1/6 Hot Toys- MMS631 - Spider-Man: No Way Home - Green Goblin Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And as for the tired but true “he looks like a Power Ranger” argument that goes all the way back to 2000 . . .

Don’t forget what inspired the Power Rangers

DE30E145-41CE-4670-8EB7-7E893DA48FA8.jpeg
E403529D-EEA8-400B-8C47-BA49D60B0B52.jpeg

Full circle. I always loved the Dafoe Goblin, suit and all. Especially at the end when he beats the snot out of Spider-Man in the abandoned building. Does he look like a Power ranger villain? Absolutely. But that’s not a bad thing to me. He’s a lunatic in a goblin costume, it’s supposed to be comic booky. At the time movie villains all looked boring. We had old man Ian McKellen in a black suit. Bald ass Colin Ferrel in his Matrix cosplay. Stephen Dorff in . . . casual clothes. Green Goblin looked and felt like he complimented movie Spider-Man and that world. The movie Batmen would look the same way if you painted their suits a garish metallic green, especially the TDK suit which has the same segmented armor plating that this guy always had.

I love this. If they had given him the V1 glider, his trident and maybe some more pumpkin bombs with the razor blades attached, it’d be perfect.

Last edited:
The only thing I don’t like is the glider. I prefer the sharpness and colors of the original 2001. It looked more threatening, more aerodynamic and much sharper. There’s too much purple on the new one and it doesn’t look as dangerous. I wish they just gave us the V1 glider with this release and the V2 glider with the hooded/goggles No Way Home Goblin (which is a no brainer, if they don’t do him utilizing these parts, they’re nuts).

This guy should have been a thing years ago. I hope these companies wake up and listen to people instead of always missing the boat. This is the kind of **** most collectors want. Just look at all the hype and positive responses these teasers and reveals have created. Can’t wait to see Ock.
Head sculpt would’ve sucked 10 years ago.

But I agree about the glider.
Well, Marvel/Sony had him show up in NWH on this V2 glider, so HT really didn't have the option of releasing the V1 glider for this movie as it never appeared. But yes, they had plenty of opportunity to release that version in the last 20 years.

The head sculpt would have sucked 15 years ago. 10 years ago it could have gone either way.

Difabio why you no buy TE version

:chase
Good question. This is not directed at DiFabio, but I'm baffled at times by people's undying allegiance to HT and their "superior quality". HT is king of the hill for quality no question, but their responsiveness to collectors' wants/desires is practically nonexistent. This "I'll wait for HT's version" mentality does none of us any favors when it comes to getting figures released in a reasonable timeframe. If not for 3rd party manufacturers like SooSooToys and TE beating them to the punch, I sincerely doubt HT would have teased the Classic Loki figure or done such a good job on the design of this V2 glider. Hell they may have skipped the glider altogether or (more likely) charged even more for the deluxe. And to those proclaiming that HT has dethroned TE in terms of having the best Green Goblin figure & glider, my response is "Yes, but not until 2024 for your collections...unless your name is Howard Chan". :lol

Not to come off as a case of early sour grapes, but... does it look kind of underwhelming to anyone else? It looks more like a toy, and less like a scaled down replica of a real person. The body's a bit too thin, the suit looks like a onesie, the all-green colour looks too... simple? I know that the trousers and sleeves looking like that instead of seamless is screen-accurate, but looking at it I can't help but feel underwhelmed. The head looks great, but the more my eyes wander down, the more I feel like nearly half a grand is too much for a literal plastic toy that'll get creases in no time. The molded hands just throw me off completely.

89ffb5300939878e0525e54c362acf98.png

I got into the scale and hobby because of the great tailoring and headsculpts, and this is sort of lacking in both. Don't get me wrong, I have more toyetic figures such as Thanos and Iron Man, but those still manage to come off as lifelike and of high quality. This looks like a high quality toy, but still, it looks like a toy. I can't unsee it and be immersed. As it stands, I'm more interested because I like Dafoe, plus my nostalgia, rather than being impressed with it. It's supposed to be a form of power armour, but it looks like a onesie made out of foam. It lacks the punch of a real world replica. Which isn't really HT's fault, as even in NWH it still looked flimsy and plasticy.

