Sideshow Video: G.I. JOE Inside Look

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...the first version of Storm Shadow, but I never liked that version. Storm Shadow 2 was a far better design.

:thwak :nono

Ninjas don't exist in any kind of modern military environment, so Storm Shadow's very concept is fantasy. Therefore *any* update whatsoever of his v1 costume would have no justification whatsoever other than to mess with perfection and longtime fan sentiment.

I can understand giving Ripcord modern HALO gear or Low-Light a modern Sniper rifle. Fantasy characters like Storm Shadow, Zartan, B.A.T.'s, etc., should be made *exactly* as they were originally designed. :lecture

That being said I'm not *too* concerned over how SS will handle Storm Shadow because of their comments about recognizing iconic silhouettes for the Joe and Cobra characters. A hood is far from SS's iconic v1 design and would detract from that classic "silhouette" they talked about. I'm more worried that it'll be his v1 costume but with camo or a giant symbol on his face.

[/B]
:thwak :nono

Ninjas don't exist in any kind of modern military environment, so Storm Shadow's very concept is fantasy. Therefore *any* update whatsoever of his v1 costume would have no justification whatsoever other than to mess with perfection and longtime fan sentiment.

I can understand giving Ripcord modern HALO gear or Low-Light a modern Sniper rifle. Fantasy characters like Storm Shadow, Zartan, B.A.T.'s, etc., should be made *exactly* as they were originally designed. :lecture

That being said I'm not *too* concerned over how SS will handle Storm Shadow because of their comments about recognizing iconic silhouettes for the Joe and Cobra characters. A hood is far from SS's iconic v1 design and would detract from that classic "silhouette" they talked about. I'm more worried that it'll be his v1 costume but with camo or a giant symbol on his face.

I never denied that Storm Shadow is complete fantasy, just that I personally prefer the V2 design over the V1.
It's pretty difficult to modernize Storm Shadow in any way. I think about the only thing SSC could do is give him a second more modern sword as the did with Snake Eyes, and possibly give him a holster and silenced handgun, which could be easily removed for the more traditional V1.

Last edited:
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

gijoe.jpg

hahahhaha the man him self !! thats awsome.

I never denied that Storm Shadow is complete fantasy, just that I personally prefer the V2 design over the V1.
It's pretty difficult to modernize Storm Shadow in any way. I think about the only thing SSC could do is give him a second more modern sword as the did with Snake Eyes, and possibly give him a holster and silenced handgun, which could be easily removed for the more traditional V1.

Oh I know, that part wasn't necessarily directed at you specifically. I definitely agree with the rest of your post.

Some people seem to believe that G.I. Joe started out in the late 70's early 80's with a bunch of 3 3/4" figures. G.I. Joe started out as a 1:6 scale figure in the 60's that was intended to have some elements of realism as a basis for them. The turn they took to the cartoon versions of the late 70's and on was actually a removal from the true concept. I think that Sideshow has just put the train back on the tracks, and just modernized the concept. My own opinion is that Sideshow's interpretation is a lot closer to the original than the RAH cartoonish version is. For me, and I know my opinion is in the extreme minority, Sideshow nailed the true essence of Snake Eyes with their version and I hope they do something very similar with the rest of the characters.

Some people seem to believe that G.I. Joe started out in the late 70's early 80's with a bunch of 3 3/4" figures. G.I. Joe started out as a 1:6 scale figure in the 60's that was intended to have some elements of realism as a basis for them. The turn they took to the cartoon versions of the late 70's and on was actually a removal from the true concept. I think that Sideshow has just put the train back on the tracks, and just modernized the concept. My own opinion is that Sideshow's interpretation is a lot closer to the original than the RAH cartoonish version is. For me, and I know my opinion is in the extreme minority, Sideshow nailed the true essence of Snake Eyes with their version and I hope they do something very similar with the rest of the characters.

Actually, it's much more simple than that... Some of us have taken note that Sideshow's license is to produce figures based on the G.I. JOE: REAL AMERICAN HERO era of characters, which is indeed 1982-1992, not the 1960's fuzzy-headed figures.

This line is G.I. JOE: RAH, not simply G.I. JOE. So naturally the further away they go from the classic, iconic RAH designs the more many of us will rightfully fret. If you're gonna do G.I. JOE RAH figures, then do G.I. JOE RAH figures dammit. No need to reivent the wheel.

Of course, this is all presumptuous. I liked how Snake Eyes turned out, and except for an apparent (and dubious) lack of 2nd metallic helmet I like how the Cobra Commander design is looking as well. But some of the comments in that video are giving some of us pause.

And screamingmetal, I'm sorry dude but that Storm Shadow design you like is just god awful. I used that as an example of what I hope they DON'T do. If Sideshow produced that instead of one based on the classic RAH design I'll tell you right now that not only would I pass on it, I would likely sell my Snake Eyes and dump the line outright on prinicple.

I'm in for both versiond of SS!! :rock Either one of those two and I'll be happy. IMO both design are great. Just like both Snake Eyes designs are great. But I forgot I'm guess some of us are not fans for having a love for ALL the designs of the 82-92 designs, or how we rank these characters. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about ALL of the 82-92 designs? I personally think a few could stand for a tad updating and realism.

Storm Shadow, however, is clearly NOT one of them. He went from looking like a cool white ninja with a Cobra logo to some lame Mortal Kombat reject.

Actually, it's much more simple than that... Some of us have taken note that Sideshow's license is to produce figures based on the G.I. JOE: REAL AMERICAN HERO era of characters, which is indeed 1982-1992, not the 1960's fuzzy-headed figures.

This line is G.I. JOE: RAH, not simply G.I. JOE. So naturally the further away they go from the classic, iconic RAH designs the more many of us will rightfully fret. If you're gonna do G.I. JOE RAH figures, then do G.I. JOE RAH figures dammit. No need to reivent the wheel.

Yup, this line should focus on the RAH elements and charactes. Realism is fine, but the fantasy elements is what keep the line rolling and made the characters interesting.

Yup, this line should focus on the RAH elements and charactes. Realism is fine, but the fantasy elements is what keep the line rolling and made the characters interesting.

Yes!!!

Irish if you are refering to the Logo on the face design... I agree.

But this version is still very cool!
stormshadow.jpg

The high-tech bow and a grappling hook and rope would have been cool added accessories for Snake Eyes.

Nope. Snake Eyes' weakness as a ninja was his bow-and-arrow skills. It's the one area where he couldn't touch Storm Shadow. :lecture

Even Zartan is better with the bow than Snake Eyes, who is more Special Forces commando than ninja anyway.

"And now you know..."

I imagine they will keep closer to the original design on Storm Shadow... if they don't I probably won't buy. Although I wonder how much control Hasbro has over what they can and can't make figures look like?

Back