The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raping and beating women? I don?t recall songs about raping women aside from some Eminem songs but he has dark humor.

When he said that I took it as hyperbole referring to the misogynist lyrics and lifestyle heard in some sub-genres. I've personally never heard lyrics specifically about that, but I imagine they exist somewhere.

Taste is subjective. Not everything from the 80s is super amazing.

There is not a single 80s comedy film that is better
than the 00s Pixar lineup of Monster Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up.

The 80s Mad Max movies are atrocious. Utterly awful. Fast and Furious, at least the first two, are better movies in every aspect.

The reason I didn?t say John Wick is because this is a discussion about 00s movies vs 80s movies. 00s movies are movies released from 2000-2009.

Potter and Iron Man are 10x more popular than Terminator and Robocop, better movies too.

And what are you talking about barely anything from LOTR and Potter. Go to bigbadtoystore or entertainment earth. Type in all those 80 franchises and you will see just how little is being made compared to Potter and LOTR.

Hell, the number one collectible, Funko POPs, have Harry Potter as the top line each quarter a new wave is released. W

Not gonna waste the time typing a long response to Obvious Troll here.....I'll just let this tiny clip from 1984's Ghostbusters, one of the best comedies ever made in the history of humanity, sum it up for me.

Such a fascinating post. You should send that list of "significant" events to Billy Joel, so he can do a proper sequel to "We Didn't Start the Fire II", which came out in 1989. :lol

In all seriousness, I would add the Obama administration to that list.

Also, when did Rock music die? What killed it? Because there's literally no young popular rock bands. An that bothers me as a rock fan. Personally, I think rap and the removal of the blues influence from rock n roll killed the genre, along with napster and the internet. The few younger bands I've heard on the radio like Five Finger Death Punch sound generic AF. It's just awful.

I would say the Foo Fighters still rule the Rock zone. I would also say Shinedown was really good for the first 2 albums.

What has killed the music industry? Well the music industry did. I real a lot of biography?s and the common thread through them all is the artists of the 60-80?s all say the same thing about music today. It?s homogenized and packaged to sell to a wide audience ....and any creative aspects are killed by the corporate producer.

Same with movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not gonna waste the time typing a long response to Obvious Troll here.....I'll just let this tiny clip from 1984's Ghostbusters, one of the best comedies ever made in the history of humanity, sum it up for me.

Some piss poor acting. You want real comedy? Go watch SpongeBob. High quality stuff.

I would say the Foo Fighters still rule the Rock zone. I would also say Shinedown was really good for the first 2 albums.

Yeah, but Foo Fighters are old. All the old bands rule the rock zone and tours. There's a young group I found named Greta Van Fleet.I like their music, but they sound like a Led Zeppelin cover band, and the weird part is they dress like rock stars from the 70s. You can tell they are being told to dress like that to sell that image, but it comes across as unauthentic,and therefore, unoriginal. It's a shame because they are talented.

Music in general is made by young people for young people. The artists eventually grow old along with their core fanbase. Some keep picking up new fans along the way like the Rolling Stones and others just disappear. Most artists make it big when they're young. I just don't see any rock bands that started in the 2000s or 2010s. I just see all these old bands and some are pathetic, like Blink 182. They made it big in the late 90s and early 2000s singing about high school stuff, dressed like skateboarders and making music for that audience. Well, it's 2021, they still dress the same way and they're singing about high school bull #####. Literally, one of their newer videos is set in a high school and all their videos have teenagers in them as if actual teenagers are listening to some 50 year old skateboard guys. :lol That's the current state of rock n roll.

I'm team ajp4... you can't beat the 70's for overall quality cinema, regardless of genre.
The sheer amount of what are considered classics in any genre from that decade is mind-blowing.

Again, just look at this list:

- The Godfather I&II
- Jaws
- French Connection
- Dirty Harry
- Star Wars
- Alien
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Apocalypse Now
- MASH
- Young Frankenstein
- Taxi Driver
- Mad Max

The 80's were great in a different way, they gave us amazing popcorn flicks, it was the decade the really embraced pop culture at the movies. Interestingly, some of the strongest (if not the strongest) genre movies of that decade came out in the first couple of years: Blade Runner, Indiana Jones, The Thing, Conan, Road Warrior, American Werewolf in London...

