Somehow Rey Returned

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully I simply don't care who does or doesn't come back any more.

Star Wars has become another property like Terminator or ALIEN (and now Marvel as well) where I'm fully comfortable ignoring entries that I don't consider valid regardless of whether any of the main actors return or not.
T1 and T2

Alien, Aliens, Alien 3

Predator, Predator 2

Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, Gardians of the Galaxy

A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One.

The rest is optional IMHO

Fast forward to today and BR and TG are the ones with sequels that I love and totally accept as "canon," lol.

To be fair though those two didn't overdo it (...yet...)
The others just kept going until no one cared/cares anymore.
More isn't always better...
I'm all for quality before quantity.

Time for another of Rey's Apprentice Diaries, lol.

1705166996272.png

How crazy that as a teen my greatest dream was to see more ALIEN, Terminator and Star Wars and thought the idea of sequels to Blade Runner and Top Gun was stupid.

Fast forward to today and BR and TG are the ones with sequels that I love and totally accept as "canon," lol.
Well, your teen self couldn't have predicted the wave of nostalgia you'd feel 36 years later when TGM arrived (nor that Tom Cruise would still be doing action movies in his 60s lol). Plus TGM is kind of a SW sequel as well, what with the blatant "homage" to the Death Star run - not to mention the cocky pilot showing up to save the main hero at the end.

True. BR and TG are simply in their "ESB/ALIENS/T2" phase. Making a single great sequel is one thing. Make multiple great sequels is another. Which is why I don't ever want to see more BR or TG flicks.

But then, they are already planning TG3 (or Maverick 2) for 2025. Blade Runner can't be far behind.

I’m sure a lot of you guys would smack your younger selves if they asked for a sequel to the Star Wars original trilogy.

lol the dudes who witnessed Star Wars for the first time in the 70s need to pour out a drink before they explain the PT and Disney obtaining star wars .
lol it’s like obiwan explaining to Luke about the empire and Vader.

“Ah yes we were all filled with hope when star wars returned in 1999 but we were all fooled. It didn’t live up to our expectations. That’s when a young company named Disney who was an old friend of ours before they turned to evil helped stars wars sink further into obscurity. Disney was seduced by the dark side of the fandom”

I’m sure a lot of you guys would smack your younger selves if they asked for a sequel to the Star Wars original trilogy.

lol the dudes who witnessed Star Wars for the first time in the 70s need to pour out a drink before they explain the PT and Disney obtaining star wars .
lol it’s like obiwan explaining to Luke about the empire and Vader.

“Ah yes we were all filled with hope when star wars returned in 1999 but we were all fooled. It didn’t live up to our expectations. That’s when a young company named Disney who was an old friend of ours before they turned to evil helped stars wars sink further into obscurity. Disney was seduced by the dark side of the fandom”
It should not have happened. None of it.

But its Lucas's fault. All of it.

I was fine with the single trilogy; I never asked for more. I figured books and video games were the future for Star Wars. But I was dead wrong. There was going to be more Star Wars than anyone could possibly imagine. Star Wars as far as the eye could see. So much Star Wars, you'll be sick of getting Star Wars. And when everyone has Star Wars... then no one does.

Lucas got 4 billion. Disney has a franchise it can milk literally to death. After all, there's always a new generation that has learned nothing yet.

The ones who were made to suffer: the millions of fans.

With the ST, the PTers finally understood what the OTers were talking about. Yes, one day the STers will have their trilogy that insults them. Likely the next Rey trilogy.

Last edited:
With the ST, the PTers finally understood what the OTers were talking about.
They kinda don't though. They just think we were wrong about the PT while it is they who are keepers of the objective truth, that everything was great until the ST.

But yes they only got their first taste of what it's like to hate Star Wars with the ST.

True. BR and TG are simply in their "ESB/ALIENS/T2" phase. Making a single great sequel is one thing. Making multiple great sequels is another. Which is why I don't ever want to see more BR or TG flicks.
I certainly don't think another Maverick is necessary. What more is there to do with the character other than bring him down and/or kill him like they've done with everyone else? By now I know I don't want to see that.

With Blade Runner 2049 though there was story threads remaining that could have been interesting - what with the Replicant revolutionists, Deckard's daughter, Wallace's ambitions and so on. Dunno what they would have done with Deckard himself - probably kill him - but if there was at least a good story and world-depiction going on around it I might have tolerated it here.

Maverick 2 (TG3) will surely be a mission story. Like his MI films, Cruise will turn Maverick into that retired expert they bring out of hiding for one last mission only he can do. Or maybe his son has gone down behind enemy lines and Maverick has to go get him.

Whatever it is, the odds are against it being another TGM.

They kinda don't though. They just think we were wrong about the PT while it is they who are keepers of the objective truth, that everything was great until the ST.

But yes they only got their first taste of what it's like to hate Star Wars with the ST.
You guys are wrong about the pt! It’s amazing ! lol nah I get where you guys are coming from.

Spider-Man fans are getting this. A whole generation of kids grew up with crap like ultimate Spider-Man and spiderverse content. So they will gladly except stuff like Harry as venom or Spider-Man not being a unique character he’s just part of a million alternate realities and anyone and everyone can be Spider-Man . But when the comic started it clearly stated that anyone could have been bit by the spider. And there was always one Spider-Man .

Glad people hate Spider-Man 2 the game tho

Rant over

It should not have happened. None of it.

But its Lucas's fault. All of it.

I was fine with the single trilogy; I never asked for more. I figured books and video games were the future for Star Wars. But I was dead wrong. There was going to be more Star Wars than anyone could possibly imagine. Star Wars as far as the eye could see. So much Star Wars, you'll be sick of getting Star Wars. And when everyone has Star Wars... then no one does.

Lucas got 4 billion. Disney has a franchise it can milk literally to death. After all, there's always a new generation that has learned nothing yet.

The ones who were made to suffer: the millions of fans.

With the ST, the PTers finally understood what the OTers were talking about. Yes, one day the STers will have their trilogy that insults them. Likely the next Rey trilogy.
lol you say that now but back in like the 80s and 90s people were making sequel ideas and anticipating the origin of Vader. The Money was there. Now looking back yes it shouldn’t have happened.
Except for the pt. Revenge of the sith is of course the greatest Star Wars film of all time.

lol I do remember people bashing Lucas and saying how Disney would do a better job.
That first teaser for the force awakens was great tho.

I will always admit that the PT have more relevance and artistic merit than the sequels, as coming from George himself.
O yea they def do. The music and emotion alone stomps the st. There is a reason you see merch for the pt thst sells to this day while the st can’t sell at all. Rots over time is regarded as top 5 Star Wars films. Is it perfect? Nope but the music and emotion and look of the film is amazing

O yea they def do. The music and emotion alone stomps the st. There is a reason you see merch for the pt thst sells to this day while the st can’t sell at all. Rots over time is regarded as top 5 Star Wars films. Is it perfect? Nope but the music and emotion and look of the film is amazing
Hmm. If I had found the prequels emotional I probably would have liked them. For me it was the critical thing Lucas failed to achieve with those films. For me the strengths of the PT are

- they come from George himself, he had intended to tell these stories from at least as far back as when Star Wars was renamed Episode IV A New Hope. As such I don't see them as cash-ins. The ST are cash-ins. Lucas created something and wanted to delve more into his own backstory. Disney, despite what they would likely say to the contrary, saw his mythology as a product and wanted to profit off it.
- mostly great casting (even if they do probably give career-worst performances)
- music (yeah, Williams still had some great themes in him at this time)
- art department certainly delivered imaginative planets, costumes, vehicle designs, creatures and so on

Back