RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Convenant - Amazon Prime

Guy Ritchie breaks out of his usual genre to do a Paul Greengrass-esque war thriller/drama. Haven't enjoyed a war movie this much since Zero Dark Thirty. 8/10

Bullet Train
- Amazon Prime

A second-rate Guy Ritchie-wannabe popcorn movie. Not as witty, not as slick, not as well constructed, not as well paced and not as good a soundtrack as a Guy Ritchie film but held together by a good cast. 5/10

Last edited:
The Convenant - Amazon Prime

Guy Ritchie breaks out of his usual genre to do a Paul Greengrass-esque war thriller/drama. Haven't enjoyed a war movie this much since Zero Dark Thirty. 8/10

Bullet Train
- Amazon Prime

A second-rate Guy Ritchie-wannabe popcorn movie. Not as witty, not as slick, not as well constructed, not as well paced and not as good a soundtrack as a Guy Ritchie film but held together by a good cast. 5/10
Agree the Covenant I'd put from a 8-10/10 - fine performances from the leads, good script and photography, would have seen this in theater and been happy. Kudos for this one.

65 - Save yourself and watch Jurassic Park instead. Adam Driver gives all but can't help the clunky editing, lack of logic, cheap looking sets, and general dreariness.
2-3/10, only saved by Driver working hard. No wonder it sank from theaters. Maybe some YTuber will replace the dinosaurs with Muppets and make something out of this turkey.

Asteroid City

Though I am no stranger to Wes Anderson films, I was surprised and delighted with how much I liked The French Dispatch. Letting the good time roll, I headed to the theater to see Asteroid City. At $20 for a standard showing, we could sure use a box office ticket sales crash.

Asteroid City (the locale) serves as a plain, but nostalgia-invoking magnet for the movie's cast of characters. The features may be intentionally sparse, but they come alive through the usual WA camera pans. As expected, simply everyone is in this film, playing either members of Asteroid City's in-film cast or production team (Jeffrey Wright providing yet another great scene that left me in stitches).

I'm not sure that Wes' familiar "play within a play" motif really helped subtext on this one though. While I enjoyed the feature, the troubles of Asteroid City's "true" cast didn't help stick the Epilogue's landing for me (unless I totally missed something).

Though it didn't check all my boxes, I enjoyed the film. We had two walkouts, so (as expected) it may take a certain viewer. Worth a rental from your local Hollywood Video :p

Asteroid City

Though I am no stranger to Wes Anderson films, I was surprised and delighted with how much I liked The French Dispatch. Letting the good time roll, I headed to the theater to see Asteroid City. At $20 for a standard showing, we could sure use a box office ticket sales crash.

Asteroid City (the locale) serves as a plain, but nostalgia-invoking magnet for the movie's cast of characters. The features may be intentionally sparse, but they come alive through the usual WA camera pans. As expected, simply everyone is in this film, playing either members of Asteroid City's in-film cast or production team (Jeffrey Wright providing yet another great scene that left me in stitches).

I'm not sure that Wes' familiar "play within a play" motif really helped subtext on this one though. While I enjoyed the feature, the troubles of Asteroid City's "true" cast didn't help stick the Epilogue's landing for me (unless I totally missed something).

Though it didn't check all my boxes, I enjoyed the film. We had two walkouts, so (as expected) it may take a certain viewer. Worth a rental from your local Hollywood Video :p
I work with a guy who is all about Wes Anderson films. I think they're visually great but everything else...

Mission: Impossible - 8/10
Hadn't seen it in years and it still holds up really well. A solid spy-thriller with a good story and some really cool action. Even though the tech like the discs and early day internet looks a bit dated, it doesn't distract at all. Definitely a classic.

Mission: Impossible II - 4/10
This one feels the most like a product of its time unfortunately. That specific late 90s early 00s vibe with the leather jackets, sunglasses, the limp bizkit theme, etc. Combined with a weak villain and supporting characters (besides Luther) this is the worst of the series in my opinion. I almost skipped it entirely. Next time I probably will. This movie would've been half an hour shorter if it wasn't for the unnecessary slowmotion all the time. That more than anything really took me out of the movie.

The Cannonball Run : 10/10

One of my favorite comedies. So that 10 is for the cmoedy class of films, which I rate more "softly".

It will forever bother me that all current prints of this film have overdubbed lines that were done for TV....they must have lost some of the original dialogue.

"This thing smokes through traffic like @!%# through a goose"

is for every

"shot through a gun"

And "Blow your brains out" is not "boul your brains"

Not sure what happened to those lines.