Too bad Ducky is a fan of the PT, his atrocious taste in films will give all of us PT fans a bad rep (as if we needed it :lol)... I'm an unabashed fan of the PT, but to say that PT>OT :slap
And F&F>Mad Max? :cuckoo:
I'll agree on Batman Begins > Batman '89, but it's a tough comparison... it'd be easier to compare Batman '89 to the Adam West series, they're both campy in their own way.

Mickey Rourke hit his prime in the wrong decade. He was a real actor, but in the 80s, he was completely out place, probably why both Deniro and Pacino were mostly absent from the 80s. It was a decade of sci-fi, action, adventure, horror, and popcorn films, not memorable dramas and award films, like the 70s and 90s. The 00s and 2010s are a bit more like the 80s, but with more memorable dramas. Having said that, I can't tell the difference between the 00s and the 2010s. It's like they're both mixed together to me. I didn't even notice that the 2010s came to an end. Maybe it's because the MCU has dominated pop culture in the last 13 years and it just keeps going that it all feels the same. It's weird.

On the PT Vs. OT, I'll say this. The OT is much more competently made and is ultimately the better product. The PT had much grander ideas and could've been better, but ultimately falls flat. I do prefer the PT Era though. I agree with Oscar Wilde in that art's carried by its aesthetics, and the PT was much more vibrant, full and interesting than the OT in that regard. I'm too bored to comment on anything else. I'll just say that the 70s had absolutely a huge impact on cinema. We can discuss subgenres all day, but the 70s turned films and dramas into blockbusters of sorts. I still think great films are being made and they exist across all periods, it's just that now they're much more under the radar.

The 00s and 2010s are a bit more like the 80s, but with more memorable dramas. Having said that, I can't tell the difference between the 00s and the 2010s. It's like they're both mixed together to me. I didn't even notice that the 2010s came to an end. Maybe it's because the MCU has dominated pop culture in the last 13 years and it just keeps going that it all feels the same. It's weird.
The 00s were different to the 10s. The 00s had this version of the future that was mostly optimistic, riding that new millenium high. And it also had a lot of leftover 90s bits. So while you still had your black leather being cool and all over the place, you also had all of those Sci-Fi flicks with that 00s feel. Sleek tech, lots of lights, usually blue or white, a more uniformal society with lots of bells and whistles and focused on a sort of corpocracy. It could be argued we're heading there, just without the good stuff. Seriously, go look at Soderbergh's Solaris, the Minority Report, I Robot, even X-Men, and you'll notice that. The future was seen as something imminent, not far off. We thought we'd have flying cars and spaceships and whatever. For my money, Bay's The Island perfectly capture that 00s look:

217380328.jpg

i014194.jpg

It was futuristic, but not utterly alien. In a way, I'd describe it as the "updated" 00s version of the 50s. Look at the Sci-Fi of the time and you'll notice it had that Art Deco, "50s... but in SPACE" look to it all. Generally, the 00s still had a distinct look to them, I'd say. And that was a "realistic" view of the future. Fllowing the patterns and going "yeah, we're not going to have a Feudal Empire, but we'll get those sleek bodysuits and flying cars". At least in Sci-Fi. In the actual world you again had this obsession with getting more and more "sleek". The gloss that was everywhere. It's called the Y2K Aesthetic and I think it fits.

2b5658e67fd06c3e6df0c7fdca7c1db1.jpg

And you know what, I still like it. It does feel futuristic and it has its own flair. It's not generic, like pulp sci-fi or just "puts some guns and whatever in space and some power armours or something". You know that the leather's from the 90s, the clear plastic is from the early 00s, it does give you a resemblance of a specific point in time. I think the whole Blackberry Vs. Apple thing perfectly encapsulates that too. Blackberry was sleek, and had lots of buttons, giving the illusion that it was super-duper-hi-tech and sophisticated. Compare that to the old Nokia mobiles, the flip-phones and whatnot, the Blackberry was seen like a pocket-sized computer. Then the iPhone came about and it put a new meaning in "sleek". It was so advanced it didn't need buttons. It didn't need a design. It was a smooth surface; period. And people got hooked. Say what you will about Jobs, but the man was a marketing genius and I admire him for that. More than Gates, anyhow.

