Sideshow Video: G.I. JOE Inside Look

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insufferable cause I speak my mind on figures I'm dropping $$$ on now and ones to come in the future. Don't like it, ignore feature is your friend. The Josh could tell you how that works.

That's all well and good, I don't mind strong opinions. I am here to discuss figures too. But you called me out with that post count quip. I'm not a pushover, that's why I joined this forum. From what I have read of the past threads around here, I should fit right in.

Storm Shadow is a important figure/character. There is a reason his first figure goes for big bucks and the other "more interesting" figures don't.

So, the old figure goes for big bucks. Nostalgia factor in full effect. I think the more you hope for an exact copy of the first edition of Storm Shadow, the more you are going to be let down as the line progresses.

What did you guys think of the Cobra trooper preview they showed? I know it was a guy in a suit, but the elements were all there i.e. German style helmet, AK-47, waist packs. The helmet is a departure from the style of the Cobra helmets. What if they don't have a cobra symbol anywhere on those figures? Is that a deal killer?

The Star Wars argument doesn't prove anything. If SS announced tomorrow that they had purchased a license to do updated versions of the Star Wars characters, you guys would start a new thread complaining that if they put pockets on Luke, it would be a deal killer. :lol

Sideshow didn't announce classic versions of GI Joe characters. Modern military versions of GI Joe characters is what the license is about. I doubt we will see Destro any time soon. I don't envy the designers in figuring out how to update him. If they made him exactly like the Hasbro figure, do you think they would be allowed to release him? I would bet that Hasbro is making them stay a good deal away from the classic design of the figures.

I think that with this line come certain expectations... Certain character bits that cannot change or it IS a dealbreaker. Destro has to have a metal head and the red/black outfit, Baroness has to be in a black skinsuit with her glasses, The Cobra troops absolutely HAVE to have the Cobra symbol sported somewhere, Storm Shadown needs his white suit and bow, etc...

Just the same as any other license, small changes ok... big changes.. not so much.

Cobra troops without symbols would be like Aragorn without his sword. It wouldn't be right.

That's all well and good, I don't mind strong opinions. I am here to discuss figures too. But you called me out with that post count quip. I'm not a pushover, that's why I joined this forum. From what I have read of the past threads around here, I should fit right in.
Your first post was ripping the opinions of people that posted earlier in the thread, so in turn, your newb remarks were ripped. Hang around a bit and you will fit right in.

So, the old figure goes for big bucks. Nostalgia factor in full effect. I think the more you hope for an exact copy of the first edition of Storm Shadow, the more you are going to be let down as the line progresses.

What did you guys think of the Cobra trooper preview they showed? I know it was a guy in a suit, but the elements were all there i.e. German style helmet, AK-47, waist packs. The helmet is a departure from the style of the Cobra helmets. What if they don't have a cobra symbol anywhere on those figures? Is that a deal killer?

ssc_cobrasoldier.jpg

Cobra logo on the right arm. But SHOULD have it a big one on the chest instead, but rest of the figure works.

I think the more you hope for an exact copy of the first edition of Storm Shadow, the more you are going to be let down as the line progresses.

If you read through this thread you'll see that pretty much everyone here has stated that they like Snake Eyes and the CC design and are open to slight modifications to the classic designs as long as SS doesn't screw it up. There's no reason to update Storm Shadow's costume, it looks cool, has the nostalgia factor, and matches pretty close to real world ninja suits. I could see them putting more detail into his quiver setup to hold more weapons but that's pretty much it.

And welcome to the board!

Your first post was ripping the opinions of people that posted earlier in the thread, so in turn, your newb remarks were ripped. Hang around a bit and you will fit right in.

ssc_cobrasoldier.jpg

Cobra logo on the right arm. But SHOULD have it a big one on the chest instead, but rest of the figure works.

It looks like those two chest pockets would have to go to fit the Cobra symbol there. They seem to already have a mock shirt pictured in the bottom right. Hopefully that's the one they go with. Overall a pretty sweet approximation of a Cobra Trooper.

I thought Cobra Troopers had the small logo on the arm... the big one on the chest was for the Cobra Officer.

I, for one, would be totally cool with updated versions of the Star Wars characters representing them as they may look in the militaries of today's earth. In fact, I think that is a freakin awesome idea and would be all over it. I love the characters and the story, not the costumes.

This brings to mind a huge variation (they are customs) in those characters that has already been done and I drool over them. Has anybody seen the Steampunk customs? I'll try to find a link, but it has been a while since I have seen them.

Here it is...incredible work!

https://www.sillof.com/C-Steampunk-SW.htm

It looks like those two chest pockets would have to go to fit the Cobra symbol there. They seem to already have a mock shirt pictured in the bottom right. Hopefully that's the one they go with. Overall a pretty sweet approximation of a Cobra Trooper.

I hope they go with the mock shirt design too, just feels more Cobra to me to have that there. But I like where they are going with it so far.

This whole thing has reignited the G.I. Joe spirit within me... I just bought 5 of the 25th anniversary figs... The sickness has started. :lol

There's just so many possible ways you can update a Storm Shadow V1 without modifying the basic look. For instance, that knife he comes with, not only would it make sense to give it a scabbard but you could also make it a traditional Tonto blade instead of the spade bladed knife V1 came with. He could come with some throwing knives in addition to his throwing stars. And they could also give him additional weapons such as hands that have spiked Tekagi-shuko sculpted into the palms, a Kama, or maybe a modern police Tonfa.
Then there's the footwear, instead of the sandals the V1 figure is wearing, I'd really like for them to give him split toed Tabi boots.

