Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just to be clear, I'm not dogpiling on the movie cause I hate Snyder. I'm a fan. I really like a LOT of his stuff. I saw what he was doing with BvS and I loved it.

This certainly isn't the worst movie I've ever seen. The things I found most egregious were the typical current-day Hollywood tropes, (tiny woman defeating hordes of huge men, etc.) not necessarily the "Snyder-isms."

I guess there are people out there that just wanna hate everything this guy does, but that's just silly. I strongly dislike most of Nolan's output and I realize that makes me a minority. But I still watch his movies and at least hope for it to be good this time, instead of automatically deciding I'll hate it before I see it.

Same with Wes Anderson. What a thoroughly unlikable smug face that pretentious wanker has. I liked Rushmore and Tenenbaums, but with each subsequent release, the guy crawled further and further up his own ass to be closer to that precious fart smell he loves so much. But I gave "Henry Sugar" a chance and I found it utterly delightful.

Dislike "Rebel Moon" because it's one of the most utterly lazy rehashes of tired cliched tropes in movie history, not because Zak Snyder directed it.
Fair.

I wasn't in love with the female lead either and it will and has definitely cast a shadow of my opinion of the film. Especially the black "general". I'm sick to death of him being cast for these same roles over and over.

That actor has become a one trick pony at this point and I absolutely hate seeing him star in.. anything.

I'd say casting hurt the film in the worst way, above all else. The one character I connected with and loved was Ray Fisher. I loved him in that role and damn if they didn't throw him away.

Casting was just not great in this.

Watched last night, had a great start but slowly started getting worse as time went on. Charlie's Irish accent gave me nightmares.
The man cannot act to save his life. I've said this since Sons of Anarchy. Guy never impressed me.

It's OK to like or even LOVE a bad movie.
I like movies such as Prometheus and Sucker Punch while knowing full well they are bad. I agree it is fine to love bad movies, so long as one isn't trying to claim they are actually high art.

As for why the movie gets a lot of hate I have another factor to offer: a film that is great is beloved, and those movies that are just so incredibly bad they become hugely entertaining are also beloved (The Room for example, or Niel Breens movies). The worst sin for a movie is to to be bad. Not so incredibly bad it is enetertaining, just bad enough to not be entertaining at all. If a film is just meh it is comitting a sin far worse than the Room. A film that is derivative meh will be the most hated purely because it could easily have been better. My analogy from earlier in the thread of Snyder having all the ingredients for something great but choosing to make the most generic dish possible is the unforgivable sin

I think the problem people have with Snyder and the fans is that Everytime he makes a film he’s like “o no this isn’t my vision my other guy is better” like dude atleast try and make a good two hr film. And then his fans get upset cause they think he had some deeper meaning in his movies that you don’t understand so they get upset when you say you don’t like the movie but in reality his movies are just terrible. They suck. End of story. There is no deep meaning behind his films or hidden anything. I haven’t seen rebel moon yet so imma check this out and see what all the fuss is about.

I think the problem people have with Snyder and the fans is that Everytime he makes a film he’s like “o no this isn’t my vision my other guy is better” like dude atleast try and make a good two hr film. And then his fans get upset cause they think he had some deeper meaning in his movies that you don’t understand so they get upset when you say you don’t like the movie but in reality his movies are just terrible. They suck. End of story. There is no deep meaning behind his films or hidden anything. I haven’t seen rebel moon yet so imma check this out and see what all the fuss is about.
Lol

Alright. Yeah, his "fans" get upset cause they think there's a deeper meaning. Ok..

Sir, I'm a fan. They're just movies. Not cival rights movements. Some of us are astounded by how the masses say there's nothing worth enjoying from his films, it's true.

But at the end of the day, you can't please everyone.

Idk what it might have taken for you or anyone else that obviously hate any and all films attached to this man to see any semblance of good in them. Aside from the visuals - of which, don't bother discussing. You either hate them or love them.

I just don't enjoy the obvious hate train.

As a fan of the man's work, even I can bring up many faults. Literally none of the films he's made are 9's+ on the 10-star count. Obviously. But to (basically suggest) ZS has no business continuing to make AND WRITE certain films going forward?

In comparison to what? What are you basing this absolute disgust over?

So why defend it? You're never going to change our minds. We watched the movie. We gave it a chance. It was a real stinker.
I'm actually glad he and others are around to share their opinions, especially when you can tell they're not knee-jerk reactions. I highly appreciate the ideas/theories that are fully formed over many years. Within my social circle, I'm normally the one that is asked to explain plot holes and character decisions and foreshadowing and red herrings and family trees, etc.

But sometimes, I just don't get a movie. BvS is one of those. I understand why Batman would believe he needed to prevent Superman from breaking bad. But when I watch that movie, I personally don't believe that Bruce/Bats believes it, it's too far from the character...it does not compute for me. (Unless you really change things up like Dark Knight Returns where his age and the state of the world have completely affected who Batman becomes.) And for Bvs, I've always figured Snyder failed me. But he's obviously reached a subset of his audience and I'm still intrigued as to what I missed. So I really enjoy reading a non-aggressive, opinion piece that may offer some perspective I haven't thought about yet.