Beyond that, the 00s had the fallout of 9/11 and it was reflected in everything. You had both unironic pro-millitary propaganda and also lots of satire. You had Secularism Vs. Religion which really drove those early Atheist personalities all over the net. You had stuff like 24 that while dealing with deep state conspiracies, ultimately wanted to tell the audience that those Three-Letter-Agencies were there to protect the people. Halo was directly influenced by the wars of the time. You had Modern Warfare taking the world by storm. IMO, MGS is the most 00s franchise I can think of. MGS2 especially tapped into things that were just beginning then, but are extremely relevant today. Nolan's BatFilms deal with those themes as well. TDK is about an uber-billionaire becoming big brother. Batman being in an all-black power armoured version of the 90s/00s leather wasn' random. For me, the 00s ended in 2010.

Iron Man was the last franchise to be directly influenced by the events and look of the early 00s. And IM2 carried that over, by continuing the militaristic storyline with the Power Armour Wars. Back then we thought Power Armours would be the next big breakthrough, instead of drones. When IM3 rolled around all basis in reality was gone and we had magic serums regrowing lava arms. IM 1 & 2 were still products of their own time. The IM2 expo with American-Flag Bikini Girls dancing, the glorification of Stark's billionaire lifestyle, it all was the last stretch before Occupy. More than that, the armours felt real. They were big, they were somewhat "clunky", they had weight. It's no stretch to say that Stark influenced a lot of kids heading out of High School and going into Engineering. Hell, doesn't anyone remember the Engineering craze of the 10s? That was a direct result of things like Iron Man and the general secular culture developed in the 00s. IM was the last "true" product of the 00s.

iron_man_featured_image.jpg

Moving on, 09 Trek still had that lens flare, early 00s look. The "grittier" lighing but with the vibrant colours popping out. Avatar most certainly was the last 00s "epic blockbuster". The human tech looks straight out of Halo and Pandora is a SolarPunk painting come to life. It's a Sci-FI Dances With Wolves, with an added Post-9/11 look and environmentalist message. And finally, Tron Legacy took the Y2K Aesthetic, made it more futuristic, and closed the decade completely. Maybe that's why I have such a soft spot for Tron and love it so. I don't know. You could argue that it started with the X-Men. Directly influenced by the 90s, they begun the 00s.

x-men-4.jpg.08feffd1c71a699bc9ce9e19841544af.jpg

Now look at Tron Legacy.

tronlegacy-980x420.png

It's the last step of that aesthetic. Going from the "retro" and relatively realistic look of the era, and making it actually futuristic. You can see how it's similar to both the X-Men and the Matrix (late 90s/early 00s) and the Island (mid-00s) while also taking it a step further. It's the culmination of all the 00s looks. So, yeah, I'd say the 00s had their own "thing". It's something you can revisit. It's an actual aesthetic, at the end of the day.

In contrast, the 10s really had nothing. There was no massive event that really changed the landscape. There was the 2008 crash, and there were real ramifications, but there was no impact on pop culture. If anything, it all went straight to "party like there's no tomorrow". Occupy happened and then it all moved to idpol. What do I remember about the 10s? The 2012 hysteria that got some suckers scammed, hipsters, raves, things like YOLO and general memespeak becoming normie-friendly, but apart from that I can't tell you what the "feel" of the 10s was. There was no unifying theme across all media. No defining franchise or genre. In the 00s you had Sci-Fi going through a long stretch, you had historical epics trying to make a comeback like in the old Hollywood days, and you had the militaristic aesthetic due to 9/11. The 10s were empty, but the culture was kept ramping on, which is why we are where we are. One could argue the 10s went through more rapid, real world changes, but in terms of having a set "identity", I'd say there's nothing you can point at and go "yeah, that's so 10s". I can name movies that capure the 00s pefectly, in style or period. But with the 10s I have no clue.

It's honestly pretty funny how our likes and dislikes are so heavily attached to our times. I still have a nostalgia for the 90s/00s, and by extension have it for the products, events and "feel" of the times too. And the same goes for the 80s people and so on. Well, at least we can all agree the 10s were utterly creatively bankrupt.

