Star Wars: Ahsoka

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to this guy you have to go into the show caring about these characters and you'll like it if you're a Rebels fan. It feels like Rebels season 5.
Lol, that's me out then.
Apparently the show assumes you know and care about these characters and havd watched the cartoon shows, though doesn't think anyone will be confused if they haven't.

Honestly even if you haven't watched Rebels, these are still some pretty fun and colorful characters that should be far more compelling than most of the other supporting characters we've gotten in the Disney+ shows.

And if you don't know their full history, it will be no different from watching the OT back when we hardly knew anybody's backstory.

Honestly even if you haven't watched Rebels, these are still some pretty fun and colorful characters that should be far more compelling than most of the other supporting characters we've gotten in the Disney+ shows.

And if you don't know their full history, it will be no different from watching the OT back when we hardly knew anybody's backstory.
As I've said, I'm just going off comments that I've heard about show, that it'll be confusing for those that haven't watched Rebels etc.
I'm not going to be watching the show so I have nothing personal in this, just find it curious how LF/Disney committed to a show that (allegedly) require you to watch 4 seasons of a cartoon show.

Luke, Han and Leia didn't personally know each other before ANH and we weren't expected to know who they were before going into the film.

As I've said, I'm just going off comments that I've heard about show, that it'll be confusing for those that haven't watched Rebels etc.
I'm not going to be watching the show so I have nothing personal in this, just find it curious how LF/Disney committed to a show that (allegedly) require you to watch 4 seasons of a cartoon show.
I've watched Rebels and one definitely wouldn't have to watch all 4 seasons. One could probably just google "essential Rebels episodes to watch before Ahsoka" to get a shortlist and/or just read a synopsis of the show along with bios on the key characters. And for all we know there may be some flashback scenes in Ahsoka that will help fill in the blanks for those unfamiliar with the events of Rebels.

Filoni:
"I don't think you would need to watch any [episodes of Rebels]," he said. "They're all available on Disney+, so you can check them out there and that would be great, but... for me, if you really were interested in [Rebels] and if it got people that maybe don't -- aren't as interested in animation into it, I would start [with], probably, like, maybe the episode, "Jedi Night," where the sad thing happens to Kanan. Even if you didn't understand what that was, it would propel you forward. If you just watch Season 4 [of Rebels], you'd be set [for Ahsoka]."

I know you're a massive advocate for animation but watching a kids cartoon like Rebels before watching a live action show like Ahsoka is hardly the same as watching 3 live action movies in a trilogy like ANH and TESB before ROTJ.
Not really though when it's a direct continuation of that story
2 live action movies vs 4 seasons of a cartoon.
Whether you agree with it or not, most people who haven't watched Rebels will write it off as a kids cartoon.
They won't want to watch a cartoon series to understand a live action show.
Their loss. You'd be surprised by how many people write off Star Wars as a whole yet still watch The Mandalorian.
Who knows maybe enough older fans have already left the fandom and enough younger people who grew up with Filoni's cartoons make up enough of the fandom that this stuff is the future of Star Wars.
You say the cartoon shows are very popular but will that be a big enough audience to satisfy Disney? With the amount they spend on these things, I suspect Disney will want a bigger audience than just the Filoni fans.
They greenlit it, so they must have been somewhat already satisfied by the performance of those shows. The Clone Wars was popular enough to bring it back after 6/7 year cancellation. Rebels ran for 4 seaons. The Mandalorian introduced a bunch of new people to the character of Ahsoka and a lot of those people then went and watched TCW and Rebels as a result. There's definitely a demand for these stories and characters. But we'll soon see the numbers.

If people want to skip part of the overall Star Wars story and have their potential enjoyment of the new show suffer as a result, then that's their choice. I guess it allows them to maintain and confirm their pre-ordered decision that they don't like this show.

Be like watching Star Trek: Generations, complaining that you don't know the characters or fully understand the plot, and then blaming the movie for it and not the fact that you chose to skip Star Trek: The Next Generation seasons 1-7.