I've only watched 30 minutes or so of Rebel Moon and so far it's exactly what I was expecting. I keep seeing 'Star Wars Killer' in this thread and I can't believe anyone here thinks that was ever a possibility. Has there ever been a '_____ Killer' that actually was the better version? Star Was was/is a phenomenon and a label like that is basically a death sentence.

Anyways, I guess I'm trying to say it's easy to hate and I personally find posts defending any idea 1000x more enlightening that those that say something sucks. (And, yes, I've made both types.)

I'm actually glad he and others are around to share their opinions, especially when you can tell they're not knee-jerk reactions. I highly appreciate the ideas/theories that are fully formed over many years. Within my social circle, I'm normally the one that is asked to explain plot holes and character decisions and foreshadowing and red herrings and family trees, etc.

But sometimes, I just don't get a movie. BvS is one of those. I understand why Batman would believe he needed to prevent Superman from breaking bad. But when I watch that movie, I personally don't believe that Bruce/Bats believes it, it's too far from the character...it does not compute for me. (Unless you really change things up like Dark Knight Returns where his age and the state of the world have completely affected who Batman becomes.) And for Bvs, I've always figured Snyder failed me. But he's obviously reached a subset of his audience and I'm still intrigued as to what I missed. So I really enjoy reading a non-aggressive, opinion piece that may offer some perspective I haven't thought about yet.

I've only watched 30 minutes or so of Rebel Moon and so far it's exactly what I was expecting. I keep seeing 'Star Wars Killer' in this thread and I can't believe anyone here thinks that was ever a possibility. Has there ever been a '_____ Killer' that actually was the better version? Star Was was/is a phenomenon and a label like that is basically a death sentence.

Anyways, I guess I'm trying to say it's easy to hate and I personally find posts defending any idea 1000x more enlightening that those that say something sucks. (And, yes, I've made both types.)
While I agree the "Star Wars killer" headline only served to hurt the film, it would only take a theatrical re-release of Space Balls to claim that title right now.

Star Wars is on life support, obviously.

I think one more thing about Snyder that affects his response- he is a very earnest film maker in a time when earnestness isn't popular. Snark, sarcasm, snappy dialog, Marvel buddy-cop formula, subverting expectations, all of that is "in" these days, and his style is very much the opposite of that.

I'm not sure if this is an ultra simplified breakdown of how he makes films, or it's his entire process...

I'm not sure if this is an ultra simplified breakdown of how he makes films, or it's his entire process...

That is..

Hilarious for various reasons.

Certainly hope he doesn't get too invested in the Snyder Bros Inc.

While they love his stuff, it's for all the wrong reasons. Imo.

Last edited:
Watched today and thought it was fine!

Ok worldbuilding, though more context for a lot of the state of the galaxy would be nice.

Snyder's strength is definitely cinematography. Some beautiful shots scattered throughout. Slow motion is his version of JJ Abrams lens flare.

Sci-fi Magnificent Seven/WWII movie. Acting was fine, though a few of the characters seemed to speak in monotome. When the droid has more vocal emotion than the leads, there is an issue. Overall I'll watch the next part and see what shakes out!

Lol

Alright. Yeah, his "fans" get upset cause they think there's a deeper meaning. Ok..

Sir, I'm a fan. They're just movies. Not cival rights movements. Some of us are astounded by how the masses say there's nothing worth enjoying from his films, it's true.

But at the end of the day, you can't please everyone.

Idk what it might have taken for you or anyone else that obviously hate any and all films attached to this man to see any semblance of good in them. Aside from the visuals - of which, don't bother discussing. You either hate them or love them.

I just don't enjoy the obvious hate train.

As a fan of the man's work, even I can bring up many faults. Literally none of the films he's made are 9's+ on the 10-star count. Obviously. But to (basically suggest) ZS has no business continuing to make AND WRITE certain films going forward?

In comparison to what? What are you basing this absolute disgust . There is no “hate train” people just don’t like his movies and the fans alsways crying about how everyone is against the dude. For what? He’s no one special . He’s just a director who enjoys he has a cult following him. That’s why he baited them with hints that his dead universe will be restored for months instead of actually giving an official word.
I don’t hate him I just think his movies suck and the weird attacks from his fans don’t help either. It may not be you or alatar but silly “you guys are just haters and don’t understand his artistic vision” is stupid.
Seriously it happened with that bloated mess Batman v superman and now here.
It’s not just blind hate. The movies just suck and this is coming from someone who was excited for bvs and sucker punch.
Also yea I think he should be a cinematographer but to headline a whole universe? No.
As you can see he can’t make a 2 hr movie he needs about 5 hrs tops to do his vision Justice.
So I’m like if Everytime you put something out and say it’s not what I wanted to actually do then damn maybe stop making movies and write books or something.