On the PT Vs. OT, I'll say this. The OT is much more competently made and is ultimately the better product. The PT had much grander ideas and could've been better, but ultimately falls flat. I do prefer the PT Era though. I agree with Oscar Wilde in that art's carried by its aesthetics, and the PT was much more vibrant, full and interesting than the OT in that regard. I'm too bored to comment on anything else. I'll just say that the 70s had absolutely a huge impact on cinema. We can discuss subgenres all day, but the 70s turned films and dramas into blockbusters of sorts. I still think great films are being made and they exist across all periods, it's just that now they're much more under the radar.

The 00s were different to the 10s. The 00s had this version of the future that was mostly optimistic, riding that new millenium high. And it also had a lot of leftover 90s bits. So while you still had your black leather being cool and all over the place, you also had all of those Sci-Fi flicks with that 00s feel. Sleek tech, lots of lights, usually blue or white, a more uniformal society with lots of bells and whistles and focused on a sort of corpocracy. It could be argued we're heading there, just without the good stuff. Seriously, go look at Soderbergh's Solaris, the Minority Report, I Robot, even X-Men, and you'll notice that. The future was seen as something imminent, not far off. We thought we'd have flying cars and spaceships and whatever. For my money, Bay's The Island perfectly capture that 00s look:

217380328.jpg

i014194.jpg

It was futuristic, but not utterly alien. In a way, I'd describe it as the "updated" 00s version of the 50s. Look at the Sci-Fi of the time and you'll notice it had that Art Deco, "50s... but in SPACE" look to it all. Generally, the 00s still had a distinct look to them, I'd say. And that was a "realistic" view of the future. Fllowing the patterns and going "yeah, we're not going to have a Feudal Empire, but we'll get those sleek bodysuits and flying cars". At least in Sci-Fi. In the actual world you again had this obsession with getting more and more "sleek". The gloss that was everywhere. It's called the Y2K Aesthetic and I think it fits.

2b5658e67fd06c3e6df0c7fdca7c1db1.jpg

And you know what, I still like it. It does feel futuristic and it has its own flair. It's not generic, like pulp sci-fi or just "puts some guns and whatever in space and some power armours or something". You know that the leather's from the 90s, the clear plastic is from the early 00s, it does give you a resemblance of a specific point in time. I think the whole Blackberry Vs. Apple thing perfectly encapsulates that too. Blackberry was sleek, and had lots of buttons, giving the illusion that it was super-duper-hi-tech and sophisticated. Compare that to the old Nokia mobiles, the flip-phones and whatnot, the Blackberry was seen like a pocket-sized computer. Then the iPhone came about and it put a new meaning in "sleek". It was so advanced it didn't need buttons. It didn't need a design. It was a smooth surface; period. And people got hooked. Say what you will about Jobs, but the man was a marketing genius and I admire him for that. More than Gates, anyhow.

Beyond that, the 00s had the fallout of 9/11 and it was reflected in everything. You had both unironic pro-millitary propaganda and also lots of satire. You had Secularism Vs. Religion which really drove those early Atheist personalities all over the net. You had stuff like 24 that while dealing with deep state conspiracies, ultimately wanted to tell the audience that those Three-Letter-Agencies were there to protect the people. Halo was directly influenced by the wars of the time. You had Modern Warfare taking the world by storm. IMO, MGS is the most 00s franchise I can think of. MGS2 especially tapped into things that were just beginning then, but are extremely relevant today. Nolan's BatFilms deal with those themes as well. TDK is about an uber-billionaire becoming big brother. Batman being in an all-black power armoured version of the 90s/00s leather wasn' random. For me, the 00s ended in 2010.

