Somehow Rey Returned

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, they only need to do one thing to make a Rey movie watchable:

e07d0c1fc2630f211a6a174de4c6aa98.jpg

They don't talk about it, they just cast people and move on.
I mean you can't expect actors to not want to celebrate or acknowledge what their casting represents for their community. Especially when it's a rare event.

And I guarantee even if they hadn't said a word beforehand, a certain segment of the fandom still would have bitched and complained about Kelly Marie Tran "not looking like someone who belongs in SW".

I mean you can't expect actors to not want to celebrate or acknowledge what their casting represents for their community. Especially when it's a rare event.

And I guarantee even if they hadn't said a word beforehand, a certain segment of the fandom still would have bitched and complained about Kelly Marie Tran "not looking like someone who belongs in SW".
There's a difference between actors being excited to land the part and what it means for them vs Producers banging on in interviews about how morally superior they are because the first thing they decided on was how much melanin or oestrogen was going to be on screen.

"The Force is female"...well, make sure the Force is entertaining first, because if it's a pile of ****, you're only going to damage female representation and do more harm than good.

Last edited:
There's a difference between actors being excited to land the part and what it means for them vs Producers banging on in interviews about how morally superior they are because the first thing they decided on was how much melanin or oestrogen was going to be on screen.

"The Force is female"...well, make sure the Force is entertaining first, because if it's a pile of ****, you're only going to damage female representation and do more harm than good.
You are jumping to conclusion by saying - the first thing they decided on. In the business of writing, directing, and the arts there are many people at similar skill levels near the top. That’s where the misunderstanding is. People like you think it’s a matter of choosing the most talented person for the job- there are hundreds of people all tied at the top. The other side is saying since so many people are tied at the top it has been a systemic failing to always pick people who are white men and therefore a thing to celebrate when an equally talented person from the pile who isn’t that is subjectively chosen for the first time. It is a celebration that a system that was operating unfairly is now starting to move towards center. It’s not a matter of choosing who is the best, like you’re choosing the fastest runner and therefore unfair that they are choosing the slower black woman just because of her gender and skin color. That’s why this industry is so unique. All time great directors and writers can still release bad movies. There is no measurable science to it- there is only systematic unfair choosing of primarily white men. It’s wierd that it’s even looked at as a politcial issue as opposed to an obvious thing to fix. We won’t know if her movie is good or bad until it’s released and it should be gauged on its own merit: but it can simultaneously be a positive that a person from a different group is getting an opportunity for the first time

Last edited:

The mildest hint of being open to what the other side has been saying and already you're getting pushback for not 100% adhering to the prescribed progressive views, already someone is using ''people like you'' on you. Welcome to the ''far right'' Dave_W. :lol It's why I generally stopped talking about all this stuff.

You are jumping to conclusion by saying - the first thing they decided on.

We wrote these characters but when we went to cast it, one of the things I had felt, having been to the Emmys a couple times — you look around that room and you see the whitest ****ing room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably white. And I just thought, we’re casting this show and we have an opportunity to do anything we want, why not cast the show with actors of color?

- JJ Abrams in interview by Jeff Garlin on "By The Way podcast"

If "progressives" were genuinely progressive, they would be working on turning people more and more into machines. The cellphone is just the first step into the beautiful, cold world of The Machine. That's the future; that's progression. Colors and genders are so last millennium.

Last edited:
I will be willing to love the Rey movie if A: it undoes the sequel trilogy via whatever means so a new better one can replace it, B: the script is well written with good dialogue and doesn't further break the Star Wars universe, C: she gets her kit off and D: they make it an adventure movie free of rebels/resistance vs empire/first order.

You are jumping to conclusion by saying - the first thing they decided on. In the business of writing, directing, and the arts there are many people at similar skill levels near the top. That’s where the misunderstanding is. People like you think it’s a matter of choosing the most talented person for the job- there are hundreds of people all tied at the top. The other side is saying since so many people are tied at the top it has been a systemic failing to always pick people who are white men and therefore a thing to celebrate when an equally talented person from the pile who isn’t that is subjectively chosen for the first time. It is a celebration that a system that was operating unfairly is now starting to move towards center. It’s not a matter of choosing who is the best, like you’re choosing the fastest runner and therefore unfair that they are choosing the slower black woman just because of her gender and skin color. That’s why this industry is so unique. All time great directors and writers can still release bad movies. There is no measurable science to it- there is only systematic unfair choosing of primarily white men. It’s wierd that it’s even looked at as a politcial issue as opposed to an obvious thing to fix. We won’t know if her movie is good or bad until it’s released and it should be gauged on its own merit: but it can simultaneously be a positive that a person from a different group is getting an opportunity for the first time
Just to let you know I'm one of the more progressive ones on here. I don't mind diverse casts, I think representation is important and to some extent the 'message' is a good thing...but I draw the line at what I perceive to be BS.

I didn't feel the ST films themselves were constantly bashing me over the head with ideologies, but you watch the interviews and read articles with KK and it makes me realise, if they put as much effort into writing a good character as they did into feeling proud of themselves for pushing an ideology, then Rey might have been an interesting character. But they ended up empowering women so much that she was a dull, 2d, uninteresting character who had nowhere to go. The most interesting thing about her was who her parents were, everything else almost came pre-packaged.

Now if they kept their mouth shut about how great they all are and she was still dull, I'd give them less flak. Don't tell me about how great you are...show me! You're not empowering people by giving them a **** vehicle. Look at Boyega! "We cast black people" then they give him nothing to do and take him off the chinese posters.

Don't piss on my boots then tell me it's raining.

Last edited:
Back