1/6 Hot Toys- MMS631 - Spider-Man: No Way Home - Green Goblin Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicer than the toys era but I dont know if I feel its THAT much of an improvement. Anyway I'm trying to only order figures that have actually been released rather than preordering since they dont sell out anyway.

I feel like this is going to be discounted and free shipping 9 months after it releases because of the space it will take up at retailers.

I do like the prototype though. I feel that a usb plug going into the spot you put the glider on the pole stand would have been nice instead of batteries.

On display at Secret Base. I also like how better scaled the glider is on Hot Toys. I know they're not the same glider but I feel like TE's is underscaled.

SHgrGfG.jpg

This would've been a perfect opportunity to use that huge base that they also used for the first Doctor Strange, Darth Maul and Thanos for example. I'm not a fan of that thing, but the hexagonal stand with this looks too whimsical. You really are going to have to pay close attention to the point of gravity when posing this.

I hope that sculpt looks a little better than what I can see through that blur:

EanOM_BU0AMg6uL.jpg
The Ant Man sculpt in itself isn't bad in my opinion. The thing that throws it off is the teeth. They should sit a bit higher, with less gums showing. Now it looks like the mouth doesn't line up with the teeth and that throws the likeness off and makes it look really weird.
Little bit deblurred

QT1hWPf.png
From what I can judge so far, I think this sculpt will be just fine. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

On display at Secret Base. I also like how better scaled the glider is on Hot Toys. I know they're not the same glider but I feel like TE's is underscaled.

SHgrGfG.jpg
Not to come off as a case of early sour grapes, but... does it look kind of underwhelming to anyone else? It looks more like a toy, and less like a scaled down replica of a real person. The body's a bit too thin, the suit looks like a onesie, the all-green colour looks too... simple? I know that the trousers and sleeves looking like that instead of seamless is screen-accurate, but looking at it I can't help but feel underwhelmed. The head looks great, but the more my eyes wander down, the more I feel like nearly half a grand is too much for a literal plastic toy that'll get creases in no time. The molded hands just throw me off completely.

89ffb5300939878e0525e54c362acf98.png

I got into the scale and hobby because of the great tailoring and headsculpts, and this is sort of lacking in both. Don't get me wrong, I have more toyetic figures such as Thanos and Iron Man, but those still manage to come off as lifelike and of high quality. This looks like a high quality toy, but still, it looks like a toy. I can't unsee it and be immersed. As it stands, I'm more interested because I like Dafoe, plus my nostalgia, rather than being impressed with it. It's supposed to be a form of power armour, but it looks like a onesie made out of foam. It lacks the punch of a real world replica. Which isn't really HT's fault, as even in NWH it still looked flimsy and plasticy.

spider-man-no-way-home-green-goblin-social.jpg

I don't know, I want a Dafoe on my shelf, but 400 is a tough pill to swallow, not to mention everything else that's coming. I'm a big Gyllenhaal fan too, but I didn't get a Mysterio either. I might just end up POing only a Tobey-Man. I guess he'll be alone, but chances are Insomniac SM2 will feature the Superior skin, so I could pose the two together down the line. Maybe add a 2099 too if a proper Batman Beyond is too far away.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a debie downer, but I wondered if anyone else sees what I see. I have a feeling the Final Battle version will look fuller, more realistic, due to all the exposed whiring and parts making the suit look more like actual armour. Maybe I'll wait till that and see where I go from there. But I suppose by then I'll already have other POs taking its place. We'll see, I'm still undecided. But I paid nearly the same for Thanos, and while he's an imposing display piece that feels worth its cash, this one just looks like a really, really good action figure instead of a high quality collectible meant for displaying.

I get what you mean, but I think that's because it's a figure of a CG recreation of a toyish costume from 20 years ago. The most realistic this thing ever looked was in the final fight of SM1 when it was caked in so much dust that its color was nearly unrecognizable.

