RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like gore or body horror or any of that and I found it to be pretty repulsive. Starro "giving birth" to his little Starro babies made me wanna gag.

And I agree with Bloodsport....I hate rats, too.

I thought it was great. Seeing it in a cinema crowd definitely added to the experience.

Ratcatcher was the standout for me - but I'm a sucker for an animal sidekick. :lol

6ltT.gif
Well, there were only seven other people in the cinema apart from my girlfriend and me, so not really a crowd . Granted, we did go and see the movie around dinnertime. I don't like crowds, especially not in the cinema. :lol

Sebastian was pretty cool though.

Well, there were only seven other people in the cinema apart from my girlfriend and me, so not really a crowd . Granted, we did go and see the movie around dinnertime. I don't like crowds, especially not in the cinema. :lol

Sebastian was pretty cool though.
I experienced the good and bad of the cinema last night.

Good - great film, good seats, good crowd.

Bad - people making lots of noise opening food and people arriving late (10 minutes into the film!!!).

:lol

Sunset Boulevard: 9/10

For most filmmakers this would be a masterpiece, but Billy Wilder also made Double Indemnity and the Apartment. Also great performances across the board. Interesting to juxtapose William Holden's young, ambitious character here with his seasoned and hardened Pike in the Wild Bunch.

For most filmmakers this would be a masterpiece, but Billy Wilder also made Double Indemnity and the Apartment. Also great performances across the board. Interesting to juxtapose William Holden's young, ambitious character here with his seasoned and hardened Pike in the Wild Bunch.
The Apartment is my favourite Billy Wilder movie, followed by Some Like it Hot and Stalag 17. The Wild Bunch is an excellent movie.

Most recent movie is Run (on Netflix) which is 7.5/10 and better than expected.

Great to see a post here about this movie! I do think of Sunset Boulevard as Wilder's masterpiece (and most iconic film), but I totally understand your point. Double Indemnity, in particular, has been a personal favorite for a very long time (since much earlier than when I came to enjoy other Wilder films), and is one which I think of as distinctive for having a cynical edge to it that feels almost unparalleled in its era. I'm not sure if it was indeed pioneering in that sense, but it stands the test of time either way.

As for Holden, when I've watched Network, that's the comparison with his performance in Sunset Boulevard that comes to my mind the most. That's had more to do with the difference in age and career trajectory between those two films than anything else, but the sort of juxtaposition you're suggesting is still applicable. His young/ambitious Joe versus his seasoned/hardened Max can also offer a sharp and intriguing contrast, IMO.

Fast and Furious 9 - 3/10

As somebody who is a big fan of the franchise and looks forward to each installment this movie was awful. Huge plot holes, stupid decisions by characters, scenes jumped so bad I had to rewind thinking something messed up, over the top action that was quite frankly stupid and not believable in the slightest. Dom jumps out of a truck going like 100 on pavement with no scratches. Cena gets hit by a car and nothing happens to him. Really really bad story telling and writing.

I’m actually shocked how much I hated this considering I really had no complaints with the others.

Only redeeming thing of this movie was the last minute that gives me hope Fast 10 and 11 is better.

Me neither. Fellowship is my favourite of the trilogy. Is the extended edition worth a watch?
Yes
For me the extended version of all the movies are all better than the theatrical versions. I have only watched the extended versions since they came out about 15 years ago.
Same here
8mx.gif

Yep… I don’t know what is wrong with him :lol

Midsommar 7-10 - enjoyed it much more the 2nd time and it was the director’s cut. Picked up on some things I missed the 1st go around and expectations were in check. I wanted another modern classic like Hereditary and that was a lot to ask.

The Blackcoat’s Daughter - 7 out of 10 - another I enjoyed more the 2nd time. Slow burn and not for everyone

If you like other A24 horror films you might want to give these a go.

Prisoners - 8/10
Second time I saw this film. I have to say I found it to be way better than the first time I watched it. Jackman is amazing in this one, as is Gyllenhaal. The film itself is beautifully shot and I love the bleak vibe the rain/snow and leafless trees give this film.

What We Do In The Shadows - 7/10
Definitely a fun film. Love the absurd comedy in this one. Reminded me a bit of C'est arrivé près de chez vouz (Man Bites Dog) where a documentary-filmcrew follows a serial killer around.

Last edited:
Clerks - 7/10

Clerks II - 7/10

Million Dollar Baby - 8/10

A great film, but damn depressing...
I love the Clerks movies. ''I shouldn't even BE here today!!'' strikes a chord, it's something we can all identify with at work :lol And Clerks was doing Star Wars references before it was 'cool'.

