Count Down to Avengers Endgame: Watching and rating all the Marvel movies (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in shock pretty much. I’m thinking 8/10. It’s probably in my top few. The whole thing really grabbed me. Kind of horrible he has been relegated to a side character. Remember HULK being an event movie ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I revisited TIH again in the past year and was also pleasantly surprised at how well it held up. One thing that really stuck out was how much better the 35mm cinematography was compared to all the digitally shot MCU films from 2012 and later.

I've seen TIH twice and as much as I like the university battle scene, for me it all goes downhill when we get to the third act which was just horribly rushed and did not flow with the rest of the movie IMO. It pretty much destroyed the entire movie for me. :(

However I did warm to the first Ant-Man a lot with repeat viewings and remember really enjoying it the last time I watched it.

I’m in shock pretty much. I’m thinking 8/10. It’s probably in my top few. The whole thing really grabbed me. Kind of horrible he has been relegated to a side character. Remember HULK being an event movie ?

It’s one of the better but not great MCU movies imo... nice to know I am not alone

I revisited TIH again in the past year and was also pleasantly surprised at how well it held up. One thing that really stuck out was how much better the 35mm cinematography was compared to all the digitally shot MCU films from 2012 and later.

Does my heart good to read this :)

I've seen TIH twice and as much as I like the university battle scene, for me it all goes downhill when we get to the third act which was just horribly rushed and did not flow with the rest of the movie IMO. It pretty much destroyed the entire movie for me. :(

However I did warm to the first Ant-Man a lot with repeat viewings and remember really enjoying it the last time I watched it.

What the hell Chakor? Why you gotta bring me down? :lol

I agree that the end is rushed but it has some great moments so for me it’s easy to forgive.. We get a legit Hulk Smash moment and the Hulk thunder clap is a huge highlight for me and one of my fav. Moments in the entire MCU. The fight with abomination is solid overall also imo and one of the more interesting one one one battles in the MCU

The fight with abomination is solid overall also imo and one of the more interesting one one one battles in the MCU

Plus it was cool to see the street level mayhem with the military freaking out against the Abomination. We don't get to see a lot of moments like that in the MCU.

I love the incredible hulk movie. Was really cool to see the gray hulk in the cave during the lightning storm. Plus to me that Hulk looked the meanest and the thunderclap is a signature move.

What the hell Chakor? Why you gotta bring me down? :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. TIH is a movie that I wanted to like given how much I love the rest of MCU Phase One (minus IM2 which I enjoy even though it doesn't even deserve to be compared to IM1, Thor 1, Cap 1, or A1), but the third act is just something I was never able to get past. Maybe a third time viewing will be the charm.

Captain America: Civil War

Hero:
10 out of 10
- Whoever you consider the hero in this film... They are played perfectly.

Villain:
10 out of 10
- This was a tuff one. I almost feel its a cheat to give it this score but decided it wasn't. Not because Zemo was some great Marvel villain. He wasn't. This film was not about a "Main" villain.. It was about the Civil War. Cap vs Iron Man. Bucky vs Black Panther. Pick a Side. I did (Team Cap) thus making the side against him easy to root against. Zemo was fine as the plot devise to get them to help raise the stakes beyond a simple disagreement. Ross is always great as the heal also :)

Side characters:
8 our of 10
- No complaints. Not much room for side characters but we meet Aunt May and she is a 10 in my book ;) Agent Sharon Carter is OK. IMO its the only time the story slows down is when she is on screen.

Story:
8 out of 10
- I enjoy this story.. I like the tension created between Cap and Stark. This story is nothing amazing but did a great job of making friends enemies believable. Good stuff here.

Action:
10 out of 10
- All the action in this film is top notch. The opening, Bucky's escape, the Winter Soldier's escape, the Civil War and the final Battle... All very different in style and all done just about perfectly.