Sideshow didn't announce classic versions of GI Joe characters. Modern military versions of GI Joe characters is what the license is about. I doubt we will see Destro any time soon. I don't envy the designers in figuring out how to update him. If they made him exactly like the Hasbro figure, do you think they would be allowed to release him? I would bet that Hasbro is making them stay a good deal away from the classic design of the figures.

What are you talking about? The license is specifically for G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO™, which is the characters from the 1982-1992 era.

This whole thing has reignited the G.I. Joe spirit within me... I just bought 5 of the 25th anniversary figs... The sickness has started. :lol

Which five? :D I think the best thing to get is one of the GI Joe 5-packs that come with the GI Joe nameplate that plays the theme song. The figures aren't bad but the nameplate can be displayed with SS figs later on. I'm kind of bummed that I passed on the Cobra set that played the opening song from the GI Joe movie.

One thing that's so great about GI Joe is that there are endless possibilities for displaying figures together without having to worry about screen/story accuracy like with SW, LOTR, and many other properties. Its just GI Joe and Cobra. Period. Destro, Dreadnoks, and other freelancers still can be lumped in with Cobra. So no waiting announcement after announcement hoping to complete a certain scene or diorama. Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander can be posed facing off against one another (talk about a bad day for CC :lol). Every other Joe/Cobra that gets announced can be integrated seamlessly into any display.

1982 figures facing 1987 figures, 1985 figures allied with 1984, any combination works. With SW you have to wait years for certain combinations. We *still* don't have anyone to pose with the ESB figures. Technically even Bespin Luke and Bespin Han don't actually "go" together! Not so with GI Joe! :flag

Last edited:
Well, I got Snake Eyes w/ Timber, Shipwreck, Storm Shadow (with the camo pattern clothing and hood), Classic Destro, Helmeted Cobra Commander. All classics, and my favorite figures from my youth. Just need a few more and I will be set. I didn't have a whole mess of them when I was a kid.... just a select few of my favorite characters.

My family was on food stamps. :lol

What are you talking about? The license is specifically for G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO™, which is the characters from the 1982-1992 era.

If you watch the video with the Cobra Commander preview, the designers say that they are taking the 82-92 era characters, and breaking them down into parts. They will be keeping "some" of the fantasy parts that make the character recognizable (Destro's silver head?). Parts that can be updated to a real, modern day item are being updated (Destro's Clothing/Wrist Rockets?). And some fantasy characteristics are being dropped (Destro's amulet?). These examples are my own thoughts, as I was just trying to imagine what might be changed on Destro.

The "classic" interpretation of Storm Shadow would look exactly like the card art with short sleeves and weapons in the belt. That is THE classic look for Storm Shadow. As the designers have already said, some fantasy characteristics are being changed to modern interpretations. What modern soldier is going to carry a loose knife tucked into his belt? None. So automatically, we are looking at a belt or leg strap with pouches/sheaths on Storm Shadow. It has already been said by one member in this thread that ANY deviation from the card art equals a failure. Several other members agreed. They might as well quit collecting the figures now.

I am not so dense as to think that they would drop Destro's silver head. But wrist rockets? Come on. They were cool when I was 8, but now, they are an obvious dropped item. Or include them, but make them removable, like Snake Eyes scimitar/katana.

I guess I am on the opposite side of the argument you guys are trying to make. I don't mind the idea of radical changes to the figures. Put Destro in black tactical gear for all I care. The silver head would be enough for recognition. No need for the costume jewelry amulet and a foo-foo collar on his shirt. Major Bludd's eye patch? Lose it in place of a scarred eye.

I guess I have really done it with that last comment. Let the ^^^^storm commence.

The "classic" interpretation of Storm Shadow would look exactly like the card art with short sleeves and weapons in the belt. That is THE classic look for Storm Shadow. As the designers have already said, some fantasy characteristics are being changed to modern interpretations. What modern soldier is going to carry a loose knife tucked into his belt? None. So automatically, we are looking at a belt or leg strap with pouches/sheaths on Storm Shadow.

Uh, unless they are going to do Vietnam-era characters and call him Thomas S. Arashikage your theory falls to pieces with one very small but important detail: Storm Shadow is not a soldier, he's a Ninja. Period. Like all of the main individual Cobra characters, he's a mercenary, not an enlisted grunt. A ninja with a military leg strap = :lol

It has already been said by one member in this thread that ANY deviation from the card art equals a failure. Several other members agreed. They might as well quit collecting the figures now.
Unless you're someone from Sideshow sent here in an attempt to soften the blow for shenanigans to come I think your last statement is extremely premature.

Despite some fears, most of us have faith that Sideshow will do right by these characters and the RAH license.

Uh, unless they are going to do Vietnam-era characters and call him Thomas S. Arashikage your theory falls to pieces with one very small but important detail: Storm Shadow is not a soldier, he's a Ninja. Period. Like all of the main individual Cobra characters, he's a mercenary, not an enlisted grunt. A ninja with a military leg strap = :lol

I can't even argue against this without laughing. You win, and I leave the Android's Dungeon in disgrace.

Unless you're someone from Sideshow sent here in an attempt to soften the blow for shenanigans to come I think your last statement is extremely premature.

Despite some fears, most of us have faith that Sideshow will do right by these characters and the RAH license.

I believe they will do right by the characters too, just in a better and more realistic way. I guess we just have to wait it out. Until then, you can all hold fast to the hope that your Storm Shadow turns out like this...

https://techrepublic.com.com/2347-22_11-193913-193923.html?seq=11

I don't ever remember Hasbro releasing the pudge version of Storm Shadow with realistic farmer's tan. If you notice, even this guy is smarter than to stick throwing stars in his belt. :lol

Back