force, he uses "magic". If they talk about space whales that travel through space in the Ahsoka live action show, it will be destroyed. One "Space Slug" in ESB and some creative has to use it to conveniently solve all his problems in his kiddie show.

[...]One "Space Slug" in ESB and some creative has to use it to conveniently solve all his problems in his kiddie show.

This kind of sums up what's wrong with contemporary Star Wars. Besides the obviously lazy storytelling we see frequently, we see the Grand Mystery of the OT neutered by continuous over-elaboration and over-exposure and straight-up magic. The Star Wars of today has more in common with Harry Potter than the OT.

In ESB we were shown one titanic creature inexplicably living inside a minor planet (the celestial body had enough gravity to hold some kind of atmosphere and allow the heroes to walk unaided) -- that was a mystery. Humpback whales propelling themselves in herds through space and hyperspace as part of some kind of interstellar eco-system jumps the space shark. I'm sure there are space sharks now. And hyperspace bunnies. Can't forget fluffy hyperspace bunnies that can sense the Dark Side to identify hidden Sith-users.

But whatever, some people are gonna like this stuff and think it "adds to the mythos" whereas others will not. :dunno

I quite like the idea of an alien species that can organically travel through hyperspace...it's the 'whale' bit that pulls me out of it.

I quite like the idea of an alien species that can organically travel through hyperspace...it's the 'whale' bit that pulls me out of it.

Fair enough. I remain unconvinced regarding the former, and find execution of the latter appalling but that's just me.

I must admit, it does start to make things seem a little...Star Trek. It's a big universe though and with mystical forces that bind the galaxy together I don't mind it...as long as it's self contained to that show and doesn't start to crop up everywhere.

I don?t know, there?s ?canon? and then there?s canon. I remember when TROS came out and in response to the scene where Poe says ?they fly now?? after seeing the jet troopers, a bunch of internet dorks got irate because Poe had already seen jet troopers in the comics. Whatever - Lucasfilm ultimately is going to undercut the ?canon? established by comics/books/video games, etc. whenever it wants to - even if it?s just to bring levity to a battle scene if it serves the movie. As far as I?m concerned, it?s not really canon until it appears in a tentpole movie or D+ show. Alas, no space whales.

I don?t know, there?s ?canon? and then there?s canon. I remember when TROS came out and in response to the scene where Poe says ?they fly now?? after seeing the jet troopers, a bunch of internet dorks got irate because Poe had already seen jet troopers in the comics. Whatever - Lucasfilm ultimately is going to undercut the ?canon? established by comics/books/video games, etc. whenever it wants to - even if it?s just to bring levity to a battle scene if it serves the movie. As far as I?m concerned, it?s not really canon until it appears in a tentpole movie or D+ show. Alas, no space whales.

Sad they don't take the cool stuff from the EU - Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, etc. It's like they've taken the thought of the character or a small storyline and made them worse. I understand the Vong didn't go over well, so ignore it. But the great stuff is just mind-boggling to completely ignore and not adapt.

This kind of sums up what's wrong with contemporary Star Wars. Besides the obviously lazy storytelling we see frequently, we see the Grand Mystery of the OT neutered by continuous over-elaboration and over-exposure and straight-up magic. The Star Wars of today has more in common with Harry Potter than the OT.

In ESB we were shown one titanic creature inexplicably living inside a minor planet (the celestial body had enough gravity to hold some kind of atmosphere and allow the heroes to walk unaided) -- that was a mystery. Humpback whales propelling themselves in herds through space and hyperspace as part of some kind of interstellar eco-system jumps the space shark. I'm sure there are space sharks now. And hyperspace bunnies. Can't forget fluffy hyperspace bunnies that can sense the Dark Side to identify hidden Sith-users.

But whatever, some people are gonna like this stuff and think it "adds to the mythos" whereas others will not. :dunno

But the OT only focus is Luke and Vader we barely see the actual galaxy, thats why concepts like space whale looks out of a place if you look by OT standarts. Now Star Wars is a galaxy way more larger than what we saw in OT, so we get more strange concepts and magical stuff, the world just gets bigger and bigger.
I know you're joking about space animals, but there is actually a space lizard that can block force powers.

Its like watching the first Iron Man and compare with Infinity War\Endgame, the MCU's sandbox got so big and diverse that the armor Stark wears is like magic(Nanotech).
The jedi from the OT were simple Space warriors but the Jedi from PT became Space wizard knights.