I wish someone with Photoshop skills would fill in the appropriate areas with purple to approximate what this would look like with comic book Green Goblin colors. I always thought this suit would've looked a hundred times better if Raimi had just made that one simple change.

I'm fairly sure they're going for something like this, since it's the most iconic shot of Dafoe as Osborn.

willem-dafoe-green-goblin.jpeg

HoOsKwv.png
Dafoe has the perfect face for Goblin. Doesn't need a mask to be creepy. Now, imagine if the "cure" injected in the apartment caused him to mutate into a actual Goblin face haha.

Anyway I am glad we are getting a extra head sculpt.

I think you also have to contribute it looking like a toy to the actual design of this Green Goblin. He literally looks like a walking action figure. Something you would see straight out of Power Rangers.

I don't really think there's much that Hot Toys can do here to improve it that much further. He's a dude in a skin tight green onesies with a static Halloween looking mask. One thing that would improve it would be if they toned down the overly glossy finish they did on him. It's the same situation you get with the Iron Man figures. Too much gloss and it looks like cheap plastic. Throw in some matte finish and it looks higher end. Beyond that though there isn't much they can do here.

I'm not even that much a fan of this costume. It's really what Dafoe did with it that makes it stand out and be memorable but yeah a matte finish on this guy would have helped as bunch.

T8aX324.png
t678yNa.png

4UuJS4w.png
giphy.gif

One thing that would improve it would be if they toned down the overly glossy finish they did on him. It's the same situation you get with the Iron Man figures. Too much gloss and it looks like cheap plastic. Throw in some matte finish and it looks higher end. Beyond that though there isn't much they can do here.

I'm not even that much a fan of this costume. It's really what Dafoe did with it that makes it stand out and be memorable but yeah a matte finish on this guy would have helped as bunch.
You might've hit it there. It's still a toyish design, no doubt, but the film suit (at least in SM1) had a more matte finish for sure. The iridescent effect also gave it depth and it's absent on this figure. I don't recall seeing it in NWH so there's technically no reason for HT to do it here, but it would give the base figure some much-needed oomph.

Last edited:

SHgrGfG.jpg
Hmm...that blurred out photo of the prototype is still detailed enough to be concerning because it doesn't look good at all...

Hmm...that blurred out photo of the prototype is still detailed enough to be concerning because it doesn't look good at all...
Well they have at least 18 months to improve it. I’d guess it’s blurred because it’s not finished yet.

I get what you mean, but I think that's because it's a figure of a CG recreation of a toyish costume from 20 years ago. The most realistic this thing ever looked was in the final fight of SM1 when it was caked in so much dust that its color was nearly unrecognizable.
You are right. Maybe I was focused on my idea of it, rather than the costume itself. It really is a pretty dorky design. I got used to it over the years, due to a mixture of nostalgia and just seeing the good in it (like the mask), but its age and limitations show. I just was expecting the figure to be a bit more... imposing, I guess. Some padding to the muscles, a more form-fitting look in general. As it stands it looks like a toy so much that I cannot see it meshing well with my other HTs. It might be just me who sees it that "off", but I can't unsee it. I don't see it being a 400€ figure that can stand next to Thanos or Jack Sparrow and look equally "alive".

for-those-reasons-im-out.gif

Maybe. Probably. I'll give it another thought, but the excitement slowly dies as my worries increase.

I think you also have to contribute it looking like a toy to the actual design of this Green Goblin. He literally looks like a walking action figure. Something you would see straight out of Power Rangers.

I don't really think there's much that Hot Toys can do here to improve it that much further. He's a dude in a skin tight green onesies with a static Halloween looking mask. One thing that would improve it would be if they toned down the overly glossy finish they did on him. It's the same situation you get with the Iron Man figures. Too much gloss and it looks like cheap plastic. Throw in some matte finish and it looks higher end. Beyond that though there isn't much they can do here.