spider-man-no-way-home-green-goblin-social.jpg

I don't know, I want a Dafoe on my shelf, but 400 is a tough pill to swallow, not to mention everything else that's coming. I'm a big Gyllenhaal fan too, but I didn't get a Mysterio either. I might just end up POing only a Tobey-Man. I guess he'll be alone, but chances are Insomniac SM2 will feature the Superior skin, so I could pose the two together down the line. Maybe add a 2099 too if a proper Batman Beyond is too far away.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a debie downer, but I wondered if anyone else sees what I see. I have a feeling the Final Battle version will look fuller, more realistic, due to all the exposed whiring and parts making the suit look more like actual armour. Maybe I'll wait till that and see where I go from there. But I suppose by then I'll already have other POs taking its place. We'll see, I'm still undecided. But I paid nearly the same for Thanos, and while he's an imposing display piece that feels worth its cash, this one just looks like a really, really good action figure instead of a high quality collectible meant for displaying.
No I'm with you, my interest in this particular figure only goes so far as informing what to expect from the final battle version, which like you I also expect to be the much more interesting figure.

The glider is super cool, and the goblin mask is cool, but this particular suit itself has always been really goofy for all of the reasons already mentioned. No different than what Mysterio looks like when you strip him down to just the green undersuit, it all just feels like the base layer to apply some more visual interest over top. Which, is exactly what they did with the final battle suit.

This particular Goblin has always looked best in angles and poses that minimize his body and let the mask and glider be the focus. Because when he's standing straight up and down it's just so. much. green.

1643123434208.png

I haven’t gotten a Hot Toys figure in years.

This Goblin (and the Forever Batman and Robin) will change that.

Only thing that pisses me off is, this shouldn’t have taken so long. Hot Toys should have made this 10 YEARS ago when we were all clamoring for it. Osborn and Doc Ock. As a company, I just don’t get them. It shouldn’t have taken a new movie to make these characters “relevant” for toys. The reluctancy these toy companies have for older licenses that they OWN is ridiculous.

But yeah, I can’t wait. He looks awesome. Really hoping that Norman Osborn portrait comes out looking great. Love that they have him grinning. IF it turns out well, I might get two to display both.

The only thing I don’t like is the glider. I prefer the sharpness and colors of the original 2001. It looked more threatening, more aerodynamic and much sharper. There’s too much purple on the new one and it doesn’t look as dangerous. I wish they just gave us the V1 glider with this release and the V2 glider with the hooded/goggles No Way Home Goblin (which is a no brainer, if they don’t do him utilizing these parts, they’re nuts).

This guy should have been a thing years ago. I hope these companies wake up and listen to people instead of always missing the boat. This is the kind of **** most collectors want. Just look at all the hype and positive responses these teasers and reveals have created. Can’t wait to see Ock.
Knowing the manufacturing process of these things I don't think these could've been anywhere near as good 10 years ago, there has been tons of development when it comes to materials, machinery, paint, tailoring, and fact is it's still evolving every year, so yeah took a while but you're definitely getting a much, much better figure than you would've a decade ago.

Comapring the Toys Era version to the Hot Toys version in that side by side photo, it looks like the mask has been redesigned for the movie. I thought the mask looked a lot creepier in the trailers for the movie and the Hot Toys figure confirms this for me.

Difabio why you no buy TE version

:chase
I actually intended on buying it but never got around to it.

Now, I don’t think I can. Part of the reason is the lack of a really good Spider-Man to go with it. I have the original Spider-Man 3 red and blue and the black symbiote suit with Maguire head, but they could both be so much better.

I actually don’t think the Toy Era one looks bad at all. Atleast they took a stab at it without needing a movie to convince them to do so.

I’ve already been down this road before though. My first foray with 1/6 was the Hot Toys hamburger face T-800 and the Takara Batman. There’s always something better on the horizon if you’re patient enough. I remember when the HT V1 original costume Batman came out for TDK, I was one of the ones holding my rosary beads swearing up and down that the Takara was better when in reality, I didn’t feel like paying another $150 for another Batman figure. When I got the Hot Toys one though, needless to say, it was better.

It’d be silly to get the Toys Era one now. I don’t really like Hot Toys anymore, but I’ve been waiting for a Green Goblin like this for over a decade.

Good question. This is not directed at DiFabio, but I'm baffled at times by people's undying allegiance to HT and their "superior quality". HT is king of the hill for quality no question, but their responsiveness to collectors' wants/desires is practically nonexistent. This "I'll wait for HT's version" mentality does none of us any favors when it comes to getting figures released in a reasonable timeframe. If not for 3rd party manufacturers like SooSooToys and TE beating them to the punch, I sincerely doubt HT would have teased the Classic Loki figure or done such a good job on the design of this V2 glider. Hell they may have skipped the glider altogether or (more likely) charged even more for the deluxe. And to those proclaiming that HT has dethroned TE in terms of having the best Green Goblin figure & glider, my response is "Yes, but not until 2024 for your collections...unless your name is Howard Chan". :lol
I think Hot Toys is deserving of criticism for their lack of communication but a lot of people dont understand how much of a hassle dealing with licensors and approvals can be, third parties pump out stuff faster because they don't have to deal with any of that crap, in some cases you will be waiting months just to hear back from one of the parties involved just to be able to get approved on an accessory or a sculpt.