Flying whales in Star Wars is nothing new, nor are giant animals that can survive in the vacuum of space.

DCZbX4pU0AAXHCW.jpg

Flying at lightspeed is definitely a wild concept but the visual aesthetic goes all the way back to 1979 concept art.

Is Filoni the nuLucas...?

The comparisons trying to make Filoni some sort of modern-day Lucas are profoundly misguided, IMO. Lucas was an innovator while Filoni is more of a duplicator.

Lucas was innovative by taking inspiration from a variety of other works, and then using elements of those to craft something new and different from it. That's the key: *new* and *different.* I see it as homage without being just lazy imitation; more of a subtle pastiche. Filoni, on the other hand, does nothing more than straight up imitation from anime, shows, and movies. Nothing original in terms of structure or narrative. I think some people might be getting the two approaches confused.

Filoni is a huge SW fan with tons of lore knowledge, and with a strong fidelity to the core Lucas themes. He's also probably a really nice guy. But the second coming of Lucas in a creative sense? Maybe only to younger people who haven't seen all of it before in one form or another.

But the OT only focus is Luke and Vader we barely see the actual galaxy, thats why concepts like space whale looks out of a place if you look by OT standarts. Now Star Wars is a galaxy way more larger than what we saw in OT, so we get more strange concepts and magical stuff, the world just gets bigger and bigger.
I know you're joking about space animals, but there is actually a space lizard that can block force powers.

Its like watching the first Iron Man and compare with Infinity War\Endgame, the MCU's sandbox got so big and diverse that the armor Stark wears is like magic(Nanotech).
The jedi from the OT were simple Space warriors but the Jedi from PT became Space wizard knights.

Star Wars means something different to different people. And a lot of that depends on what SW you grew up with. So it should be no surprise that some of us reject things like space whales propelling themselves through hyperspace, or Mortis "gods of the Force."

I'm guessing that the 95 in your username is probably the year you were born. If so, you grew up with a Star Wars that had already changed radically from the one that people my age grew up with.

I grew up with a SW that was great to me (as I found out while getting older) because it was allegorical fantasy about relatable things like a farmboy leaving home for adventure and heroics, and then themes about family, fathers, sons, and redemption. The setting of space was nothing more than a novelty to set it apart. And the space wizardry was there for much the same reason. These things were a means to an end, and changed depending on what the story needed, but never got so "out there" as to detract from the human drama and relatable themes.

Lucas himself changed SW with the PT, and that's fine. It has since gone on to change even further. But old farts like me will every now and then wish it hadn't changed from more of the simple and grounded foundations that were the backdrop for movies that completely won us over. Enjoy your SW, but don't be surprised that other people want to do the same with theirs.

It was awesome to see critters introduced in Star Wars Resistance, the most universally beloved SW cartoon of all, finally make an appearance in The Bad Batch.

a2faaaf635abe4fc88e8afdab3a43482a1186986.png

Filoni is such a legend and I hope he is in control of all of SW soon. :rock

Let's be clear: there is Lucas (1977-1984)... and then there is NuLucas (best known for the SE, the PT and selling Star Wars).

When I said is Filoni the nuLucas, I hope that is clarified now.

But the OT only focus is Luke and Vader we barely see the actual galaxy,

For many of us that was part of its strength. The story began in media res and left us with mysteries.

This comes as no surprise.

Its like watching the first Iron Man and compare with Infinity War\Endgame, the MCU's sandbox got so big and diverse that the armor Stark wears is like magic(Nanotech). The jedi from the OT were simple Space warriors but the Jedi from PT became Space wizard knights.

This is why for some of us Star Wars now fails. On a side note, as much as I enjoyed the character, Stark's magic armour is also something I didn't enjoy, but was able to overlook against the backdrop of what the Infinity Saga accomplished, with all its ups and downs.

Lucas was an innovator while Filoni is more of a duplicator.

Spot on. I find postmodernism has produced many such creatives.

I would love it if Filoni does a SW show or movie..live action, animated etc based on the Mcquarrie or however you spell it art :pray:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Purrgil

They were only made cause only kids could accept something that dumb. Yeah, they can go into hyperspace.

Thank goodness there's someone with some sense. You know the Filoni's will be coming. I will be waiting.

Lol yeah cause space slugs, Ewoks, Banthas , lightsabers, the force and hyperspace travel all make perfect sense.....

Back