Iron Man was the last franchise to be directly influenced by the events and look of the early 00s. And IM2 carried that over, by continuing the militaristic storyline with the Power Armour Wars. Back then we thought Power Armours would be the next big breakthrough, instead of drones. When IM3 rolled around all basis in reality was gone and we had magic serums regrowing lava arms. IM 1 & 2 were still products of their own time. The IM2 expo with American-Flag Bikini Girls dancing, the glorification of Stark's billionaire lifestyle, it all was the last stretch before Occupy. More than that, the armours felt real. They were big, they were somewhat "clunky", they had weight. It's no stretch to say that Stark influenced a lot of kids heading out of High School and going into Engineering. Hell, doesn't anyone remember the Engineering craze of the 10s? That was a direct result of things like Iron Man and the general secular culture developed in the 00s. IM was the last "true" product of the 00s.

iron_man_featured_image.jpg

Moving on, 09 Trek still had that lens flare, early 00s look. The "grittier" lighing but with the vibrant colours popping out. Avatar most certainly was the last 00s "epic blockbuster". The human tech looks straight out of Halo and Pandora is a SolarPunk painting come to life. It's a Sci-FI Dances With Wolves, with an added Post-9/11 look and environmentalist message. And finally, Tron Legacy took the Y2K Aesthetic, made it more futuristic, and closed the decade completely. Maybe that's why I have such a soft spot for Tron and love it so. I don't know. You could argue that it started with the X-Men. Directly influenced by the 90s, they begun the 00s.

x-men-4.jpg.08feffd1c71a699bc9ce9e19841544af.jpg

Now look at Tron Legacy.

tronlegacy-980x420.png

It's the last step of that aesthetic. Going from the "retro" and relatively realistic look of the era, and making it actually futuristic. You can see how it's similar to both the X-Men and the Matrix (late 90s/early 00s) and the Island (mid-00s) while also taking it a step further. It's the culmination of all the 00s looks. So, yeah, I'd say the 00s had their own "thing". It's something you can revisit. It's an actual aesthetic, at the end of the day.

In contrast, the 10s really had nothing. There was no massive event that really changed the landscape. There was the 2008 crash, and there were real ramifications, but there was no impact on pop culture. If anything, it all went straight to "party like there's no tomorrow". Occupy happened and then it all moved to idpol. What do I remember about the 10s? The 2012 hysteria that got some suckers scammed, hipsters, raves, things like YOLO and general memespeak becoming normie-friendly, but apart from that I can't tell you what the "feel" of the 10s was. There was no unifying theme across all media. No defining franchise or genre. In the 00s you had Sci-Fi going through a long stretch, you had historical epics trying to make a comeback like in the old Hollywood days, and you had the militaristic aesthetic due to 9/11. The 10s were empty, but the culture was kept ramping on, which is why we are where we are. One could argue the 10s went through more rapid, real world changes, but in terms of having a set "identity", I'd say there's nothing you can point at and go "yeah, that's so 10s". I can name movies that capure the 00s pefectly, in style or period. But with the 10s I have no clue.

It's honestly pretty funny how our likes and dislikes are so heavily attached to our times. I still have a nostalgia for the 90s/00s, and by extension have it for the products, events and "feel" of the times too. And the same goes for the 80s people and so on. Well, at least we can all agree the 10s were utterly creatively bankrupt.

Such a great post. :clap

You're right, I remember the 00's now!!! It's been so long I forgot. :lol

The 2020's are definitely going to be interesting. We started with a global pandemic that has killed the film industry, or at least set back the industry years. After a decade of huge box office numbers, records, and billion dollar films, it's like Covid crashed the party and burned the place down. Now, films aren't making that much money and streaming is becoming the future of films and content with all these streaming services fighting to get a piece of the pie. So, what do you think the 2020's will be like and how will the pandemic affect films and fiction in general?

The 2020's are definitely going to be interesting. We started with a global pandemic that has killed the film industry, or at least set back the industry years. After a decade of huge box office numbers, records, and billion dollar films, it's like Covid crashed the party and burned the place down. Now, films aren't making that much money and streaming is becoming the future of films and content with all these streaming services fighting to get a piece of the pie. So, what do you think the 2020's will be like and how will the pandemic affect films and fiction in general?
Yeah, lots of people talk **** about the 00s, but for all intents and purposes they did have their own thing. Y2K Aesthetic is a perfectly valid look that someone could have nostalgia for and revive in a decade. Regardless of whether you like it or not, Black Leather + White Lights + NuMetal is its own thing, and that's the point of something having its own look. It is memorable, good or bad. Personally I like it, it was my time. I like timeless aesthetics more, but whereas someone prefers the 80s contemporary look, I find the 90s/00s one more resonant with me. I can see it working in different genres and coming back over and over again. Leather, Lights & Transperacy with Smoothness is specfic enough to be memorable, yet flexible enough that you can really play with it and create lots of other new things that still remain Y2K-inspired.