Not to mention they have to make a profit on all the rights and the likeness they pay for, another thing third parties don't have to deal with, which allows them to keep the prices relatively low, not to mention third parties will spend less money producing their figures in factories nowhere near the caliber of Hot Toys's main factory, however third parties are catching up in terms of production quality because a lot of the old equipment is becoming obsolete.

So yeah you will be chargerd more, you will wait longer but the fact is Hot Toys is still the best in the field, and I'm not a Hot Toys fanboy, just trying to make others unsterstand what a complicated process it is to deal with all the licences, approvals and contracts when you're producing licensed stuff.

I have no allegiance to HT, I give them a lot of ****, but the TE version of Goblin and especially Ock don’t really wow me. Plus I just prefer official products, the names of the third party figures just put me off for some reason.

The only third party figures that come to mind that I think have knocked it out of the park are Limtoys Gunslinger, SooSoo Cajun Card Dealer and Gametoys Cloud & Sephiroth. There are others that are good but they just don’t have any wow factor for me.

I was going to buy the TE one, but now I’m glad I didn’t. Looking at it next to the HT one is night and day. I’m not gonna buy a figure just to fill a place on the display until a better one comes along.

And I don’t mind the wait, it’s just par for the course now and I’ll get it eventually. I’m still young :lol

I think Hot Toys is deserving of criticism for their lack of communication but a lot of people dont understand how much of a hassle dealing with licensors and approvals can be, third parties pump out stuff faster because they don't have to deal with any of that crap, in some cases you will be waiting months just to hear back from one of the parties involved just to be able to get approved on an accessory or a sculpt.

Not to mention they have to make a profit on all the rights and the likeness they pay for, another thing third parties don't have to deal with, which allows them to keep the prices relatively low, not to mention third parties will spend less money producing their figures in factories nowhere near the caliber of Hot Toys's main factory, however third parties are catching up in terms of production quality because a lot of the old equipment is becoming obsolete.

So yeah you will be chargerd more, you will wait longer but the fact is Hot Toys is still the best in the field, and I'm not a Hot Toys fanboy, just trying to make others unsterstand what a complicated process it is to deal with all the licences, approvals and contracts when you're producing licensed stuff.
Yes, I understand the headaches and delays that comes with making officially licensed products, but that doesn't excuse HT for waiting 20 years to produce a GG figure or their habit of showing prototypes and then never releasing them.

I have no allegiance to HT, I give them a lot of ****, but the TE version of Goblin and especially Ock don’t really wow me. Plus I just prefer official products, the names of the third party figures just put me off for some reason.

The only third party figures that come to mind that I think have knocked it out of the park are Limtoys Gunslinger, SooSoo Cajun Card Dealer and Gametoys Cloud & Sephiroth. There are others that are good but they just don’t have any wow factor for me.

I was going to buy the TE one, but now I’m glad I didn’t. Looking at it next to the HT one is night and day. I’m not gonna buy a figure just to fill a place on the display until a better one comes along.

And I don’t mind the wait, it’s just par for the course now and I’ll get it eventually. I’m still young :lol
I get the hesitancy over pre-ordering 3rd party figures, especially after the last two In-Famous figures (Proxima Midnight & Corvus Glaive). But the glider on the TE GG release looked like a home run from day 1, so even if the figure's suit turned out to be sub-par (it isn't) I didn't see it as that big of a risk. And now it turns out the TE glider is the only OG glider we'll be getting unless HT comes out with a Spider-Man 25th anniversary retro version in 2026....that will release in 2028. Sorry, but I'm not as young as you. :lol

I've had the TE Goblin in my collection since January 2021, so I'll have enjoyed it for probably 3 years before I could add to it or replace it with the HT version. I look at it like buying different HT iterations of a character like Thor or Captain America.....except I paid a LOT less than what one of those HT figures would have cost me. :wink1:

Yes, I understand the headaches and delays that comes with making officially licensed products, but that doesn't excuse HT for waiting 20 years to produce a GG figure or their habit of showing prototypes and then never releasing them.

