RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me the extended version of all the movies are all better than the theatrical versions. I have only watched the extended versions since they came out about 15 years ago.
For me as well. I've only seen the theatrical versions in the period before the extended ones were available. That took a couple of months after the regular release. Ever since it has only been extended for me.

Same goes for The Hobbit. Only saw the theatrical cuts in the cinema. Bought the extended ones on Blu.

I'm far from a hardcore Lord of the Rings fans (never read the books), but thought those movies were great, and felt the extended versions added real value and are superior to the theatrical ones. I don't know what Jackson's process was, but it didn't feel to me like the additions were tacked on, but rather that the extra pieces were simply cut for time in the initial releases. Fleshes out a lot of things and adds some good context.

Shadow (2018): 8.5/10

Of the handful of wuxia films that Zhang Yimou has made, this is probably my favorite. It doesn't have as much action/fighting as the others, but it also doesn't have as much melodrama and over-the-top gimmickry. I'm very fond of retribution themes in storytelling, so that probably worked in this movie's favor for me as well. In terms of the technical aspects: the cinematography, set design, and costumes are outstanding. And I found some of the choreography and acting to be very strong too.

From a director so known for his use of bold colors, the black/gray aesthetic here not only makes this film distinctive but also proves that his mastery of visual presentation doesn't diminish one bit without his signature color saturation. In fact, I prefer this muted aesthetic because it helps make the tone (of the fight scenes in particular) feel harsher and more earnest to me. And as always is the case with Zhang's work, the overall visuals were amazing, and the most impressive feature.

The plot-heavy and character-driven scenes kept me intrigued, and were helped by good performances and interactions. The dual roles from the lead actor (Chao Deng) made for a particularly strong performance, with a great job of differentiating the two. And the integration of both of his characters on screen at the same time was amazing in how seamless it was. I'm going to need to watch some behind-the-scenes stuff to see how exactly they did that.

It's great to see a world-class filmmaker continue to find ways to innovate and/or differentiate after being decades into his filmography. I think Shadow is an excellent demonstration of Zhang Yimou doing exactly that. Loved it!

Lord of the Rings The Return of the King - 7/10

I pretty much forgot everything the last time I watched this. Never knew there was a bigger Mary Rey Sue than Rey, but Eowyn might just take the cake. Gandalf can’t even beat the Witch-King but she can? Geezus. So poorly written. Unbelievable. Dude looks at Gandalf and breaks his staff and kicks his ass, but facing the power of a woman oh boy he is like a moron. I could have believed it if it was better handled but my god that scene made me laugh. IM NO MAN. :lol

Sam and Frodo are definitely gay too. The dialogue between them throughout the trilogy... yeeesh. Just **** already. I don’t care if they are gay, but damn if that was supposed to be a normal male friendship that is written so bad. Like make them gay or make them friends, that middle ground of are they aren’t they is just bad.

A lot of storylines I didn’t really enjoy as much in this one.

Another thing, how the hell does Legolas miss the Orc igniting the bomb in Twin Towers. Piss poor writing again.

Overall I think LOTR is overrated. Really really great, but overrated.

LOTR Trilogy - 8.5/10

Hobbit Trilogy - 9/10

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - 8/10
Definitely one of my favorite comedies. Hadn't seen it in years. While watching it, some jokes and scenes came back to me just before they happened in the movie, so I was enjoying them before I saw them again and enjoyed them even more when they happened.

This definitely is a classic that should be cherished. Movies like this won't be made anymore in this current climate of PC-correctness.

LOTR Trilogy - 8.5/10

Hobbit Trilogy - 9/10
8mx.gif

The Outpost - 8/10

Always hard to score a war film due to them being based on real life events. Makes a good setting for a film however the thought of experiencing what those soldiers went through is awful.

I thought this was excellent and the one location setting really adds to the claustrophobic terror the soldiers would have felt. Would highly recommend giving it a watch.

I’m a PT Fanatic through and through.

I just enjoyed The Hobbit more. Like, LOTR is probably the better made trilogy/more faithful adaptation, but as far as my personal enjoyment goes, it is undoubtedly The Hobbit. All the characters are waaaay better imo. Better story imo too.

Bilbo > Frodo/Sam

Thorin > Aragorn

Kili/Fili > Pippin/Merry

Dwalin/Balin > Baromir/Faramir

Hobbit Gandalf/Legoals > LOTR Gandalf/Legolas

Hobbit Tauriel > LOTR Eowyn, Arwen

Hobbit Galadriel > LOTR Galadriel

Hobbit Elrond > LOTR Elrond

Hobbit Dwarves > LOTR Trees

Azog > Any LOTR Orc

Smaug/Goblins > Sauron/Nazgul

Hobbit Gollum = LOTR Gollum

Only characters that are better in LOTR...

Gimli > Bard

LOTR Saruman > Hobbit Saruman

I’m a PT Fanatic through and through.

I just enjoyed The Hobbit more. Like, LOTR is probably the better made trilogy/more faithful adaptation, but as far as my personal enjoyment goes, it is undoubtedly The Hobbit. All the characters are waaaay better imo. Better story imo too.

Bilbo > Frodo/Sam

Thorin > Aragorn

Kili/Fili > Pippin/Merry
(Only better than Merry)

Dwalin/Balin > Baromir/Faramir

Hobbit Gandalf/Legoals > LOTR Gandalf/Legolas

Hobbit Tauriel > LOTR Eowyn, Arwen

Hobbit Galadriel > LOTR Galadriel

Hobbit Elrond > LOTR Elrond

Hobbit Dwarves = LOTR Trees (About the same for me.)