Sicario 9/10

Gets better with every viewing. Acting, writing, directing, cinematography, sound design, music, are all at the top of their game.

The only criticism I would have is the night/heat vision bits where they're going into the tunnel at the end drag on a bit too long.

Denis Villeneuve truly is a rare beast in this current climate; a master director with an incredible hit rate.

Extraction was quite a bit of fun.

Extraction 2 is a fkn steaming pile of doo doo and I've still got 29 minutes more of it to wade through.

Mission Impossible III - 6.5/10
It's funny, I hadn't seen this in quite a long time and I remember I always liked it, so I was looking forward to seeing it again. But for some reason I didn't like it as much as I thought I did. I think it's because we've had some excellent entries later in the series, that are better than this. Still, definitely not a bad movie and Philip Seymour Hoffman makes for a great villain. It's a huge step up from part 2, this feels more serious again, where 2 is a bit silly and doesn't really fit the tone of the series.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - 7.5/10
Another jump in quality here. Not just storywise, but also in the way it looks, the team-interactions, everything. Making Benji a field agent was a good move. He's a comedic relief character, but it fits the character and the humor (mostly remarks) are never over the top or feel out of place. He and Cruise have great chemistry together. Brandt is good to, but I find his role to be a bit ambigious. It almost feels like he's being shoehorned in to be the next big star of the franchise, but nothing really seems to come of it. Being more of an advisor/secondary character role fits him better. Love the scenes in the Burj Kalifa. The scene where Hunt steps out of the window and the camera follows him from above is breathtaking. The villain is a bit weak IMO.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 8/10
The opening with the aircraft is just as breathtaking as the Burj scene from GP as far as I'm concerned. Seeing the ground rapidly become smaller while Hunt is hanging on for dear life is excellent. These real stunts 100% beat the crappy CGI we have in like 99% of today's action movies. Again a great new addition to the team, this time with Ilsa who is a good, badass and fun character. Brandt is back in a more of supporting role and Benji and Cruise teaming up again makes for a great watch. Solomon Lane is an excellent villain and feels like a real threat, a good job by Sean Harris.

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 8.5/10
Again a funny thing; Where I expected to like part 3 more than I did this time, I expected to like this one less than I did this time. It was the second time I saw this. I liked it the first time, but didn't love it. I guess it was because I just watched the movie back then, without having seen the other ones fairly recently. But now, after seeing everything that came before during the last week... Wow! This movie rocks and is the best of them all so far! First of all Henry Cavill. Angela Bassett's character said it right when she said she brought a hammer. This man is a beast and absolutely believable as this raw force that doesn't stop before the other guy is completely broken. I love how this movie continues the story of Lane, because he was a great villain in RN, although he does feel a little less evil mastermind here and more on a revenge path.
Also (and I haven't mentioned him in all the other reviews) Ving Rhames needs a shoutout. He's been in these from the beginning and always does a good job, but the scenes in the end with Julia are excellent. This whole movie was edge of your seat entertainment and a thrill to watch.

I'm ready now to see Dead Reckoning, which I'm doing this afternoon. I'll let you know what I think about it!

I'm sure this will be unpopular...

Guardians of the Galaxy 3. 2/10

I pretty much couldn't stand the whole thing, save a couple of moments, here and there.

Loved number 1.
Number 2 was average.
But this was a 5 minute idea dragged out over 2 1/2 looooong hours.

The characters didn't feel like the characters we've come to know - except for Mantis. The main antagonist was a painful, always yelling, one-dimensional ******. The fleshy orifice world(s), costumes, weirdness, is just ugly. The humor is so cookie-cutter it's become mundane. It was like Gunn purposefully made it not fun to piss off Disney for firing him? That's stupid to say, I know, but I just have no idea why he would make such a lame film.

Although, it made me realize James Gunn is a one-trick-pony; I'm sick of is over-use of music, slow-mo, and tiresome style.

Got zero hope for the "DC" universe. Maybe DC will now stand for Dumb ****?

Freakmaker: 5/10

Not a very good movie, but there were some very talented people involved, including Tom Baker from Dr. Who in a major role, and it has its moments. Some genuinely freaky and disturbing scenes despite the primitive special effects.