I don't know if Covid per se will have an actual impact on film. I honestly think we exist in a sort of stagnated period and aesthetics are virtually gone. I can't think of anything upcoming that evokes some certain look or has a unique identity. However Covid does have real world ramifications and has absolutely impacted cinemas. So I do think that it will all work on Avatar's favour. It's now a beloved quasi-retro franchise with lots of people having nostalgia for it, while also being the only thing right at the moment that has a specific schedule. What I think is more interesting is see how the MCU will go. People have gone about 2 years now without a new film, while the shows received a resounding "meh". The upcoming movies are cheap looking and based on no important characters. Will the audience tire? Past Phase 4 which is more or less tying up the loose ends, we're heading to an even bigger slate full of X-Men. Will there be an audience for that? I want to see Doom so I'll check out the F4. If the casting isn't good, I'll skip the dollies. The X-Verse is utterly huge so there are things I'm interested in. But are people ready for at least another decade full of shows and movies based on cape****?

Yeah, lots of people talk **** about the 00s, but for all intents and purposes they did have their own thing. Y2K Aesthetic is a perfectly valid look that someone could have nostalgia for and revive in a decade. Regardless of whether you like it or not, Black Leather + White Lights + NuMetal is its own thing, and that's the point of something having its own look. It is memorable, good or bad. Personally I like it, it was my time. I like timeless aesthetics more, but whereas someone prefers the 80s contemporary look, I find the 90s/00s one more resonant with me. I can see it working in different genres and coming back over and over again. Leather, Lights & Transperacy with Smoothness is specfic enough to be memorable, yet flexible enough that you can really play with it and create lots of other new things that still remain Y2K-inspired.

Speaking of leather and 00's pop culture, Matrix 4 is coming. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't know if Covid per se will have an actual impact on film. I honestly think we exist in a sort of stagnated period and aesthetics are virtually gone. I can't think of anything upcoming that evokes some certain look or has a unique identity. However Covid does have real world ramifications and has absolutely impacted cinemas. So I do think that it will all work on Avatar's favour. It's now a beloved quasi-retro franchise with lots of people having nostalgia for it, while also being the only thing right at the moment that has a specific schedule. What I think is more interesting is see how the MCU will go. People have gone about 2 years now without a new film, while the shows received a resounding "meh". The upcoming movies are cheap looking and based on no important characters. Will the audience tire? Past Phase 4 which is more or less tying up the loose ends, we're heading to an even bigger slate full of X-Men. Will there be an audience for that? I want to see Doom so I'll check out the F4. If the casting isn't good, I'll skip the dollies. The X-Verse is utterly huge so there are things I'm interested in. But are people ready for at least another decade full of shows and movies based on cape****?

Something will define the 2020's. I don't expect the X Men to show up until the second half of the 2020's. Then again who knows, this pandemic slowing things down could be a blessing in that it gives the MCU a lot more time to plan things out, so that could end up being a good thing for the MCU.

Speaking of leather and 00's pop culture, Matrix 4 is coming. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm not expecting much, I'll be honest. But if it kickstarts a sort of Y2K Revival, I won't mind. I think it's a legitimately cool look. Is it a bit juvenile? Maybe. It fits the Sith/Comic Anti-Hero look to me, and I'm still into it. But it is a proper, well-defined look and that's what matters in nostalgia.

Something will define the 2020's. I don't expect the X Men to show up until the second half of the 2020's. Then again who knows, this pandemic slowing things down could be a blessing in that it gives the MCU a lot more time to plan things out, so that could end up being a good thing for the MCU.
I don't know if we'll get anything about the 20s that will make it its own thing. Like I said before, the 10s were devoid of an identity. The 20s could very well be the same. Things will surely happen and we'll have those specific points in time to point to, but I don't think there'll ever be a decade-wide, unified culture so to speak. Y2K was the last stretch. Now there's just too much out there. Deivative, banal, unimaginable, but in absurd quantities. People can't be obsessed with anything anymore. They can't consume the same things. There's no Twin Peaks, Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, LOST or GoT airing. It's all randomness. One on hand more variety is good, but that'd be so if they were all different enough to provide varied entertainment, and that's just not true. I don't know how things will turn out, really.