Musical Score:
8 out of 1
0 - One of the Better scores in the MCU. I thought Henry Jackman did a better job in this one then he did in TWS

Overall enjoyment:
10 out of 10 -
Still one of the best of the MCU IMO.. I know this film has its detractors (Wor-Gar and others) bit frankly I don't get it. This film has it all IMO.. One may say that the suspense may be lacking in the big battle with all the hero's and they may be right.. But the scene is a BLAST and the final smaller battle at the end of the film is suspenseful IMO and a perfect fight to end the film.. The complaint there are no real consequences... To that I say.. Infinity War.. Would Thanos been able to win if the team was together? Hell Dr. Strange, Spidey, IM, and Mantis almost beat him without Cap, Widow, Clint, SW, and Vision.

Final Score - 64 out of 70

I was not really looking forward to watching this tonight as I just watched it about six months ago..
But I tell you what, I think this is an almost perfect MCU film.. I enjoy it every time I watch it and I never have any issues. Some films that are just cookie cutter fall apart with repeat viewings but this was my sixth time and I still have a great time with it. I love the friendship of Cap and Bucky and the sadness of Stark.

I use to think TWS was the Best CA film and perhaps story wise and suspense wise it is. But the ending battle of TWS always overstays its welcome for me and drags the film down just a tad. I always enjoy this film fully from frame one.. For now this is probably my second fav Marvel film behind The Avengers. We will see how I feel after IW.

What a review! :clap:

You know I like all three Cap films for different reasons and tend to just say that my favorite is whichever one I'm watching at the moment (yes including TFA.) I just love that all three are so solid. And I know you don't consider TFA/TWS/CW to be a true "trilogy" since they are intertwined with the other MCU films but after CW hit blu-ray I did binge them all back to back over the course of a week and found that to me they did have a very satisfying self-contained narrative.

"I can do this all day" spoken as both skinny Steve in the alley and then finally against the great Iron Man himself. Dr. Erskine pointing to Steve's chest as he died as if to say "the hero is in here, nowhere else" before Cap gets his indestructible shield and then at the beginning of TWS questioning with Batroc whether he really needs it. Finally CW has him reach a point where he discards it, the last symbolic "crutch" from his garbage lid alley days, and sets off for once without it.

Really cool stuff.

And the opening of CW against Crossbones and his gang might be my favorite action in the entire MCU.

Plus it was cool to see the street level mayhem with the military freaking out against the Abomination. We don't get to see a lot of moments like that in the MCU.

Agreed.

I love the incredible hulk movie. Was really cool to see the gray hulk in the cave during the lightning storm. Plus to me that Hulk looked the meanest and the thunderclap is a signature move.

Not sure he was grey then. That was just the lighting... But they did take that scene from the "Grey Hulk" story.. He was grey the opening credits when you can only see through his eyes.

:lol :lol :lol

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. TIH is a movie that I wanted to like given how much I love the rest of MCU Phase One (minus IM2 which I enjoy even though it doesn't even deserve to be compared to IM1, Thor 1, Cap 1, or A1), but the third act is just something I was never able to get past. Maybe a third time viewing will be the charm.

That's cool... I don't think its as good as the original Avengers either but I find it to be right up there with IM and Cap 1. I like it far better then Thor 1.

But I am also a huge Hulk fan. He's my fav hero in the comics and they did so much right when it came to the character of the Hulk himself that I can ignore the issues.

What a review! :clap:

You know I like all three Cap films for different reasons and tend to just say that my favorite is whichever one I'm watching at the moment (yes including TFA.) I just love that all three are so solid. And I know you don't consider TFA/TWS/CW to be a true "trilogy" since they are intertwined with the other MCU films but after CW hit blu-ray I did binge them all back to back over the course of a week and found that to me they did have a very satisfying self-contained narrative.

"I can do this all day" spoken as both skinny Steve in the alley and then finally against the great Iron Man himself. Dr. Erskine pointing to Steve's chest as he died as if to say "the hero is in here, nowhere else" before Cap gets his indestructible shield and then at the beginning of TWS questioning with Batroc whether he really needs it. Finally CW has him reach a point where he discards it, the last symbolic "crutch" from his garbage lid alley days, and sets off for once without it.

Really cool stuff.