Last edited:
I think one more thing about Snyder that affects his response- he is a very earnest film maker in a time when earnestness isn't popular. Snark, sarcasm, snappy dialog, Marvel buddy-cop formula, subverting expectations, all of that is "in" these days, and his style is very much the opposite of that.
Yea I mean that’s cool but the movies just aren’t good writing wise. Like a great story is there. Like sucker punch. That’s a very interesting take and that’s super original and could have been a classic. But the execution is just terrible. Also what’s with the marvel hate lately lol😂.

Back in 2012 everyone was sooooooo hype about marvel and avengers 2012 even tho it was a bland movie and people loved the mcu even tho they didn’t have half there characters. That universe was broken. I just find it funny how everyone called it mcu when it only consisted of the avengers and none of the characters that put marvel on the map lol.
I guess I always saw marvel as this meh thing until civil war 😂

Last edited:
I don’t hate him I just think his movies suck and the weird attacks from his fans don’t help either. It may not be you or alatar but silly “you guys are just haters and don’t understand his artistic vision” is stupid.
Seriously it happened with that bloated mess Batman v superman and now here.
It’s not just blind hate. The movies just suck and this is coming from someone who was excited for bvs and sucker punch.
Also yea I think he should be a cinematographer but to headline a whole universe? No.
As you can see he can’t make a 2 hr movie he needs about 5 hrs tops to do his vision Justice.
So I’m like if Everytime you put something out and say it’s not what I wanted to actually do then damn maybe stop making movies and write books or something.
This can go both ways. If you genuinely dislike the guys films - why watch? Just get on with life and ignore his films. But we BOTH know you are incapable of that, do we not?

I don't care for James Gunn movies and it has f-all to do with him coming into the ass-end of the the previous ZS works.

I genuinely find overly cringey/raunchy comedy that a 14 yr old would likely laugh at - uninteresting.
That's how I feel about the man's work based on what he's given us. Homelander is not my cup of tea.

GOTG did not require a trilogy. I was good after the first one - which I quite did not hate.

Last edited:
So why defend it? You're never going to change our minds. We watched the movie. We gave it a chance. It was a real stinker.

I understand that you love the movie. But "defending" the movie isn't going to make the movie appreciate all of your efforts and love you back.

My favorite movie is AKIRA. I used to get angry at people that didn't "get it" and tell them that they were "wrong." But one day I finally took a step back and admitted to myself that yes, if they hadn't read the manga a hundred times before seeing the movie, then yes indeed the film has some serious narrative problems. And despite the beautiful animation, not everyone is into the hyper-violence in the movie. So I stopped trying to push it on people. If they don't like it, that's fine.

Now I wonder why I ever gave a **** what other people think in the first place. It's still MY favorite movie, so who cares?

So you like a movie that almost nobody else likes. Yet you still have this air of "I'm right about this movie and everyone else on the planet is wrong!!" in your posts.

It's OK to like or even LOVE a bad movie.

Honestly, I’m not trying to change the minds of people that dislike or hate it. I’m speaking to those who don’t have a dog in the fight that are relatively openminded toward it. And because it’s a point of view that imho deserves to be heard.

I don’t expect us to agree in our assessment. It is not for me a “bad” movie. It is in fact is for me an excellent film. But there may be some who won’t just follow the herd, and watch it with their mind open to some of the things I mention, who can appreciate it more or less as I do. Or of course in other ways I haven’t thought of. But that will have a good experience watching it.

People can say that there are no deeper meanings purposefully embedded in the film, but simply asserting that, just saying that, in no way shape or form establishes it as a fact. It is their personal opinion, lol.

It’s not a fact that there are such meanings unless or until Zack himself specifically says they are there, and elaborates upon that to explain. But I’m simply asking those with an open mind to inspect what I’m sharing about what I see. If others don’t see it that’s fine! Nothing I can do. But if I’m right, more or less, and some can see it, that will make the effort worthwhile.

Last edited:
Is it really so hard to believe that there could be some deeper meanings to the film that the director is purposefully trying to convey?

People can say that there are no deeper meanings purposefully embedded in the film, but simply asserting that, just saying that, in no way shape or form establishes it as a fact. It is their personal opinion, lol.

It’s not a fact that there are such meanings unless or until Zack himself specifically says they are there, and elaborates upon that to explain. But I’m simply asking those with an open mind to inspect what I’m sharing about what I see. If others don’t see it that’s fine! Nothing I can do. But if I’m right, more or less, and some can see it, that will make the effort worthwhile.
You're not helping, my guy.

Meanings or not. That's for the audience to decide. The very idea of arguing "meaning" in a ZS film, (even as a fan) seems like a reach.

If you see it, cool. Doesn't warrant discussion imo.

Back