As for the X-Men, they will air after 2025 I think. The question is if they'll survive. It's a huge franchise with hundreds of characters and stories and concepts. The average moviegoer has been without their MCU fix for nearly two years now. And once they come back, they'll get hit with Sang-Chi of all things. Will this makes them excited for what's to come after a long break, or will they realize how samey all the MCU flicks are, and get bored of the entire thing? There's no Stark anymore or Rogers. You're basically going to put them through a 4 year period where no important MU characters show up, then hit them with the X-Men in a slow buildup. I don't know if they'll respond.

I've talked about it before, but having spent so much money and time on all those properties, I look back and see them as empty. Yet I see guys in their 40s still collecting Spider-Man in their 40s. The average moviegoer doesn't invest much time. They go with the flow and then give up. Will they keep supporting the same thing, or will something else come about? The average moviegoer, the ones who support the MCU, are regular people. But look at its rabdi fanbase, and it's a bunch of tumblr girls in their teens raised on Hunger Games that write slashfics. Same with comics. Those are the people who hog the internet spotlight. The thing is, they too have no actual investment in them. 90% of them haven't gone back to to a chronological read. They don't have 300$ dollies or 150$ Omnibuses. They just found a way to take out their fantasies on something "tangible". But tumblr is no more. So again, the question is, will there be an audience to fanatically follow the ever-growing MCU? What about Star Wars and its myriad of shows? DC's somewhere in there too. It's just too much.

Watch Shang Chi make 1 billion now lol

So far every big budget movie straight to streaming other than ZSJL has sucked.

[...]
The 00s were different to the 10s. The 00s had this version of the future that was mostly optimistic, riding that new millenium high. And it also had a lot of leftover 90s bits. So while you still had your black leather being cool and all over the place, you also had all of those Sci-Fi flicks with that 00s feel. Sleek tech, lots of lights, usually blue or white, a more uniformal society with lots of bells and whistles and focused on a sort of corpocracy. It could be argued we're heading there, just without the good stuff. Seriously, go look at Soderbergh's Solaris, the Minority Report, I Robot, even X-Men, and you'll notice that. The future was seen as something imminent, not far off. We thought we'd have flying cars and spaceships and whatever.

Spot on. I do think Apple's industrial design aesthetic had a truly massive influence on the look of the 2000s, which as you say are pretty distinct. The optimism often seen in the aesthetic is at odds with the Western world's slow collapse into paranoia, but there it is.

[...]It was futuristic, but not utterly alien. In a way, I'd describe it as the "updated" 00s version of the 50s. Look at the Sci-Fi of the time and you'll notice it had that Art Deco, "50s... but in SPACE" look to it all. Generally, the 00s still had a distinct look to them, I'd say. And that was a "realistic" view of the future. Fllowing the patterns and going "yeah, we're not going to have a Feudal Empire, but we'll get those sleek bodysuits and flying cars". At least in Sci-Fi. In the actual world you again had this obsession with getting more and more "sleek". The gloss that was everywhere. It's called the Y2K Aesthetic and I think it fits.

Yes, but the enigmatic, blank surfaces can only go so far before a lot of Masamune Shirow's design aesthetic finds its way to the West, but admittedly this is by the 2010s; the biological, arthropod-inspired industrial design and heavy hardware paired with ethereal UI. How much of a pioneer he was or was not I'm not sure, because I was only ever a casual, occasional consumer of manga and anime. You see it more and more now actually; companies like Boston Dynamics have brought that bio-mimic industrial design into the real world.

While simultaneously, I have to blink and look twice at SpaceX hardware like the Starship, which looks and moves like a '50s rocket ship. When they're landing that thing I look for the wires.

It'll be interesting to see which aesthetic -- or even if either of them -- dominate the look and feel of the '20s. Bio-mimicry which inevitably looks a bit sinister with its uncanny valley style, or these shiny 50's style rocket ships with fins. The latter is friendlier with obvious nostalgic charm.

The MCU's synthetic-basketball-athletic-superhero material already feels tired and ugly.

Back