Azog > Any LOTR Orc

Smaug/Goblins > Sauron/Nazgul (Smaug equals Nazgul, but beats Sauron and Goblins)

Hobbit Gollum = LOTR Gollum (Hobbit Gollum beats LOTR Gollum for me).

Only characters that are better in LOTR...

Gimli > Bard

LOTR Saruman > Hobbit Saruman
Have to agree with you at some points (green in your quote), and disagree with others (red).

Lord of the Rings The Return of the King - 7/10

I pretty much forgot everything the last time I watched this. Never knew there was a bigger Mary Rey Sue than Rey, but Eowyn might just take the cake. Gandalf can’t even beat the Witch-King but she can? Geezus. So poorly written. Unbelievable. Dude looks at Gandalf and breaks his staff and kicks his ass, but facing the power of a woman oh boy he is like a moron. I could have believed it if it was better handled but my god that scene made me laugh. IM NO MAN. :lol

Sam and Frodo are definitely gay too. The dialogue between them throughout the trilogy... yeeesh. Just **** already. I don’t care if they are gay, but damn if that was supposed to be a normal male friendship that is written so bad. Like make them gay or make them friends, that middle ground of are they aren’t they is just bad.

A lot of storylines I didn’t really enjoy as much in this one.

Another thing, how the hell does Legolas miss the Orc igniting the bomb in Twin Towers. Piss poor writing again.

Overall I think LOTR is overrated. Really really great, but overrated.

LOTR Trilogy - 8.5/10

Hobbit Trilogy - 9/10
I love both trilogies but recently when I feel I need a hit of Middle Earth I tend to put in The Hobbit Trilogy.

The Suicide Squad (2021): 6.5/10

Meh.

The best thing I can say about it is that it's unique enough to definitely feel like an authentic representation of the filmmaker's vision. That's something I'll always applaud even if the material doesn't connect with me.

I thought this movie was at its best when it was being completely random, irreverent, and subversive. But when it was actually following through on plot, I found it much less interesting and too mundane. It played to me like a collection of some great moments where the glue holding them together was lackluster enough to make the sum of those parts vastly inferior. And there were a few spots that seemed to be trying so hard to be "cool" that all I could do was cringe.

There's a scene in the third act between Peacemaker and Flag that seemed to be an attempt at providing a "serious" element which just felt to me like such an unnecessary departure from the overall tone of the rest of the movie that it actually took me out of the experience. It has a payoff at the end, but not one that couldn't have been gained without that pivot.

I think the whole thing would've benefited from 15 to 20 minutes being trimmed off of the total runtime. There's another scene where some of the Squad is riding a bus, and for some reason becomes a session for sharing personal background with each other. This just doesn't seem like the kind of movie that needs this sort of character building since there's no attempt at any true "heart" that isn't part of the overall self-aware joke. Another example of a payoff at the end not really justifying the detour.

With GOTG, Gunn aimed for charm with a family-like character dynamic and hit a bullseye. With this one, he aimed for quirky and raunchy. Even if he hit a bullseye here as well (he did), those attributes will never resonate the same way. I can see this being a cult classic with a hardcore niche following, but I don't see general audiences feeling any need to revisit it, or even to give it a moment's thought ever again.

"The Suicide Squad."

3/10.

Ugly, gross, nihilistic, flat humor....just an overall NOT fun experience.

Ford vs. Ferrari: 6.5/10
Enjoyable film, particularly if you love intense car races. Very competently made, and the acting was really good, but it lacked a level of authenticity that could have pushed it to the next level. Clearly meant to be a crowd pleaser. Something to be said for that, but not my ideal movie. Christian Bale was acting at a very high level, though.

Jackie Brown: 9/10
Tarantino dialogue and plotting at its best. Love this movie so much.

Hail, Caesar!: 7/10
I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more when I last saw it at the theater. That is often the case with the Coen Bros., though. I thought a couple of scenes didn't work very well, but on balance, the humor and tone really worked for me this time around.

The Suicide Squad: 8/10
For me, this is what a comic movie should be. Fun, over the top action and violence, but still containing some real heart, drama, and stakes. And it's a great synthesis of the different styles and genres Gunn has been involved with thus far from Slither, to Super, to Guardians. Grading this on a scale of sorts, because it's not great film if you are comparing this to, say, a Scorsese or Cronenberg movie, but it is a great comic book movie in my opinion.

The Suicide Squad - 7/10
It was quite different than I'd imagined or expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I'm going to have to give it a second watch. (But I'll wait for it to become available to watch from home).
There were a lot of things I liked, but also a couple of things I didn't like, the backstory scene in the bus for example, like @ajp4mgs mentioned, or some really dumb jokes like the "why would they have a beach full of p****es" scene that was also in one of the trailers. Very cringy that one...

Overall a fun watch, but it won't be for everyone. My girlfriend didn't like it that much. She found some things to be funny, but mostly she thought it was over the top silly, stupid and gross.

The Suicide Squad - 7/10
It was quite different than I'd imagined or expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I'm going to have to give it a second watch. (But I'll wait for it to become available to watch from home).
There were a lot of things I liked, but also a couple of things I didn't like, the backstory scene in the bus for example, like @ajp4mgs mentioned, or some really dumb jokes like the "why would they have a beach full of p****es" scene that was also in one of the trailers. Very cringy that one...

Overall a fun watch, but it won't be for everyone. My girlfriend didn't like it that much. She found some things to be funny, but mostly she thought it was over the top silly, stupid and gross.
I thought it was great. Seeing it in a cinema crowd definitely added to the experience.

Ratcatcher was the standout for me - but I'm a sucker for an animal sidekick. :lol

6ltT.gif

Back