T8aX324.png
t678yNa.png

4UuJS4w.png
giphy.gif
I think it looks "worse" than the old Power Rangers. Mostly because the material used isn't what it's supposed to be. The Goblin suit is supposed to be power armour, but due to limitations of the time it was just a onesie with some foam bits glued on top. Instead of improving upon that in NWH and making it look like armour, they kept it more or less the same. I can't get over the suit having sleeves when he's supposed to also be wearing gauntlets of sort. I guess I never paid much attention to it, and in my mind it was a cool looking, if inaccurate, armour. But it turns out it's a literal Halloween costume. I was probably too focused ont he cool mask and transfered its qualities to the rest of the look too.

I don't know. I feel like a party wrecker, but it's just not doing it for me. It's accurate to the source, it's really not HT's fault here. It's just that the end result, if seen without the nostalgia goggles, looks rather so-so. To me, anyhow. I suppose I like the tailored suits and armours more. If Norman was still amongst my favourites I'd be more inclined to bite the bullet, but as it stands I'm probably going to prioritise others. A great Dafoe sculpt is the only thing that really pulls me still, but from that blurry pic and that side profile, it's not looking all that great.

I wish someone with Photoshop skills would fill in the appropriate areas with purple to approximate what this would look like with comic book Green Goblin colors. I always thought this suit would've looked a hundred times better if Raimi had just made that one simple change.
Someone did this a while back:

green-goblin-spider-man-no-way-home-fan-edit.png

Although it doesn't make sense in-universe, it looks good. Maybe if the suit had more mixed media and other colours to break the monotony, it wouldn't look that "cheap", even if the materials remained the same.

I haven’t gotten a Hot Toys figure in years.

This Goblin (and the Forever Batman and Robin) will change that.

Only thing that pisses me off is, this shouldn’t have taken so long. Hot Toys should have made this 10 YEARS ago when we were all clamoring for it. Osborn and Doc Ock. As a company, I just don’t get them. It shouldn’t have taken a new movie to make these characters “relevant” for toys. The reluctancy these toy companies have for older licenses that they OWN is ridiculous.

But yeah, I can’t wait. He looks awesome. Really hoping that Norman Osborn portrait comes out looking great. Love that they have him grinning. IF it turns out well, I might get two to display both.

The only thing I don’t like is the glider. I prefer the sharpness and colors of the original 2001. It looked more threatening, more aerodynamic and much sharper. There’s too much purple on the new one and it doesn’t look as dangerous. I wish they just gave us the V1 glider with this release and the V2 glider with the hooded/goggles No Way Home Goblin (which is a no brainer, if they don’t do him utilizing these parts, they’re nuts).

This guy should have been a thing years ago. I hope these companies wake up and listen to people instead of always missing the boat. This is the kind of **** most collectors want. Just look at all the hype and positive responses these teasers and reveals have created. Can’t wait to see Ock.

Only thing that pisses me off is, this shouldn’t have taken so long. Hot Toys should have made this 10 YEARS ago when we were all clamoring for it. Osborn and Doc Ock. As a company, I just don’t get them. It shouldn’t have taken a new movie to make these characters “relevant” for toys. The reluctancy these toy companies have for older licenses that they OWN is ridiculous.

But yeah, I can’t wait. He looks awesome. Really hoping that Norman Osborn portrait comes out looking great. Love that they have him grinning. IF it turns out well, I might get two to display both.

The only thing I don’t like is the glider. I prefer the sharpness and colors of the original 2001. It looked more threatening, more aerodynamic and much sharper. There’s too much purple on the new one and it doesn’t look as dangerous. I wish they just gave us the V1 glider with this release and the V2 glider with the hooded/goggles No Way Home Goblin (which is a no brainer, if they don’t do him utilizing these parts, they’re nuts).

This guy should have been a thing years ago. I hope these companies wake up and listen to people instead of always missing the boat. This is the kind of **** most collectors want. Just look at all the hype and positive responses these teasers and reveals have created. Can’t wait to see Ock.
I hope preorder sales go through the roof and prove how silly they were not to make Goblin and Ock way back.

Head sculpt would’ve sucked 10 years ago.

But I agree about the glider.

Back