I get the hesitancy over pre-ordering 3rd party figures, especially after the last two In-Famous figures (Proxima Midnight & Corvus Glaive). But the glider on the TE GG release looked like a home run from day 1, so even if the figure's suit turned out to be sub-par (it isn't) I didn't see it as that big of a risk. And now it turns out the TE glider is the only OG glider we'll be getting unless HT comes out with a Spider-Man 25th anniversary retro version in 2026....that will release in 2028. Sorry, but I'm not as young as you. :lol

I've had the TE Goblin in my collection since January 2021, so I'll have enjoyed it for probably 3 years before I could add to it or replace it with the HT version. I look at it like buying different HT iterations of a character like Thor or Captain America.....except I paid a LOT less than what one of those HT figures would have cost me. :wink1:
20 years ago the figure would be nowhere near the quality it can be now, this field has been evolving so rapidly in the last few years that now is really the perfect time for them to make GG, third parties also didn't even attempt to make GG until last year, for the very same reason, the figure would've been harder to produce all those years ago when the space was still finding it's footing with materials and so on.

I kind of just want the glider to paint the purple bits metal and use it for a comic book Goblin. I like the design a lot more than this suit.

This figure says No Way Home. They are not making the 2002 version nor anything specific to that movie. Same goes for Doc.Licensing wouldn't let them do that unless they buy another license.

20 years ago the figure would be nowhere near the quality it can be now, this field has been evolving so rapidly in the last few years that now is really the perfect time for them to make GG, third parties also didn't even attempt to make GG until last year, for the very same reason, the figure would've been harder to produce all those years ago when the space was still finding it's footing with materials and so on.
No argument there but I've got to believe they could have come up with something. Heck, the material combinations of the TDK Batman from 2009 shows that HT could have produced a reasonable looking GG back then if they put their minds to it.

Buffinator: “Well, to each his own. I chose my path, you chose the way of the HT wait game and they found you amusing for a while, the people of this forum. But the one thing they love more than a license is to see Sideshow fail, fall, die trying….

“This is why only fools are HT diehards - because you never know when some lunatic 3rd party supporter will come along with a sadistic choice. Let die the figure you love... or suffer the little collectors? Make your choice, darthkostis and see how a HT collector is rewarded!

darthkostis: “Don't do it Buffinator”

Buffinator: We are who we choose to buy... now, *choose*!

A950207D-5FBE-45E6-9038-09BF136D6BCA.png

Last edited:
No argument there but I've got to believe they could have come up with something. Heck, the material combinations of the TDK Batman from 2009 shows that HT could have produced a reasonable looking GG back then if they put their minds to it.
They could've but it would not be this GG right here, life works itself out eventually, thanks to No Way Home not only do we get to see these awesome characters on screen again but we get to see Hot Toys finally making them, if there ever was a time for them to make GG and Doc Ock it's now, when they have the knowledge, tools and materials and a brand new behemoth of a movie featuring them, they also have a chance to make a proper Tobey in his classic suit now.

Comapring the Toys Era version to the Hot Toys version in that side by side photo, it looks like the mask has been redesigned for the movie. I thought the mask looked a lot creepier in the trailers for the movie and the Hot Toys figure confirms this for me.
Yes it was, this is known. A lot of angles and edges were smoothed, toned down or modified, seemingly to reduce the power rangers aesthetic of the original. Most notably in the brow and top of head. Not enough of a disruption to be jarring, just some careful massaging of the overall design, which I think really helped. The small Hot Toys sculpt can't really capture the subtly of some of the changes that were made for the movie, but in this scale you can still notice that the center edge running up the head has been smoothed out, that's the most obvious change (and I like it).

Comparing this sculpt to reference from the movie I actually think a few of the new helmet changes have been missed, making this appear almost like a hybrid between the original and the NWH version of the helmet. The exact shape of the brow (in which this figure still retains the harsh angles of the original), how the lines of the top head lump meet the edges of the helmet, there are still some details of this sculpt that seem to match the original moreso than the NWH version. But most people don't notice it, because we've seen a lot more of the classic version than we saw of the revised version in NWH.
Personally I'd prefer it to fully match the NWH version because I like that version better, but 99.9% of people won't ever notice or care so I don't expect them to update it much from the proto. This existing version will match peoples' memories, if not one exact version. But my fingers are crossed for more sculpt updates regardless.

Last edited:
The real question. Since Hot Toys only gave us Goblin and not Doc Ock at the same time. Which one do you think they will give us first Andrew or Tobey? Could we also see a Deluxe Lab Coat version?

Back