If people want to skip part of the overall Star Wars story and have their potential enjoyment of the new show suffer as a result, then that's their choice. I guess it allows them to maintain and confirm their pre-ordered decision that they don't like this show.

Be like watching Star Trek: Generations, complaining that you don't know the characters or fully understand the plot, and then blaming the movie for it and not the fact that you chose to skip Star Trek: The Next Generation seasons 1-7.
But its a cartoon :( for babies :(

I watched Rebels for the first time a couple of months ago. There was some silliness here and there, but overall I liked it very much. More than I thought I would, actually.

Sometimes I read that people didn't like the first season, but I think it was good. I loved the snippets of ANH music here and there. It absolutely felt like Star Wars. The later seasons were very good as well, but missed that iconic Star Wars sound and leaned heavier on an original soundtrack.

So yeah, I'm definitely excited for Ahsoka!

But its a cartoon :( for babies :(
Oh don't be dramatic. I just pointed out that there are a lot of people who won't watch Rebels because they'll think its a cartoon show for kids, whether you agree with that or not. No sense getting upset about it, just watch what you want to watch and enjoy it, who cares if others don't?

I had a difficult time watching Rebels when it first aired. I may have attempted three or four times and failed. The adjustment of all new characters that had no attachment to the OT or PT, animation slightly different from Clone Wars. It may have been in their third season when I saw thumbnails of Leia, Lando, Vader, Ahsoka etc when my curiosity steered me to revisit the show. Once I started to understand the concept of these characters, who they were, what they were doing and how they existed behind the scenes in the ANH universe I was fully onboard. I do feel that Cartoon Network REBELS & CLONE WARS still remain better than anything that Disney+ has produced to this date. I think I would be more happier if streaming was used for Animation and Live action for the Big Screen.

I can tell people are gonna hate this maybe. Feels like we hit a wall where the pop culture stuff we all love has been devoid of all life

I can tell people are gonna hate this maybe. Feels like we hit a wall where the pop culture stuff we all love has been devoid of all life
I agree that Star Wars has been pretty soulless for the last few years. BoBF, Kenobi, Mando season 3. Dreadful stuff, but I reckon the Ahsoka series is where Filoni will pour his passion. It's a follow up to Rebels, it has his original characters (Thrawn obviously isn't his) and it's about Ahsoka, his beloved Ahsoka.
It's his first live action project that's all him (beyond his contributions to Mando), it's leading up to a movie. I think he'll be looking to prove himself with this show.
So I think it'll be maximum effort from him.
Whether fans like it will depend on them liking Filoni and his Filoniness.
I think Acolyte aka that show from Harvey Weinstens PA written by people who have never seen Star Wars before will be absolutely lifeless corporate drivel.

Last edited:
I remember listening to movie commentaries that pre-date Disney’s acquisition of Star Wars. When the commentator (director, FX coordinator, writer etc) mention Star Wars, they speak of it at the highest of caliber, the best of the best, the gold standard. Even the listener we hear this and agree, Star Wars is like no other.

Today Star Wars feels like another “run of the mill” project. In a nutshell I am happy that I lived within the 22 years where there was only three movies.

I agree that Star Wars has been pretty soulless for the last few years. BoBF, Kenobi, Mando season 3. Dreadful stuff, but I reckon the Ahsoka series is where Filoni will pour his passion. It's a follow up to Rebels, it has his original characters (Thrawn obviously isn't his) and it's about Ahsoka, his beloved Ahsoka.
It's his first live action project that's all him (beyond his contributions to Mando), it's leading up to a movie. I think he'll be looking to prove himself with this show.
So I think it'll be maximum effort from him.
Whether fans like it will depend on them liking Filoni and his Filoniness.
I think Acolyte aka that show from Harvey Weinstens PA written by people who have never seen Star Wars before will be absolutely lifeless corporate drivel.
I disagree.

For the most part , new Star Wars has been fun and entertaining.

Some large misses, but I have been rewatching quite a bit of it, and once you take away the crazy expectations fans put on these shows, and watch with a clearer mind, then I found alot of really good stuff.

To each there own,

Back