And the opening of CW against Crossbones and his gang might be my favorite action in the entire MCU.

Its the Marvel intertwine and the lack of a true conclusion that keeps it from true trilogy status. But its a great three part character series for sure. So Happy I found love for TFA with this marathon.

Everything you mention I love also. If I look at these films as a three part character series and not so much a trilogy in the truest sense then.. yeah.. It's probably the best ever.. Plus I cant think of any other series that gets better with each film.

I really hope they just send Cap back to the 40's at the end of Endgame and don't kill him off. He deserves better. :)

Last edited:
Captain America First avenger

6/10 , not as bad as I remember. Cool style and ww2 vibe. Unfortunately the action is boring and the overall movie has no suspense or any depth.

Captain America First avenger

6/10 , not as bad as I remember. Cool style and ww2 vibe. Unfortunately the action is boring and the overall movie has no suspense or any depth.

Man I enjoyed this so much more on my 3rd viewing... IMO if this film had replaced the Montage action scene with a true action scene it would received a lot better. I felt the film had plenty of heart... As for suspense... Not too many Marvel movies have that..

I felt like you did for a long time... But 3rd time was the charm for me for sure.

Dr. Strange

Hero:
7 out of 10
- I am not a Dr. Strange fan. I don't dislike him but never cared about him in the comics. I also know this is an origin story.. Problem is I like Strange as the Pre Accident Dr. and as the Sorcerer Supreme we see in the last 5 min and in Infinity War.. All the other stuff is ok but never fully grabs me.

Villain:
1.5 out of 10
- This could be part of my problem with Dr. Strange in this film.. A hero is only as good as his Villain... Well I find the Villain in this one to be one of the worst.. Like Dark Elves bad. Mads Mikkelsen spends so much time running around in this film that I am pretty sure its his super power. I give an extra 1/2 point cause I at least like Mads as an actor.

Side characters:
6 our of 10
- Decent enough I guess.

Story:
6.5 out of 10
- Its ok.. Not awful but not great. Keeps my interest.

Action:
3 out of 10
- Yuck.. I really don't care for the action in this film.. How many chase scenes do we get Mads Mikkelsen running.. I know this is the 2nd time I mentioned it but he looks so goofy.. Then we even get him running backwards at the end of the film :lol Action in this one is my least fav of the MCU I believe. I am ready for this film to end once they hit Hong Kong.

Musical Score:
6 out of 1
0 - I actually enjoyed this while watching it. Its a score I would never add to my collection but I found it had some interesting parts that added to the feel of the film.

Overall enjoyment:
6.5 out of 10 -
I actually enjoy this film more then it deserves.. With the bad villain and uninteresting action (to me) I would think I would really dislike the film. But like all MCU films I get transported into the Universe and enjoy it well enough.. Its lower tier Marvel for me for sure.. But its better then AOU :lol

Final Score - 36.5 out of 70

Dr. Strange is one of only two MCU films I didn't bother to watch in the theater (the other being IM2.) I don't regret it. But yeah he was great in IW.

Iron Man 7/10

This ones got a great lead actor, stylish suit and special effects. Love the tone it goes for with the rock music , and the fresh snarky comedy. A couple of good action scenes but thats about it. Lacks in action an a good villain. The climax is a mess of robot rockem sockem. But I’d say the basic plot has some heart and endearing characters which make up for it.

Guardians of The Galaxy 8/10

Gun kills it with a great cast , killer soundtrack , and an interesting world. Pretty colors and creature design is endlessly entertaining. Filled with some fun action and space chases , this one never gets boring. The ensemble is great and keeps the humor coming while never turning into a straight up comedy . My biggest problem is that it seems to stumble towards the end. The nova core esembling to create that “shield thing” towards the end is just dull. The villain is another week spot (although he looks cool) and is defeated in a slightly disappointing way. Although I do love the call back to starlord reaching for his moms hand, I find it to be one of the few genuinely emotional moments in these films. After repeated viewings some of the arguing between the team is more annoying and cringe then it is charming.

Back