Somehow Rey Returned

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread is hilarious, heavily reminiscent back to the time (probably during 2017-2018) when I was extremely angry and toxic towards ST fanatics. Now, I just simply don't care...I live free and enjoy collecting plastic dollies.
My word count is *much* lower than back then. :LOL:

I dunno, Prime; do you really believe we had to see him grow up on screen in order for us to feel the weight of his tragedy? We didn't need to see a character like Michael Corleone as a kid squealing "Yippee!" - or as a teen courting Kay by letting her know about his displeasure with sand for getting in his butt crack - in order to believe that he was a good, decent, and normal man before selling his soul for revenge, greed, and power.

In two movies, Coppola accomplished with Michael what his buddy George had six movies to do with Anakin/Vader. Two movies (two of the greatest ever). One movie did all that was needed to portray Michael as an upstanding man who Kay had fallen in love with despite her disdain for the family business. The other movie gave us a profound view of that man transforming all the way to the point of having his own brother killed.

We had already seen Anakin die to save his son and prove that he was indeed the "good friend" and honorable man that Kenobi described him as in ANH. I don't agree with the argument that we wouldn't be able to feel the tragedy of his turn if we didn't see him grow up. And as for needing him to be whiny, I think that's nonsense, tbh.

It's fine for Luke to be a whiny 20-year-old because we don't need to believe that Luke ends up occupying a Vader suit and giving off a natural and effortless commanding/lordly persona. If you only showed me clips of OT Vader with no context and then showed me clips of OT Luke and told me he grows up to be that character, I'd laugh at that too. It just wouldn't work in terms of intuitive congruency. The man in the Vader suit is calculated, cerebral, and in total control. For me, PT Anakin just simply does not work as a believable candidate to transition into that OT Vader.

A good-guy Anakin should still be able to make you pee yourself a little when he gets angry. He needs to be someone we can take seriously. There are plenty of people in this world who give off that vibe and are still good, kind, and decent individuals who are easy to sympathize with. But turning evil doesn't magically imbue someone with those qualities; you either have it or you don't.

True, it's arguable whether Lucas had to go back to Ani's childhood. I always felt he did that to differentiate him from Luke in the OT.

As for the transition, there's 20 years of genocide between the PT and OT - I can see Ani becoming cold and calculating in that time (more machine than man), killing again and again to try to make the pain go away. But of course he remains conflicted till the end.

Maybe a Driver-like actor could have been more convincing (if there were any around at the time). Christensen was probably cast largely because of his resemblance to Lloyd.

Hearing about another trilogy featuring Rey makes me miss the old days when the only new Star Wars stuff we'd get annually would be a new novel.

Is it an actual Rey trilogy, or is it just one of the three new movies announced?

Last edited:
True, it's arguable whether Lucas had to go back to Ani's childhood. I always felt he did that to differentiate him from Luke in the OT.

As for the transition, there's 20 years of genocide between the PT and OT - I can see Ani becoming cold and calculating in that time (more machine than man), killing again and again to try to make the pain go away. But of course he remains conflicted till the end.

Maybe a Driver-like actor could have been more convincing (if there were any around at the time). Christensen was probably cast largely because of his resemblance to Lloyd.

Is it an actual Rey trilogy, or is it just one of the three new movies announced?
If you watch the Clone Wars series, you see Anakin make the transition from insecure Jedi to cold-calculating Jedi... and eventually Vader.

There was a time when "the movies" were the thing... everything else was EU (comics, novel, games, etc)

Now, it seems many younger fans grab onto the history from the cartoons more than anything else. Star Wars has become "a cartoon series" first and foremost. The TV shows have become a place for them to see their cartoon heroes realized in live action (and for original fans to see their heroes dashed into imbeciles). The movies have been inconsequential to the lore (with the notable exception of Rogue One) since 2005.

Thank god for Rogue One, or I really would have nothing left of Star Wars to appreciate (maybe Andor too but I admit it is a little boring on re-watch).

There was a time when "the movies" were the thing... everything else was EU (comics, novel, games, etc)

Now, it seems many younger fans grab onto the history from the cartoons more than anything else. Star Wars has become "a cartoon series" first and foremost. The TV shows have become a place for them to see their cartoon heroes realized in live action (and for original fans to see their heroes dashed into imbeciles). The movies have been inconsequential to the lore (with the notable exception of Rogue One) since 2005.

Thank god for Rogue One, or I really would have nothing left of Star Wars to appreciate.
Old men that love what they grew up with discover younger adults also love what they grew up with.

1681144741603.png

Regardless of how you feel about Disney SW I'm not sure I believe the Saga would have fared any better had it stayed with George. I mean just look at his track record post-ESB:

1983: ROTJ is a huge step down from ANH/ESB
1984: Ewok Movie 1 (lame)
1985: Ewok Movie 2, Droids cartoon, Ewoks cartoon (all lame)
1997: Star Wars SE Trilogy (hugely controversial "updates" that have tainted the OT to this day)
1999: TPM (lame)
2002: AOTC (lame)
2003: Tartofsky Clone Wars cartoon (cool)
2004: Star Wars SE Part II with TM Fett voice and Hayden Christensen and Naboo added to ROTJ (lame)
2005: ROTS (lame)
2008: TCW movie (lame)
2008: TCW Season 1 (lame)
2009-2012: TCW Seasons 2-6 (varying quality)
2011: Star Wars SE Part III with Vader "Noooo" added to ROTJ (super lame)

So 30+ years of SW post-ESB all just to get Tartofsky's brief CW series, lol. Rogue One and Mando 1 and 2 easily blow all of that away.

Old men that love what they grew up with discover younger adults also love what they grew up with.

Of course that's true... but that does not mean newer is better when speaking of the same thing over time, across generations.

The generational interest in Star Wars now is lower than it was two generations ago. Saturation will dilute interest. So it isn't always true that fandom remains consistent between generations. Of the interest in Star Wars today, my point was that the cartoons are driving much of the interest and understanding of the IP. Tomorrow's "collectors" will be much more interested in cartoon and video game nostalgia than anything from the movies or the TV shows.

The movies have been inconsequential to the lore (with the notable exception of Rogue One) since 2005.

Thank god for Rogue One, or I really would have nothing left of Star Wars to appreciate (maybe Andor too but I admit it is a little boring on re-watch).
Rogue One is actually completely inconsequential for viewing. It’s a great film, but it’s completely summed up in ANH with just a single line of dialogue and then they move on.
Didn't Boyega talk a bunch of crap after the last film came out? Wonder if he'll be back.
He was candid that his character wasn’t what was promised to him or what they said they’d build up. He also said he would never do a Disney+ show.

But roll a wheelbarrow of money his way for another movie, and I bet he’d change his tune.

Of course that's true... but that does not mean newer is better when speaking of the same thing over time, across generations.

The generational interest in Star Wars now is lower than it was two generations ago. Saturation will dilute interest. So it isn't always true that fandom remains consistent between generations. Of the interest in Star Wars today, my point was that the cartoons are driving much of the interest and understanding of the IP. Tomorrow's "collectors" will be much more interested in cartoon and video game nostalgia than anything from the movies or the TV shows.
Well not surprising when plenty of the cartoons, shows and video games have better writing and world building than the movies ever did :dunno.

Back