Million Dollar Baby is great but yeah I think I've only seen it twice due to how it leaves you. Another film that left the same feeling was A Star is Born, the Lady Ga Ga, Bradley Cooper film. Definitely worth one watch, maybe a second a few years down the road but you may never watch it again after that.
Prisoners - 8/10
Second time I saw this film. I have to say I found it to be way better than the first time I watched it. Jackman is amazing in this one, as is Gyllenhaal. The film itself is beautifully shot and I love the bleak vibe the rain/snow and leafless trees give this film.
Yeah, very good film.
Fast and Furious 9 - 3/10

As somebody who is a big fan of the franchise and looks forward to each installment this movie was awful. Huge plot holes, stupid decisions by characters, scenes jumped so bad I had to rewind thinking something messed up, over the top action that was quite frankly stupid and not believable in the slightest. Dom jumps out of a truck going like 100 on pavement with no scratches. Cena gets hit by a car and nothing happens to him. Really really bad story telling and writing.

I’m actually shocked how much I hated this considering I really had no complaints with the others.

Only redeeming thing of this movie was the last minute that gives me hope Fast 10 and 11 is better.
What the....two more?

The Legend Of 1900: 8/10

A very charming little film that baffles me with its critic score. It's 3-hous long yet barely feels half as long. Tornatore's critical darling is Cinema Paradiso, but personally I prefer The Best Offer. Even knowing the twist it's still an engrossing film. Anyway, back to this one, I really can't find any faults. Maybe some wonky CGI for its time. I suppose the end is a tad incomplete. After 3-hours the payoff is a bit too small. Still, it's a film that I'll surely revisit in the future. Just a great and whimsical ride.

Summer Of Soul.. 8/10 just the fact that it exists is amazing enough to give it my score.If it was more of a Concert film like Monterey Pop it would be a 10/10. Sly and the Family Stone kicks some serious funk butt.
It's interspersed with some political jive but then, that was the time.

Pig (2021): 9/10

Never would've guessed! On paper, it's just a story about a guy who gets his pig stolen. How can anyone turn that into a thoughtful character study with effective use of existential themes? Well, that's exactly what this film is.

It's pace is very slow and methodical, which will almost certainly bore some people to tears, but the overall impact is maximized by this sort of measured and deliberate approach. It's a film about handling loss and grief. The artful way it decides to take that journey makes it powerful enough to be memorable and thought-provoking. I can't really ask for more than that, and I don't think this particular narrative could've been handled any better.

Nicolas Cage actually keeps his performance subdued all the way through and disappears enough into his role to make it excellent. The couple of brief violent outbursts that his character has here are also uncharacteristically subdued and appropriate. And the last few frames of him with a key bit of music playing as the story fades to the end credits are hauntingly effective. That particular imagery is gonna stick with me (for better or worse) for a while.

This won't appeal to everyone, but will absolutely reward those who don't mind being patient and contemplative with what they're watching. Reflecting back, I can't think of a single sequence where any frame was wasted. All of the scenes were building something worthwhile, slowly constructing the character study and revealing bits and pieces in a clever way. And the takeaways weren't just reserved for Cage's character.

Very well crafted. Excellent.

I remember the trailer for Pig, it did look like surprisingly good.

Otherwise:

Whiplash (2013): 9/10

I haven't seen this one since shortly after it came out but man does it still hold up. Another movie that on paper doesn't sound very compelling at all but wow Simmons' performance just has to be seen to be believed. Just a rock solid flick that is absolutely riveting from beginning to end.

Last edited:

I haven't seen this one since shortly after it came about but man does it still hold up. Another movie that on paper doesn't sound very compelling at all but man Simmons' performance just has to be seen to be believed. Just a rock solid flick from beginning to end.
Simmons terrified me in that film. I don't mind saying I just could not handle that guy. I'd either be a quivering wreck OR I'd respond to him with violence, it'd be one extreme or the other.

I remember the trailer for Pig, it did look like surprisingly good.

Otherwise:

I haven't seen this one since shortly after it came about but man does it still hold up. Another movie that on paper doesn't sound very compelling at all but man Simmons' performance just has to be seen to be believed. Just a rock solid flick from beginning to end.
Agreed on Whiplash. That ending, in particular, was outstanding!

I watched Whiplash a few months ago cause it somehow went completely under my radar when it came out.

It's one of the very rare modern Hollywood movies I really, really liked. You guys know I hate everything. Not this. Wow, talk about two riveting performances!

I didn't want it to end! I was so bummed out that it was over. I would have happily watched these two for another hour at least.

I love the Clerks movies. ''I shouldn't even BE here today!!'' strikes a chord, it's something we can all identify with at work :lol And Clerks was doing Star Wars references before it was 'cool'.

Million Dollar Baby is great but yeah I think I've only seen it twice due to how it leaves you. Another film that left the same feeling was A Star is Born, the Lady Ga Ga, Bradley Cooper film. Definitely worth one watch, maybe a second a few years down the road but you may never watch it again after that.

Yeah, very good film.

What the....two more?
Agreed about Clerks. I think everyone can identify with Clerks at some point or another. Be it a boring job, doing something you don't want or trying to meet other people's standards about what is considered "normal".
I'm interested in the third one. I wonder if it's going to reach the same level as the first two.

I also agree about A Star is Born. Watched that late last year or early this year. A great film, but not something I'm about to watch again anytime soon. I know I will watch it again, but could very well be over ten years.
The last time I watched Million Dollar Baby before the other day, is at least eight years ago.

Back