Bride of the reanimator: 7/10

Can't touch the quality and originality of the original, but still very good. A respectable followup with top notch acting from Jeffrey Combs, amazing effects, and some great ideas that were well executed. Flying severed human bat head and zombie dog with human zombie arm attachment are highlights for me.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part one - 7.5/10
It was a good watch, but it felt different. Darker and grittier. The rogue AI made it really hard for the good guys, being able to infiltrate in almost anything. More than in any other of the films it feels like they are really alone, sometimes not even being able to be together as team. It feels like the stakes are higher and at the same time I found the villains hard to grasp. I fully believe something like a rogue AI could happen, especially now that AI is making huge steps and people don't seem to fully understand how dangerous it could be, but it is and feels intangible. Gabriel on the other hand was just someone who shows up all the time. I'm sure we'll see more of his backstory in part 2, making him a stronger character. I did like that they made him feel like a zealot who almost seems to see The Entity as some godlike thing that can't be wrong.
Because of the darker and grittier tone, I think some of the humor felt a bit out of place and was dragged on too long. (The Fiat 500 stuff), but that just a minor gripe and I know this won't really bother me again in a future watch.
All in all a good movie and I expect this one to be one that gets better with another viewing and certainly next year when we'll have the full story.

Oh and I'm flattered that they decided to name the rogue AI after me. :lol

Star Trek Generations 8.5/10

Thought it was okay back in the day (even though I loved TNG), mainly because Data getting the emotion chip became really annoying.

Hadn't watched it for 10-15 years, and wow is it a masterpiece by today's standards. I'd forgot how many great "build-up" moments there were; something happens, they create the tension and pacing, then pay it off is a hugely satisfying way (and not by subverting your expectations).

"How long until the star collapses? Number 1."

"We are cloaking!" "Fire."

The directing, editing, music, sound effects, all culminate in giving you chills.

There were a couple of convenient and goofy things that I never noticed back in the day, but overall, it was an extremely satisfying watch.

Now for First Contact.

Oppenheimer: 9/10​

A solid biopic pic , in Nolan style of a complex man.

The film is engaging and well written. Murphy is captivating as RJO, but Robert Downey really steals the film for the scenes he is in. Emily Blunts complex portrayal rounds out what is bound to be Oscar trio.

Nolan treats RJO as he was. A man who was desperately trying to separate the science from the morality of his work....and life.

In the end we get a man who life is fraught with genius and tragedy. An idealistic man, who follows a path well knowing what the outcome will be, as he feels it's inevitable.

My only complaints, is I thought the story would focus more on the creation of the bomb (which is rife with drama, (see "Fat man and Little Boy" for a better film about that).

Also, again, the Nolan curse of drowned ut dialogue is ever present, and annoying as hell.

Lastly the "spectacular" bomb explosion scene is a DUD. I mean, the clips show footage or slow fireball expansion , which is captured in many amazing photographs, but the scene show nothing of that, and looks like a regular explosion, minimizing the actual scale of the bomb. Total let down to me.

That last point doesn't surprise me. Nolan seems to be a master of underwhelming explosions, like he's deliberately trying to be the anti-Michael Bay. I'm thinking of TDKR mainly where cannons and missiles would be fired and all you'd see on screen would be this little tiny impact. Where's the damn fireball, where's the shot of men and debris being sent flying.

I agree with that point and found it to be the only disappointing part of the movie. Other than that, the acting and everything else just blew me away. I really enjoyed this.

The Bourne Legacy 8/10
Only ever watched this once before and liked it but was unimpressed that Matt Damon had not come back and there was some interloper actor haha.

But looking at it now, wow, this is an impressive film and I’m an idiot for ever thinking this was a lesser film. I’m sad now that Renner never got a chance to do another. The cast is amazing and they do a better than just ok job of continuing the story from Ultimatum and working around the fact they don’t have Damon.

The real star is Tony Gilroy. After writing the first three then making his masterpiece Michael Clayton he does an excellent job of directing his first Bourne film and it is clear that he is the glue that made the first four such an indelible, impressive coherent set of films.

Rise Of the Evil Dead : 6/10.

Honestly just another retread on similar movies, Nothing really separates this from any other zombie/demon type film these days.

Decent special effects are about all I can say makes this watchable....

Lazy writing that relies on the same schtick from the previous film, pretty much quoting it verbatim.

Boring throw away characters, without any real desire to root for them over the ED.

This lore has so much potential to be more than just another monster movie....waste of time.

Sisu - 7/10
Not a deep film and you gotta really suspend disbelief, but what a lean, nasty, simple film with some great splatter and gorgeous cinematography. Nice to watch something completely free from Hollywood bloat.

Back